Someone familiar with OSCommerce? Question about PayPal checkout

5 replies
I am trying to put a "paypal express" option in my store - the goal is that a user can check out with paypal without having to create an account first.

(I also installed that "purchase without an account" module)

But whatever i do, the system always asks the customer for information like name, address etc..

Is there any way that a customer can check our directly via paypal without having to type in all that information? (It doesn't make sense to me since all this information is already tied to a paypal account).
#checkout #familiar #oscommerce #paypal #question
  • Profile picture of the author dvduval
    I can remember in the past under OSC 2 we had to hire a programmer to redo the checkout process to avoid the user registration. I'll bet there is a contribution though if you through the OSC site. One would hope they would have that by now.
    Signature
    It is okay to contact me! I have been developing software since 1999, creating many popular products like phpLD.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2127109].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pcpupil
    @George,
    I also have an osc store,and was wondering the same thing.
    I went to the osc forum and was treated like an idiot,ect..

I also wanted to see about the seo plugin,but the same thing happened.
    If you find anything out would you pm me if you remember?
    Also,do you know of a forum or people that can help with osc?

Ive only been to the one oscommerce

Matt
    Signature
    I will be your Digital Assistance for cheap.PM me.
    I can help relieve your work load.Pm me

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2127390].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ARVolund
      Registration and the customer info collected are two separate things in osC even with the pwa mod.

You can control what info the store asks for in your admin under customer details. There are some things it will not let you delete from the form but I am pretty positive that there is a mod that you can install that will give you a lot more control. One thing to keep in mind though is that these settings are global so if you need to info for some customers you have to collect it for everyone.

The other option is to bypass the checkout portion of the site altogether and go straight to paypal from the product page. The disadvantage here is that the order will not show up in your osC admin. There may or may not be a mod for this. There did not use to be but I have not been to the osC site in quite awhile.

If you want to be able to have the orders in the osC database you do need to collect some info on the customer though you can keep it to a minimum.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2127481].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author GeorgR.
      Originally Posted by pcpupil View Post

@George,
      I also have an osc store,and was wondering the same thing.
      I went to the osc forum and was treated like an idiot,ect..

I also wanted to see about the seo plugin,but the same thing happened.
      If you find anything out would you pm me if you remember?
      Also,do you know of a forum or people that can help with osc?

Ive only been to the one oscommerce

Matt
      pcpupil, tell me about it.

I am exhausted now since i had to "correct" a thumbnailer contribution which threw errors....i didnt even look at the SEO URLs yet and also didnt find a working paypal "quick checkout" solution.

It's some really horrible PHP hacking there, this is why i sometimes hate OpenSource. Have to hand-edit code, things like that... ;/
      Signature
      *** Affiliate Site Quick --> The Fastest & Easiest Way to Make Affiliate Sites!<--
      -> VISIT www.1UP-SEO.com *** <- Internet Marketing, SEO Tips, Reviews & More!! ***
      *** HIGH QUALITY CONTENT CREATION +++ Manual Article Spinning (Thread Here) ***
      Content Creation, Blogging, Articles, Converting Sales Copy, Reviews, Ebooks, Rewrites
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2127737].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author ARVolund
        The thing about the osC contributions is that there are no standards and there is really nobody vetting them to see if they work as they are supposed to. There are some great ones that work well and have very good documentation and as you have seen there are some that fall short.

Before even thinking about adding a particular mod to your store you should check out the support thread for the mod and see what problems others have had. This can save a huge amount of trouble by showing you which ones are going to be more trouble than they are worth.

Richard

Originally Posted by GeorgR. View Post

pcpupil, tell me about it.

I am exhausted now since i had to "correct" a thumbnailer contribution which threw errors....i didnt even look at the SEO URLs yet and also didnt find a working paypal "quick checkout" solution.

It's some really horrible PHP hacking there, this is why i sometimes hate OpenSource. Have to hand-edit code, things like that... ;/
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2127982].message }}

Trending Topics