Brainstorm: If you lived steps away from lots of money being spent

22 replies
So I literally live at the doorstep of Walt Disney World. Families have saved up and are spending lots of money to be here. Disney does a good job of offering tourists a near-complete experience, but there are always needs. How can I fill those needs? What would you do in this situation, if anything?
#brainstorm #lived #lots #money #spent #steps
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Did you just move to Orlando? You have to identify those 'needs' - and research the competition. There WILL be competition.

When I've been near Disney World one thing I've noticed (for years) is the number of merchants who have been able to capitalize on that tourist attraction.

My advice would be to study what others are selling or what service they offer - and find a way to improve on it and compete. Keep in mind Disney protects its trademarked brand.
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog
    One secret to happiness is to let every situation be
    what it is instead of what you think it should be.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11248798].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author savidge4
    Psst.. hey you.. the person that lives next to Disney... get a season pass.. and start a vlog.. do food reviews ride reviews best times to come etc etc blah blah blah...

I don't think there is anyone else doing this.. like weekly twice weekly uploads - would be awesome.
    Signature
    Success is an ACT not an idea
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11249103].message }}
    • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11249139].message }}
        Originally Posted by LifeDrawnBadly View Post

I'm listening. Now how about monetization?
        From an online standpoint.... this is one of those ideas that... I'm surprised someone if not a bunch of people are not doing. I did do a bit longer than a quick search and found no one that does a "Disney" Vlog - aside from people that take trips day 1 day 2 day 3 kinda stuff. There is literally a hole that could easily be filled.

I would take some time, and watch vloggers like Peter McKinnon not only to learn tricks and tips in video and image taking but pay attention over the last few months in particular what he has done with his branding, and how monetization came to him and not the other way around. Also take note of his catch phrase "and... AND" ( wont make sense now but watch him and you'll get it.

Watch Casey Niestat.. he has videos on how to do a vlog. He has a pretty straight forward equation about the cinematography and how to use it, and an outline of how the content should flow.

Watch Roman Atwood The consistency with the outro, how he progressively ups his cinematography, and the overall message he delivers.

There are tons of others.. but of the content I personally watch these stand out in a lot of ways. The delivery is consistent. The content is consistent. and the branding is genius ( In the case of Casey - very underutilized I would say )

What I would do to start... Naming the channel would be CRITICAL. Not so much off the get go, but branding and merch later VERY VERY important. Start the channel and start a website. A twitter and Facebook page might be suggested as well.. at the very least try and get a brandable name that can be replicated across social platforms.

I would think with some overall consistency in content dropping, you should make some headway in pretty short order ( YouTube time a year or less ) The website on the other hand will be at the mercy of YouTube channel ) But use the website to give added visual for the video.. maps images etc

Monetizing... YouTube pays roughly $7.60 per 1000 ad views - or boosting the number $2000 per 1,000,000 views Sounds far fetched right? BUT with Disney World getting on average 50,000 visitors per DAY - Something like 20,000,000 per year its not that hard to make the stretch.

The key is without question the content - Its wouldn't be capturing YOUR visit to the mouse but how your viewer could optimize their visit.

As the website volume develops I would look at adding maybe someone like Expedia into the mix to start ( but I would not do this in the beginning - let it build to a point ) There comes a traffic potential point when working with Expedia - that you have access to a dept that will help you integrate their product into your site, and they work with you to optimize that conversion. This is something I do, and have found that are beyond helpful, and I have found they play more to the side of caution in terms of your site integrity vs them just suggesting to pack it full of ads if you know what I mean.

As your YouTube traffic grows, you then want to think merch... setting up meet and greets or some special event.. reaching out to Disney directly etc etc BUT have the patience to have something to bring to the table.. not an idea.. but a valid following!

Hope that Helps!
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11249234].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Marcus W K Wong
          Originally Posted by savidge4 View Post

I would take some time, and watch vloggers like Peter McKinnon not only to learn tricks and tips in video and image taking but pay attention over the last few months in particular what he has done with his branding, and how monetization came to him and not the other way around. Also take note of his catch phrase "and... AND" ( wont make sense now but watch him and you'll get it.

Watch Casey Niestat.. he has videos on how to do a vlog. He has a pretty straight forward equation about the cinematography and how to use it, and an outline of how the content should flow.

Watch Roman Atwood The consistency with the outro, how he progressively ups his cinematography, and the overall message he delivers.
          +1 for Casey Niestat. He has some great content that hypes and builds awareness, would additionally look at the context of the messages and seek his complete story if you haven't already (beme, side note: I'm trying to pull him in for a podcast with us). Roman Atwood is also great!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11249384].message }}
            Originally Posted by Marcus W K Wong View Post

Roman Atwood is also great!
            For me personally as it pertains to the OP's request... Roman is really the one to watch. Ive been watching him for a while now.. Something I have seen over time is that a good amount of the wildly huge or up and coming You Tubers pay a visit to him. What gets interesting here is the timing of the visit... People like Fousey.. the Paul's ( Logan and Jake ) and Matt Carriker ( Off the Ranch - Demolition Ranch and Vet Ranch ) and Tanner Fox to name a few. They have developed a following.. they visit roman and blam all of the sudden they have merch.

If you watch roman enough you understand that he has turned his channel into a full legit business. The videos make money.. the Merch without question makes money ( He sold close to 100,000 fidget spinners - 3 lots of 20k in a matter of days at $20 a crack ) He has product in Toys R us.. he has a line of fireworks... without question has relationships with the stuff he uses in the videos - RC cars etc ) The guy is a money magnet.
            Signature
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11249446].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author LifeDrawnBadly
          I really appreciate the detailed message. Now you've got my wheels turning. I actually have an acting background and some great video gear. Coincidence!

And... plot twist: I just got hired at Disney working 3 days a week for one of their hotels--this means I can enter the parks free! I want to take my time to make sure I get everything set up right, but your post is very helpful.

I'll check out Roman Atwood now.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11249592].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Marcus W K Wong
    Airbnb - if you have the real estate to rent out a room. I suspect hotels in and around Walt Disney World would come at a significant cost.

The other recommendation I have is look at some of the "experience" sellers that exist. For instance Airbnb does experiences, BonAppetour does food experiences, you could position yourself as a local guide or master concierge but --- competition for all of these I'd imagine are already pretty stiff.

Going by your latest example of searchable on facebook, why not try this:

- Build a Facebook Page, call it "What to do near Walt Disney World <location>"
    - utilise a chat bot with responses based on keywords (ex. "food" will automatically send back the facebook user a message with restaurants, cafes, etc.. "hotel" will come back with messages about which local hotels to consider)
    - Grow traffic and build build build your audience and likes (do this by as you mentioned, people tagging is searchable, send them a message from your page or do some facebook ads targeting location specifically, family and relevant demographics).

Once you have significant engagement, reach out to these local businesses and pitch an advertising fee (here's your monetization). For every time that someone hits your chat bot asking for food, your recommendation is sent back to them with a "sponsored recommendation". Monetize on a monthly recurring fee to the cafes and local businesses.

Then it becomes a process of just maintenance for the bot.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11249199].message }}
    Found this in my data base of data.. https://www.traffictravis.com/blog/d...yword-analysis Asided from the sales pitch for the product there is some interesting data within the article.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11249453].message }}
    I would be monetizing on Disney property. I wonder if there are any conflicts there?
    I can't believe you would ask the question. If you own a big fancy store where people come to shop - would you care if someone came into your store to sell THEIR products to your customers?

Could be a very short term job if you do that.

If you read the employee manual or the other paperwork provided when you are hired.... I'd bet 'soliciting guests' is right up there at the top of the 'no no's'.
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11251174].message }}
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

I can't believe you would ask the question. If you own a big fancy store where people come to shop - would you care if someone came into your store to sell THEIR products to your customers?

If you read the employee manual or the other paperwork provided when you are hired.... I'd bet 'soliciting guests' is right up there at the top of the 'no no's'.
      But keep in mind the "product" you are pitching is the very "product" you work for. IE We are discussing starting a blog about Disney, that in turn helps Disney.. and he also happens to work there.

I can only imagine that Disney is crazy with the do's and don'ts or being an employee.. I would imagine the only way to get a correct answer here would be to ask.

Point out that the blog would be done off hours and at no time would you mention actually being an employee there. ( in the videos that is )
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11251235].message }}
      I actually received an answer from a Youtube Partner (A user that makes money via youtube)

Yeah you can monitize, if it's for editorial/commentary use. If you're using the footage for commercial use, for example if you own a travel agency and you're using the footage to sell vacation packages, then you'll run into problems.

edit: Be careful with background music, if their music can be heard on your video, that will cause you problems.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11251303].message }}
        Originally Posted by LifeDrawnBadly View Post

I actually received an answer from a Youtube Partner (A user that makes money via youtube)

Yeah you can monitize, if it's for editorial/commentary use. If you're using the footage for commercial use, for example if you own a travel agency and you're using the footage to sell vacation packages, then you'll run into problems.

edit: Be careful with background music, if their music can be heard on your video, that will cause you problems.
        I am very much going to agree with Kay here... I said it in the post above myself, would be best to ask directly.

The issue I have with what the "YouTube partner" stated.... "editorial/commentary" and "can be monetized" its a bit of a paradox. The bottom line is your video is going to be monetized via the ad views.. that in itself makes it for commercial use... revenue is revenue, and the whole idea here is for you to produce an income.

I will absolutely agree with background music...
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11251350].message }}
          I will definitely be careful with it. Doing my own research I did find a competitor He was kind enough to share some info with me as well
          https://www.youtube.com/user/jnnelson79/videos
          My Disney Parks related channel has over 20K Subscribers, monetized, and I've never had an issue with video that I shot myself. The only issue is background music does get claimed sometimes. The best thing to do is to upload the videos on private mode so that you can go back and edit to take out the copyrighted songs or just break up those sections a bit.
          Notice the name for his brand "ResortTV1" you can tell right away the market he's capturing. However, I believe it's not very personable. Just think of stars like Pewdiepie, Casey Neistat, etc... they just use their names and they're still memorable.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11251675].message }}
    I would advise an answer from your new employer - and no one else. Just be sure it's OK so you don't shoot yourself in the foot.

Free entry to Disney World - would be a hoot! Good luck with the job and the blog.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11251304].message }}
    Here is the one I found: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo8...oOZHPQd1UNMx-g I may have missed it, but these appear to be video only and there is no speaking... notice the 200K+ subs
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11251853].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnMcCabe
    Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

If he's talking about shooting video while employed by the park, while he's on the clock, his tenure will be very, very short. Aside from the 'soliciting customers' angle, there's also the issue of getting releases from people in the videos, which could be tough while wearing a Disney uniform.

The OP may be better off investing in a season pass for locals, and just visit the park to shoot his videos. There's still the issue of getting releases, especially for kids. It's one thing to video people for something that is for private use, much like the old slide shows we had to endure in an earlier generation. It's another to post those videos on a public site in order to generate advertising dollars.

Those releases are the reason you see video of people with their faces pixelated.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11252269].message }}
      Originally Posted by JohnMcCabe View Post

there's also the issue of getting releases from people in the videos,
      There is a line in the law that states as long as you are not taking video or images where they can EXPECT PRIVACY its legal... at a park the restroom would be a place I would consider privacy being an issue
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11252364].message }}

Trending Topics