WOOOHOOO first site is up :D

33 replies
Well from getting the domain, building the site and writing the articles it's been a day and a half haha

The site is http://www.simply-guitar.com/

I love the domain and tbh I like the way the site looks but your all experts so what do you think?

Also can anyone see anything wrong with the CB products I am promoteing?

Thanks so much and any ideas on how I should get traffic would be insane

Thanks!

Charlie
#site
  • Profile picture of the author Steven Carl Kelly
    Your post linking convention is NOT doing you any favors when it comes to SEO. Naming your posts:

Code:
    http://simply-guitar.com/?p=11
    pales in comparison to naming your posts something like:

Code:
    http://simply-guitar.com/an-introduction-to-the-basics-of-playing-guitar/
    That's the first thing I'd correct, ASAP.
    Signature
    Read this SURPRISING REPORT Before You Buy ANY WSO! Click Here
    FREE REPORT: Split Test Your Landing Pages the Easy Way
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2424013].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author KhirRahman
      Originally Posted by Steven Carl Kelly View Post

Your post linking convention is NOT doing you any favors when it comes to SEO. Naming your posts:

Code:
      http://simply-guitar.com/?p=11
      pales in comparison to naming your posts something like:

Code:
      http://simply-guitar.com/an-introduction-to-the-basics-of-playing-guitar/
      That's the first thing I'd correct, ASAP.
      Agree with you. Just go to permalinks, select custom, and type or copy this /%postname%. Now more or less it helps in SEO.

Good luck
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2424044].message }}
    Are you using Google Webmaster Tools? Google Analytics? Submitting a Google sitemap? Auto-posting new posts to RSS feeds? Using a ping optimizer?

All free, all valuable traffic tools.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2424021].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author John Romaine

Are you using Google Webmaster Tools? Google Analytics? Submitting a Google sitemap? Auto-posting new posts to RSS feeds? Using a ping optimizer?

All free, all valuable traffic tools.
      Well said. Its amazing how many people dont take advantage of these great tools.
      Signature

BS free SEO services, training and advice - SEO Point

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2424857].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Caiden
    It's a good clean looking site.

I'd lose the grey background on your adsense and have it blend into the colour of your side bar. Make it look a little more like natural links.

I'm not sure about the CB learn guitar product either. I think I prefer the sales pages of both the jamorama and guitar super stars products.

Also, before you go all out promoting the domain maybe consider going for a keyword domain (like the way the CB product your promoting has) in order to get some free organic traffic quicker.

Just a few thoughts,
    Caiden
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2424024].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gravtex
    I would definitely recommend changing the titles of your blog posts to something a little more specific. Right now they're pretty general...

For example, you could take "The Basics" and change it to "The Basics of Playing the Guitar"

Gary
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2424035].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author petelta
    Good work Charlie. It's a great start. I agree with Steven when he says change that top link to anchor text. I would think you should target something like "guitar basics", "guitar basic chords", etc. It will help for SEO.

Also go to your Wordpress Admin > Settings > Permalinks, and click the bottom option - Custom Structure..enter this into the form field:

/%category%/%postname%/

now you have more keyword targeted urls instead of random numbers that do nothing for you.

Write a short report on beginning guitar and offer it to your guests...gets them on a list
    Signature
    TEESPRING Student Rakes In Over $116k In Less Than 3 Months
    Niche Pro Profits - How I raked in OVER $120k in 9 months with authority niche sites...

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2424053].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RyanT
    Originally Posted by relicah View Post

Well from getting the domain, building the site and writing the articles it's been a day and a half haha

The site is Simply Guitar

I love the domain and tbh I like the way the site looks but your all experts so what do you think?

Also can anyone see anything wrong with the CB products I am promoteing?

Thanks so much and any ideas on how I should get traffic would be insane

Thanks!

Charlie

Everything looks pretty good but I'll have to agree with the others and say to change your titles to a more eye catching helpful sounding title.

As for traffic goes there's a ton of ways to go about it. Honestly I'd look into the course in my signature. The guy is a personal friend of mine and helped me personally build a real business.

Just so you don't think I'm just pitching some product to you and I'm for real, here's something I learned through that course.

Using an article or two you need to create a powerpoint, a docstoc, and a press release.

Now go and submit those to a couple of those sites that cater to those documents and you'll be really surprised at the jump in traffic you get.

For one of my sites -www.the-quickest-way-to-lose-weight.info- my docstoc showed up on page 2 of google within a couple hours. I was stunned but hey it worked so I kept going after it.

Also, as far as generating generic search traffic you need to have your keyword or phrase more in your entire page.

For example if your keyword is "simply guitar" then it should be in your title, URL, throughout your articles, and in sub-headers. Instead of just having "More Chords" or something like that you should have your key word "Simply Guitar - More Chords For You To Practice"

Not only does it look and sound better but it will help your page get ranked and indexed for your keyword.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2424070].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author talfighel
    You should have an opt in form on your site so that you can have people subscribe to your newsletter and that you can follow up with these people on a regular basis for more sales.

Tal
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2424211].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author relicah
    Thanks guys! i have added google analytics! got rid of the CB add down the side that looked like adsense and changed the permalinks! oh i have also changed the ebook to Jamorama! and the titles! thanks again!

i wish i could have a opt in box etc but i cant aford aweber :'(

Charlie
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2424234].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author petelta
      I think they only charge $1 for your first month. Not sure if they still have that trial offer though.

Thanks guys! i have added google analytics! got rid of the CB add down the side that looked like adsense and changed the permalinks! oh i have also changed the ebook to Jamorama! and the titles! thanks again!

i wish i could have a opt in box etc but i cant aford aweber :'(

Charlie
      Signature
      TEESPRING Student Rakes In Over $116k In Less Than 3 Months
      Niche Pro Profits - How I raked in OVER $120k in 9 months with authority niche sites...

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2424251].message }}

i wish i could have a opt in box etc but i cant aford aweber
      Mail Chimp. Up to 500 people on the list, 3000 e-mails a month for FREE. And their service kicks butt.
      Signature
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2424328].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Alexa Smith
        Banned
        [DELETED]
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2424876].message }}
          Originally Posted by Alexa Smith View Post

Steven, with respect, MailChimp's terms of service specifically prohibit affiliate marketing!

We wouldn't want Charlie going to all the trouble of building up a list and then suddenly losing it, as has happened to other Warriors who didn't read the terms of service, would we?
          Good point.
          Signature
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2424904].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Leslie B

Mail Chimp. Up to 500 people on the list, 3000 e-mails a month for FREE. And their service kicks butt.
        Don't use Mailchimp if you're in the affiliate marketing business as they will close down your account. They don't like affiliate marketing.

Leslie
        Signature
        Taking it one day at a time!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2425218].message }}
    yeah i know its so tempting aha, but i have 0 funds :'( i had a few sites etc but someone close to me died so i (out of choice) sold it all for funeral costs etc, im only 16 so i cant have a card and dont have a paypal, so im kinda relying on the help and genorosity of really kind people!

could you offer any traffic advice?

Charlie
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2424259].message }}
    ahhhhh thanks bud!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2424290].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author funkynassau
      Hi,
      I am a guitar student, have taken lessons weekly for 5.5 years. I am also a lefty and I'd recommend you include a page of lefty chord charts. We are not plentiful, but we are out there, and other lefties would definitely appreciate it.

Also, you have a lot of typos in your text. I can list them if you really want me to, but I would hope you have a spellchecker. I must admit seeing typos on a website takes away from the overall content for me. You also use "i" instead of "I" when talking about yourself. I'm a writer/editor so I notice these things

Other than those things I think you are off to a good start, from a guitarist's point of view.
      Signature

ChipFixx custom mixed auto touchup paint kits.
      http://www.chipfixx.ca

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2424408].message }}
    see, i have seen mailchimp but someone told me that i wont be able to transfer my lista nd it would be better just to not have one at all than have a list i cant do anything with and cant transfer
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2424381].message }}
    ahhh thanks Funky

i know im awful at spelling dyslexic

So you recon that would be a good site for guitar players? see im a guitar player and i think it would have helped but i need more opinions haha, and yeah one of my next posts will be for leftys
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2424427].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author funkynassau
      Just trying to help!

Yes I think this would be a good site for beginners. Some links to youtube videos would be good too.

Some simple songs with a few chord changes would give the newbies the chance to actually play songs, not just practice chord changes would be beneficial. As time goes on, add in a few more advanced songs, maybe with 4 chords in them.

Help for lefties is essential; I really had to look and look for chord charts for me, back in the early days, and Guitar Tabs, Guitar Chords and Lyrics - Chordie shows their songs in lefty as well as righty.
      Signature

ChipFixx custom mixed auto touchup paint kits.
      http://www.chipfixx.ca

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2424449].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BPIcash
        Hey, what did you do to get this site up? I am doing the same thing, but not in your niche no worries.

I plan to buy a domain at go daddy, host at host gator and use word press. i this what you did?? is there a reason when Im at your site this is no www. ?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2424829].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author draede
    Great start. Try adding a bit more color
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2424923].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ArnelRicafranca
    Creating a site is very easy. The hardest is marketing. What is your plan to actually get traffic for your site? What are you doing for link building? Etc. Does are something that you want to figure out ahead of time.
    Signature
    Hire An Internet Marketer
    We Market Your Local Business Online
    http://www.HireAnInternetMarketer.com

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2424981].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jayauthor
    Congratulations on this achievement. Please fix few typos. Once you are happy with your site, you should start focusing on the traffic.

Jay Author
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2425139].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NicoleBeckett
    Definitely a good start! As a fellow lefty, I agree with funkynassau...a short part about lefties would go a long way!

One grammar error I saw - on the right side, the link says "Understand What You Playing". It should be "you're" (yes, picky I know, but these are the little things that others will see, too!)

Also, I would add a little more in the "About Me" section. You certainly don't have to give us your life story or any personal info, but let us know why you're qualified to give us these tips. Have you been playing guitar since you were a little kid? Taken lessons from a master? A few more details make you more "human" to your readers - which is always a good thing.

From an SEO standpoint, have you gotten all of your on-page optimization done the right way? Once that's taken care of, ArnelRicafranca brings up a good point - have you thought about how you're going to market your site?
    Signature
    Sick of blending in with the crowd? Ready to stand ahead of the pack? The right content writing services can get you there...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2425141].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Fairwar
    Hello,
    First of, congratulation on the start. Just a few thing you should considering changing is the color and such, also the add more graphics to the title of the site. It should be more inviting than this. This isn't a site that I would visit to learn guitar since it is a bit boring. Another thing, this looks like a blog rather than a site theme. That's all I think of now, so good luck!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2425399].message }}
    Wow thanks for all the info! i will try get all of those spelling mistakes taken care of, and looks like i wont be useing mailchimp but thanks anyway

Charlie
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2428184].message }}

Trending Topics