How To Get Your First Job On A Freelance Site

27 replies
I am currently a freelancer over at oDesk. I know there is some money to be made by doing little freelance projects, however since I just started what would you all suggest to increase my chances of winning a proposal?

I have completed all the usual like finishing my profile and taken a few tests so im good to go.
#freelance #job #site
  • Profile picture of the author Romen esko
    Hello Friends,

Heard freelancer.com is a scam. But I might be wrong.Better to do some research. The best way of freelancing is to actually meet people and let them see you portfolio. When needed they will recommend you to their contacts.And use that website to hire people for any projects - you obviously cannot build up ANY track record until you get an actual gig and can use them as a future reference.

Best Regards
    Romen esko

[REMOVED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7004901].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rebeccha Haase
      Originally Posted by Romen esko View Post

Hello Friends,

Heard freelancer.com is a scam. But I might be wrong.Better to do some research. The best way of freelancing is to actually meet people and let them see you portfolio. When needed they will recommend you to their contacts.And use that website to hire people for any projects - you obviously cannot build up ANY track record until you get an actual gig and can use them as a future reference.

Best Regards
      Romen esko
      You are here to only promote your link. Nothing else.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7037065].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Julzwriter
      Banned
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7129422].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vutshuvo
    it is very important to be confident , if you want to be successful freelancer.
    i am working as freelancer in different market place.
    so be confident and be expert in your sector.
    Signature

Never Pay Roaming and No roaming chargesthrough phone call

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7005897].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author OutsourceFactor
    You try and state the things that you could contribute to the project. In my opinion, your rate doesn't really matter when applying for projects as long as it's reasonable. Make sure you have a brief sample attached so your potential client can see what you can actually do as opposed to them going to your profile and checking out your samples there.

Goodluck!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7006406].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author tealhorsedesign
    I have used freelancer to hire/be hired.. it is not a scam, just be careful of who your hiring/being hired by, as always.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7006964].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ppcseorank
    I am actually using odesk i was thinking into making profiles down at freelancer and odesk.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7009583].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kazim
    Profile is not a matter in odesk. But to get good work it needs experience. It is very necessary for all freelance site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7012518].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author solomos
    freelancer.com is not a scam. i ve used several times in hte past to rent a programmer and did pay him. also it did protect me from some scammers as well.

but i suppose its quite easy to build up a good profile.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7012831].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ojedarp
    If you have the skills or have a good portfolio, you can easily get your first job. Just be competitive and polite towards the client
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7013756].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author andlosek
    Write an unique cover letter focusing why you fit for client project.Then answer the question that he/she look for in his job posting.Don't over commit. As a newbie place a comparatively low rate.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7018718].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kingprince999
    i guess you should bid really low to get yourself the project and ofcourser only on projects in which you are a master of
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7024065].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author mrjohn12
    I am about two years working on freelancer.com . And till now my first work is running . I use to update my cover letter . I am not from a developed country it was a bad side in getting works . But if anybody get a good feedback then Its sure that he is going to get something better next time . So firstly we who are from developing countries we should bid very low to get a work and also to get a good feed back . Then the way will be easier .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7025162].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jkibbles
    Freelance, Odesk, and Elance are all legitimate sites to find freelance work. I've used them all at one time or another to get hired for everything from installing Wordpress blogs to writing articles. However, getting that first gig can be a nightmare. I started on Odesk, and it took about 2 weeks of constant bidding to get my first gig. I did everything I could think of for those couple of weeks to attract buyers, and I can't honestly tell you what the key factor was that finally tipped the hand in my direction. However, I can give you a couple of pointers.

First, be articulate. Any time you post on the site, make sure you are using proper spelling, grammar, and syntax. I've noticed that most people hiring are sticklers for that sort of thing.

Second, when you start out you'll have to bid low. I nearly gave my work away for the first few jobs, but once you get a reputation built up and have a working relationship with some of the buyers, you can raise your rates a bit.

Third, when bidding, be precise and show that you know the topic you're talking about. If someone wants you to write an article about SEO, write your bid in such a way that it shows you know what you're talking about. I've even gone so far as to write a paragraph about the topic and pasted it in my reply to show my knowledge.

Finally, honesty works wonders. Explain that you are new to the site, that you are looking to make a reputation, and that you will go above and beyond the normal in order to do a fantastic job for them. However, don't beg or sound desperate.

It is possible to make money at the freelance sites, and I know people who actually make a very good supplemental income by picking up jobs on there. However, you're going to have to dedicate quite a bit of time to it. Especially at first, when you have no reputation and no jobs under your belt, you'll need to bid for every single job that you can do. Later on, you can get a bit more picky, but your goal right now is to get a few jobs under your belt and build a reputation.

Good luck to you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7025317].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author pumpkinpatch1987
    I've been trying to find work on Freelancer.com and other similar sites (odesk) but I have never had much luck. I was hired once on Freelancer.com and was never hired again. That was about 1 year ago. I don't know, I might give it another go in the future but I just think that there is a lot of stiff competition on there.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7026696].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jkibbles
      Originally Posted by pumpkinpatch1987 View Post

I've been trying to find work on Freelancer.com and other similar sites (odesk) but I have never had much luck. I was hired once on Freelancer.com and was never hired again. That was about 1 year ago. I don't know, I might give it another go in the future but I just think that there is a lot of stiff competition on there.
      There is a ton of competition, and a ton of competition that is charging less than what someone from the US or UK would consider working for. However, you can get past the competition if you work hard at it and are willing to take a few low paying jobs to get your reputation built up.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7026864].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author pumpkinpatch1987
        Originally Posted by jkibbles View Post

There is a ton of competition, and a ton of competition that is charging less than what someone from the US or UK would consider working for. However, you can get past the competition if you work hard at it and are willing to take a few low paying jobs to get your reputation built up.
        Yeah, judging by the responses of the above posters, it looks like I'll practically have to work for free in the beginning...I'm thinking of giving elance, odesk etc. another go since I've hit hard times recently.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7036006].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author suhailajmal
    I'd suggest to post your service on Fiverr and SEOClerks. These are micro gig sites and you can get quick projects if you're good what you advertise. In addition to this, try Digital Point forum. Hope it'd help.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7031941].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author backlinksrockstar
    For me, being successful in writing proposals lies in your sincerity and enthusiasm with the project. Avoid writing generic cover letters and focus on the project you are applying for. Show your enthusiasm for the project by asking questions related to the project. There are also other places than oDesk to do freelance jobs.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7034859].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author saddam hussain
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7039076].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author vutshuvo
      I would like to suggest you that read jobs requirement very carefully.
      then ledge your proposal for doing that project
      hope, by doing this way , you will get jobs at freelancing market place
      Signature

Never Pay Roaming and No roaming chargesthrough phone call

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7053404].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jonathancottlea
    I don't know the way to get my first job a Freelance site. Anyone can help me?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7077842].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author johnpaulgrant
      There are a lot of freelance sites out there, odesk, freelancer, elance, seek, and etc. Or better yet, you can create a portfolio online and promote it to get better chances of clients seeing your profile.
      Signature

I am an expert in outsourcing to The Philippines and have been working with Filipino virtual assistants for more than 5 years. I am the co-founder of RemoteWorkMate (VA management service) and RemoteStaffRecruit (VA recruitment service) Check out my blog >>>LifeStyleBusinessDesign<<<!

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7091192].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Tony Nguyen
      Originally Posted by jonathancottlea View Post

I don't know the way to get my first job a Freelance site. Anyone can help me?
      Never know how to get job in a Freelance site. Pls help me, too! :confused:
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7408794].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sbglobal79
    there are no use of such site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7089381].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author charm01
    So many freelance sites, and it really is hard to win for bid even though you have completed your profile, show case your works but then all is failed. Outsourcing companies tend to offer so much lower payment and those are often the one who have not enough experiences. I have seen one post which asks for a logo for a fee of $2?! But you know what, you have to learn marketing yourself online with your sample works than joining freelance sites.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7089872].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rising_sun
    Banned
    It was an amazing matter ,when I got this,I could not believe my eyes,
    a painful pleasure I felt on that time,
    it was more than that when I got the first payment.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7111091].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rezuanur Rahman
    HI friends whats up,
    Actually I am a newcomer in warriorforum.com.I think this topic is very interesting.For that i am very much excited to posting here..Here i describe the 5 Ways to get your first freelance client>>>

1. Work for your friends and family.

2. Ask for referrals.

3. Partner with someone who already has access to your target market.

4. Go to live conferences, trade shows, and events.

5. Write about your topic.

so, follow this ways.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7199619].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author esuresh
    You can also expect the kinds of mails that is given below while applying online. This is a mail I got when I opened my mail now. This is no where connected to the job I applied for. You can see how these clowns try to cheat.

Message From The Client
    Hi,I know you're looking for work

I have 2 online opportunities for you that will help you earn. Please follow these instructions

First opportunity (Potential Income is UNLIMITED): register here for FREE. http://www.clixsense.com/?4605820 after you register
    please follow the instructions.
    1.go to view ads. click ALL ads 1 by 1. After you click all ads.

Second opportunity (Potential Income is UNLIMITED): register here for http://www.neobux.com/?rh=6D6F6C646F76616E6972656D7573 after you register please follow the instructions.

1. Just go to view advertisements. click all advertisements 1 by 1

P.S.

People are sending me thank you messages for giving this opportunity.

Thanks,
    oDesk Support
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7408831].message }}

Trending Topics