FaceBook PPC bidding (Why So Expensive)

by Becker13 Banned
18 replies
Hey what is up,

I really want to start bring ppc traffic from fb over to a few of my CPA offers. The problem is the suggested bids are outrageous (like 1.20-10,00 for a and ad that has a 10 cent CPC with adwords. )

I keep hearing about people getting 1 cent clicks etc. How much do you guys bid on fb, is the suggest bid accurate?

(I know this is not the PPC forum , but the SEO/PPC board does not give good CPA answers often)
#bidding #expensive #facebook #ppc
  • Profile picture of the author holibyte
    I can't speak for others but I have always found the FB bid suggester outrageous. The quality for FB clicks is so much lower than a normal PPC engine (at least for direct sales) yet the prices can be much higher...at least what's suggested.

    Personally I've always just thrown in the minimum bid ...not what was suggested but the lowest FB will allow at all. I almost always complete my campaign without issue.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4591940].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Harlan
      The penny clicks you hear about are usually:

      1. bringing people to internal FB pages.

      2. People using CPM bids on extremely optimized ads and landing pages.
      Signature

      Harlan D. Kilstein Ed.D.
      Free NLP Communications Course at http://www.nlpcopywriting.com
      http://overnight-copy.com
      Get Fit In Four Minuteshttp://just4minutes.com
      Learn how to build a Super Site Without SEO http://supersiteformula.com

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4591955].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BlisteringROI
        .01 cent clicks are in Mexico. They love to click down there, but very low conversion rates. You will have to spend money to optimize your ads to a very high ctr to get it dropped into the teens or single digits. Or just jump right into CPM if you have faith in your ads.

        Is it your own offer? have you tried outside of US?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4592120].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author imback
    Yea Facebook is getting hard, but internal traffic is still good and good ole research and ad copies help.


    CHAD
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4592274].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author zeroday
    I personally haven't had too much success with facebook, Everytime I used them I only made about a 1% profit which is terrible, but then again, I have never been too good with PPC. I know others that have got 25-50% profit.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4593061].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisBa
    Originally Posted by Becker13 View Post

    Hey what is up,

    I really want to start bring ppc traffic from fb over to a few of my CPA offers. The problem is the suggested bids are outrageous (like 1.20-10,00 for a and ad that has a 10 cent CPC with adwords. )

    I keep hearing about people getting 1 cent clicks etc. How much do you guys bid on fb, is the suggest bid accurate?

    (I know this is not the PPC forum , but the SEO/PPC board does not give good CPA answers often)
    Facebook has gotten very saturated, are you trying US or international traffic?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4595078].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author manzippo
    FB always with good young traffic but their bidding system sometimes made the bid a little bit higher that expected.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4595355].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jmillertopad
    What is international CPC traffic going for on FB? And what some of the good filters people are using? I just started a campaign and am looking to get good traffic.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4597683].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author imback
      Originally Posted by jmillertopad View Post

      What is international CPC traffic going for on FB? And what some of the good filters people are using? I just started a campaign and am looking to get good traffic.

      International traffic is cheaper and just as good


      CHAD
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4597858].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jmillertopad
    Any tips on the filters I should use? Running a biz opp right now.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4597864].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author imback
      Originally Posted by jmillertopad View Post

      Any tips on the filters I should use? Running a biz opp right now.

      Need more information than that to give you anything of value. Is the offer targeting women or men, age group, US or International, etc.


      CHAD
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4597872].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jmillertopad
    I'm targeting international and both men and women. Not really age specific. I was just wondering if anyone had used FB to advertise a biz opp and what filters they found to be successful with an international audience, including an age range. I know a lot of this has to do with my creative and copy, but any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4598000].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sith005
      FB is still very viable, the problem is a lot of people go in see high bids, or try a campaign or two with less than satisfactory results and give up calling it 'dead,' 'saturated,' 'too expensive,' etc.

      It's not as easy to jump in and get few cent clicks as it might have been 1-2 years ago. That being said, as some have mentioned, most penny clicks in the US are due to links to FB fan pages, etc, as well as utilizing CPM in some cases. In most cases these are targeting very passionate groups who will be clicking a lot. In the US, you will want to see .8%+ for anything in the low cent range in many cases. Abroad it's a bit easier as the competition is less.

      That being said, you need to be targeting the right things here, and there are different approaches for these things. If you are pushing CPA offers, keep in mind that if you want to keep with the spirit of FB (i.e. free, games, social, etc).

      You CANNOT approach FB campaigns as you would a PPC search campaign. If you do you certainly will see less 'quality' traffic than you're used to, but it's a completely different game there.

      Also, newer accounts with less history may cause you to see higher suggested bids. Get a couple of campaigns with traffic running and you'll stop seeing those absurd $5.00+ suggested bids. I never see anything above mid $2's or so on the known expensive groups and again the bids are something to take with a grain of salt.

      In any case, I know for a fact you can get single digit clicks with CPC in the US with the right targeting and such. It's not so easy as it once was, but it's still doable with work and testing.
      Signature
      PPC-Coach Helped Me Become PROFITIBLE
      Find Out How Here!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4608542].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author imback
        This is a much better response! Good post!


        CHAD

        Originally Posted by sith005 View Post

        FB is still very viable, the problem is a lot of people go in see high bids, or try a campaign or two with less than satisfactory results and give up calling it 'dead,' 'saturated,' 'too expensive,' etc.

        It's not as easy to jump in and get few cent clicks as it might have been 1-2 years ago. That being said, as some have mentioned, most penny clicks in the US are due to links to FB fan pages, etc, as well as utilizing CPM in some cases. In most cases these are targeting very passionate groups who will be clicking a lot. In the US, you will want to see .8%+ for anything in the low cent range in many cases. Abroad it's a bit easier as the competition is less.

        That being said, you need to be targeting the right things here, and there are different approaches for these things. If you are pushing CPA offers, keep in mind that if you want to keep with the spirit of FB (i.e. free, games, social, etc).

        You CANNOT approach FB campaigns as you would a PPC search campaign. If you do you certainly will see less 'quality' traffic than you're used to, but it's a completely different game there.

        Also, newer accounts with less history may cause you to see higher suggested bids. Get a couple of campaigns with traffic running and you'll stop seeing those absurd $5.00+ suggested bids. I never see anything above mid $2's or so on the known expensive groups and again the bids are something to take with a grain of salt.

        In any case, I know for a fact you can get single digit clicks with CPC in the US with the right targeting and such. It's not so easy as it once was, but it's still doable with work and testing.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4608744].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author sith005
          Thanks Chad, I just want to make it clear that FB is still viable. Hell people have been beaten down by Adwords forever at this point but that's still viable as well.

          You have to consider that thousands and thousands of people are bidding on FB ads traffic. Look at the ads you see on a daily basis. You need to approach it with some thought. Do the research on your targeting and pair it with the right offer, and FB can take you from zero to hero quite quickly. Testing really is the name of the game.

          In any case, as Chad mentioned a few posts back, the more info you provide, the more useable help we can give back.
          Signature
          PPC-Coach Helped Me Become PROFITIBLE
          Find Out How Here!
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4608821].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author imback
            That is very true. Being creative can go a long way in everything you do

            CHAD


            Originally Posted by sith005 View Post

            Thanks Chad, I just want to make it clear that FB is still viable. Hell people have been beaten down by Adwords forever at this point but that's still viable as well.

            You have to consider that thousands and thousands of people are bidding on FB ads traffic. Look at the ads you see on a daily basis. You need to approach it with some thought. Do the research on your targeting and pair it with the right offer, and FB can take you from zero to hero quite quickly. Testing really is the name of the game.

            In any case, as Chad mentioned a few posts back, the more info you provide, the more useable help we can give back.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4608850].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PPC-Coach
    Penny clicks and even free clicks are possible and happen daily on Facebook. But as mentioned above it is not CPC campaigns going to external pages that do it. Facebook is an online hangout. People do not want to leave their hangout, all their buddies and friends are there. To try to take them to some external place that they know nothing about is not easy. They want to stay where the "party" is at.

    Knowing that, give them what they want. Then find something they're passionate about. Something that they'd almost get into a fist fight over is best. Provide them with a hangout where others share their passion. Monetize that hangout and "Bob's your uncle" so to speak.

    That's the mindset side of it, now you just have to do the technical side and you're going to do very well with FB ads.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4608925].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author imback
      LOL another great way to do it. I usually direct link to my FB Fan Pages nowadays. I get to keep touch with my users and hopefully convert them over to my list.


      CHAD

      Originally Posted by PPC-Coach View Post

      Penny clicks and even free clicks are possible and happen daily on Facebook. But as mentioned above it is not CPC campaigns going to external pages that do it. Facebook is an online hangout. People do not want to leave their hangout, all their buddies and friends are there. To try to take them to some external place that they know nothing about is not easy. They want to stay where the "party" is at.

      Knowing that, give them what they want. Then find something they're passionate about. Something that they'd almost get into a fist fight over is best. Provide them with a hangout where others share their passion. Monetize that hangout and "Bob's your uncle" so to speak.

      That's the mindset side of it, now you just have to do the technical side and you're going to do very well with FB ads.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4609010].message }}

Trending Topics