9 replies
10 instances when passion temporarily helps:

1. You're too tired to write today's blog post but you know it needs to be done;
  2. There are too many outside distractions and you're veering off course;
  3. You create products and services. Who wants to buy a product created by someone that has no excitement for the subject?
  4. You need to keep up your enthusiasm even though your business is in the early lean stages;
  5. You want to motivate your followers to get excited about purchasing one of your products or services;
  6. You're building up your authority status and wanting to instruct or lead others;
  7. You've decided to become a career student of your niche;
  8. You feel like folding up the tent even though there is still potential for your business;
  9. As you interact with your customers and prospects - they want to know that you'll care for them as they begin trusting you and your advice and recommendations;
  10. As others compare you with the competition, it helps if your passion is easily recognized - that enthusiasm will carry over into your paid products and advice.
But is passion for the subject of your business enough by itself? NO!

Is passion for the subject a good reason to choose a niche? NO, not by itself!

Does passion make up for other personal shortcomings or lack of ability by the business owner? NO!

Does passion keep you from getting bored, burned out, or tired of working in your business? NO, but it can possibly delay those feelings somewhat!

IMO, passion is like the frosting on a cake . . . it adds sweetness and helps the business be more palatable, but if that's all there is in your business, you're soon going to get sick of nothing but frosting and your passion will easily turn into drudgery and pain.

Just my opinion, as always,

Steve
#passion
  • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
    Banned
    Good advice. Thanks Steve. : )

Yeah a Person/Marketer has to be passionate about something that's going to make money.

A person may be passionate about collecting stamps however without a great deal of creativity that isn't going to be a successful endeavour ...

(Just an example.)

That said I think passion can be an important component to being successful. (It just has to be focused on something that's going to work.) Many times it's a Person's passion that keep them working through the more "difficult" times.

2c.
    Signature
    "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11248907].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zaleckihudle12
    Hi Steve, Thanks for sharing. Those are good advice for me to continue on "the road"
    But i think it's always better to do something with PASSION.

Zalecki.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11249313].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author discrat
    Yeah I always thought having a "passion: for the process was more IMPT. than having "passion" for the actual niche/subject. If you can have both that is ideal

- Robert Andrew
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11249488].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jbsmith
    Totally agree passion isn't everything...but I do firmly believe (after years of operating businesses and helping others do the same) that it IS a prerequisite.

It doesn't necessarily have to be a passion about the subject of the business itself but could also be about your role in it (Ex: some people just love selling and so as long as they can gain belief in the product they will achieve success by being a master sales person); or it could be about the market you serve and even though you may not be 100% passionate about your product, you are instead passionate about the result it has on someone's life; it could be a general passion to be an entrepreneur...to solve problems, start new things, act independently and that passion drives you each day.

The fact is every successful business person I have known has been passionate about SOME aspect of what they do...I would argue you MUST be to make it through the challenges, learning and constant change
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11249495].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    A zillion years ago when pterodactyls still roamed the sky, I made this little Venn diagram:

You need some passion, but you need the ability to solve a problem people are willing to pay money to solve.

A well-known marketer started his business selling urinals.

D'ya think he was PASSIONATE about urinals?

No, but I bet he was passionate about the contracting field, construction, helping commercial builders and renovators.

People need to get their heads straight about this stuff. The passion does not have to be in the product.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11249504].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DIABL0
    If you choose to build a business from something you are passionate about, you had better make sure that it is monetizable. At the same time, you can simply be passionate about marketing and what your marketing isn't really that important.

My core business is lead generation, however, the leads that I generate mean nothing to me other than it's how I get paid. What I am passionate about is the system / process that I build to generate the leads.
    Signature
    How to Build LARGE EMAIL LISTS on a Budget and MONETIZE Like a PRO
    20+ Years Exp . . . . . . . . . . . . Email - CPA - PPL
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11249553].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jamel Hassell
    you are correct . Passion does help to a certain degree however like you mentioned there is more to the puzzle .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11249562].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Passion is nowhere near enough. You have to do the work, period. There will be days where you dont feel like marketing - but you have to do it if you want to get more customers, and have them buy from you over and over again so that you can profit - but more importantly - lower your costs of advertising.... which will make your profits even greater.

Passion alone won't do all of these things. But physical manual labor for about 50 minutes a day will.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11249650].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Randall Magwood View Post

Passion is nowhere near enough. You have to do the work, period.
      Good point. : ) (However -- many times -- a Person's passion will help/inspire them to do the necessary work.)
      Signature
      "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11249691].message }}

Trending Topics