google adwords destination url problem

by lazavas 19 replies
hi guys

i started a campaign recently in adwords

i have the url i registered as main url and the affiliate link as destination url but the problem im having is adwords wont let me do that, and i cant figure out why?

my main url is a .info url, i have tried having both main url and destination url as my aff link but still no luck, can anyone help me out?

thanks
#ad networks (cpm/cpl, display) #adwords
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author lazavas
    anyone can help?

    thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[461371].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author businessmentor
    Check if the links are working. Copy and paste it to your browser's address URL and try. If not, fix it.

    Display URL -> give the name of the domain where visitors will end up.
    Destination URL -> provide your affiliate link.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[461414].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lazavas
      Originally Posted by businessmentor View Post

      Check if the links are working. Copy and paste it to your browser's address URL and try. If not, fix it.

      Display URL -> give the name of the domain where visitors will end up.
      Destination URL -> provide your affiliate link.
      hey thanks for that

      thats exactly what i have done, but it wont allow me to do it

      says that they are different urls, my domain is .info whereas my destination is .com

      is this normal?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[461986].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Srikanth D
        There have been recent changes in adwords display URL policy. The display domain and the page that the visitors are going to land up(after re-directs if any) should be the same.
        Say your destionation URL is xy.com and it redirects to abc.com then your display URL should be abc.com

        That's jsut my understanding of it..
        Signature
        >> Getting back into IM game <<
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[462006].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Stangracer
    Originally Posted by lazavas View Post

    hi guys

    i started a campaign recently in adwords

    i have the url i registered as main url and the affiliate link as destination url but the problem im having is adwords wont let me do that, and i cant figure out why?

    my main url is a .info url, i have tried having both main url and destination url as my aff link but still no luck, can anyone help me out?

    thanks
    What are you doing with the .info you registered?

    Is that your landing page? Your Destination?

    If so you shouldn't need your affiliate link in your adwords campaign at all.

    You would put for your Display: yourdomain.info/landingpage.html

    For your destination you would put the same: yourdomain.info/landingpage.html

    Basically what Google is saying is that you can't have a different display url then the page you send your visitors too.

    So you can't put your .info domain as display and the affiliate link as destination.

    I hope this helps...
    Signature
    [WSO] Easy WordPress Blog Setup Security Built-in from the Start
    [WSO] Ad Trackr Code Manager (WP Plug-in) - Easily Setup Ad Tracking on Your WP Blogs...
    Ask Your Ad Tracking Questions or Prosper202 Questions - Get a Quick Response

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[462005].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lazavas
      Originally Posted by Stangracer View Post

      What are you doing with the .info you registered?

      Is that your landing page? Your Destination?

      If so you shouldn't need your affiliate link in your adwords campaign at all.

      You would put for your Display: yourdomain.info/landingpage.html

      For your destination you would put the same: yourdomain.info/landingpage.html

      Basically what Google is saying is that you can't have a different display url then the page you send your visitors too.

      So you can't put your .info domain as display and the affiliate link as destination.

      I hope this helps...
      yes that does make sense, maybe i should have mentioned that the url i have re directs to my affiliate link, sorry i forgot to mention that, any way around that?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[462051].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Stangracer
        Originally Posted by lazavas View Post

        yes that does make sense, maybe i should have mentioned that the url i have re directs to my affiliate link, sorry i forgot to mention that, any way around that?

        Ok... So if you surf to your affiliate link, put it in the browser and hit return... Once you get to your affiliate sales page, that URL in your browser is your Display URL, make sure you don't add any of the hoplink stuff, just the URL. example: affiliatesalespage.com

        Then Your destination URL is: yoursite.info

        Make sense. It will redirect to the affiliate sales page and Google should be happy...

        They match.
        Signature
        [WSO] Easy WordPress Blog Setup Security Built-in from the Start
        [WSO] Ad Trackr Code Manager (WP Plug-in) - Easily Setup Ad Tracking on Your WP Blogs...
        Ask Your Ad Tracking Questions or Prosper202 Questions - Get a Quick Response

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[462217].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author lazavas
          Originally Posted by Stangracer View Post

          Ok... So if you surf to your affiliate link, put it in the browser and hit return... Once you get to your affiliate sales page, that URL in your browser is your Display URL, make sure you don't add any of the hoplink stuff, just the URL. example: affiliatesalespage.com

          Then Your destination URL is: yoursite.info

          Make sense. It will redirect to the affiliate sales page and Google should be happy...

          They match.
          let me make sure i get this

          the url i registered is my own, so its not to do with affiliate link, then it redirects to aff link through cpanel, it was just a url i set up thats relevant to what i am trying to promote, but if someone goes to it it will re direct them to a page which has my aff link in the browser, that make sense?

          thanks
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[462719].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lazavas
    this is the message im getting in google adwords if this makes sense.....

    Your display URL must accurately reflect the URL of your website; it must be a viable web address that is part of your ad's destination domain and include the domain extension (such as .com, .net, or .org). The domain extensions must match. For example, 'www.google.com' is not the same as 'www.google.co.uk.' Ads with display URLs that redirect to a different destination URL are not permitted.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[463751].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lazavas
    ok

    what i have done is set both urls as my main url since i have re direct set up, havent received an email from google yet saying its not allowed so fingers crossed
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[463822].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lazavas
      Originally Posted by lazavas View Post

      ok

      what i have done is set both urls as my main url since i have re direct set up, havent received an email from google yet saying its not allowed so fingers crossed
      ok still no good

      this is the message im getting in google adwords

      Ads with display URLs that redirect to a different destination URL are not permitted.

      anyone suggest a way around this?

      thanks
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[463950].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Srikanth D
        Originally Posted by lazavas View Post

        ok still no good

        this is the message im getting in google adwords

        Ads with display URLs that redirect to a different destination URL are not permitted.

        anyone suggest a way around this?

        thanks
        say your destination url is set to redirect to xyz.com/affiliateid ok.
        Now, your display url should be xyz.com
        Simple!

        Google wants the display url to be same as the final page in which the users are going to land up. Hope u go it this time around. else PM me with exact url details..
        Signature
        >> Getting back into IM game <<
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[464396].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author LivingCovers
          Originally Posted by heretowin View Post

          say your destination url is set to redirect to xyz.com/affiliateid ok.
          Now, your display url should be xyz.com
          Simple!

          Google wants the display url to be same as the final page in which the users are going to land up. Hope u go it this time around. else PM me with exact url details..
          Can this be applied to direct linking, heretowin?
          Is it possible to direct link to merchants' offers with the
          same strategy you mentioned above?
          thanks
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[465779].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Srikanth D
            Originally Posted by LivingCovers View Post

            Can this be applied to direct linking, heretowin?
            Is it possible to direct link to merchants' offers with the
            same strategy you mentioned above?
            thanks
            PM'd you...

            though you can direct link, your ads will still wont show because of poor quality score.
            Signature
            >> Getting back into IM game <<
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[466177].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author TrudyB
    I had the same problem. Thanks for all the answers here.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[482720].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author trafficguru
      I've had this same problem. In Google Adwords help section it says that you cannot use URL redirects. Am I reading this wrong? I have the URL going to mydomain.com which redirects to the offer but Google keeps disapproving the ad and won't run it saying that my display URL is innaccurate.

      Now I have tried:

      display: mydomain.com
      destination: mydomain.com/offer.html (which redirects to offer)

      Any advice??

      Trying to get this to work is getting me tired.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[484265].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author UMRK
        Originally Posted by trafficguru View Post

        I've had this same problem. In Google Adwords help section it says that you cannot use URL redirects. Am I reading this wrong? I have the URL going to mydomain.com which redirects to the offer but Google keeps disapproving the ad and won't run it saying that my display URL is innaccurate.

        Now I have tried:

        display: mydomain.com
        destination: mydomain.com/offer.html (which redirects to offer)

        Any advice??

        Trying to get this to work is getting me tired.
        The destination URL is the page you end up on after being redirected. So if your redirecting from mydomain.com/offer.html, that is not the final landing page. That's why Google wont accept it.

        To get around it you'd have to use the offers domain name in the display URL and your affiliate link as the destination URL. You can get away with that for a day or 2, but after that you'll probably get Google Slapped.

        Otherwise you'll have to make a landing page on your domain promoting the offer.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[485021].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author trafficguru
    I tried this and still AdWords will not approve my ad because of my display ad. Does anyone have the answer to this?

    Thank you.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[484361].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics