Quick Question Please

by Suka
20 replies
i am about to register a new domain name for a targeted keyword, but it has already been taken..

I have been pulling my hair out trying to find a suitable alternative, but nothing matches up..

Heres the question.. Can i just add a letter at the end of the keyword? eg. skateboardingg.com

will that mess up the SEO? or is it ok?

Thanks
#question #quick
  • Profile picture of the author DNChamp
    dont do it.....why add a letter to a keyword that no one will search for? If the domain is parked or not in use and your TRULY serious about IM ask how much. Otherwise grab a .net or .org and if those are taken pick a diffrent niche....dont short change yourself on the domain...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2421376].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Suka
      Thanks, Im taking my time with this, i wasted cash a few days ago on a stupid domain so i want to get this right.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2421403].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kursat
    Originally Posted by Suka View Post

i am about to register a new domain name for a targeted keyword, but it has already been taken..

I have been pulling my hair out trying to find a suitable alternative, but nothing matches up..

Heres the question.. Can i just add a letter at the end of the keyword? eg. skateboardingg.com

will that mess up the SEO? or is it ok?

Thanks
    I would say add another word next to it either at the beginning or end. Depending on your content of the site, you can add 'review','best' or such as.

But,lets see what others here say.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2421382].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Xplasma
    Adding the extra g won't hurt at all. Sometimes, it can actually be a good idea to add an "s" to make another word example: skateboard, skateboard"s"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2421391].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bretski
      How about "awesome" or "killer"? Not sure what the cool kids are saying these days because well, I'm old and not very cool
      Signature
      ***Affordable Quality Content Written For You!***
      Experience Content Writer - PM Bretski!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2421410].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author b.super13
    Try putting something like skateboarding-info.com or -guide.com

Or, better yet - put hyphens in between keywords or just find a new keyword
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2421409].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kent F
      Originally Posted by b.super13 View Post

Try putting something like skateboarding-info.com or -guide.com

Or, better yet - put hyphens in between keywords or just find a new keyword
      really? Are you having success with hyphenated sites? Everything I'm reading in 2010 says avoid the hyphen at all costs.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2425406].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Suka
    Haha you gonna have to be cool one day for when your kid grows up :p

Its not the skateboarding niche, i just don't want you guys to steel my golden nugget

B super, are u saying its a good idea to have it like this: how-to-make-pie.com as an alternative to howtomakepie.com? or howtomakeapie-great.com

Decisions decisions..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2421427].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bretski

Haha you gonna have to be cool one day for when your kid grows up :p
      Ok....you got a thanks for that one!
      Signature
      ***Affordable Quality Content Written For You!***
      Experience Content Writer - PM Bretski!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2421446].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JDArchitecture

Its not the skateboarding niche, i just don't want you guys to steel my golden nugget

Too bad, I was about to send you a couple of good & available ideas.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2421609].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sparhawke
    Adding a double letter will basically just kill your domain name and make it look cheap which will make people lose confidence in it unless you are coining a new term like Digg. If you are using existing words then use proper spelling.

It may seem like a small matter but a domain name makes all the difference, it is basically the shop front that everyone sees first so you are far better off investing in an Oxford Street shop than an Old Kent Road (to shamelessly steal a monopoly analogy)

Same with hyphens, the most you should have is maybe one, in the middle. Having it at a weird place will make people forget where you are and go to your competitors. If you look at the top websites in the world they all either have no hyphens or one at the most, it is quite rare to find one with multiples.

If you can try your best to coin a new phrase with part of the name you want, this did wonders for technorati.

Skate-Mate.com would be a good one
    Signature
    “Thinking is easy, Acting is difficult
    And to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world ~ Goethe”
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2421470].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steven Carl Kelly
    Here's one way I do it:

Search Google for your keywords without quotes (that's how 99% of the non IMer's search Google) and see what domain names show up in the top 20 or so. Take your cue from that. I think if you try it you'll see what I'm getting at.

For example, search Google for:

quick weight loss

and take a look at the domain name that comes up #2 (at least at #2 for me).
    Signature
    Read this SURPRISING REPORT Before You Buy ANY WSO! Click Here
    FREE REPORT: Split Test Your Landing Pages the Easy Way
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2421490].message }}
    Actually, hyphens are making huge inroads now and while you may lose out to an unhyphenated domain you really cannot ignore the search volumes it opens up. Domains don't actually get that much type-in traffic to make it worthwhile holding domains for the most part so you might as well develop something.

Imagine this, "credit cards" gets 6M+ searches a month and creditcards.com is already taken and parked, there is absolutely nothing to stop you taking credit-cards.com and simply getting it ranked in the search engines and winning the big bucks. Of course if you own the MasterCard corporation you will always find it desirable to own creditcards.com so that no one else can take it.

You will always get a small amount of bleed to the more "desirable" name but that is true of tomato sauce as well, everytime anyone advertises it on television they panic that someone is going to pick up a bottle of heinz instead. It may piss off the company but they cannot sue a person for having picked up a more famous brand after their advertising dollar has primed them.

But the rewards far outweigh this little issue.
    Signature
    And to put one's thoughts into action is the most difficult thing in the world ~ Goethe”
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2425902].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ZaneAbden
    you can add "e" to the start , the weight of your keyword will still count 98/100 or 99/100 example eyourdomainname.com
    Signature

I am selling my BOTH lifetime license for following products, RANKING INSTITUE by Andrew Hansen and Social Secrets by Matt ..please PM me for price

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2425974].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Wise
    Try adding a word or putting hyphens in it or when you type the required name in godaddy for example it will list a number of close alternatives
    Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2425989].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steven Carl Kelly
    Don't fear the hyphen. There's a lot more to ranking than domain name alone.
    Signature
    Read this SURPRISING REPORT Before You Buy ANY WSO! Click Here
    FREE REPORT: Split Test Your Landing Pages the Easy Way
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2425994].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jill Carpenter
      I'd look for bestpottytraining, pottytrainingtips, pottytrainingbaby, mypottytraining, easypottytraining, etc.

also, pottytraining101

See if one of these works with your niche.
      Signature

"May I have ten thousand marbles, please?"

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2426037].message }}
    I will add this too as an amendment to my other post, anyone would be stupid to ignore 6,000,000 people looking for your product just because you are not willing to pay $10 for a domain with a hyphen in it

(Had to be said)
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2426055].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JonMills
    yeah dont add a g to the end. Select a different name or make it a little longer
    Signature
    http://www.thecopywriterwhisperer.com/ Persuasion at it's best!
    http://www.affiliateorganizer.com/ Organize your entire online business - Super affiliates give it the thumbs up!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2426157].message }}

Trending Topics