What Kind of Personal Growth "Product" Would You Actually Pay Money for?

24 replies
I ask because, there's a TON of free personal growth content on the internet.

And I'm not just talking about ammeters. You can find stuff by Earl Nightengale, Anthony Robbins, Bob Proctor, Stephen Covey. And a WHOLE bunch of other legends. Especially on YouTube.

What products would you actually pay money to get your hands on?
#growth #kind #money #pay #personal #product
  • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
    Originally Posted by mrjackpowers View Post

And I'm not just talking about ammeters. You can find stuff by Earl Nightengale, Anthony Robbins, Bob Proctor, Stephen Covey. And a WHOLE bunch of other legends. Especially on YouTube.

MrJackPowers,

Want to make another fortune? Develop a personal growth product about ME (the collective me).

Instead of offering a system, formula, pillars, plans, other people's experience, anecdotal success....instead of an off the rack solution, which most so-called LEGENDS offer...

offer a custom PERSONAL solution to whatever growth your targets want.

There are some examples outside of the mainstream, self-help, personal growth market place, some on the fringe, but with adaptable guidelines.

I'd pay when it is about ME, and not about the "do what I did, get what I got" tired worn out and totally ineffective mantra of all those old legends.

GordonJ
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11248846].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

MrJackPowers,

Want to make another fortune? Develop a personal growth product about ME (the collective me).
      I dunno, l find that saying that l used to be destitute, and fought my two pet dalmations for scraps of food, (including Maccers).

And now, l can get up every morning, spinning around, outta my way, l know that you are,...never mind, but yeah, greeting the new day with a song in my heart.

Then walking my dogs along the beach, while my beautiful wife, catches up on her pole dancing lessons.

Then spend another day counting my zillions, from my Push Button, (can do it in your underwear, while juggling midgets) Super Cool System, tends to draw them in.

But for me, l wouldn't spend 1k on some seminar, but would consider a $30 book.

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11249385].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author GordonJ
        Originally Posted by tagiscom View Post

I dunno, l find that saying that l used to be destitute, and fought my two pet dalmations for scraps of food, (including Maccers).

And now, l can get up every morning, spinning around, outta my way, l know that you are,...never mind, but yeah, greeting the new day with a song in my heart.

Then walking my dogs along the beach, while my beautiful wife, catches up on her pole dancing lessons.

Then spend another day counting my zillions, from my Push Button, (can do it in your underwear, while juggling midgets) Super Cool System, tends to draw them in.

But for me, l wouldn't spend 1k on some seminar, but would consider a $30 book.

You're saying the old Karbo, sleep on the in-laws couch in their basement driving a beater and then making THE discovery which led to millions...

is THE story which draws people in for self development?

The before/after model?

If so, I strongly disagree. But, my interpretation may be off too.

That may be the de facto story for make money crowd, but Self Improvement is a more sophisticated beast.

GordonJ
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11249431].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Odahh
    remember a lot of the "free"stuff out there now is meant to drive those who might pay money for stuff ..like seminars and personal coaching ..into a funnel .

and many of the personal growth people put there stuff online to get invitations to do speeches ..that use to be a big reason to write books ..in order to get speaking gigs do workshops seminars and personal coaching ..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11248876].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardraysnight
    fertiliser works well for me

check out my tomatoes
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11248908].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sethczerepak

I suspect, you're trying to get a feel for the market? Seems like the only rational motivation for such a post. If so, the "secret," isn't to create a product people will pay for. The secret is to become the type of person people will pay to listen to. I say this because you're asking about a VERY personality-driven industry.

Of course, you need a product. But these days, it's more important to become someone of authority. That means becoming know FOR something. Unless you have one hell of a charismatic personalty and ability to connect with people. That said, I don't know Jack about you (pun intended), so I'd advise you to do this...

1) Pick a specific market. For example, sales people, speakers, MLMers, IMers. You'll become someone faster if you appeal to a specific subculture.
    2) Find a media channel that brings out your natural charisma (If you have any that is. Sorry, just being honest). Make sure it's a place where your target market is likely to find you.
    3) Pick a damn specific revelation you can share. Like, teaching people to overcome fear of rejection, or to increase willpower etc. Make sure it means something to your target audience. Once you carve out a reputation for one thing, you can always brand off into other things.
    4) Start a series of short pieces (videos, blogs...whatever your media channel calls for), and start publishing and sharing them.

Finally, join a local group (or something like that) were you can find your target audience and get to know them. Don't go in with an agenda, other than to get to know them. The better you know your target market, the faster you'll figure out how to create stuff that matters for them.

If you do all these things, and if you're patient, your question will eventually answer itself. If you don't, you ought to take that dude's advice about the tomatoes and become a farmer instead. ;-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11249445].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by sethczerepak View Post

I suspect, you're trying to get a feel for the market? Seems like the only rational motivation for such a post. If so, the "secret," isn't to create a product people will pay for. The secret is to become the type of person people will pay to listen to. I say this because you're asking about a VERY personality-driven industry.
      Smartest thing I've read here in a long time.
      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11292128].message }}
    Originally Posted by GordonJ View Post

You're saying the old Karbo, sleep on the in-laws couch in their basement driving a beater and then making THE discovery which led to millions...

is THE story which draws people in for self development?

The before/after model?

If so, I strongly disagree. But, my interpretation may be off too.

That may be the de facto story for make money crowd, but Self Improvement is a more sophisticated beast.

GordonJ
    True, more soph,....hmmm, well, slightly more, look at Anthony Robbins for example. I bought Power Within, (something like that) and got one good thing from it, but that was it, the rest is entertaining, with motivational story, etc.

Large book for $30 bucks!

But would l p***s away $1000, (rough AU price) to see him for a few days for 10 hour shifts per day, for virtually the same information with the exception of crying on stage, dancing to Eye of the Tiger, shaking some strangers hand, walking on coals, and trying to ask out the first attractive women that you see at the breaks times, to justify 1k, nope!

Nor would l p**s away 15k, to see him at his Hawaiian home, for 10 minutes, and then go a jump out of a plane to overcome fear!

I would go and read Rich Dad, and invest it, then probably invest it again, so when asset two is coughing up consider it.

But by then l wouldn't need it, so....

Motivational Gurus, know that plenty of people can and will p***s away vast sums to get ahead in life, and they tap into that.

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11249457].message }}

True, more soph,....hmmm, well, slightly more, look at Anthony Robbins for example. I bought Power Within, (something like that) and got one good thing from it, but that was it, the rest is entertaining, with motivational story, etc.

Large book for $30 bucks!

But by then l wouldn't need it, so....

Motivational Gurus, know that plenty of people can and will p***s away vast sums to get ahead in life, and they tap into that.

well the people who do something with the information and have businesses .. are not pissing awy the cash.. they can put the expence of the trip on their business ..and there is a good chance they are networking with others who are able /willing to pay that and making contacts that lead to more money for them /their businesses .

poor/middle class people only see the price tag .. people building wealth see the investment
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11249509].message }}
        Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

well the people who do something with the information and have businesses .. are not pissing awy the cash.. they can put the expence of the trip on their business ..and there is a good chance they are networking with others who are able /willing to pay that and making contacts that lead to more money for them /their businesses .

poor/middle class people only see the price tag .. people building wealth see the investment
        Good chance? From what others have said about it, they go away tapping their burnt feet, and trying to justify the cost, apart from the tax ritoff crowd.

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11249531].message }}

Good chance? From what others have said about it, they go away tapping their burnt feet, and trying to justify the cost, apart from the tax ritoff crowd.

the crowd of write of people who get far more value than what they spend over time ..is muc much bigger than you think ..then yeah there are a lot of seminar motivation junkies who attend seminars to get the dopamine fix .

the math work out that only 1 percent of people will be in the top 1 percent who get results and get far more value than the majority ..so if you only focus on the majority who in your view get little to no value ..

but having a negative view of people who spend large chunks of cash.. in ways you feel is pissing it away ..and i am not just talking to Tagiscom with this statement ..is a huge block to personal growth ..

there is a dark economy in the world where a good 20-40 percent of the economic transactions are not tracked ..and the write of economy where a a large chunk of big dollar transactions get written off and not added to the GDP of the World /nation

if you only see the initial cost .. and not the potential value return over time .. it might be time to learn to see that .
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11249563].message }}
    Originally Posted by Odahh View Post

the crowd of write of people who get far more value than what they spend over time ..is muc much bigger than you think ..then yeah there are a lot of seminar motivation junkies who attend seminars to get the dopamine fix .

the math work out that only 1 percent of people will be in the top 1 percent who get results and get far more value than the majority ..so if you only focus on the majority who in your view get little to no value ..

but having a negative view of people who spend large chunks of cash.. in ways you feel is pissing it away ..and i am not just talking to Tagiscom with this statement ..is a huge block to personal growth ..

there is a dark economy in the world where a good 20-40 percent of the economic transactions are not tracked ..and the write of economy where a a large chunk of big dollar transactions get written off and not added to the GDP of the World /nation

if you only see the initial cost .. and not the potential value return over time .. it might be time to learn to see that .
    Sure, it would be interesting to see, how many get ahead by buying a $30 book, and jumping out of a plane for $600, instead of p***g away 15k, to talk to Anthony for 15 minutes, (which unless he shows you how to print money is useless) and jumping out of a plane?

This is a bit like a wedding, we spent 50k on our dream wedding and have to life with our parents since we p***s away the 50k on our wedding.

If you want to create wealth quickly then using common sense is necessary.

Originally Posted by Mighty Bo View Post

i paid for psychic resurgence..mainly to upgrade myself on a quantum level.

It worked.
    What worked?

Originally Posted by Claude Whitacre View Post

Smartest thing I've read here in a long time.
    WHAT! I thought that you were a genius that was unwavering, and Sylvester gives you his paw stamp of approval on your head?

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11292241].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    using common sense is necessary.
    I'm so proud! I've been saying that for years and I didn't think you were listening. Bless your heart.
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog
    One secret to happiness is to let every situation be
    what it is instead of what you think it should be.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11292264].message }}
  • I know plenty guys got a real thing for personal growth in a niche area.

They wanna get real big sumplace personally special -- typically for max effect in the persuasion & delivery areas.

I loveta lend a hand when I can -- cos nuthin' beats the personal touch when it comesta creatin' sumthin' really monstrous -- but mostly I direct 'em to their email spam folder.

"Spam is the graveyard for personal growth products," I say. "Scroll down, scroll up, scroll down again ... anya soon gonna size up a humdinger near pokesya in the eye."
    Signature

Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff togethah.

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11294239].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11294952].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bayo

I share a lot with my personal development demographic i.e. people who pay for my products and here are some of the things my clients and buyers pay for and also what I pay money for.

Products that:
    • Speak to FEARS
    • Speak to FRUSTRATIONS
    • Educate on what it's COSTING not to have the things desired in terms of time, money and lifestyle
    • ARTICULATE DESIRES in ways that resonate
    • Provide a clear BLUEPRINT to get to the things above
    • Provide a TIMELINE for achievement IF the steps are put into action (which is something I am up-front about that it's the buyer's responsibility to implement. I can't guarantee you anything since I don't know IF you'll take action and I expect the same when I pay for products
    The truth of the matter is that there aren't that many "new" discoveries around.

I was a student of personal growth, self-help and self-development even before I knew what it was.

Thanks to having had the chance to grow up in an environment where the culture embraced it.
    "Like many other PD and self-help enthusiasts I own, have READ and STUDIED many of the classics. Reading is easy. It's study and application that makes a difference."
    It's pretty much the same information given from different perspectives which is great because we get to learn insights from people from all walks of life.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11306090].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
    Banned

That's true. However when searching Google (etc.) it's all very random and haphazard. Many People/Markets would appreciate a Person/Business bringing all of that best information into a coherent product (etc.)

2C
    Signature
    "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11306107].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Larry X
    It recreated a reality of its own and swarmed me inside.

I had to partake in a role I wasn't familiar with.

But it felt fulfilling.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11306120].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author R0b328
    personally, I would pay for any personal growth content that I see huge value in. For example, books, conferences, anything that will help me get to me goals.

One thing I invest in regularly is books
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11306129].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author heavysm
    If a free sample blew me away, or i heard them speak and their message moved me deeply, I would research them and be deeply inclined to think that their products were legit.

When you are moved by a product creator and/or their sample before you even get their product, that should give a good indication of the value they'll be presenting later in their product.

I have literally purchased products AFTER i saw a youtube video of them talking about their expertise and/or experienced a sample of their services.

The thing that i experience from them has to move me deeply, which kind of goes beyond marketing.

If you hit me at a deep emotional/ subconscious level that i can't easily explain, something big is happening and i want to know about how that person can help me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11309209].message }}

Trending Topics