Do You Ever Get Jealous?

10 replies
I travel in a crowd of creatives. A lot of us probably do and I was just wondering, do you ever get jealous?

On days like today, when bills pile up and jobs are few and clients are vague and contract terms are dicey AT BEST, I envy my creative friends who can hop on Twitter and sell quick sketches or sung happy birthday wishes, etc for a relatively lowish price to earn some extra "keep the lights on so I can keep doing my thing" cash.

As a writer, this isn't much of an option for me. Not many people are after silly haiku and the work that would go into something larger (a silly sonnet, perhaps?) negates the low price point I'd want to offer for this sort of novelty, just-for-fun item.

And yes I know, build my list, create my own bigger products for passive income, be awesome at what I do, don't be afraid to ask for help. But mainly I'm in a funk and wondering if any of you ever feel a little bit jealous of these friends too? You know, outside of those moments when you're not proud of being wildly successful copy geniuses?

...or does this go on the off topic board?
#jealous
  • Profile picture of the author joe golfer
    You want to stay so busy you can't entertain negative "head trash." Generating lots of sales and income erases plenty of negativity.

Most copywriters are not marketing enough. Even if they are focused on positioning themselves to be contacted by clients first, most are not doing enough to keep a flow of prospects coming in.

I don't know your situation, and I'm sure you work hard. But there's a good chance you are not marketing enough.

Whatever marketing method you use, try doubling or tripling your effort. Set up a system you can maintain even when you get busy. Continue to build and maintain your marketing machine every day.

Keep diversified. I was caught recently when a major client in New Zealand got bought out and completely changed their marketing. I probably had too many eggs in that basket, but in my own defense they were golden eggs.

Don't compare yourself too much with others. Everyone is on their own path.

PS. I'm getting a 404 on your sales page sample.
    Signature
    Marketing is not a battle of products. It is a battle of perceptions.
    - Jack Trout
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9005182].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author alexals1
    I agree with you , I hate comparing myself with other people, some people are lucky than other so , i do not feel jelous from people that may be better than me
    Alexals1
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9005451].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author The Copy Warriors
    I sometimes sort of envy people who can make a living off advertising writing their own blogs (they're few and far between).

I'd like to do that but I just can't come up with ideas for articles on the 2-3 times a week basis you need to write to really get that kind of thing off the ground.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9005961].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author gjabiz
    I'll share this: SPIDOG

Solve Your Problems in the Direction of your Goals

So, my mantra is, Writers write. In between your copy gigs, create some down and dirty, quick and easy and in-demand products you can sell for a long time.

Glenn Livingston made over 100k selling short little reports.

Paulette Ensign does Tips Booklets Tips Business Booklets Small Business Promotion Publicity Paulette Ensign Business Card

Jimmy Krug wrote a small booklet on car loans and made over 100k
    Jimmy Krug's Guide to - Easy Self Publishing To Build Your Author, Publisher Brand.

I've created and SOLD scores of HOTSHEETS over the past 25 years.

Use your time to create these little products and when you have enough of them in circulation, you have a nice little recurring income.

USE your time to invest in your future. More later, got to run, but this gives you some ideas.

gjabiz

Originally Posted by erinwrites View Post

I travel in a crowd of creatives. A lot of us probably do and I was just wondering, do you ever get jealous?

On days like today, when bills pile up and jobs are few and clients are vague and contract terms are dicey AT BEST, I envy my creative friends who can hop on Twitter and sell quick sketches or sung happy birthday wishes, etc for a relatively lowish price to earn some extra "keep the lights on so I can keep doing my thing" cash.

As a writer, this isn't much of an option for me. Not many people are after silly haiku and the work that would go into something larger (a silly sonnet, perhaps?) negates the low price point I'd want to offer for this sort of novelty, just-for-fun item.

And yes I know, build my list, create my own bigger products for passive income, be awesome at what I do, don't be afraid to ask for help. But mainly I'm in a funk and wondering if any of you ever feel a little bit jealous of these friends too? You know, outside of those moments when you're not proud of being wildly successful copy geniuses?

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9006111].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ross Bowring
    When you see someone doing something cool (i.e. making a lot of money) then train yourself to say "Wow, so that's possible!"

So it becomes about the possibilities ahead of you... not negative energy about others who have their act together.

If other people have more gigs, it's because they did the work necessary to get those gigs. You can't complain about not getting the results you didn't put in the work to get.

--- Ross
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9006171].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Claude Whitacre
      Originally Posted by Ross Bowring View Post

When you see someone doing something cool (i.e. making a lot of money) then train yourself to say "Wow, so that's possible!"

So it becomes about the possibilities ahead of you... not negative energy about others who have their act together.

If other people have more gigs, it's because they did the work necessary to get those gigs. You can't complain about not getting the results you didn't put in the work to get.

--- Ross
      That is absolutely the profitable way to think about it.

Originally Posted by BrianMcLeod View Post

Everyone, even if only momentarily, covets what others seem to have.

But the picture is always incomplete, isn't it?
      Years ago, when I was young and stupid, I was driving with friends through a very nice part of town. One of the guys in the car said something about how these rich people must be ripping others off. Another guy said something about how lucky these people were.

I thought about it and said "I wonder what these people know, that we don't?"

People have beautiful lawns because they spend time mowing and taking care of their lawn. And it's the same with copywriting...the same with selling.
      Signature
      One Call Closing book https://www.amazon.com/One-Call-Clos...=1527788418&sr

What if they're not stars? What if they are holes poked in the top of a container so we can breath?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9006408].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raydal
    Originally Posted by erinwrites View Post

Hi Erin,

I'm not sure if I'm as jealous of other creatives as I am of you. I love
    your writing style! Just saying ...

-Ray Edwards
    Signature
    The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9006369].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BrianMcLeod
    Everyone, even if only momentarily, covets what others seem to have.

But the picture is always incomplete, isn't it?

The working stiff wants the rich man's money, power and freedom to live on his own terms.

While that rich man wants the working stiff's loving relationships, family and contentment with simple pleasures.

Social media has amplified the whole phenomenon massively.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9006390].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author erinwrites
    Thanks for all of the support guys. J It was super nice to wake up and see all of these messages! Unfortunately, I haven’t figured out the WF hack (if there is one) that will let me plug my responses in to each message individually so I’ll try to do them all here. Whee!

Joe Golfer: Thanks for the heads up on the 404! I’ll fix that ASAP! And thanks for being sure I work hard—*I* think I do J At the same time I’ve made the majority of my living in a field that is quickly dying/reconfiguring (SEO content writing). I’m working on adapting and, frankly, I like the direction the Google algorithms are taking us but oof. Bills. J I did not adapt quickly enough I think! Oh and PS: I am definitely one of those writers who is TERRIBLE at marketing herself. Even after six years I can’t quite get over the “ick factor” of self-promotion. I’m working on it but it’s slow going.

Alexals1: I’m usually the same way but yesterday things got pile-uppy and frustrating. Thanks for listening! I really appreciate it.

The Copy Warriors: RIGHT?!? Me too. My not-so-secret dream is to be the next Wil Wheaton or Bloggess or Vlogbrothers.

Gjabiz: Thanks for all of the great reference links! I’ll definitely check them out.

Ross Bowring: Definitely a valid point. I’ve been spreading myself thin over two very different types of livelihoods (the one that pays me and the one that I wish paid me) and it really isn’t helping either of them. It’s something I need to figure out/work on.

Raydal: Thanks! That’s always nice to hear!

Brian McLeod: Seriously—I love me some Twitter (maybe too much) but it and the rest do make it difficult to not compare. Most of the time I’m simply happy for friends and I like buying their silly one-off things but sometimes…y’know.

Claude Whitacre: What a great story! Thanks for sharing!

Incidentally—yes, I *do* talk in exclamation points in real life! Thanks again everybody!
    Signature
    I put words on the Internet.
    Silly Haikus starting at $5! PM me for details! (Because it's fun)

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9006581].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BrianMcLeod
    Can someone please hijack/troll this thread so I can feel confident we're all in the right place?

Thanks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9006646].message }}

Trending Topics