Wifi Marketing, what do you think? Anyone doing it successfully?

44 replies
I'm curious if anyone is doing local wifi marketing and having luck with it.
#marketing #successfully #wifi
  • Profile picture of the author Rus Sells
    You know, the truth is this has been on my radar since 2011.

I know a lot about it and have approached some white label vendors about a joint venture but none of them seemed interested.

I believe it would integrate perfectly for my reputation and review management system.

Originally Posted by mobilemarketer2012 View Post

I'm curious if anyone is doing local wifi marketing and having luck with it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9046429].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Rus Sells View Post

I believe it would integrate perfectly for my reputation and review management system.
      Good point Russ. I actually just started looking into it and for other reasons but I can certainly see it working on how you mentioned. A business like a restaurant or salon could offer free wifi. Once the customer accepts the terms then the landing page could be some sort of request to review the business at that time or just before they leave.

I was thinking more of the traditional type of making the landing page consist of ads from other local businesses but I can see how a business would like this option.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9046548].message }}
        What you really want is a blue tooth signal that automatically searches for smart phone in the are that have blue tooth on.

It sends a permission message to the phone about the businesses they are close to. If user accept request then a marketing message that's timely "right now" will be sent to the phone.

You can set it send specific messages based on the time of day it is. For example lunch specials for restaurants between 11-1. So on so forth.

Additionally the system can even track foot traffic paths inside the store so it can be analyzed to see if the space can be better configured so as to increase sales.

Some systems can send signals up to 300 feet. That's a whole football field in length! Think of the coverage in malls, etc.

Originally Posted by mobilemarketer2012 View Post

Good point Russ. I actually just started looking into it and for other reasons but I can certainly see it working on how you mentioned. A business like a restaurant or salon could offer free wifi. Once the customer accepts the terms then the landing page could be some sort of request to review the business at that time or just before they leave.

I was thinking more of the traditional type of making the landing page consist of ads from other local businesses but I can see how a business would like this option.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9046802].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Andrew S
          Originally Posted by Rus Sells View Post

It sends a permission message to the phone about the businesses they are close to. If user accept request then a marketing message that's timely "right now" will be sent to the phone.
          This is genius, I'm surprised I've never seen it @ work in a food court at a mall or something.
          Signature
          Marketer's Center is creating free tools for the SEO community!
          Sick Analytics: Find and fix your worst pages. Entity Explorer: Make your content better with related entities.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9047624].message }}
            Yeah dude, some Airports and large sports stadiums have full coverage from the facility.

A company can install all the blue tooth hot spots throughout the facility so get a full coverage net. Then the vendors get access to it based on whatever agreement is made. = )

Originally Posted by Andrew S View Post

This is genius, I'm surprised I've never seen it @ work in a food court at a mall or something.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9047644].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vndnbrgj
    Its called Bluetooth Proximity Marketing, and last I checked it was around $4,000.
    I'm sure prices have gone down a little over the past couple years.
    A quick search found these guys... Home - Bluevibe Proximity Marketing System, Bluetooth Marketing Software
    It certainly is an interesting idea.
    Signature
    Life Begins At The End Of Your Comfort Zone
    - Neale Donald Wilson -
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9047709].message }}
      One can get a single small business set up and running BPM for less then 500 bucks. = )

The devices firmware allows remote admin access so advertising campaigns can be managed from anywhere in the world which makes a nice feature for doing managed campaign for businesses.

Originally Posted by vndnbrgj View Post

Its called Bluetooth Proximity Marketing, and last I checked it was around $4,000.
      I'm sure prices have gone down a little over the past couple years.
      A quick search found these guys... Home - Bluevibe Proximity Marketing System, Bluetooth Marketing Software
      It certainly is an interesting idea.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9047725].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shane_k
    As a marketer my first thought about BPM is that it is a cool idea.

However, as a consumer my first thought is I never have my bluetooth signal on.

Wifi sure, bluetooth very rarely.

Also, if I were to get an alert on my phone from someone or some company I don't recognize, my first thought would be, "it's a virus do not open." and there is no way I would hit accept.

And about the wi-fi thing, I just can't see someone reading up on a business once they log into a wifi signal. I know I certainly wouldn't.

and sitting here as a consumer reading this, I can't imagine any of my friends, family etc who would either.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9051251].message }}
      Point taken but the fact remains that it's gaining more and more traction here in the United States and it's popular in the EU for some time now.

I remember first hearing about it in 2011.

I do believe if my memory serves me correctly the blue tooth devices also send out a wifi signal as well.

Originally Posted by shane_k View Post

As a marketer my first thought about BPM is that it is a cool idea.

Also, if I were to get an alert on my phone from someone or some company I don't recognize, my first thought would be, "it's a virus do not open." and there is no way I would hit accept.

And about the wi-fi thing, I just can't see someone reading up on a business once they log into a wifi signal. I know I certainly wouldn't.

and sitting here as a consumer reading this, I can't imagine any of my friends, family etc who would either.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9051440].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author LastWarrior
      Originally Posted by shane_k View Post

These are my exact sentiments. I agree.

============================================

Originally Posted by NetMediaGeek View Post

Proximity marketing is good in theory but in reality not that many people have their Bluetooth switched on.

How do you know that not many people have their Bluetooth on? Is there a study somewhere that you can point us to? Curious.
      Just from knowing myself and a few times when the conversation came up when I was talking with someone who had their cell by them, rarely did they have their Bluetooth on at that time. So I don't necessarily need to see a study, only experience a real world example that apparently seems to be a majority than minority at this point. However, if such a study or statistics exist, I'd like to see it.

LastWarrior
      Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9056467].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Richard Tunnah
    This is popular on UK trains that offer free wifi but you need to register first. Got a webpage after registering with a train company last week promoting discounts (via codes) off restaurants in places on the train route. Thought it was clever forward thinking of the train company as I presume they have some sort of JV with the restaurant's.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9052701].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jcaviani
      It's an interesting idea I have considered especially since with the right software users simply logon with a Facebook, Google or similar account, pretty unobtrusive. One of my main concerns has been Comcast and Google. Comcast has WiFi built into their new modems and has been quietly putting in free WiFi hubs all over the place. Maybe this should be a signal of the value of the data one can collect when someone uses YOUR network.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9052828].message }}
      • That's interesting to hear about Comcast but not surprising. Thanks for all the feedback on my thread everyone.

Originally Posted by jcaviani View Post

It's an interesting idea I have considered especially since with the right software users simply logon with a Facebook, Google or similar account, pretty unobtrusive. One of my main concerns has been Comcast and Google. Comcast has WiFi built into their new modems and has been quietly putting in free WiFi hubs all over the place. Maybe this should be a signal of the value of the data one can collect when someone uses YOUR network.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9053757].message }}
      Hey Richard long time no see! Yes the train station is probably charging the vendors for ad space, that's most likely what's happening.

Originally Posted by Richard Tunnah View Post

This is popular on UK trains that offer free wifi but you need to register first. Got a webpage after registering with a train company last week promoting discounts (via codes) off restaurants in places on the train route. Thought it was clever forward thinking of the train company as I presume they have some sort of JV with the restaurant's.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9052873].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TrumpiaTim
    Has anyone actually launched this? If so, please share success stories on how this has worked for you. Thank you!
    Signature

www.Trumpia.com

Trumpia: The Most Completed SMS Text Messaging Software & API Solution.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9054105].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jcaviani
      There are a few under the search term social wifi hotspot - World Wifi Zone | WWZ
      The broader term is proximity marketing. With white labels and resellers, sometimes it's a bit of a challenge figuring out who is supplying whom. If you are going to do such a thing, you'd like to get to the real source rather than some guy who is a reseller of a reseller. However, since most of the hardware is comparable, the real selling point, at least for me, becomes the software. It's all about networks and integration and how easily they can be administered from a central location. The real deal would be a modified software like DD-WRT that could be loaded onto a numbers of routers that can then be networked and administered from a central point. The software probably already exists. To me, an SCCM guy the infrastructure part is all about networks and efficiency.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9055752].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Tony M
    OMG! this is genius! -- Any ideas where to get more info on the subject?
    This is the first for me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9056163].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NetMediaGeek
    Proximity marketing is good in theory but in reality not that many people have their Bluetooth switched on. Having said that I believe Ken Anderson developed a proximity marketing system a while back I'm not sure how he got on with it
    Signature
    I'm looking for a JV Broker in the UK
    If you work with local businesses in the UK and want to increase your income PM me..
    If you are a Lead Generator for Offline Businesses in the UK PM Me..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9056312].message }}
      How do you know that not many people have their Bluetooth on? Is there a study somewhere that you can point us to? Curious.

Originally Posted by NetMediaGeek View Post

Proximity marketing is good in theory but in reality not that many people have their Bluetooth switched on. Having said that I believe Ken Anderson developed a proximity marketing system a while back I'm not sure how he got on with it
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9056324].message }}
    OK so I realize that in our market if you've responded and are in the US like me, I understand the sentiment about something like this.

However consider that in the EU markets this technology has been around for some time and it's making money for businesses.

Also think about a corporation like McDonalds, they are introducing a form of what we are discussing in this thread. They aren't doing it because it's fun, cute, or neat, they are doing it for brand recall or branding.

The have it set up in Piccadilly square in London.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9056562].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wsands
    As far as marketing is concerned, I'm pretty sure WiFi Direct is going to be the technology that replaces bluetooth. I'm not saying bluetooth doesn't have it's place in technology, because it certainly does.

More people are running around with their WiFi activated than their bluetooth. I have hard facts to back this up, I just polled the closest 10 people to me that had smartphones. None of them had their bluetooth activated, all of them had their wifi turned on. You may cite my study if you wish.

In all seriousness though, people get in their routines, and part of that is visiting places that they can connect to the internet via free wifi for various reasons. I know I like to use other peoples wifi because it saves my battery and I get crappy coverage anyways. I have a smartphone because I like to stay connected to the internet and because you can't play angry birds on a flip phone! I'm just not of the opinion that more people use the bluetooth than wifi, based solely on my personal experience.

That being said, I don't think that bluetooth will be the best contact initiator, it's more likely going to be NFC or WiFi Direct, which, after the contact is initiated by one of those, your phone/tablet may then choose to use bluetooth to communicate with whatever device is sending data to you.
    Signature

Hi, I'm wsands and I approve this message.

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9058375].message }}
    Well the big brands aren't doing it for nothing. Red Bull, Coke, Nissan, the list goes on.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9058388].message }}
    Whatever hardware these big brands are using to put this stuff in place, most likely already has the capability to communicate via NFC and WiFI Direct as well.

You could have a wireless proximity device broadcasting a message, that, when you get close enough to the Red Bull in the convenience store, you get a coupon. No customer action required!

OR

When you "Tap" your phone on a Red Bull poster, you get a coupon, or enter a contest etc... (NFC)

These methods actually use the NFC to actually initiate contact with the two devices, then the devices decide which is the best method to communicate (WiFi direct, or Bluetooth), turns it on and communicates.

I'm not trying to build a case against bluetooth, I just don't see it as the first point of contact. This is basically a case of HD DVD vs Bluray.

Asking someone to "turn on your bluetooth" is the same as asking them to "send a text" to get a coupon.

The hardware in most smartphones today supports an interaction with a brand that only requires them to be within a set proximity (eh? eh? See what I did there?) of their brand and they will automatically interact. Without needing a customer action to begin the interaction, the brand will be able to interact with more customers.
    Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9058477].message }}
  • Rus,

I hear what you are saying about Bluetooth and large brands but I have to agree with the others who disagree with you here. There was some discussion about Bluetooth marketing in the mobile marketing section and most said it didn't work because most people, and this group was referring mostly to Americans, don't keep their Bluetooth on. They never got the message. And for those that had it on, they felt that it was invasive. Even if they got a message that asked, "Can abc company send you a coupon?" they had already been messaged without their permission. Most smartphones now have an option that will automatically connect to wifi network if one is available. We know why most people want wifi, either they don't have an unlimited plan, they need it for their tablet or laptop, or the wifi is faster.

When I was asking about wifi marketing, I was thinking about when someone goes into a coffee shop, mall, etc... and wants the wifi. To get it, they accept the terms of service and then they get taken to a landing page with local biz ads on it. You could also require them to type in their email first or text in to get a code for the wifi. These are good list builders for the business (and the marketer) but some people might consider them invasive, I simply don't know. There is a mall by my house managed by General Growth Properties and you have to download their app to get free wifi. Then you get push notifications of upcoming events and deals. Anyway, I think it was interesting when it was posted above that the internet providers are now offering free wifi. Obviously, they see ways to monetize it as well.

Thanks.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9058556].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NewParadigm
      I agree I'm more inclined to seek wifi, and less likely to have bluetooth on and accept some incoming inquiry out of the "blue"

I think the bluetooth/wireless marketing could be good more as an opt in, giving the target an incentive to opt in, similar to text campaigns. The wireless modes might be more desirable than text based because of geographic/proximity. I don't want to be spammed texts from a mall when i'm not at the mall. But if I am there, i may want to get notified of special deals (create real value/scarcity on time constraint)etc... applies to all kinds of geographic scenarios....at work, at the gym(initiates your workout routine app once you arrive) , at the bar (auto login for boy meets girl, or VIP section giveaway etc..)etc.....

the key to successful marketing is getting more granular and specific. delivering information/offers that are relevant(groupon type spams even failed this by not forcing subscribers to choose more specific relevant offer filters), and now WHEN/WHERE a customer wants.
      Signature

In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing. ~ Theodore Roosevelt

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9061419].message }}
  • Yep, when I first started looking into Bluetooth I read where it was good for events like shows. They would put signs up as you walked in saying, "turn on your Bluetooth for great deals and info". Now, it just seems every event has an app and you can you get push notifications of deals, info, etc....
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9061825].message }}
    Every one makes valid points but we'll have to just put this one down as neither side can sway the other.

I think one thing we might agree on here is that the model is valid but the sides are drawn over bluetooth versus wifi.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9063275].message }}

Every one makes valid points but we'll have to just put this one down as neither side can sway the other.

I think one thing we might agree on here is that the model is valid but the sides are drawn over bluetooth versus wifi.

The model is definitely valid. As far as building a list goes these would be fantastic tools. Especially if it were integrated into the social media aspect of things, i.e. like our page, share this post, etc... then you get the deal. At that point each person that walks in and takes that action, they are marketing your company to 100 other people (or more, I have no idea how many friends the average person has on facebook). Plus you get their info and you can re-market to them via whatever your best converting medium is (SMS, email, smoke signal).

It has been my experience that the majority of businesses do not have a list of their customers, some have email and name, but never actually send an email. Their response to this is always "I know I should be emailing them but I just don't have time to put emails together." One guy pulled out a box of little paper slips he had collected over the last 3 years of doing business. There is certainly a need for a better way to collect your customers info and market to them.
      Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9063524].message }}
        Funny how the most basic of online marketing methods, (list building) is overlooked due to not understanding the real value it can bring to a business. Yet they pay big bucks for ad space and maybe even AdWords for a one time shot at getting a new customer.

Originally Posted by wsands View Post

The model is definitely valid. As far as building a list goes these would be fantastic tools. Especially if it were integrated into the social media aspect of things, i.e. like our page, share this post, etc... then you get the deal. At that point each person that walks in and takes that action, they are marketing your company to 100 other people (or more, I have no idea how many friends the average person has on facebook). Plus you get their info and you can re-market to them via whatever your best converting medium is (SMS, email, smoke signal).

It has been my experience that the majority of businesses do not have a list of their customers, some have email and name, but never actually send an email. Their response to this is always "I know I should be emailing them but I just don't have time to put emails together." One guy pulled out a box of little paper slips he had collected over the last 3 years of doing business. There is certainly a need for a better way to collect your customers info and market to them.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9063910].message }}
    Get lost, self promotional post's that don't offer any value to the conversation are against the forum rules.

Honestly if this sort of stuff is going to be allowed on the forums I'm OUT!

Originally Posted by angellenonoy View Post

Thanks for reposting the spam message.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9127889].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Matt Lee
    Hey Russ, I really like the potential with the idea of wireless promotion, but does anyone know what percentage of people have their bluetooth on all the time? I'm one of those guys who never seem to have it on. I don't typically use an earpiece, I like the speakerphone. I guess I use it in the car every once in a while.

I'm wondering am I the exception? Or are there a lot of people like me that don't typically have bluetooth enabled on their phone.
    Signature
    "One of the Most Successful Offline WSO's Ever!
    Get More High $$$ Clients with this Small Business Marketing PLR Magazine
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9128761].message }}
      Matt, I don't have any statistical data. You know me, if I did I'd post it.

Of course adoption always takes time but the systems aren't cost prohibitive which means that it can be leveraged to at least get "some" new customers.

Originally Posted by Matt Lee View Post

Hey Russ, I really like the potential with the idea of wireless promotion, but does anyone know what percentage of people have their bluetooth on all the time? I'm one of those guys who never seem to have it on. I don't typically use an earpiece, I like the speakerphone. I guess I use it in the car every once in a while.

I'm wondering am I the exception? Or are there a lot of people like me that don't typically have bluetooth enabled on their phone.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9130542].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author djalexander
    If you anyone is really interested in local wifi marketing and building out a network checkout this siteLocal Wifi Marketing System

Pretty powerful stuff when you really build up networks of wifi services
    Signature
    Start Your Own Local Mobile Ad Network Agency? Click the Link Below To Start Making MoneyLearn How To Get Your Piece of the Modern Day Gold Rush In Mobile Marketing

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10054636].message }}
      Originally Posted by djalexander View Post

If you anyone is really interested in local wifi marketing and building out a network checkout this siteLocal Wifi Marketing System

Pretty powerful stuff when you really build up networks of wifi services

I'm STILL a big fan of this and think it's a great tool for business owners.

HOWEVER...

I predict that Google will be doing something similar in the near future. By near future I mean within the next few years.

They are already rolling out Project Fi in early stages which allows you to call and text via wifi and switch back to cell towers seamlessly. This is phase one of getting rid of cell towers all together, or re-purposing them to wifi towers.

https://bgr.com/2015/04/22/google-pr...ement-details/

When you combine this with the fiber network, you could potentially say that every google fiber wifi you come in range of would be your connection spot for your cell phone instead of cell towers.

I predict enhanced geo-fence style targeting and access point based wifi marketing. Which will be included in google adwords.

This is right around the corner. Not trying to kill your wifi marketing business plan, I'm sure that you could make some good money over the next few years until Google comes to your town.

On a side note, do you find that offering wifi marketing to brick and mortar businesses for $297 a month to be a difficult sale?

I think that's a bit pricey, but that's just one man's opinion...
      Signature

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10057649].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author djalexander
        That article is about a phone service that is partnering up with Sprint and T-Mobile...Quoted from that article....

"We want to experiment along those lines," Pichai explained at the time. "We don't intend to be a network operator at scale. We are actually working with carrier partners."

So, I don't see Google into the WiFi Operator business as stated..

Your not putting a damper on my plan at all. I have wifi marketing devices already out in the market and doing well. The business model is pretty cool and selling these for $297/mo is pretty easy if you sell the value.

Originally Posted by wsands View Post

I'm STILL a big fan of this and think it's a great tool for business owners.

HOWEVER...

I predict that Google will be doing something similar in the near future. By near future I mean within the next few years.

They are already rolling out Project Fi in early stages which allows you to call and text via wifi and switch back to cell towers seamlessly. This is phase one of getting rid of cell towers all together, or re-purposing them to wifi towers.

https://bgr.com/2015/04/22/google-pr...ement-details/

When you combine this with the fiber network, you could potentially say that every google fiber wifi you come in range of would be your connection spot for your cell phone instead of cell towers.

I predict enhanced geo-fence style targeting and access point based wifi marketing. Which will be included in google adwords.

This is right around the corner. Not trying to kill your wifi marketing business plan, I'm sure that you could make some good money over the next few years until Google comes to your town.

On a side note, do you find that offering wifi marketing to brick and mortar businesses for $297 a month to be a difficult sale?

I think that's a bit pricey, but that's just one man's opinion...
        Signature
        Start Your Own Local Mobile Ad Network Agency? Click the Link Below To Start Making MoneyLearn How To Get Your Piece of the Modern Day Gold Rush In Mobile Marketing

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10057860].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author manthony
      djalexander,
      I was curious as how your social WiFi business is doing since your post.
      I'm am seriously looking into launching this as part of my business.
      Any thoughts and info would be helpful.

Thanks!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10263905].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author OracleVentures
        Originally Posted by manthony View Post

djalexander,
        I was curious as how your social WiFi business is doing since your post.
        I'm am seriously looking into launching this as part of my business.
        Any thoughts and info would be helpful.

Thanks!
        I am also very interested in this. Can someone shed some light on the topic?

Thanks
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10298473].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Sonomamike
          I looked into it about a year ago...and it's not a bad idea. The problem? While it can be an ongoing revenue stream It's not a high ticket sale. So busting your tail for 50 bucks per month per location is not something I'd be wanting to do. If you've got an existing customer base and want to plug it in as part of your menu of services, then it makes sense. Otherwise it's too much of a hustle for too little return.

I don't know about you but I'm not interested in holding the hands of the hundreds of small business customers I'd need to make this work as a business.

Oh and BTW...this little company is doing it too

https://www.facebook.com/business/a/.../businessowner
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10298849].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author clg21
            FB is now starting to get into the Jobs Board market. It is now allowing companies with FB Fan Pages to create job listings... I know this because I developed a local jobs app for a client, then found out about this after the fact - https://www.facebook.com/jobs

Originally Posted by Sonomamike View Post

I looked into it about a year ago...and it's not a bad idea. The problem? While it can be an ongoing revenue stream It's not a high ticket sale. So busting your tail for 50 bucks per month per location is not something I'd be wanting to do. If you've got an existing customer base and want to plug it in as part of your menu of services, then it makes sense. Otherwise it's too much of a hustle for too little return.

I don't know about you but I'm not interested in holding the hands of the hundreds of small business customers I'd need to make this work as a business.

Oh and BTW...this little company is doing it too

https://www.facebook.com/business/a/.../businessowner
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11031417].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AleksanderSuave
    if you targeted fitness centers/gyms as niches, you could do well with bluetooth marketing.

the one location that likely sees more bluetooth activity than anywhere else is a fitness center/gym.

bluetooth headphones are becoming the preferred listening method, and have been growing reasonably well over the last 5 years.

Also. Bluetooth has already become the standard for in-car wireless. As more "older" vehicles phase out the auxilliary ports, bluetooth will continue to become more and more standard for hands-free vehicle phone operation. in-vehicle wifi is limited right now, and I dont see it being as successful, since its a subscription based service. bluetooth on the other hand, in vehicle infotainment systems, is quickly becoming a "must-have", especially as states change their cell phone use laws in regards to driving.

in the next 3-5 years, as you see more and more vehicles adapt bluetooth handsfree as a standard option, you will also see the occurrence of people's bluetooth being on by default a lot more often. Bluetooth is also in a strange situational arena. There are gadgets that are being built around it that compete with wifi, like bluetooth locks, bluetooth home speakers, etc.

There are specific apps that are used to manage bluetooth on/off based on location for the above reason. What it will ultimately come down to more than anything is which of the technologies is able to work with a lower rate of battery consumption.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10061513].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NewParadigm
    I'd approach it more as a service and/or getting in on the ad side. recurring revenue vs. a one time sale.

Malls might be receptive and put some marketing efforts behind customer awareness/education, to compete for retailers and add value for their tenants.

Other approaches would be more towards adding value for customers/retention. Perhaps in a gym, using the technology to deliver a workout program via bluetooth. Virtual training. All I have to do is show up to the gym. I get my canned or customized program delivered to me via bluetooth or wifi on my phone or audio to headphones. That'd be pretty slick.

Instead of thinking of bombarding people w/ intrusive pitches, add value to their lives.

A restaurant could use it as a table paging service.
    Signature

In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing. ~ Theodore Roosevelt

{{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10299613].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author wondercoder
    I have never tried it but I would definitely would love to give it a try as per ideas shared by the experts here and will share my experience
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10300408].message }}

Trending Topics