24 replies
I was just reading on one of Facebook's blogs that people upload 100 MILLION photos to FB a day.

100,000,000 photos... A DAY.

If you were to spend just 3 seconds reviewing each and every picture that was uploaded each day, it would take you NINE AND A HALF YEARS to look at them all.

Amazing.
#100 #day
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Wise
    Indeed, and here's a link to my holiday snaps pissingitdown.com !!!!
    Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2425872].message }}
  • So you are going to look them or not?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2425905].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Wise
    .........................Lol!
    Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2425972].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jennypitts
    LOL... don't know where this is heading, but I do not doubt it about the amount of pictures uploaded to facebook everyday. So much for having privacy... I can not believe people put their life out for all to see... Oh well...
    Signature
    Traffic Exchange - Solo Ads - Contact Solo Ads
    Social Networking For Internet Marketers to Increase Traffic to Referral Program or Site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2425993].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mohammad Afaq
    Dang, that's a hell lot of pictures.

But considering that facebook has 500 million users, that very much possible
    Signature

“The first draft of anything is shit.” ~Ernest Hemingway

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2426538].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Derwin
    Yes you are saying right that if we see every picture on face book then we will take about nine years to see very picture. Did you try this or it is an assumption and nothing but.You should try and then tell us how many years you take to see all the pictures there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2426619].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Steven Carl Kelly
      Originally Posted by Derwin View Post

Yes you are saying right that if we see every picture on face book then we will take about nine years to see very picture. Did you try this or it is an assumption and nothing but.You should try and then tell us how many years you take to see all the pictures there.
      Not every picture on Facebook... every picture that is uploaded IN A SINGLE DAY. Today there are 100,000,000 new pictures on Facebook. Tomorrow, there will be ANOTHER 100,000,000 new pictures on Facebook.
      Signature
      Read this SURPRISING REPORT Before You Buy ANY WSO! Click Here
      FREE REPORT: Split Test Your Landing Pages the Easy Way
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2426644].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Lawrh
    When I saw the thread title I wondered if that's how much you are earning...
    Signature

“Strategy without action is a day-dream; action without strategy is a nightmare.” – Old Japanese proverb -

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2426670].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author djbventures
    What do I love? ENTREPRENEURS!!!!!!!!!!! HELL YA!
    Signature
    Deirdre J. Baker
    CEO - Superior Business Management Solutions, LLC
    Support Services for Small Biz and Entrepreneurs

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2426679].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Shaunman
      Wow, 100,000,000 photos a day. Makes you want to start a web 2.0 site.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2426944].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dailysextoys
    hell of a stat. I came here expecting a lesson on how to make $100,000,000/day
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2426992].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BPIcash
      Originally Posted by dailysextoys View Post

hell of a stat. I came here expecting a lesson on how to make $100,000,000/day
      you are in the right place. i just wouldnt suggest advertising your niche website here. i assume that is the adult sector. hey! sex sells good luck

there is a lot to learn here, welcome
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2426996].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author NicheMayhem
        My math may not be completely accurate but that comes out to about 5 terabytes of pictures a day with each picture being around 50KB. 1825 Terabytes per year.

What is the biggest hard drive you can buy these days? I am sure Facebook can get bigger drives then us but the biggest we can buy, that I know of, is 2TB.

I am running 3 1TB drives in my home computer and have so much stuff and so much more room it is crazy. When you consider all the pictures they already store plus the daily expansion and how they probably have to have some sort of Raid setup with hot swaps and backups, holy balls.
        Signature
        Whether you think you can, or think you can't, YOU'RE RIGHT!! <~~Henry Ford

Check out my video gigs on fiverr!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2427084].message }}
          Originally Posted by NicheMayhem View Post

When you consider all the pictures they already store plus the daily expansion and how they probably have to have some sort of Raid setup with hot swaps and backups, holy balls.
          Facebook currently has about 60,000 servers. Enterprise data storage is quite advanced. They'll manage.
          Signature

“Strategy without action is a day-dream; action without strategy is a nightmare.” – Old Japanese proverb -

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2427097].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author NicheMayhem
            Originally Posted by Lawrh View Post

Facebook currently has about 60,000 servers. Enterprise data storage is quite advanced. They'll manage.
            Well thanks but slightly obvious, I realize they are quite advanced and run on regional servers like all the other big sites but space is still space and I just wonder how much space that site actually takes up.

Advanced or not storage is still storage and space is still space so are they so advanced they do not need to run 60,000 servers on a Raid array?

Certainly not a question of if they will manage, just a curiosity about how much room they have to maintain.
            Signature
            Whether you think you can, or think you can't, YOU'RE RIGHT!! <~~Henry Ford

Check out my video gigs on fiverr!
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2427141].message }}
              Originally Posted by NicheMayhem View Post

Certainly not a question of if they will manage, just a curiosity about how much room they have to maintain.
              You'll have visit a datacenter to understand. I have no idea how Facebook configures their datacenters, but at my last network I installed a fiber-channel SAN (storage area network). It had 24 15k RPM fiber-channel drives in a RAID 10 (mirrored arrays) configuration. It only took 5U of a 72U rack.

If you want to wrap your head around something, consider that Google has 1.2 million servers...

Once you get to major corporate level data centers, you must change the way you think. Nothing related to a regular company "server room" or your PC gives an appropriate context. See if you can find someone to get you a tour of a corporate datacenter, it's very cool.
              Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2427236].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author timpears
            Originally Posted by Lawrh View Post

I used to work for Hewlett Packard in the server and storage business. I used to be involved with the storage section. I bet HP would slobber all over themselves for their business.
            Signature

Tim Pears

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2427153].message }}
              Originally Posted by timpears View Post

I used to work for Hewlett Packard in the server and storage business. I used to be involved with the storage section. I bet HP would slobber all over themselves for their business.
              Sounds like a cool job. Yeah, I've dealt with HP sales. Some of them can barely contain themselves. They should take lessons from IBM. Those guys are cool and relaxed and treat you very well. Dangerous.
              Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2427293].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author dailysextoys
        Originally Posted by BPIcash View Post

you are in the right place. i just wouldnt suggest advertising your niche website here. i assume that is the adult sector. hey! sex sells good luck

there is a lot to learn here, welcome
        hahaha, thank you. I am definitely not here to advertise my site. You are correct on the sector but my stay here is to act like a sponge and soak up all the info i can. Thanks for the welcome!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2427239].message }}

Trending Topics