What To Use To Build A Particular Type Of Site

8 replies
I'm planning to build a particular site, and am looking for suggestions as to what to use to create it. I'm pretty good at working with Wordpress, but to use anything else I'd need to outsource the work.

What I'd like to do is create a site for people to review widgets. The manufacturer of a particular widget will have a page on the site, where he can describe his widget. He can then invite people who have used his widget to log in and add their reviews of his widget. The idea is that he can refer future users of his widget to this site, for them to get honest feedback on the item from people who have already used it.

That's the basic idea, without going into detail about the widget itself. Does that make sense?

I'm thinking at it's most basic form, I could do this with Wordpress and either have the individual widget pages on subdomains, or use wordpress mu. That'd be easy for the manufacturer to log into and add content to.

My expectation is that there will be many manufacturers of widgets looking to have pages on this site, so it needs to be easy to expand, and it also needs to be user friendly to make it simple and convenient for widget users to add their feedback. If it's too difficult for the widget user, then they may not take the time to do so.

I'm just wondering if there's a better way of doing this than using Wordpress. The issue isn't whether or not there's a demand for this type of widget review site, or what the widget is, but more how to best create the type of site I'm after.

Any suggestions very much appreciated.

Thanks

Audrey
#build #site #type
  • Profile picture of the author SoEasyMoney
    I personally love wordpress because it's simple to use, has great plugins, lots of different themes out there. You can also almost always find someone that can help you out if you run into trouble with a widget or something. I've used Trellian webpage to build web pages but find that wordpress is my fav.

I've used Squidoo, and I like squidoos but you are very limited with what you can do. You also lose any money you would make from adsense to squidoo.

Hope that helps.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[832347].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[832351].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author npsol
      Originally Posted by TheRealDomainer View Post

do you build mobile websites as wp blogs or basic html pages?

thanks
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1820394].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Palusko
        Are you looking for just a site builder or a regular CMS on which the site would be coded? Break down of what you need - a system that allows multiple log ins. One for manufacturers and one for reviewers. (uless you want to let anyone to write a review). Manufacture logs in, and needs to have access to his profile and history (widget articles) that he can modify, delete old ones and add new ones. If this is paid subscription, you will need a way to keep track of payments, and send notices. User will also need a way to send mass emails (notifications) and probably track who already received notifications. On top of that, you will need a site robust enough to manage hundreds of pages and some sort of categorization and search options for visitors to find and read about the widgets. You would also, for good measure, probably want to implement some sort of voting system. And I probably forgot plenty of other details.
        No matter what CMS you choose, I don't see how this can be done with an out of the box software and plug ins. At least not without some compromises. My guess is, that you will need to get into the code to make this work you want it to.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[1820447].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Leanne King
    depending on your hosting I'd be thinking about WP MU for this. Alternatively WP org with different permissions and pages for the manufacturers using role manager and role scoper.

Leanne
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[832407].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author edhan
    Wordpress is a good CMS to start with. What you need will be someone to customize your requirements. It comes with huge amount of plugins available online that you can make full use of. It is a great good piece of software for site as well as blogs.
    Signature

Be blessed with Thai Buddha Amulets & Tibetan dZi to accumulate wealth, health & good fortune
    Build your own community business
    Article Directory Source Code with blog & Classified Ads
    Understanding the cycle of Karma & Merits

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[832434].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Audrey Harvey
    Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like sticking with Wordpress will work. I'll look into Wordpress Mu, Leanne, thanks. I didn't think you could monetise WP org, but will check that out too.
    Signature

Expert content written by an experienced veterinarian and published magazine and newspaper writer.
    Feel free to contact me for details.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[833265].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John2Doe
    This could probably be achieved via Joomla as well. I'm pretty sure there's a review module for it that could do what you're talking about, but I'm not sure if it's free or not. The problem is that from what I've seen and heard, Joomla is not as easily mastered as WP so if you're not familiar with it, you might have a decent learning curve to overcome.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[833712].message }}

Trending Topics