Use Negative-ish Subject Lines because we LOVE a train wrecks?

3 replies
Here's a quick brain fart.

My list is growing at a more predictable pace. I'm adding more BUYERS these days and I'm taking OPEN rates a lot more seriously than I used to.

Was just doing an audit of open rates relative to subject lines and subject lines alone. Wasn't looking at day of week, time, etc.

I have had one email - and one e-mail only hit that 40% open rate for a list size in the respectable 5 digits. In comparing that e-mail and it's open rates to others, it seems that the "muted" negative tone of the subject line is what did the trick. My "normal" average is right around 27% with 36% being the high before I reached that 40.8% open rate that fateful day.

I used a negative sounding subject line but at the same time deflected the negativity from me. Random example; I didn't say "I had a very bad day." it was more like "SHE had a really bad day."

From there I used intrigue in that precious (but often undervalued) preview sentence... Ex; "She had a very bad day..." Preview; "... and it wasn't even her fault..."

Just random examples I'm pulling from my rear end to avoid any self promo issues.

Curious to know you guys' experiences with "negative" subject lines? Have those subject lines performed better in the end (more sales)? Or, were they just overinflated opens of tire kickers with no intention of buying? Rather, hoping to see a "train wreck."
#lines #love #negativeish #subject #train #wrecks
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisBa
    Just curious aside from the decent open rate, how well did the email work? Did you get any conversions or sales?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11326893].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author FiveStarFiverr
    Banned
    I see the merit, as long as the subject line isn't misleading. Misery loves company and it's easy to get people to click if they think they are going to feel better about themselves due to someone else's misery.

This is exactly why gossip mills have always been so popular, whether in print form or online.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11326949].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author fenikkusu
    The difference might be more due to the "story" framing (what happened to her) than to the negative subject line. Our brains have evolved to love stories. Have you considered this?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11329763].message }}

Trending Topics