Five Google Ads mistakes to avoid

by WF- Enzo Administrator
14 replies



Not removing the "Unknown" category from Age, Gender, and Household Income

One of the most baffling experiences with Google Ads is paying for, well, bot visits to your site. And no, bots do not buy products despite recent advances in AI. Any bot visiting your site is wasted ad spend. However, you can mitigate and filter bot traffic.

Remove the "Unknown" category from Age, Gender, and Income as bots unlike have recorded demographic information.

Not making websites mobile-friendly

It's 2020, so it's expected that all websites are mobile-friendly and mobile-optimized. We all know this, as 60% of campaigns run on mobile. It's basic common sense - if a website isn't mobile-optimized, do not expect good traffic at all.

Not adjusting locations in Google Ads

Geographically targeting your campaigns will make sure you reach your intended audience. Don't use default locations, as it might direct traffic from places with low purchasing power or those with no intent to buy or make action at all. You might also wanna research regions based on cost per click.

Not using responsive search ads

Responsive search ads are a quantum leap in ad technology because all you have to do is just paste the copy, and let Google do the rest. The caveat to this is you must fill in every headline and description for Google to have enough data.

Not sub-grouping keywords, landing pages, and ads

Always, always customize your keywords, landing pages, and ads. It's a common mistake for many marketers to just use a single group of keywords, with just one landing page, and one ad across all campaigns. There's no diversity, no way to make ads and keywords relevant to a specific individual. You could check your Quality Score to know the quality of your keywords and ads.
#ads #avoid #google #mistakes
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Eva11
    What great guidance. These five points are amazing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11570461].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author petermei
    Awesome! Thanks for these, gonna put them to good use
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11570491].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author luciesmazanska
    Originally Posted by WF- Enzo View Post




    Not removing the "Unknown" category from Age, Gender, and Household Income

    One of the most baffling experiences with Google Ads is paying for, well, bot visits to your site. And no, bots do not buy products despite recent advances in AI. Any bot visiting your site is wasted ad spend. However, you can mitigate and filter bot traffic.

    Remove the "Unknown" category from Age, Gender, and Income as bots unlike have recorded demographic information.

    Not making websites mobile-friendly

    It's 2020, so it's expected that all websites are mobile-friendly and mobile-optimized. We all know this, as 60% of campaigns run on mobile. It's basic common sense - if a website isn't mobile-optimized, do not expect good traffic at all.

    Not adjusting locations in Google Ads

    Geographically targeting your campaigns will make sure you reach your intended audience. Don't use default locations, as it might direct traffic from places with low purchasing power or those with no intent to buy or make action at all. You might also wanna research regions based on cost per click.

    Not using responsive search ads

    Responsive search ads are a quantum leap in ad technology because all you have to do is just paste the copy, and let Google do the rest. The caveat to this is you must fill in every headline and description for Google to have enough data.

    Not sub-grouping keywords, landing pages, and ads

    Always, always customize your keywords, landing pages, and ads. It's a common mistake for many marketers to just use a single group of keywords, with just one landing page, and one ad across all campaigns. There's no diversity, no way to make ads and keywords relevant to a specific individual. You could check your Quality Score to know the quality of your keywords and ads.
    those are great tips, thank you
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11570517].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DomMitton
    I see everyone talking about making your website mobile-friendly, I'm honestly surprised there are still people who have a website look from the 90s...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11570575].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wentzco
      Originally Posted by DomMitton View Post

      I see everyone talking about making your website mobile-friendly, I'm honestly surprised there are still people who have a website look from the 90s...

      Well slap me with a floppy disk! Are you saying I should update my site that I created with Microsoft FrontPage 1998.

      LOL - I've been to lazy to ever update that one. I just visited it now & went blind for a few minutes. The links of the clickbank merchants listed are no longer active... which probably occurred a couple decades ago.

      Irony as well as the domain name is Vintage______ .com
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11570618].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WF- Enzo
        Administrator
        Microsoft FrontPage! I'm bummed that Microsoft ended support for it.

        Originally Posted by wentzco View Post

        Well slap me with a floppy disk! Are you saying I should update my site that I created with Microsoft FrontPage 1998.

        LOL - I've been to lazy to ever update that one. I just visited it now & went blind for a few minutes. The links of the clickbank merchants listed are no longer active... which probably occurred a couple decades ago.

        Irony as well as the domain name is Vintage______ .com
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11570963].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dannyyoungwealth
    Thanks really insightful, I will apply them to my social media marketing too
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11570606].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Social Monkey
    great guidance i love it
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11570981].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Md somrat
    it's really a great idea -- give you four points
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11570992].message }}
  • Thats a pretty usefull thing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11571091].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author anish manoj
    Choosing Wrong Audience For Display
    Choosing Wrong Keyword
    Running Ads without proper Keyword Match Type
    Running Ads without optimizing the landing page
    Generating Ads without proper language
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11571520].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Michael lyam
    6) Not clearly defining titles and description.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11571706].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author grandhi26
    Adding Negative keywords in a campaign and choosing phrase match keywords instead of exact match keywords
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11571906].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Aloednut
    Awesome thanks for this great corrections
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11573096].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics