The Strategy of Recurring Membership Site Combined with Affiliate Marketing

5 replies
g'morning campers!

I have completed several months of development and testing on a totally unique and powerful website related to personal finance. I won't bore you with the details, or hype it here.

But what I did want to ask you all about is your thoughts on strategy. This will be a recurring billing type membership site. I have all of the backend functionality to automatically process those transactions using Paypal.

On the other hand, I see Clickbank, with their zillions of potential affiliate marketers, but with their own payment processing, which wouldn't be fully automatic, creating workload, to maintain the subscriptions (in case of payment failure, expirations, etc.)

How difficult would it be to attract affiliates without working with a 'Clickbank' type of organization?

Any thoughts on the overall strategy and implementation here?

Talltom
#affiliate #combined #marketing #membership #recurring #site #strategy
  • Profile picture of the author JonMills
    Hey Tom

Ive done it both ways.

clickbank works 2 thumbs up!

Simply because you are exposed automatically to people looking to find products and services and as your product or service makes money, so you climb in your category and affiliates recognise that and over time you will see more affiliates trying to promote you. If they do well, they will keep at it.

Other way where you are trying to find them, is a big trust factor hurdle you have to get over as ( your managing the affiliate program and they dont know you from jack ) second any stats you give them they might think are fudged where clickbank stats on sales are a better indication for them to determine if its worth their time. Plus you have to find them.

Alternatively you could use shareasale they are affordable.
    Signature
    http://www.thecopywriterwhisperer.com/ Persuasion at it's best!
    http://www.affiliateorganizer.com/ Organize your entire online business - Super affiliates give it the thumbs up!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1819637].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Talltom1
      Jon,

Thanks for the feedback. What I'm concerned about with Clickbank, is the manual labor each month to process the various payment updates. The tradeoff, is the exposure you get with new affiliates, and the trust factor.

Did you have any elegant methods that you've used to streamline this accounting process each month?

Talltom
      Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1819792].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author VanessaB
        Use a loss leader for the clickbank marketplace.

Use video for the higher percieved value, to make a general overview of your market and how money is to be made in it. Price it at $27.00 with a 75% commission. Include a report that promotes your own in-house affiliate program from within it.

You attract affilates from Clickbank and then sell them to come your own in-house affiliate system.

Also, place the same thing in other affiliate marketplaces... Paydotcom for sure.

I also place mine in Click2Sell. They are totally free to get started with, simple to set up, and I recruited my first 4 affiliates in just 2 days with no promotion for recruiting affiliates at all.

-Dani
        Signature
        The Recon Report
        Reliable Results, Predictable Profits
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1820266].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Talltom1
          Originally Posted by DanielleS View Post

Use a loss leader for the clickbank marketplace.

Use video for the higher percieved value, to make a general overview of your market and how money is to be made in it. Price it at $27.00 with a 75% commission. Include a report that promotes your own in-house affiliate program from within it.

You attract affilates from Clickbank and then sell them to come your own in-house affiliate system.

Also, place the same thing in other affiliate marketplaces... Paydotcom for sure.

I also place mine in Click2Sell. They are totally free to get started with, simple to set up, and I recruited my first 4 affiliates in just 2 days with no promotion for recruiting affiliates at all.

-Dani
          Dani - That's exactly what I was looking for. That's a great strategy!

BTW, what affiliate manager are you using?

Talltom
          Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1820504].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Griffon
    Not sure is you have multiple offerings, but a nice feature of PayDotcom as opposed to clickbank that can really accelerate affiliate attraction is the ability to pay affiliates for all purchases the traffic they send make. So if you have multiple products, the affiliate can get paid mulitple times for referring a single person, even if they come back at separate times. Affiliates like knowing they can get mulitiple payments from each person they refer.....even if they buy a separate product months later.

Best to you,
    Neal
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1820438].message }}

Trending Topics