How Getting 22,800 Podcast Plays in 36 Hours Really Took 20 Years

7 replies
My friend Alonzo Pichardo and chat about how to succeed online via his podcast.

We released episode #3 some 36 hours ago.

So far, it's netted 22,800 plays which is pretty neat.

The first 2 podcasts netted over 113,000 plays in a few months.

An illusion is at play; 22,800 plays appeared after 36 hours which seems phenomenal, and it is.

But it took Alonzo and I 10 years - or 20 years, collectively - to build up our skill set, to create generous value, and to grow the size and loyalty of our friend networks to launch a podcast that has almost 136,000 plays over 3 episodes, spanning a few months.

Manipulative marketers focus heavily on sharing hacks to goad other marketers to aim for big numbers, quickly.

Genuine marketers working from the heart share explicitly how it takes years of time to build your skills, content store and friend network, along with some brilliant co-creating, to see huge numbers quite quickly, whether podcast listens, YouTube plays, blog traffic or online profits.

How the journey works for most of us:

- you want big numbers as a newbie
- then you realize that big numbers grow after doing seemingly small things daily for 2, 5 or 10 years
- success slowly finds you, then numbers grow exponentially
- as worldly success grows you care less about numbers and more about having fun and helping people
- your increased detachment makes numbers grow even more quickly; feels nice, but more like a bonus, or icing on the cake.

Thoughts guys?
#800 #hours #plays #podcast #years
  • Profile picture of the author Ged3
    That's interesting concerning your skillset taking 20 years.

I once read that it takes successful musicians such as Mozart and more recent pop stars 10,000 hours of work before they start producing great work or strings of number one hits.

We sometimes only see these people when they are famous and do not always realise the years of hard graft they have put into honing their skills.

Ged
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11326711].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
      Actually 10 for me and 10 for Alonzo

As for the 10 K, yep, Malcolm Gladwell notes this in his work.
      Signature
      Ryan Biddulph helps you to be a successful blogger with his courses, manuals and blog at Blogging From Paradise
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11327117].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
    Banned
    Nice Post: Thanks Ryan B.

At the same time, everyone starts somewhere. In fact that's (maybe) the most "important" part to being successful. That said, I like the "long-term" mindset. If more People did that they would be successful.

2C
    Signature
    "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11326718].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
      Thanks Jonathan.

Exactly bro; I was a laid off security guard 10 years ago. I had no idea what a blog even was. We all start out as green newbies in niches unknown to us.
      Signature
      Ryan Biddulph helps you to be a successful blogger with his courses, manuals and blog at Blogging From Paradise
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11327118].message }}
  • And when you like what you're doing, you don't really feel the years fly by. I have people who constantly ask me how I got to this point in my career so quickly. When I tell them I've been working online for more than 10 years, they're surprised. They ask again how come they haven't heard about me 10 years ago. I explain its because I worked my way from the ground up. I'm surprised myself because I really didn't feel the decade go by. I was so excited about learning and seeing the results of my work it didn't feel like work (for the most part, hehehe)

Success, however you define it. Takes work. There's really no shortcut to it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11327971].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnVianny
    No, no.

It depends on INVESTMENT: if you have money to invest and you work hard, you can succeed in 1 year or less, building a list.

Of course we are talking about MONEY: not followers, or people who are 'fans' etc.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11328293].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jonathan 2.0
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Connann View Post

It depends on INVESTMENT: if you have money to invest and you work hard, you can succeed in 1 year or less, building a list.
      Great point. Thanks Connann. If a Person is determined enough -- they can reach a great income goal like you said. The most important component (for me) is really helping (etc.) People with your Website/Business.
      Signature
      "Each problem has hidden in it an opportunity so powerful that it literally dwarfs the problem. The greatest success stories were created by people who recognized a problem and turned it into an opportunity."―Joseph Sugarman
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11328316].message }}

Trending Topics