One Year To Set This Up - Any Ideas?

34 replies
Hey Warriors,

I've been working on my online fitness business for 18 month now, particularly focusing on capturing leads via FB ads leading to email marketing to promote affiliate products...

To put it bluntly I haven't yet made it work and I think in recent weeks I've figured out why - the markets/niches I've been targeting are far too broad and frankly I'm starting to belief fitness is one of those 'already been done' niches that's it's near on impossible to break into...

So here's the deal - I'm going travelling with my wife in one year, we're going to sell everything and fly to the other side of the world...

We both own houses that we're renting out so we'll have about £1,000PM of income between us but I'd feel much more comfortable getting that up to nearer 3/4k per month...

Given what I've just mentioned about the competitiveness of fitness I'm thinking very seriously about changing angles and going into the self-development niche and offering Skype and telephone coaching, which is something I could continue to do while travelling (I'm already a life coach & hypnotherapist)...

So what I'm asking you guys is what your thoughts on this are... I'm pretty confident with the relationship cycle of running ads through a funnel to eventually building the relationship via the list, but as I said I haven't yet cracked the converting the leads into customers bit, which again as I said I think I know the reason why... saturation, lack of urgency in the market due to abundance of info etc.

So do you think a year is a reasonable timeframe to build a sustainable 2-5k per month business via email marketing in a totally new niche?

Or if not it would be great to hear your thoughts about a different business I could work towards such as CPA?

Thanks in advance!
Ed
#ideas #set #year
  • Profile picture of the author Ged3
    Hi Rfitness,

if you have experience in fitness coaching then anything is possible.

Facebook can be a good place to build a list of interested people.

Another great way to get people interested is via Youtube.

If you can create some fitness videos - maybe a small series you will build confidence in viewers
    they will look forward to watching the next video.

You can also have a link to your website in the description area beneath the video.

I have seen fitness videos with thousands of views and subscribers.

It is all free as well - plus Youtube videos rank extremely well on Google.

I think you should give Youtube a try - I am sure it will help with your success!

Best Regards

Ged
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11393171].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rfitness
      Hi Ged

Thanks for your reply.

I tried YouTube in the past youtube dot com/EdMoseleyy and had very little success with it...

I think there's so many people out there trying to make a name it's tough to get noticed.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11393587].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Ged3
        Originally Posted by Rfitness View Post

Hi Ged

Thanks for your reply.

I tried YouTube in the past youtube dot com/EdMoseleyy and had very little success with it...

I think there's so many people out there trying to make a name it's tough to get noticed.

Hi Rfitness,

sorry to hear that - I am sure some of the other suggestions here will help you such as targeting a more specific niche.

I hope you do well

Ged
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11393735].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author crackhouse
    I would think a year is a reasonable timeframe but I would encourage to invest heavily in social media. Build a following on Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook, market through these.

Fitness is very competitive, but there are always new voices making a killing in it. Think of a unique angle and engage with your audience.

That's the best advice I can give.
    Signature
    I sell backlinks on some of the most lucrative editorial websites in the world.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11393196].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve B

I haven't yet cracked the converting the leads into customers bit, which again as I said I think I know the reason why... saturation, lack of urgency in the market due to abundance of info etc.

Ed, before you act on any of the suggestions in this thread so far, I would encourage you to focus on your audience and how you are going to help them (your mission). You are not ready for traffic just yet, IMO. What good does it do you to get leads if you can't convert them?

You need to solidify your niche and how you are going to position your business to serve those people, especially in the competitive niches you've mentioned. IMO, deciding on serving just one specific audience would serve you well. Focus on the distinct needs/problems/desires of that one specialized group. You can always branch out and serve similar or related niches once you have a business going.

The way you discover your niche is through online market research. Use the "search" function of this forum to read lots of past discussions on how to do the research online. Even if you spend 3-8 hours doing your homework, it will be time well spent because if you don't understand the problems and desires of your audience, everything else you do will not matter. Market research will help you to find the competition, see what they are offering, and give you some insight on possible business models and "angles" that you can exploit as a newcomer into the marketplace.

I wish you the very best in your new business pursuit,

Steve
    Signature

Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
    SteveBrowneDirect

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11393210].message }}
      Hi Steve

Thanks so much for your reply.

I completely agree, my niche clarity absolutely sucks! I've jumped around trying to get a piece of the huge niches without really having a clear and concise message...

Everything you've said I would agree with 100%, I've recently tried to target "skinny guys for muscle building" but realised that again is too big a niche... Perhaps I should focus on one key issue people face and build a coaching funnel around that with a clear solution to the problem?

I think you're right on the research... this is always where I end up getting overwhelmed and start feeling crappy and lose focus, but definitely need to do it!

Angles is something I've heard a lot about but have a very brief understanding about... could you please give me an example of an angle for coaching people through say anger?

Many thanks

Ed
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11393593].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author boblev

Hi Steve

I've recently tried to target "skinny guys for muscle building" but realised that again is too big a niche... Perhaps I should focus on one key issue people face and build a coaching funnel around that with a clear solution to the problem?

Ed
        the first thing that jumped out at me is a question....why does the guy want to bulk up? Being skinny is one thing but i always look for specific problems that can be solved.

Is he having trouble finding a girlfriend/boyfriend and he blames his appearance?

Is he getting bullied and pushed around because of his size?

Does he have an eating disorder or health problem?

Does he need to bulk up because he's in a sport like boxing or wrestling and wants to move into another weight class?

From this shortlist I would ask myself, who would give their situation the most mindshare. Meaning who might obsess over their condition and think about it very often every day?

Things get easier when you can answer these kinds of questions.

I would probably hop over to amazon and search for the topic in books and kindle, sort by best seller and read the read all of the reviews especially the negative ones. you can get alot of insight that way.

You can do this exercise with any keyword or niche, ask why the person might want a result and you can often identify the specific problems associated with that condition.

once you know the problems your target audience is dealing with it makes it so much easier to find out where they hang out, so you can get in front of them and offer solutions to their problems.

Of course these are just my opinions and I could be wrong!

Bob
        Signature

"The road to success and the road to failure are almost exactly the same." Colin R. Davis

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11395690].message }}
          Wow thanks Bob absolutely brilliant insight, I'll get to work doing exactly that right now!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11395902].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IGotMine
    (I'm already a life coach & hypnotherapist)...
    With paying clients?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11393226].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnVianny
    There's no saturation.

There will always be people loooking to generate income from home cause they got fired, looking to lose weight cause they turned fat, etc.

You maybe have to NARROW the niche: focus on home-based fitness, office fitness. They're uptrending in white and blue collar in UK cause they're always in office. They don't have time to go to gym or don't want to.

Work on copy and MATCH your ads with your opt in page, and MATCH the GIVEAWAY to WHAY YOU WILL SELL AFTER.

I mean: congruency.

Also explore other types of traffic: like solo ads. If you're in weight loss market, you can go to Clickonomy, there are weight loss and fitness solo ad sellers there.

If your leads do not convert, work on scarcity: if the companies do not give scarcity in their products, or give 'fake scarcity', try to add some bonuses and put a deadline to buy for having these bonuses.

it all belongs to good email marketing practice.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11393228].message }}
      Hi John

Thanks so much for your reply.

As always with your responses to my posts you make a very valid point. Perhaps I am looking for excuses to bail on a project and move onto the next without fully exploring all avenues...

Narrowing the niche definitely hits home and so does matching each element of the funnel.

Thanks again for your help
      Ed
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11393595].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan

Hey Warriors,

I've been working on my online fitness business for 18 month now, particularly focusing on capturing leads via FB ads leading to email marketing to promote affiliate products...

To put it bluntly I haven't yet made it work and I think in recent weeks I've figured out why - the markets/niches I've been targeting are far too broad and frankly I'm starting to belief fitness is one of those 'already been done' niches that's it's near on impossible to break into...

So here's the deal - I'm going travelling with my wife in one year, we're going to sell everything and fly to the other side of the world...

We both own houses that we're renting out so we'll have about £1,000PM of income between us but I'd feel much more comfortable getting that up to nearer 3/4k per month...

Given what I've just mentioned about the competitiveness of fitness I'm thinking very seriously about changing angles and going into the self-development niche and offering Skype and telephone coaching, which is something I could continue to do while travelling (I'm already a life coach & hypnotherapist)...

So what I'm asking you guys is what your thoughts on this are... I'm pretty confident with the relationship cycle of running ads through a funnel to eventually building the relationship via the list, but as I said I haven't yet cracked the converting the leads into customers bit, which again as I said I think I know the reason why... saturation, lack of urgency in the market due to abundance of info etc.

So do you think a year is a reasonable timeframe to build a sustainable 2-5k per month business via email marketing in a totally new niche?

Or if not it would be great to hear your thoughts about a different business I could work towards such as CPA?

Thanks in advance!
    Ed
    You need the right coaching, which means the right systems and direction.

Go look up Justin Devonshire on FB. Grow Your Expert Business is his group and there's free training in there. He's fitpro-focused so knows how to grow your kind of business.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11393608].message }}
      Checked out Justin and his book is amazing! ThanksJason!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11395903].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Akula78

Hey Warriors,

Thanks in advance!
    Ed
    I think the deathline you set to reach your goals is kind of reasonable, though you will have to do things right to make it happen, so good luck!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11394512].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Cybernetmarket
    There is no such thing as a saturated niche. You will never find any niche that is "easy" to break into. Like I have read in the comments, do youtube videos, and specialize in one thing.
    Signature

New To Internet Marketing? Need some Help? check out my free course "Easy Online Marketing" Everything is totally FREE except for website hosting :-) http://reyalbert.com It all starts by taking action

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11394683].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Randall Magwood
    Sure if you have the advertising budget and proper email marketing funnel, you could be making $3k-$4k a month. But what was the reason your first online venture didn't work? Do you know what it was for sure that caused the unsuccess? I would tackle that issue first, plus you don't need to take a whole year off to start again in a new niche. Take a week off and go walking for some fresh air. Then come back after a week off the internet with a new perspective and tactic.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11394765].message }}
      Hey thanks so much for your reply buddy.

I think you misunderstood my OP - I'm not taking a year off I'm going travelling in a years time as a lifestyle choice, totally unrelated to my business situation...

Anyways I think you make a very valid point about figuring out what made my last businesses not work... in all honesty I'd have to say I don't know... giving up too quickly after getting despondent with lack of sales and feeling like I'm just another small voice in a huge industry...

My opens on my emails start around 28% then taper down into the teens over the following weeks, and my click throughs sit between 3-5%... so looking at the figures there's probably mileage in the niches I've gone for, I've just not felt I'm getting anywhere so decided to abort mission and put my efforts into a different area.

How do I figure out what it was that 'failed'?

Thanks

Ed
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11394852].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Enfusia
    What I'm about to say is not just spouting off with no experience.

You can Google: patrick shelley nutriharmony

My name and the name of my company I ran for over 20 years and sold over 7 years ago. There are still a few references in Google.

It was a mid sized company doing a several million per annum.

I only say this so you'll understand I'm not just some turd talking about something they've never done.

The fitness niche is NOT too competitive. It's filled with people that don't know how to market.

That being said; figure out what niche you love and can make money in and stick with it.

A year is plenty of time to be at $5,000 per month and more than likely $10,000 a month or more.

You will need the right strategy (plan), but once you do, it's pretty methodical and predictable.

You don't need to change niches unless you want to.

If you're going into the self development niche stay on the finance side.

I.E. how to develop yourself so that you make more money.

That's where the money is in that niche.
    Signature
    Free eBook =>
    The Secret To Success In Any Business
    Yes, Any Business!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11395520].message }}
      Wow thanks Patrick, pretty damn cool to hear from somebody who has successfully built a serious business especially in the fitness space!

I really appreciate your reassurance that it isn't too saturated and that I can make it work.

With regard to the right 'plan' or strategy as you say, my plan is to continue building my list via FB ads and building trust and a relationship overtime with email and video content and occassional affiliate offers relevant to topics I've been talking about in my content... is this too vague of a plan?

I always question myself when I hear people talk of strategy.

Thanks so much

Ed
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11395905].message }}

Wow thanks Patrick, pretty damn cool to hear from somebody who has successfully built a serious business especially in the fitness space!

I really appreciate your reassurance that it isn't too saturated and that I can make it work.

With regard to the right 'plan' or strategy as you say, my plan is to continue building my list via FB ads and building trust and a relationship overtime with email and video content and occassional affiliate offers relevant to topics I've been talking about in my content... is this too vague of a plan?

I always question myself when I hear people talk of strategy.

Thanks so much

Ed

Hi,

Thank you.

Yeah, sorry, but that's not really a plan, but a vague direction.

A plan is much more concrete. Sure, it will change as both you and your business grow, but, it has to be solid and any changes must be even more so.

PM me if you'd like and we can set up a call that should take under 1/2 an hour.
        Nope, I'm not selling anything. No hidden agenda.

But to write it all out is a lot of work especially when I need your feedback along the way.

Talk to you if you want.
        Signature
        Free eBook =>
        Yes, Any Business!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11396541].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jbsmith
    Not only do you need clarity around your niche, you also must put together some proof, testimonials, case studies, etc... to build a buzz around your niche.

For example, if you target skinny dudes who want more muscle then you need to be hitting Insta and FB hard with content including lots of case studies, interviews, examples, etc... to capture people's attention and avoid their BS detector. You are right these markets are competitive - which also makes showing proof, examples all that more important.

If the proof is not you - then you must go out and either work with product owners who can drip you some content you can use as an affiliate to get you started OR even better, spend the next 30-days working through a test group around a particular product, method or system with the specific intent of finding out exactly what works and what doesn't

Same thing goes for personal development/self-help sub-niche you decide to choose - as you must already know life-coaching only works if you have an impact and can leverage word-of-mouth to help spread word, referrals and credibility -- this is the foundation of any online business these days.

Jeff
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11395530].message }}
      Hi Jeff thanks so much for your message.

Very good advice about credibility to make my message heard and believable. I'll keep that in mind

Thanks

Ed
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11395906].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ryanbiddulph
    I'm starting to belief fitness is one of those 'already been done' niches that's it's near on impossible to break into.

100%, this fear-limiting belief needs to change, and when you change it aka let it go, you will be thinking clearly and confidently enough to chart your course. Like dragging around a 50 ton weight, you go nowhere when trying to succeed with fear-lies-limiting beliefs dancing around in your head.

Competition does not exist in an abundant Universe. But if that truth is too tough to grasp now buddy, focus on this: the fitness boom will keep booming for as long as humans live, because most of the world is just discovering that you really want to exercise and eat right to be fit as a fiddle. The USA is at the forefront but SO many of our 230 million or whatever citizens need to hear this message again and again.....enter your business.

Ryan
    Signature
    Ryan Biddulph helps you to be a successful blogger with his courses, manuals and blog at Blogging From Paradise
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11398723].message }}
      Ah man I'm so chuffed to hear from you!

I've read tonnes of your comments and seen lots of people disagree with your mindset but I totally resonate with you... It's funny how I forget to implement my beliefs that I hold surrounding life in general with IM too... almost like the universal laws don't apply... kinda crazy huh!

You're totally right - we wouldn't worry about lack or limitation in any other area of life so why believe that with business?

Thanks for your input my man, appreciated!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11399419].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author blackamerican
    Consider snapchat, instagram, Youtube, Facebook and also building niche blogs. If you're consistent with it, the income will start flowing in in no time.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11399831].message }}
      Hi blackamerican thanks for your reply - I've been doing FB, IG and YT and loving it! Thanks for the heads up!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11404793].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rhadoo7
    There are new guys breaking through the fitness industry each and every year! Yes, the niche is competitive, but there is enough money for everyone! People will ALWAYS want to look good (lose weight or gain muscle).

What's hot right now and working very well is Instagram...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11404750].message }}
      Thanks buddy very true! I just need to keep this at the forefront of my mind!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11404794].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Curious to know if the OP talked to Patrick - if he has a more detailed plan in place.

As I read all the answers I keep thinking you have a combination of skills/knowledge to create a fitness business with your own 'twist'. What the hardest thing about selling 'exercise or fitness'? Getting people to do it....motivating them past the first week (or the third day).

"life coach"....."hypnotherapist"......if you can't create a real plan that sells fitness with a focus on motivating people to keep going....who could?
    Signature
    Saving one dog will not change the world - but the world changes forever for that one dog
    Dear April: I don't want any trouble from you.
    January was long, February was iffy, March was a freaking dumpster fire.
    So sit down, be quiet, and don't touch anything.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11404758].message }}
      Heya Kay King

Thanks for your comment... Patrick and I are trying to sort out a time to talk so am defintely taking up the opportunity!

That's kind of you to say... I am feeling very confident getting the ball rolling currently combining these skills.

Thanks again for the encouragement!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11404795].message }}
        Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

Curious to know if the OP talked to Patrick - if he has a more detailed plan in place.

Heya Kay King

Thanks for your comment... Patrick and I are trying to sort out a time to talk so am defintely taking up the opportunity!

That's kind of you to say... I am feeling very confident getting the ball rolling currently combining these skills.

Thanks again for the encouragement!

Hi, sorry about the hiatus, I ran into an opportunity and am building a second company in an entirely different niche. Yes, I'll be running two at once, but I've done that before with three all in the same niche though.

Rfitness; I'll PM you and we can schedule something in a few days as my queue is already 14 hour plus days.

Sorry for the delay.

This looks like it could be quite nice though and the niche is growing to a projected 219 billion by 2021.

Patrick
        Signature
        Free eBook =>
        Yes, Any Business!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11404967].message }}
      Hey Kay, I've now spoken to Patrick... now got a much more detailed plan in place! Excited to move forwards!

Cheers

Ed
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11406790].message }}
  • Originally Posted by Rfitness View Post

Hey Warriors,

Thanks in advance!
    Ed
    Yes. you hit the nail on the head.

1) There is far too much competetition....flooded.....almost impossible to stand out.

which wouldn't be as a big of problem if

2) People simply will not pay a lot for your service. it's a bit of commodity.

Hell, even if you took at job at a fitness center you could make £22,000+ p.a.

At the very best you'll scrape a pay check...no matter how well you market.

If you developed a pill that allowed all those fat mums and dads to carry on eating cake and chocolate and still lose weight..you'd be a billionaire...

The fact you can't make it work...is saying it all. Move on.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11425327].message }}

Trending Topics