Someone has put a 1000 backlinks on my blog

11 replies
  • SEO
  • |
I looked up all the backlinks on my blog which is only 6 months old.There is one thousand backlinks from a website I know nothing about. I don't have a lot of backlinks as I am new at this. The other backlinks are what I would consider appropriate - a handful from Hubpages and Squidoo and that sort of thing. I am afraid this makes my site look like it is connected to a link farm?Can anyone explain any of this to me or suggest what I should do please?
#backlinks #blog #put
  • Profile picture of the author Scott Million
    Originally Posted by Jamie Quinn View Post

I looked up all the backlinks on my blog which is only 6 months old.There is one thousand backlinks from a website I know nothing about. I don't have a lot of backlinks as I am new at this. The other backlinks are what I would consider appropriate - a handful from Hubpages and Squidoo and that sort of thing. I am afraid this makes my site look like it is connected to a link farm?Can anyone explain any of this to me or suggest what I should do please?
    If spamming links to your competitor hurt them, everyone would be doing it. You're fine. Probably registered a .net or .org and forgot to use that extension and instead used .com.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3384436].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jamie Quinn
      Thank you for that reassurance. regards
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3384461].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WPMaker
        Exacly as Scott Million writed. This don't work this way. I would even say you are lucky that somebody linked your site. It should help your site but definitely won't hurt it.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3384645].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jameskahon
      Originally Posted by Scott Million View Post

If spamming links to your competitor hurt them, everyone would be doing it. You're fine. Probably registered a .net or .org and forgot to use that extension and instead used .com.
      Point taken. But what about the event of the sudden 1000 backlinks to his blog. Does Google won't take this unnatural and might give a red flag on his site?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3384688].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WPMaker
        Originally Posted by jameskahon View Post

Point taken. But what about the event of the sudden 1000 backlinks to his blog. Does Google won't take this unnatural and might give a red flag on his site?
        No. Probably those 1000 backlinks are just from one site, if the link is for example in the sidebar and the website have many sites indexed
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3384722].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author jameskahon
          Originally Posted by Art_Marks View Post

No. Probably those 1000 backlinks are just from one site, if the link is for example in the sidebar and the website have many sites indexed
          I see. A sitewide link that is. Thanks.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3384743].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jordan Kovats
    Or, if you left a blog comment, probably it got syndicated and into a blog roll. Your fine, don't worry about it. I left less than 10 comments on a blog I frequent over the last 5 months, and WMT is showing 1500 links from them to me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3384648].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aardentlimo
    Don't worry I think that won't hurt your site but please check the status of your site and check from where the back links are coming through......
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3384844].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Derek S
    yeah like others have said... Probably posted on a site with a "recent comments" plug in on the sidebar and the link spread to every page.

Actually a great way to build site wide and homepage links when I find sites that nearly never get commented on and you can get your link to stick!
    Signature

--- Work Smart... Not Hard ---

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3384893].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jamie Quinn
    Thanks to all those replies - much appreciated.
    I am now a lot more reassured!
    regards
    Jamie
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3386140].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author damianfleming52
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3386307].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MikeFriedman
      This in my opinion is part of the reason for what people call the Google Dance.

If a comment gets picked up like this you can have 100's or 1000's of links picked up at once. However, they will slowly (or not so slowly) disappear. I think this can cause the site to bounce around a little bit in the rankings until the link count starts climbing again.

I haven't tested it extensively, but I have sites all the time going from 3000 links to 1500 all of a sudden because of this exact thing.

Nothing to worry about though. Google could care less.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3386465].message }}

Trending Topics