Beginner's Information Overload

22 replies
Hey All,

I am just starting affiliate marketing, and I feel a bit overwhelmed with the amount of sites, videos, and course out there explaining different ways to go about affiliate marketing.

I already have my first site up and running, but I wanted to ask veterans or even newbies of the forums, some advice, or experiences they may have in order to prevent information overload and be able to focus on the core aspect of making money.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!
#beginner #information #overload
  • Profile picture of the author Ged3
    Hi Digitalbws,
    congratulations on setting your first site up - it proves that you are an action taker.

You have not said what topic your site covers. That will help to determine what area of internet marketing you will be able to focus on.

For example, if you have a website that has woodworking as the theme, you could write articles about different aspects of woodworking and tools used.

You could then join Amazon as an affiliate and compare different tools with affiliate links to them.

Every time someone purchases something through a link you would make commission.

You can also join Google AdSense and place code that you will receive once you join the programme and make money when people click on an advert.

The two programmes above are both good programmes that have been around for years with good reputations for payment.

Another option is to join Clickbank, they sell mainly ebooks and courses on virtually any subject you can imagine and you receive generous commissions on sales - Clickbank is another well established company that has a good reputation.

Two good companies for promoting internet marketing products are JVzoo and Warriorplus.

With any affiliate marketing you need to build credibility with your audience and a golden rule is to only promote items that you have confidence in and that you would be happy to purchase yourself.

The top marketers advice people to purchase an item they wish to promote and use it themselves and only then if they are happy with it, promote it.

You will be able to give an honest review then, and if you are enthusiastic this will come through in your recommendation.

Another thing you will need to be successful is plenty of good visitors.

This can take time so its best to think of affiliate marketing as a fairly long term business.

As you have a website you will also need an autoresponder so that you can build a list of subscribers that you can keep in touch with to build up a good relationship with and send emails of any new products that you are promoting.

So just focus on these few things to start with to build a good foundation for your business.

I hope you do well with your business.

Best Regards
    Ged
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11290892].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Wingsofsuccess1
    You have to make the commitment within yourself to stick to the goal that you currently have. There truly are about a million ways to make money online but if in the beginning if someone could have given me any advice it would have been to pick just one thing that I know can make money and focus on only that for 6 months to a year and become good and PROFITABLE at it before even considering anything else.

The shiny objects will be all over the place and the brilliant sales pages will lure you in but if you know what the potential of your current project is and have the will to stick with it, you will go far.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11290926].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author savidge4
    All of your efforts need to be focused down to 3 words. Identify - Qualify - Sell. Simple simple stuff.

First you need to identify who it is that will actually buy what it is you are selling... you then need to identify where you can get your message in front of these people.

Second.. you have to qualify these people.. there are going to be people that simply are not interested in what you have to offer, and then there are those that will be. Once you have the interested peoples attention you then have to further qualify that they have the actual funds to pay for whatever it is you are selling.

Last... Once you know the person is interested.. has cash.. THEN you sell them the product.

If you just do whatever it takes to build a list... you just arent going to sell anything. A smaller list that has been identified and qualified will out perform ( in terms of sales ) a willy nilly free for all list any day of the week.

Right now it is your job to find your "Tribe" to get in front of people that have need for what it is you are selling. Be present, answer questions, have patience, be consistant. Again... just FIND them... If you are all over selling selling selling.. you wont sell a thing. By just being there.. the rest will fall into place.
    Signature
    Success is an ACT not an idea
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291054].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author superowid
    Keep going! What's your website name? Continue with that name. Choose the product or service related to the name. Start promoting and just focus on the keywords related to your site name right now. You already set it up... so keep going! Don't move to other direction. The name you've chosen is your direction now. Do anything related to and support it.
    Signature

Hard time to keep promoting business? Don't worry!
    JUST USE MY GRAPHIC & VIDEO SERVICES
    . . . . . Let me help cutting your ad production cost! . . . . .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291104].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DIABL0
    I've been promoting affiliate / CPA offers for over 17 years.

One thing to consider is that there is a big world outside of promoting MMO and even products / services.

I heavily promote PPL (pay per lead...lead generation) offers. This is because there is no credit card / purchase required to complete an offer. All a user has to do is fill out a form, so conversion rates are typically much higher compared to offers that require a sale to be made.

I favor offers that have a make, get or save money benefit to them, as they have overall worked the best. They also tend to have the greatest mass appeal (will be of interest to a large general audience), so the potential exists to produce high volume and they are fairly easy to cross promote on the back-end.

Some of the verticals (niches) I have done extremely well with are: education, insurance, loans, debt, credit, mortgage, assistance, discount offers, homeowner offers, etc...

The bulk of the PPL offers that I promote pay $20-$40 per lead, but I also promote offers that pay more and less. You don't want to get too caught up on what an offer pays because how well it converts is just as important. For example, if you have an offer that pays $9, but if it converts at 2X or more of a $20 offer, then it will perform about the same or possibly better. At the same time, if you have an offer that pays $90 and it converts poorly, it may not even be worth promoting.

I have also done just as good with dating website sign-ups and pretty good with free trial + S/H offers. I also promote a very limited number of offers that are straight up purchase offers. However, mass appeal needs to exist and I also look for one of the following...

1) The product is new and/or novel-unique and you can't purchase it locally or even something similar. I don't waste my time with it once something similar shows up in Walmart.

2) The buyer can truly get what is being offered at a decent discount.

3) Solves a house is on fire type problem.

However, most of the above I will promote on the back-end. Which is why the first thing I look for is mass appeal.

Bottom line, it's far easier to get someone fill out a short form than to get them to pull out their credit card and make a purchase. So why struggle with trying to sell this or that, when you can provide free information that users want/need and get paid well doing it.

The above anyone can do, It's the below that 's not mainstream and not really for everyone. However, IMO it's why I have been so successful at it.

I drive traffic and build responsive email lists using fresh / targeted 3rd party email data and generating real-time, co-reg leads.

3rd party data is email leads of users that have shown an interest in a specific PPL niche or offer and have given permission to receive messages from third parties. You get the opt-in record of each user and it's 100% can-spam compliant.

Co-reg is simply where I place an ad for a specific PPL offer on a co-registration network and their publishers display it at the time a user is signing up with them and can request more info about my offer. When a user requests more info their contact info is then automatically imported into my ESP account and they are sent a message regarding the offer. Which I pay on a per lead basis.

So with the above, I am getting fresh / targeted leads specifically for the PPL offers I'm promoting. However, they are not typically as responsive as a high-quality opt-in list that you build yourself. So to compensate for this you need to work with higher volume. This is not a big deal since the cost is much cheaper and highly scalable compared to traditional list building methods.

When mailing, you want to skim off the top any fast-track conversions and then for long-term success, you want to always be collecting your opens / clickers, segmenting and removing unresponsive users...converting the leads from quantity to quality and into responsive lists. Which you can then also cross-promote other offers on the back-end.

So basically I promote PPL offers because they provide the path of least resistance to generating conversions/$$$ and converting the data into cash producing assets.

There's actually more to it than it sounds, but done right it can be extremely profitable. Everyone that I know that is in the business and knows what they are doing, for the most part, does 6-7 figures. While that's a huge range, much comes down to one's ability to scale and effectively build / manage the infrastructure needed to scale.

Something to think about
    Signature
    How to Build LARGE EMAIL LISTS on a Budget and MONETIZE Like a PRO
    20+ Years Exp . . . . . . . . . . . . Email - CPA - PPL
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291209].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    Originally Posted by digitalbws View Post

Hey All,

I am just starting affiliate marketing, and I feel a bit overwhelmed with the amount of sites, videos, and course out there explaining different ways to go about affiliate marketing.

I already have my first site up and running, but I wanted to ask veterans or even newbies of the forums, some advice, or experiences they may have in order to prevent information overload and be able to focus on the core aspect of making money.

The essence of any business is Traffic + Conversion.

Doesn't matter whether you're running a gift shop on the high street or an online affiliate marketing business. You need those two things.

Most things marketed to you profess to be a "business in a box" or a complete solution. Understand this warning: they are not! They are almost always a piece of Traffic or a piece of Conversion, and unless you know exactly how they'll fit into your business they will be a waste of money for you. And you'll end up with a useless collection of shiny objects.

In affiliate marketing, you need a steady flow of pre-qualified traffic coming into your site. Who are these people? Where do you find them? How do you know they are probably interested in what you're talking about on your affiliate site...before they get there?

Then you need conversion tools: your blog articles and the links sending visitors to the offers. (Or it could be YouTube videos and affiliate links from there--are you starting to see how that's Traffic + Conversion, too? YT is the traffic source...)

Unless something deliberately contributes to Traffic or Conversion, and you understand how it fits in and know you need it--ie. can't make it or get it for free from somewhere else--don't buy it.

You need a plan, or else how will you know you've got it right? The plan I recommend...and I have been online since 2011...is Tom Addams' Month One WSO. Everything you need about traffic and conversion is in there, and I bought and am implementing it myself. This is after literally years of me following Tom around, asking him to coach me for real $$! IMO that's the smartest move you could make.

The other things for you to do is WRITE IT DOWN. Write down your plan. Get the steps down on paper of how people are going to get to your content...what they're going to experience and do when they get there...what they're going to do next and how you're going to induce them to do that.

Nearly all of the business problems I see on this forum are caused by people flying by the seat of their pants. No vision of the future. No clarity on what they're doing. Get that clarity. Know what that picture you're building to is. If you don't have clarity on an element of the plan, research about that. Implement a few things and get some results. Then come back here, share what you've learned, and the experienced members will say to themselves, "Ah, here is someone who has actually tried something. That's the kind of person I want to help because I know what I share won't just be nodded at and then forgotten."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291214].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    All of the courses may preach different semantics, but i'm sure the one thing they all preach and have in common is building a list, and doing optin email marketing. So when you go live and start marketing your site, make sure building a list and capturing your leads is your prime objective - and also make sure that your affiliate product allows you to receive either a very high commission, or recurring income month after month.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291312].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author digitalbws
    Wow, I am truly overwhelmed by the response and support from this post.

Thank you so much. Right now, I set up a site strictly to sell a product I found on markethealth to a niche.

I am following a program, but it doesn't exactly seem like a bread winner or passion niche, just learning the ropes with this
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291538].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bella Lopez
    The information overload is a vicious problem. It can divert you from your current goal and tempt you to go overboard with more than you can actually take. Well, It can also make you very greedy.

The thing here is to stick with one-three courses from your niche and have a definitive goal in mind. Like, if you're going with affiliate, work hard on that.

Personally, I run a dropshipping store and majority of my time is spent on marketing the store or learning how to add something new for growing my sales. That's what keeps me focused and growing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291578].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author writeaway
    Pick ONE Plan

DO IT

Make it work

Optimize

Scale up

Everything else = FAILURE
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291600].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author smartprofitmoney

Hey All,

Hello,
    Yes this business can be major overload, so moving on, think like this, the main website should be number one, this is what will be the heart of your business, so make sure you have all the tools we use for affiliate marketing.

Once website niche is built out, add major content, 20 pages, add 20 videos, add major SEO, add big five social platforms, and then do other stuff later.
    Yup that is it.
    Thanks Rob.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291615].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BrunoBruno
    Well I guess you will have to do it one at a time. "People today are in danger of drowning in information; but, because they have been taught that information is useful, they are more willing to drown than they need be.

If they could handle information, they would not have to drown at all."
    ― Idries Shah, Reflections

Leaning takes time, it is a process, so learn at your own pace. One at a time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291814].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Chris Brindamour
    digitalbws,

Congrats!

My advise, find a niche that you know and a couple of traffic methods and focus on them until you get the results you want.

Chris
    Signature

Subscribe to our Free Home Business Tips Newsletter and get insider tips on how to create wealth in an online business.

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11292156].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Micah Rutter
    Here's my advice:-

Don't hop from one thing to another.

Stick to one thing and get good at it before you change what you're doing.

I failed when I was was a newbie because I tried to do dropshipping, Kindle, affiliate marketing, and solo ads all at the same time.

F.O.C.U.S. =
    Follow One Course Until Successful

Hope this helped :-)

Message me if you need help with anything else
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11292274].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jamel Hassell
    unsubscribe from emails and courses that aren't relevant . Information overload is a headache but you can nip it in the butt.

My suggestion you is to focus on building up relationships and authority . Make sure that the information that you take in aligns with your goals .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11293291].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author discrat
    For me at least I found one system and just concentrated on perfecting that as much as possible. And simply put my blinders on to any outside info. that would only distract me
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11293317].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Judey
    Since your're a newbie.

Here's my one piece of advice you should stick to and I promise you'll succeed.

As long as you stick to this rule.

Now here's a quote by my mentor Ronny Robbins that have totally helped me achieve success it says :

If You Want To Achieve Success , All You Need To Do Is Find A Way To Model Those Who Have Already Succeeded .

For you to succeed in online business or any other area in your field.

1) Find a mentor that uses a proven system to succeed .

2) Model what he/she does.

My point is : Don't ever re-event the wheel, just do what works .

Get a proven Step-by-Step system that works and stick to it until you too start getting results.

It's safer , quicker and better than being over confident trying to test and figure things out own your own.

So follow a proven system that works and stick to it.

That how you achieve success.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11293463].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisBa

Hey All,

You need to focus on one area. Figure out a traffic source to focus on and learn it well before moving on. Make sure you stick with it and don't jump around. Stay focused and remember you need to crawl before you walk.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11293657].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    Hi DB,

Mindset work was a biggie for me.

I meditate, do yoga and also exercise daily to keep the energy flowing.

Information overload happens when you fear you have not acquired enough information. Instead of calmly, clearly and confidently nibbling on a bit at a time, you fearfully sprint forward and keep trying to get more, more and more, because you feel like you, and your due diligence, are not enough.

Pick 1 course on affiliate marketing that a trusted mentor has created. Buy it. Use it as a blueprint for the next 2-3 months, at least. Feel free to nibble on a Warrior Forum or blog post here and there, but stick to your course.

Seriously though; double down on mindset. All problems with IO start between the ears, so get to the root of the issue and you will calm down, slow down and cease trying to overcompensate.

Ryan
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph helps you to be a successful blogger with his courses, manuals and blog at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11293713].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author seotprosperity
    Best thing is find something and stick with it. (either it works or it doesn't)

Shiny Object Syndrome. If you're subscribed to a lot of internet marketer's lists it wouldn't help either as they will be selling you more products convincingly.

While I don't think internet marketing course are very useful for newbies; tools may be useful.
    Signature
    White Hat SEO - from Content Marketing backlinks that gets you high quality traffic!
    Make Money Online with done for you Affiliate Niche Sites!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11293844].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnVianny
    Focus on what works and is the really backbone of every internet marketer: email marketing.

Learn how to set up an opt in page, how to set up a follow up sequence of mails to your list, and how to deliver traffic.

And choose niche, products to promote.

That's what you have to focus firstly.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11294887].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jonatan snellman
    Here's a few suggestions for you to stop being overwhelmed.

- Stop following everything and everyone, choose 2-3 people that you want to model off from and shut out all the other noise.

- Studying and learning is great but what you really should focus on is to become productive, go from learning to implementing. Use the 80-20 rule, 80% work 20% study.

- Study and then go implement what you learned, if you study study study and learn a million different things you won't know where to even start.

- The best way to learn is to do, fail and learn from mistakes.

Hope this helped you in some way, good luck!

- Jonatan
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11295258].message }}

Trending Topics