Is there a cure for grasshopper brain???

21 replies
I have been trying to be successful on the internet for a few years now. Some of that time has been a learning process, and some has been misdirected.

But my main problem is that I'm always having new ideas, either for new projects I want to start, new domain name suggestions, etc. etc.

This should be great, but my time at the moment is limited. And I realise (through experience) that focussing on 1 project at a time is better.

So, how do I stop my brain from keep coming up with ideas? I realise in this business that if you don't act on ideas fast, someone else will beat me to it. I also don't have sufficient income to outsource a new project on a whim.

Could I make money from just an idea?

I was thinking about giving these ideas away in a mailing list, or on a blog. Obviously, I hope that that would retain subscribers and I could sell to them later.

Any suggestions? Is there cure?
#brain #cure #grasshopper #grasshopper brain #keep focused
  • Profile picture of the author TLTheLiberator
    How about simply fileing away your "ideas" in a notepad file on your computer, getting a simple online business plan and focusing on actually conducting the plan.

Or...

If you think you have something that could make you money, why not get busy with it asap and see what happens.

But how about one project at a time?

Who's in charge you or your brain?

Hope This Helps!!

TL
    Signature

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. -- Mark Twain

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[443904].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Roger Mayne
      How about simply fileing away your "ideas" in a notepad file on your computer, getting a simple online business plan and focusing on actually conducting the plan.
      This is fine, but this is how I started. I flit from project to project, and never get any to fruition. That's why I've been gradually selling off some of my other sites.

If I note down the ideas, and don't act upon them, then someone else might have something done before I get a chance to get it started.

Or...

If you think you have something that could make you money, why not get busy with it asap and see what happens.
      See above

But how about one project at a time?

Who's in charge you or your brain?

Hope This Helps!!

TL
      Sometimes, I'm just not sure!!!

Thanks for your input.
      Signature

"If you don't quit, you can't fail"
      Success will follow.

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[443924].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KatieWilliams
    I really sympathise as I tend to get distracted by anything shiny.

I'd recommend keeping your new ideas filed away somewhere until you get some free time to pick ONE of them up. Sure, somebody might have already had that same idea and implemented it, but they might not have.

The alternative seems to be to continue racing from one thing to another, which will probably lead to none of your ideas being implemented (as well as they could be) - so you might have 10 ideas being worked on, none of them being completed, and other people might beat you to finishing all 10.

At least by focusing on 1, you're likely to get that finished, even if someone beats you with the other 9.

Good luck

Katie
    Signature

Katie

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[444027].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eric X Vignola
    Focus is really what you need. I completely agree with TMG and TL grab yourself a notebook and just scribble it down in there then forget about it and keep moving on. Dont think too much about the ideas either or they will waste away your time. Just write it down and move on.

It is hard, but in the long run you might come to realize your brain is jumping around so much because the current work you are doing is "hard" or "time consuming" and it is trying to think of a faster way of making money.

There is no real "FAST" way to make money. Unless you work really hard, really fast. Good luck, and just try to stay focused!
    Signature

Need Articles, Reports, eBooks, anything?
    Check Out My Ghost Writing Services

PLR articles and reports? Coming Soon...

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[444032].message }}
    Well, the concensus appears to be to write them down and forget about them. That's going to take some training!!

One more question, though. What about if my idea is the purchase of a domain name that I have thought of? Should I still just jot it down and hope that no-one else has it when I come back?
    Signature

Success will follow.

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[444047].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eric X Vignola
    I look at domain names like real estate. If you have a plan, money and time, you can turn an empty lot into a huge whatever and make money off of it. However if you do not have the money, time, or a plan then all you do is spend money and pay taxes but it never makes you any money.

Some people like to just buy domains then they sit on them and never do anything, so if you are going to buy it. Then buy it because you are working and focusing on some project that involves that domain.

Otherwise dont worry about it and move on.
    Signature

Need Articles, Reports, eBooks, anything?
    Check Out My Ghost Writing Services

PLR articles and reports? Coming Soon...

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[444055].message }}
    Thank you to everyone who has posted a reply. I have to retrain my brain and buy a notepad.

Anyone doing a notepad WSO??!!??
    Signature

Success will follow.

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[444069].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tina Golden
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[445236].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author stacyfox
      Have you considered becoming part of a mastermind/accountability group where the members help each other stay focused? Paying a coach to keep you on track could help as well. If you are not able to stay on one task through individual motivation, having others kick you in the butt can help!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[446172].message }}
        Originally Posted by stacyfox View Post

Have you considered becoming part of a mastermind/accountability group where the members help each other stay focused? Paying a coach to keep you on track could help as well. If you are not able to stay on one task through individual motivation, having others kick you in the butt can help!
        Hi Stacy

I think this is a great idea. I have tried linking up with other Warriors who I know are in my local area, but it hasn't worked out for one reason or another.

I think being accountable to others is perfect. My partner is starting to understand more of what I do online, so she is getting better to bounce ideas off, but not always.

The threads that have been appearing lately saying "Watch me make $X in X days" do this for the individuals running them. It makes thema accountable in front of the whole forum.
        Signature

Success will follow.

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[446926].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author HappyFeet
          Everyone who does internet marketing grapples with flight of ideas problem.
          Even the gurus. So you are not alone okay.

The difference between those who succeeed and those who do is learning
          to deal with distractions.

There are distractions every where. The main one being your 'Inbox'.
          There are others but that is a major one.

Pick one project, Stick to it, see it through, launch it and see how
          it performs before moving on.

During that time, delete all irrelevant distracting incoming emails even from
          your favorite guru. They are usually pre-launch emails about the
          next big thing that is going to make you millions anyway or the real launch
          itself.

Don't worry, you are not missing out, because another bus will come along
          very soon so to speak.

They only serve to distract you. Period.
          That's one tactic I use and it works.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[447063].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shaddai
    grasshopper brain...never heard it called that before. I suffer from it as well!!

What I did was get one of those hardcover little journals at a bookstore..then I keep it with me. Once you have an idea, scribble it down. It helps me forget about them (because my little book is remembering it for me) & get my focus back on what I was doing in the first place.

Anyway, stacyfox's idea is something I'm really wanting to do too, I just need to find locals to do it with that aren't MLM people...

Todd
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[446210].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Writing Pete
    I've been there myself, and still have my "off" days where focusing seems impossible.

I think learning to focus is really like quitting a bad habit (distraction) and replacing it with a good one.

Since you're going with the notepad, I think you might want to try mind-mapping (it's so much better on real paper) and highlight the tasks you need to take care of, and the tasks that you would be better off outsourcing. As each task is completed you can cross out a "bubble" in your mind map.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[446378].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Austin Delaney
    I suffer from the same condition - lol

Have started using simple·ology - The Simple Science of Getting What You Want - so far so good.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[446490].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nicholasb
    Dont move on to your next project until you are having success with your first one.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[446553].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Adam Sussman
    What you call "grasshopper brain" I call "monkey mind".

I like to concentrate on one project. I also allow time so that I can work on other projects. To do this I need to prioritize and stick to it.

The main project is always worked on first. Once I have completed todays activities I can then work on another project. I also make sure that I have no more than three projects running at one time.

This works for me. I realize that if I work on every idea I have, I'll end up getting nothing done.

Adam
    Signature
    "He elicits the same kind of admiration one would feel for a streaker at Queen Victorias funeral."

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[446702].message }}
    Thanks HappyFeet

I realised that my inbox was a problem, so I spent some time a while ago unsubscribing from almost every email newsletter I was on. Most of the time, I wasn't getting time to read them anyway.

That did help a lot.
    Signature

Success will follow.

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[447068].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author madison_avenue
    Use Dragon Naturally speaking and create a journal or log of your day. You can include what you have implemented and your targets the next day.

You can include a small section for your new ideas. This way your ideas are securely filed away for you can come back to and implement.

Have a look at this site for a few minutes when you need to motivate yourself to focus:

Steve Pavlina Audio
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[447086].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author stacyfox
      Keep in mind that a mastermind does not have to be local in this high tech era. A group can develop using Skype technology. Set aside a specific time each week that each of the members consider "sacred" and get together. Have a regular group leader or rotate the leader to keep people on topic and keep the group on time. Keep the group small (5-6 is ideal). If you give each person 15 minutes, it will keep the whole thing to under 2 hours.

Another advantage to having a skype based group is that everyone can stay logged in even when you are not in session. Then, when you need someone else to take a look at a header or test an order page, you can ask your group. If people don't take advantage of this, it can be a wonderful resource.

Stacy
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[452238].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author naphets66
    I am the same ways at times. But putting the ideas away in a notebook helps. I have a stack of these now. You know what I never get back to them really. I have learned to only have a few projects going and then when one is totally finished, I can pick another. Each time I look back at ideas even a few months old, they look less appealing because I have learned more in that amount of time. But it is good practice and somehow that really good ideas get fixed in your mind just with the act of writing them down and they come back. But writing things down gives you freedom to release the idea from your mind so you can focus and see your current project(s) through to the end.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[452494].message }}

Trending Topics