An Image for a "Landing Page"?

4 replies
I have seen some really cool (to me) landing pages that are primarily a picture and minimal links. To me, it's the opposite of the norm, which makes it stand out.

However, I want to know what you guys think or have found. Is a big picture a big waste of space?

*I'm talking about a commercial space, in which people would usually know where they are landing.
#effective #image #landing page
  • Profile picture of the author Dennis Gaskill
    Opposite of the norm? To me they seem pretty common.

I haven't used one, but I would imagine they work better in some niches than others. Much probably depends on the implementation. A big picture for the sake of having a big picture may not do much. A relevant big picture might help set an appropriate mood.

As always, test, test, and test. What works, or doesn't work, for someone else may provide the opposite results for you.
    Signature

Just when you think you've got it all figured out, someone changes the rules.

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11248097].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnVianny
    There's only a rule: AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBILE.

People would not fall in love with your picture, they will land in your site for almost 30 second, and you have the task to capture their attention in that span of time.

So, if the image is more suitable, ok.

In my opt in page (see signature) i have an image with text, and some text above which reinforce the message.

opt in or leave. no other choice.

It has to be well explained by image or text what the user will encounter after opt in.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11248221].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve B
    Originally Posted by tritrain View Post

I have seen some really cool (to me) landing pages that are primarily a picture

I assume you're talking about a background image.

Also, just to clarify, the term "landing page" is really just any page that is the target of one of your links.

A squeeze page is a type of landing page - usually with an opt-in box (and an offer for something in return for personal email information).

So IMO, yes, at times having a background image with an opt-in box can be effective as a squeeze page (as Dennis mentions) in certain niches. But he's also right about his advice to test your page and see what difference there is not using an image.

If your business was a hotel, or restaurant, or a spa, or a bakery, or a travel service, etc, I think having an image of that physical location would be appropriate. On the other hand, if you sell, for instance, lots of products, or a digital service, or SEO, etc, than maybe displaying a background image wouldn't really add anything to your page. I would say it depends upon how closely the image relates to or expresses the image you want your prospects to have in their mind as they experience your brand or site.

Good luck with your business,

Steve
    Signature

Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
    SteveBrowneDirect

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11248240].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    I always look at it as if my visitor was watching a TV commercial. They can click to the next channel if they want, and if your big picture on your site is loading too slow... they will instantly click away to the next channel (or webpage). I think simple text, a benefit, and an opt-in form will do you fine. If you choose to add an image, compress it but make it still look high quality so that it can load fast, but also look clean.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11248283].message }}

Trending Topics