I Can't Get Off the 3rd Page for My Main Keyword!

19 replies
  • SEO
  • |
So this is not news to anybody, but still a problem to me! and a seriously aggravating one.
I rank pretty well for sub keywords. Even 2 plus words. But not my main keyword which is product specific and only one word.

I have been stuck on page 3 for quite a long time for my main keyword and have not budged.

Has anybody found a cause for this or a way to work around it?
Because I really think I might lose my damn mind if i have to sit in crappy third much longer.
#3rd #keyword #main #page
  • Profile picture of the author tpw
    Stop building links... Seriously...

Then you can move to page four...

The truth is probably that your competitors are playing a bit harder than you are.
    Signature
    Bill Platt, Oklahoma USA, PlattPublishing.com
    Publish Coloring Books for Profit (WSOTD 7-30-2015)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3376998].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SirHarrrison
      Originally Posted by tpw View Post

Stop building links... Seriously...

Then you can move to page four...

The truth is probably that your competitors are playing a bit harder than you are.
      I have watched my competitors fall beneath me for my long tail keywords. It is only my main keyword that is killing me.

Plus I'm not trying to get to page four...I'm trying to get to page ONE.
      Signature

"This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object."

Thank you,
      Harrison

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3377040].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author SirHarrrison
        Oh.hahahahaha I gotchya.

lol

But, still I completely destroy my competition for most of my long tail Kw's
        Signature

"This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object."

Thank you,
        Harrison

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3377047].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Benjamin Ehinger
    My advice, which you might not like, is simple. When this happens it is time to move on to another project and come back to this one in a month or so. Sometimes you just need to let your site get older and get a little bit of natural growth.

Instead of beating yourself up over this one site, build another one. Work on it for a while, then come back to this one.

Benjamin Ehinger
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3377141].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andyhenry
    I know this is going to fall on death ears because I'm sure you already know this - but....

GET MORE LINKS!!!!!

It's that simple.

have you looked at the links your competition have? You should easily be able to tell how much work you need to do.
    Signature

nothing to see here.

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3377160].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joshua Rigley
    Banned
    Just keep adding high quality content and backlinks. This might not be the answer you want, but it is the right answer.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3377171].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author kimberley bean
      Originally Posted by Joshua Rigley View Post

Just keep adding high quality content and backlinks. This might not be the answer you want, but it is the right answer.
      I agree with this. Solid content is king at the end of the day.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3377204].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Landis
        Originally Posted by kimberley bean View Post

I agree with this. Solid content is king at the end of the day.
        Solid content is not king when it comes to raising your serps. Sadly, someone has misinformed you.

To OP: Assuming your onpage seo is topnotch, all that is left is off page. Continue getting links from as many different sources as possible (comments, forum profiles, forum sigs, web2.0s, article directories, guest blogging, link exchanges, social bookmarks, etc). Build backlinks to your backlinks. Put some effort into indexing your backlinks. Also make sure to use a variety of anchor texts when linking to your site.
        Signature

buying bulk warm seo leads (PM me)

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3377225].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Owen Smith
    Backlinks are the king of ranking.

In truth, you put the vital SEO into the website like H1 tags, H2 tags, meta, keywords, bold main keyword, italic. After that you need backlink like hell.

I look at my competitors backlinks and use their backlinks to gain backlinks for my website.

Works a charm. There are also backlinks ebooks, whic I do off one free.
    Signature

All the Hottest eBooks, Graphics, Software, Videos, Articles, and Templates you want with PLR and MRR. Join PLR Assassin Today!

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3377385].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3377394].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author greatseoservice
    Check what your competitors are doing (backilinks) try to copy them.
    Dont wait for google to just rank you, give it good reasons to rank you.
    If you are not good at seo outsource it, if you are why did you stop?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3377428].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AStateOfLogic
    Mainly work on building those links. Someone mentioned to give it some time for natural growth. That certainly isn't a bad idea to see what it happens.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3377476].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael Mayo
    Something that is really simple and a lot of people forget.

If you haven't already done so then put you Keyword in the sites Title Tag.

Next make sure that your Keyword is used in the site with H1 tags and that the landing page also contains the Keyword in the page title.

I no this sounds to simple but it will make a big difference and the change will happen very fast.

If this is the case then please let me know via PM how it effected your rankings.
    I've been testing one change at a time for a few months now and have many stats
    that I like to compare.

The last person that I told this to moved from page 3 position 9 to page 1 position 3
    using this simple process.

I'm not saying that it will work ever time. It depends on your competition and their
    SEO efforts. Although, I have beaten out WalMart, Toy's R Us, Meijers and Sears with
    this one change in the past.

Hope that Helps,
    Have a Great Day!
    Michael
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3377504].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author CoreySmy
    You could also look at re-optimising your site for the specific keywords you would like to rank for I used a product called WebCeo and got my site from in the low 100's to the 1 spot on google for single word keywords. Another product that also seems to be popular and has some good features is Traffic Travis although I have not used it, so I can't comment on it's performance. Both of these products have free versions which is all I used.
    Good luck! See you at page 1.
    Signature

How to make up to 10k per trade www.growmoneygrow.com

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3379409].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dvduval
    It may be that google doesn't see you as an authority. One thing that Matt Cutts said that really piqued my interest was his mention of the Katamari Technique. It involves building "around" a topic, and slowly growing in authority while getting greater and greater keywords as you go.
    Signature
    It is okay to contact me! I have been developing software since 1999, creating many popular products like phpLD.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3382953].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author HostStage
    Start building quality links directly to your home page without dealing with complicated linkwheels and "meganets" )
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3383051].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tony Marriott
      On page SEO is important for new sites but after a while it's almost irrelevant as the whole weight falls to the backlinks.

The answer is, as everyone has said, backlinks. I'm pretty sure you are already backlinking though.

But rather than just attack it, do some research and get some facts so you know what you are competing against. Use Market Samurai or a similar tool to analyse the page 1 results. Don’t' worry about page 2 or the others on page 3. If you want to be on page 1 then the top 10 sites are the ones you need to beat. If you can't beat them then little point in wasting your energy beating the page 3 guys. look at your competition on page 1. See how many backlinks they have to the domain in total, see how many to the page specifically. Check the PR's of these backlinks and the anchor text.

That is what you will need to do to compete!

If it's too much, then do as an earlier responder said and leave it. Move onto another project that will give you a better return on your time and effort.

If you think it is possible then first look at all the backlinks of your competitors (especially the higher PR backlinks and see if you can get links from those sites as well. Often you will find lots of free high PR links that way. I'm probably stating the obvious but use your main keyword as anchor text.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3383162].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author onlineinternetbiz
    The best thing I have found is to change your backlink strategy and mix it up. Most people use the same strategy over and over like article marketing, blog commenting, etc. Do something you haven't done before. I did this just last week with a site that had been stuck at #10 on Google for months. Went to #3 position nearly overnight.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3383198].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BenJackson
    Two words: GO HARD

Have you written articles, have you converted and distributed them as audio, as videos, as pdf's? Blog commenting, bookmarks, blog reviews, guest posts, link wheels, free blogs, profile backlinks, press releases, site directories etc.

Get going and don't look back.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3383411].message }}

Trending Topics