by NWW
6 replies
  • SEO
  • |
Hi all,

First off, great forum with huge ressources.

I've been researching the IM field for the past couple of weeks to elaborate a project for the next year or so that suits my needs. This forum has been a huge help in my quest and has provided me with many responses I had been seeking for.

Here are the remaining questions I have.

1°) Beeing a Med Studend, that implies two things: I don't have a lot of money nor time to spend. So I turned myself to the Micro Niche segment. Could "Blogger" do the trick, or will I eventually have to go the domain route?

2°) My goal isn't that high, maybe 200 to 300€ / month, to facilitate my life in college. Is that attainable with around 2 to 3 hours a day work around IM?

Thank you for your time in advance, and I wish you all well.

Regards,

NWW.
#newbie #questions
  • Profile picture of the author msgolightly
    I'm pretty much a newbie, but from what I've read it seems the majority of people are recommending Wordpress paid version because google searches it much better than most other things. That said, I have a couple of blogs on blogspot which rank at the top when people know pretty much what they are about -so, if you have a good network on FB or Twitter you might be able to get another platform to work for you.

On the second question the answer is "it depends" - sorry. Depends on how popular your site is (how well you publicise it, your PR etc), how you are monetising (adwords, your own product, affiliate prods etc). Cheers F
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3380596].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NWW
      Originally Posted by msgolightly View Post

I'm pretty much a newbie, but from what I've read it seems the majority of people are recommending Wordpress paid version because google searches it much better than most other things. That said, I have a couple of blogs on blogspot which rank at the top when people know pretty much what they are about -so, if you have a good network on FB or Twitter you might be able to get another platform to work for you.

On the second question the answer is "it depends" - sorry. Depends on how popular your site is (how well you publicise it, your PR etc), how you are monetising (adwords, your own product, affiliate prods etc). Cheers F
      Thank you for your answer.

I didn't mean One micro niche site, I meant multiple.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3381544].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author amylimcd
    I don't know the currency translation of your money goal, but if it is anything like $200-$300 a month, then micro niche sites working only 3 hours a day are definitely doable for that income goal.

Just remember that the income starts off as very small - and the secret is not to get discouraged and to keep building pages and backlinks. Also, do not get distracted and waste your time on other things since you only have 3 hours- devote it to publishing content and building links.

I have sites that started off only making $2/a month and are now making $50 a month. And, of course with the micro site model, you need to build more sites.

One thing you should think about is making one of your sites more of an authority site on a niche topic- it is the same amount of time, but it builds a more valuable asset and will create a higher income stream over time- plus, it is more consistent with Google's view of quality sites there is much less of a risk that your site will get penalized or de-indexed (v micro sites).

Amy
    Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3381834].message }}
      Originally Posted by amylimcd View Post

I don't know the currency translation of your money goal, but if it is anything like $200-$300 a month, then micro niche sites working only 3 hours a day are definitely doable for that income goal.

Just remember that the income starts off as very small - and the secret is not to get discouraged and to keep building pages and backlinks. Also, do not get distracted and waste your time on other things since you only have 3 hours- devote it to publishing content and building links.

I have sites that started off only making $2/a month and are now making $50 a month. And, of course with the micro site model, you need to build more sites.

One thing you should think about is making one of your sites more of an authority site on a niche topic- it is the same amount of time, but it builds a more valuable asset and will create a higher income stream over time- plus, it is more consistent with Google's view of quality sites there is much less of a risk that your site will get penalized or de-indexed (v micro sites).

Amy
      Thank you for your insight Amy. Yes, the translation is roughly 1€ = $1, and I was thinking of doing just what you told (one authority site, on which I would publish daily).

Do you also think that paid domain is the way to go vs a blogger account?

Thank you.

Regards,

NWW
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3382309].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author amylimcd
        Originally Posted by NWW View Post

Thank you for your insight Amy. Yes, the translation is roughly 1€ = $1, and I was thinking of doing just what you told (one authority site, on which I would publish daily).

Do you also think that paid domain is the way to go vs a blogger account?

Thank you.

Regards,

NWW
        For me, I never build anything I want to be an ASSET for me on anything other than my own site- otherwise you do not really control it.

Think of a business where you are going to build an income producing apartment building on land you do not own. You are going to put all this time and money into something that at the end of the day has a huge component that is owned by someone else.

For your authority site, I would make sure it is on your own domain - over time, you will have a big asset where each page helps the other ones- you want to own the URLs.

If you are really cash strapped, you can try using blogger for the first set of sites until you make enough to cover domain and hosting costs and then move over as you grow your site network.

But in my experience, those other sites are also really hard to rank high for these days. Early last year and the year before (2008), they worked really well and I could rank them easily on homepage of Google, but now, you rarely see them on Page 1 (unless the keyword is really low competition which probably means no adsense potential).

A domain is $4.99 (on sale now at 1and1) to $10 a year and hosting (where you can put up unlimited sites) is about $9 a month. If you are committed, this is an extremely low start up budget requirement.

Good luck- just get started and be persistent and patient.

Amy
        Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3382714].message }}
          Thank you very much.

Always helpful you guys.

Cheers,

NWW.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3386143].message }}

Trending Topics