Banner advertising copy ideas?

8 replies
Can anyone share some insight to the copy your using for your sites advertising banners?

Example many use:

Join the #1 largest network of online marketers
Join the #1 fastest growing online network of online marketers

etc.

We cant all use those on our banners because it far from true.

So what can we use to make it enticing to viewers?

I was thinking:

Join the #1 most exclusive network for online marketers. That being said, if you owner a forum with a few hundred members and your banner said:

Join a network of online marketers...... it wouldent sound so good, so what is some creative copy we can use to be inciting without lying. Id appreciate any ideas, thank you!
#advertising #banner #copy #ideas
  • Profile picture of the author GlenH
    I've moved away from the traditional graphic style banners ad, and have moved to a more 'text' based design.

Like the examples you can see here: 170 motley fool ads - Moat Ad Search

These styles of banners really stand out on a page full of graphic banner ads. and I'm super impressed with the results
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8546750].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author marketingg
      Hey i appreciate that, and i agree those look great, but i was looking for some copy ideas not some much style.

Pretend your trying to advertise a forum or a network type of site. If were competing against others who are larger and growing faster i dont tihnk we should use that in our copy but at the same time we need something to be inciting.

The World's #1 Most Exclusive Site for....

does that work?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8548185].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Suzy Berry
      Originally Posted by GlenH View Post

I've moved away from the traditional graphic style banners ad, and have moved to a more 'text' based design.

Like the examples you can see here: 170 motley fool ads - Moat Ad Search

These styles of banners really stand out on a page full of graphic banner ads. and I'm super impressed with the results
      new look at the banners. But it is interesting.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8992186].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
        I've written quite a few banner ads over the years. A shortcut the pros use is to find out what text ads are working best and swipe them for the text portion of the banner ad.

Adbeat.com is another good source for that type of information.

Alex
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8993206].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shawnlebrun
    Let me ask...

Those who you are trying to reach... what is it that you can do for them?

What's their biggest problem you can help them solve, or a solution you can offer
    them that helps them get more of what they want?

I always focus my banners, ads, text links, etc... I try to write to the heart of the BIG problem or the overwhelming desire.

those tend to get noticed more.

You don't get noticed by being generic... you get noticed when you speak directly to the most important things to your target market.

so, when creating banner copy, think of specific problems you can help with.

Narrow it down and try to focus on THE biggest problem areas of your target market... or those things they really want to achieve.

then, create your banner copy around those... and just keep testing out a bunch of different approaches until you find ones that work well.

For example... a banner like "The World's #1 Site for Acne Sufferers" probably won't test as well as "Got Acne? Click here for a Proven 7 Day Cure"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8548401].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author marketingg
    Shawn thats great and i totally agree but to be more specific how would you do this for a site like elance where there are multiple roles?

Example: elance.

Situation:
    a) We need people to Post projects
    b) We need people who can fulfill those projects

So again, how would you attack a banner for a site like this? I currently am targeting bloggers and getting them to display my banners, but prior to doing this so many questions are arising in my head.

Do i make two separate banners or one?
    a) one targeting people to post projects
    b) another targeting the service providers who can fulfill those roles

or

c) Combine both messages into ONE banner just conveying a message that if you are either looking to post a project or you are a provider, THIS is where you want to be? And that is how im coming up with these generic message.

Very confusing and been holding me back, i appreciate the response. Do you see below, two separate marketing messages? Is this how i should approach my situation?

Message toward people who need services provided

and

message toward the actual service provider
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8548818].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RickDuris
    Why reinvent the wheel? Study what's working now with services like:

WhatRunsWhere: WhatRunsWhere: Competitive Intelligence for Advertising in the Digital World | Discover your Competitor's Display and Mobile Advertisements for banner ads

Adzeta.com - Know Your Competitors Campaigns for social media ads.

There are others, but the ones above are reasonably priced.

Trying to be 'original' or 'creative' or 'guess' when there's so much data, is a waste of time. Better to study the market FIRST and then tailor your message accordingly.

Doing it this way, allows you to leverage millions of dollars of other people's ad spend, creativity and testing.

- Rick Duris
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8548846].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rolland67
    You're right RickDuris! Be creative and short is the best way to attract and win. Be to the point and convey in short sentences. A perfect advertising banner should convey messages clearly at the first sight. Lot of details will make it messy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[8992025].message }}

Trending Topics