Rookie starting out - help requested

21 replies
Greetings everyone

I'm a newbie who just arrived here, by recommendation of a guy on an exclusive forum I'm a member of.

I have read a bit about CPA and have a couple of methods up my sleeve to work these things. However it doesn't seem that any of the CPA networks want to accept me, without showing some sort of website, or partially advanced knowledge on websiting, traffic gathering, and so on.

So I'm trying to get into this sort of networking, however I possess absolutely no programming knowledge, nor experience with setting up websites, how to use widget, ad's, banners, and so on. However I am a resourceful kid (if you can call a 20 year old a kid :p), i have always been "street-smart" when it comes to information gathering, and learning a programming language, and how to setting up a website, shouldn't be the hard part for me, as I have various ways of aquiring the needed training and programs.

However I also know that while finding ways to learn the above, it is critical that I have an idea as to why I'm learning it, or said in another way, have an idea for a website to actually utilize the skills I'm learning.

So as the guy on the other forum said, I have come here to hear of any of you guys could help me with a basic idea on what sort of website to start with. Some basic information of the other suggests, such as how widget work, banners, and ads, would also be appreciated, just to get an idea of the logic behind it (except of that, the people paying you, is doing cause you get traffic to their site/program/survey/whatever, on put in another way, is marketing for them).

I have been looking about this forum for the last few hours, and I definitly like what I'm saying, people here really know their craft, but for a rookie like me, it can be overwhelming without some reference points.

Thanks and advance, and regards

Sokar408
#advice #guy #needing #requested #rookie #start #starting
  • Profile picture of the author amo992
    Hullo Sokar408,

    I suggest you spy on other marketers' sites. A simple site includes WP with a few pages and designs. Depending on whether you are getting free, paid, or both, your site should include various attributes which are far too intricate for me to expand upon at the moment.

    Personally, I believe everyone should start with SEO, simply because SEO = traffic. Since you are working on a website, I suggest you find a WSO specifically about websites. You also mentioned that you are inclined to work toward an end goal. Perhaps now would be the time to learn how to perform keyword research as well and find a niche that you would like to work with. Then, you can use your aforementioned 'street smarts' to meet the end goal of a well made site for your specific niche.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2821124].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sokar408
    Didn't really help me, but i'll definitely look into SEO as one of the first things
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2821934].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kenster
    Hi Sokar,

    As for a web site, I would go with a wordpress lander. They are super simple to do and you can probably find everything you need at Youtube! My bet is if you work one day this weekend on wordpress alone, you can build a pretty sick site! Its pretty simple...but here are the basic steps...

    1. buy domain and hosting
    2. install wordpress which for some hosts is literally a click of a few buttons
    3. upload a theme (free or paid)
    4 start moving with things and playing with things to get the hang of it

    Then after getting the basics down, then just start building a nice lander or marketing company web site (if you are a company) and voila!

    Get an email adress that is email@yourdomain.com , come up with an overall strategy on how to promote, and then apply and you should be golden.

    There are hundreds of networks out there so apply to a handful and see where you get!!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2822327].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author williamrs
    Actually, you don't need to learn a programming language or any advanced technical stuff.

    You can just build a personal site or blog (use Wordpress, which is very easy to install and manage, YouTube has all the info that you need) and use it to apply to networks.

    Also, if you already have a plan/strategy to drive traffic to CPA offers try to talk about it when calling the affiliate managers (do it after submitting your application) and show that you are serious about internet marketing. Many networks will accept you even if you don't have a lot of experience as long as you show them that you are a serious person and don't intend to use any illegal methods to promote their offers.


    William
    Signature
    Steal My Profit Strategy



    >> Download Now <<
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2822826].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Kenster
      Originally Posted by williamrs View Post

      Actually, you don't need to learn a programming language or any advanced technical stuff.

      You can just build a personal site or blog (use Wordpress, which is very easy to install and manage, YouTube has all the info that you need) and use it to apply to networks.

      Also, if you already have a plan/strategy to drive traffic to CPA offers try to talk about it when calling the affiliate managers (do it after submitting your application) and show that you are serious about internet marketing. Many networks will accept you even if you don't have a lot of experience as long as you show them that you are a serious person and don't intend to use any illegal methods to promote their offers.


      William


      Williams right (like always :p)!

      I am a technical numskull. The little bit you really need to know comes naturally over time. And if there is something technically challenging like programming or something, you can outsource or find a partner that isn't a technical numskull...that's what I do!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2824100].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Millerking
    You are not alone, similar with me, maybe we could help each other.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2824273].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sokar408
      Originally Posted by Millerking View Post

      You are not alone, similar with me, maybe we could help each other.
      Two heads are always better then one, so I'm open to it. I'd PM you, but I need to make more posts on the forum before thats possible, so this thread will have to do for communication between us.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2824597].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author badboy_Nick
    Hey

    Get a professional looking website (media agency) with a phone number on it (You can buy these off Skype easily). Fill out their form and then call em up. That will get you approved.

    However, most public networks suck as the margins are WAY too low, you want to strike up direct deals with merchants ... that way, you circumvent the silly CPA networks and get a much higher payout, allowing you to drive out the competition. Now THAT is what's called stacking the deck in your favour

    Any questions just let me know
    Nick
    Signature
    Read my incredible story: www.affiliatechamp.co.uk
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2824687].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sokar408
      Originally Posted by badboy_Nick View Post

      Hey

      Get a professional looking website (media agency) with a phone number on it (You can buy these off Skype easily). Fill out their form and then call em up. That will get you approved.

      However, most public networks suck as the margins are WAY too low, you want to strike up direct deals with merchants ... that way, you circumvent the silly CPA networks and get a much higher payout, allowing you to drive out the competition. Now THAT is what's called stacking the deck in your favour

      Any questions just let me know
      Nick
      While I understand the sense in that, wouldn't this require that I knew how to setup my own widget coding, and know what kind of "mechants" to contact? In other words, wouldn't this be more for people who actually knows what they are doing in the first place?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2824752].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author badboy_Nick
        Originally Posted by Sokar408 View Post

        wouldn't this be more for people who actually knows what they are doing in the first place?
        Fake it till you make it.

        They wont know the difference. Just create your own micro-site that looks like an agency, doesnt need to be a big website. Then just B.S. your way thru. You will be surprised how much can be achieved if you APPEAR to be bigger than you really are.

        Before I was a super affiliate I would tell ALL networks I was a high volume driver ... and because I know people are greedy they would buy everything I told em. Just gotta know how to talk the talk my man

        Nick
        Signature
        Read my incredible story: www.affiliatechamp.co.uk
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2824803].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Sokar408
          Originally Posted by badboy_Nick View Post

          Fake it till you make it.

          They wont know the difference. Just create your own micro-site that looks like an agency, doesnt need to be a big website. Then just B.S. your way thru. You will be surprised how much can be achieved if you APPEAR to be bigger than you really are.

          Before I was a super affiliate I would tell ALL networks I was a high volume driver ... and because I know people are greedy they would buy everything I told em. Just gotta know how to talk the talk my man

          Nick
          I have been told I'm a smooth talker. However i was thinking more along the lines of the technical parts, you know like how to setup ads, content blocking, so on and so further. I could imagine it being easy when people like CPAlead provide you with the coding, but if you are to it yourself, don't you need to understand php for example, and write you own coding?

          Or am I just being a complete newbie here?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2824846].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author badboy_Nick
            Originally Posted by Sokar408 View Post

            I have been told I'm a smooth talker. However i was thinking more along the lines of the technical parts, you know like how to setup ads, content blocking, so on and so further. I could imagine it being easy when people like CPAlead provide you with the coding, but if you are to it yourself, don't you need to understand php for example, and write you own coding?

            Or am I just being a complete newbie here?
            I always design my own sites, otherwise go to elance.com and hire a webdesigner, they are quite cheap there. That will get you there fastest

            Nick
            Signature
            Read my incredible story: www.affiliatechamp.co.uk
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2824876].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Joel_Cowen
    If you're looking for some cool wordpress designs this is the place to find them. I would also recommend doing what amo992 suggested, a great way to start is to see what others are doing.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2824897].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sokar408
      Originally Posted by Joel_Cowen View Post

      If you're looking for some cool wordpress designs this is the place to find them. I would also recommend doing what amo992 suggested, a great way to start is to see what others are doing.
      I'd love to, maybe you could show me a site to "spy" on?

      Also I was wondering. A lot of goes who are promoting stuff, that I know off, usually build different sites for each product. Why is it, assuming that it is, an advantage to make many small sites, and stead of a hub kinda site? by that I mean making one big site with all the products you promote. Obvious divided into areas and not making it completely obvious they are all on the same site, but keeping it under the same address, with different areas on it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2825122].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author krankxl
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2827396].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sokar408
      I have been doing a lot of research, and it seems like it isn't as easy as its made up to be. The way I figure it, I need to be able to generate traffic, before thinking about making worthwhile content.

      I'm slowly getting a grasp of how to rank in the search engines, however there is one thing that bothers me. Supposably backlinks are very important when it comes to ranking, however a lot of pages has thousands to millions of backlinks. However get a rook ever compete with that?

      If anyone has some advice on backlinking, I'd appreciate it.

      So far thanks for all the comments, they have pointed me in the right directions
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2830838].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author jimtow
        Hi Sokar,You are learning fast. Baklinks are the key to SEO.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2830853].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Sokar408
          Originally Posted by jimtow View Post

          Hi Sokar,You are learning fast. Baklinks are the key to SEO.
          Yes i realize this. The termonology of this business is still a little shady and I don't understand all of it.

          However if I understand backlinks correctly, it makes links from OTHER sites that lead one specific part of my site. I might be a little closed minded, but sort of going around randomly on the web, spamming links myself, i don't really see how to achieve this. Also I realize that quality links, most mean that spamming forums at random, isn't gonna work. So I'd have to go around the web and find reasons to tell people they should come to this site.

          With A LOT of work, I could maybe make myself 100 good links a day? Thats not even gonna get me started.

          There must be more to this.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2830880].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rcnsmith
    Im more the person that reads a lot of this information, now converting and beginning to apply it so i'll share my understanding with you and the pro's here can feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

    Lets look at that 100 links in detail. You create a blog, and you are writing great articles about your topic. While doing that you are advertising a product on the site. (look into PLR and MRR for products you can buy and even claim as your own/ edit as you see fit etc). Now you go to the web and you find forums or sites or whatever that is in your niche and not spam it but tell people about what your site is about etc. "Great Tips to train your mutt" just a topic im throwing out there. From there you make the link back to your site, people get interested and check it out.

    Looking on that 100 it doesnt seem like enough, but lets say 10 people from each of those 100 links you made come to your site (May be a whole lot more).. and they love your articles, so much that they decide that they want to use the article in one of their own blogs and of course link back to you to give you credit. See now the links are growing themselves, your 100 is beginning to turn over. If they use multiple articles and link them all back to you as they use them the links grow even more. Your 100 backlink a day can turn into thousands.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2830920].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Sokar408
      Originally Posted by rcnsmith View Post

      Im more the person that reads a lot of this information, now converting and beginning to apply it so i'll share my understanding with you and the pro's here can feel free to correct me if i'm wrong.

      Lets look at that 100 links in detail. You create a blog, and you are writing great articles about your topic. While doing that you are advertising a product on the site. (look into PLR and MRR for products you can buy and even claim as your own/ edit as you see fit etc). Now you go to the web and you find forums or sites or whatever that is in your niche and not spam it but tell people about what your site is about etc. "Great Tips to train your mutt" just a topic im throwing out there. From there you make the link back to your site, people get interested and check it out.

      Looking on that 100 it doesnt seem like enough, but lets say 10 people from each of those 100 links you made come to your site (May be a whole lot more).. and they love your articles, so much that they decide that they want to use the article in one of their own blogs and of course link back to you to give you credit. See now the links are growing themselves, your 100 is beginning to turn over. If they use multiple articles and link them all back to you as they use them the links grow even more. Your 100 backlink a day can turn into thousands.
      I see your logic, however this does seem wherther limited, and this is assuming that the people using my articles will actually put up links back to me. I'm not saying that wouldn't do it cause they are a-holes, but some might not really think about it. However this is at least one way, and I thank you for helping me gain knowledge

      Btw.. PLR and MMR? (sorry, I'm still not down with all the termonology)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2831245].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Boolade
    really i think the best thing you have to do is pick a market, pick a couple offers in that market(make them different types) and then test test test and PROFITTT
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2831206].message }}

Trending Topics