How to Get The Ball Rolling With CPA - The Honest Way

25 replies
Hello Everyone,

Let me give you some quick background on my experience:
  • I've been an SEO freelancer for almost 3 years
    • I want to leave SEO and move to Paid Advertising (faster results)
  • I'm a partner at a membership site that does well
I tell you this to let you know that I'm not a complete newb. when it comes to making it online.


My goal is to start by:


Spending 50 dollars to make 100


I want to use paid traffic (the smaller at first, the better) and eventually scale.



I'm not interested in dishonest methods (I've seen a lot of people with fly-by-night success by using tricks), and I'm successful enough in other ventures to spend real money (small at first) to get real results.


My question is mainly in this stream: If I'm going to use PPC, what kind of PPC should I use? Doesn't Google and FB not allow PPC to CPA offers? What site will I direct the traffic to (do I build a wordpress site? do they land on a certain type of page? do they land on my site, and I get them to click off site?)


Any advice you can offer would be very appreciated. Thank you!
#ball #cpa #honest #rolling
  • Profile picture of the author Vlom
    Hi james,

    To get started with CPA I would suggest you start looking into the PPV (some call it PPI) trafic; it's your best option to success IMO.

    PPC, especially on facebook or google is hell, since it's very hard to get approved, i don't think direct CPA would get approved, you'd need to pass it through your own squeeze pages, and even those are difficult to get approved these days.

    The good thing with PPV (pay-per-view or pay-per-impression) is that it's super cheap (0.005 <> 0.01$) and super available in huge amounts, it's basically the popup trafic you can come across on streaming website or stuff like that.

    You may not succeed at your first try but if you stick with a niche that works (health , make money , ..) and try to really put in some time into choosing the right CPA offers (not much , few hours to set everything up) you can definitely bring in some good money

    It's all a numbers game really, trafic is there, you just need to find the best conversion rate to make it work for you, obviously the graal of CPA offers are the ones with high payouts and few fields for the visitor to fill (4 maximum) !


    Best of luck mate!


    Mehdi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5860879].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Halcyon
    I'm relatively new to CPA style but I've found that my skills from other IM ventures work just as well. Your options are bound only by your creativity and the TOS of your ad network. Don't be shy to try something out.

    So far I love it, I've done quite well and I never direct link or 301 redirect. I always build my own landing pages. What you use to build the page depends on what you want it to accomplish.

    It can be as simple as Kompozer or as elaborate as Wordpress/Joomla. If you're looking to promote several offers it can be tedious building all those sites, however I prefer to promote only a few high paying offers. So for me the effort is worth it.

    Here are my top reasons for building my own landing pages.

    1. Direct linking is just too much hassle when you're dealing with the TOS from not only the Google/FB but the Ad networks and the whims of the advertisers. Some don't like this and others hate that. Your own landing page also opens you up to a wider variety of marketing strategies. You can try offline, mobile, etc.

    2. Building your own landing page allows you to adjust quickly if an offer is paused or canceled. You can grab another similar offer, slap it on the page, keep it moving. All without changing your ppc campaign.

    3. If you're email marketing, you definitely want your own landing page to send them to.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5860881].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Vlom
      Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post

      1. Direct linking is just too much hassle when you're dealing with the TOS from not only the Google/FB but the Ad networks and the whims of the advertisers. Some don't like this and others hate that. Your own landing page also opens you up to a wider variety of marketing strategies. You can try offline, mobile, etc.

      2. Building your own landing page allows you to adjust quickly if an offer is paused or canceled. You can grab another similar offer, slap it on the page, keep it moving. All without changing your ppc campaign.
      Very good advice Halcyon, and that works for everything!

      When dealing with tird-party ads NEVER, and I mean NEVER use the direct link they provide you with, sometimes the offer gets shut down, you get banned, the adnetwork closes .. you never know, and you won't be able to go and find all the links you've put everywhere, so my advice would be use something like this :

      http://myadwebsite.com/offer.php?id=6484994

      As simple as that, get a domain for that so you can keep organized and never lose money because of dead links! + dead links makes you look bad for your partners/jvs/etc ..






      Mehdi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5860906].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JamesMcCaferty
        Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post

        I'm relatively new to CPA style but I've found that my skills from other IM ventures work just as well. Your options are bound only by your creativity and the TOS of your ad network. Don't be shy to try something out.

        So far I love it, I've done quite well and I never direct link or 301 redirect. I always build my own landing pages. What you use to build the page depends on what you want it to accomplish.

        It can be as simple as Kompozer or as elaborate as Wordpress/Joomla. If you're looking to promote several offers it can be tedious building all those sites, however I prefer to promote only a few high paying offers. So for me the effort is worth it.

        Here are my top reasons for building my own landing pages.

        1. Direct linking is just too much hassle when you're dealing with the TOS from not only the Google/FB but the Ad networks and the whims of the advertisers. Some don't like this and others hate that. Your own landing page also opens you up to a wider variety of marketing strategies. You can try offline, mobile, etc.

        2. Building your own landing page allows you to adjust quickly if an offer is paused or canceled. You can grab another similar offer, slap it on the page, keep it moving. All without changing your ppc campaign.

        3. If you're email marketing, you definitely want your own landing page to send them to.
        Very Cool - Thanks! So If I am promoting, say, a pair of special basketball shoes. I would link the PPC ad to my landing page, where I talk about how these basketball shoes are really helpful at getting results, and you can get them on the next page by entering your info (on the next page) So the CPA offer IS NOT on the page I direct the PPC traffic to. So I DO have to convince them on MY LANDING PAGE to get them to go to the next page and enter their email or zip or whatever. Is that the gist? Would Google/FB allow that?

        Originally Posted by Vlom View Post

        Very good advice Halcyon, and that works for everything!

        When dealing with tird-party ads NEVER, and I mean NEVER use the direct link they provide you with, sometimes the offer gets shut down, you get banned, the adnetwork closes .. you never know, and you won't be able to go and find all the links you've put everywhere, so my advice would be use something like this :

        http://myadwebsite.com/offer.php?id=6484994

        As simple as that, get a domain for that so you can keep organized and never lose money because of dead links! + dead links makes you look bad for your partners/jvs/etc ..






        Mehdi
        I'll keep it in mind - also, you know your link doesn't work right? =)
        Signature

        Goal for 2012: Become an Online Ninja - Make at least 2,000/month recurring online by December 2012

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5860973].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Halcyon
          Originally Posted by JamesMcCaferty View Post

          Very Cool - Thanks! So If I am promoting, say, a pair of special basketball shoes. I would link the PPC ad to my landing page, where I talk about how these basketball shoes are really helpful at getting results, and you can get them on the next page by entering your info (on the next page) So the CPA offer IS NOT on the page I direct the PPC traffic to. So I DO have to convince them on MY LANDING PAGE to get them to go to the next page and enter their email or zip or whatever. Is that the gist? Would Google/FB allow that?
          Google likes to see landing pages that have a little more meat to them. ( i.e. content, navigation, privacy policy, tos). This is another reason why I don't direct link, sometimes the offer's landing page won't even satisfy the Google requirement. But don't worry, once you create it, you can use the same template for all of your pages.

          Other than that, that's the gist. Your Landing page sets the stage for the offer and then you send them to the offer. Also I want to state that the complexity of your landing page depends on the offer. For simple email submits the page can be as simple as "welcome" for high value sales leads you'll need to talk a bit more.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5861258].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author videolover7
            Any advice you can offer would be very appreciated. Thank you!
            If you hope to be successful, you'll need to do more than just participate in forum Q&A. You'll need training.

            A good product for you would be Traffic Blackbook - Traffic Black Book. (Not an affiliate link)

            Working with a good mentor would be even better.

            VL
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5861590].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Vlom
    Of course, it was a sample link to show what I meant.

    offer.php would be something like :

    $offer = $_GET['id'];
    $url = sql thingy to get the url with the id $offer
    header('location:'.$url);


    VoilĂ 




    Mehdi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5860989].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JamesMcCaferty
      @ Mehdi,
      I see what you're saying now - first things first - my understanding was that it's more preferable to get a mywebsite.com/theoffer instead of something convoluted like that.
      Signature

      Goal for 2012: Become an Online Ninja - Make at least 2,000/month recurring online by December 2012

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5861030].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author eedriyz
    PPV is the best. There's no reason to let google keep pulling one's leg over their adword policies. Use 7search and landing page. Just make sure you know what you're doing. Ask questions (guys here are always helpful) and buy courses, templates, if necessary
    Regards
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5861892].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lapeoro
      Originally Posted by eedriyz View Post

      PPV is the best. There's no reason to let google keep pulling one's leg over their adword policies. Use 7search and landing page. Just make sure you know what you're doing. Ask questions (guys here are always helpful) and buy courses, templates, if necessary
      Regards
      Yea, I agree. I've tried a lot of traffic sources but PPV is by far the easiest to get started with and you get traffic/results right away and can adjust your campaigns fast to reflect any conditions!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5878318].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author lukedidit
    Thanks OP for this thread! This helped me too.

    I am currently trying to hover up as much info as I can in this area. I have a 7search account in place and a peerfly account pending approval.

    I currently have some 7search ads running pointing to a clickbank affliate page, but I am not seeing many clicks as yet. I think I may need to hunt for some better keywords as the ones I have found need bids of > then $0.20 to pick up leads.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5862352].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author eedriyz
      Originally Posted by lukedidit View Post

      Thanks OP for this thread! This helped me too.

      I am currently trying to hover up as much info as I can in this area. I have a 7search account in place and a peerfly account pending approval.

      I currently have some 7search ads running pointing to a clickbank affliate page, but I am not seeing many clicks as yet. I think I may need to hunt for some better keywords as the ones I have found need bids of > then $0.20 to pick up leads.
      Surely high bidders gets better chance. Hunt better keywords + make sure the page you're sending traffics to is okay. Just to avoid wasting money
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5862457].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author lukedidit
        Originally Posted by eedriyz View Post

        Surely high bidders gets better chance. Hunt better keywords + make sure the page you're sending traffics to is okay. Just to avoid wasting money
        The product has a really nice landing page, its just I am not sure how well it will convert with 7search yet as I don't have much idea on the demographics of 7search.

        Do you know what works well with there network? From what I have seen so far its seems to be zip / email submits?

        I currently am using a surveys product and not sure its the best medium to push to 7 search eyeballs?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5862483].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author eedriyz
          Originally Posted by lukedidit View Post

          The product has a really nice landing page, its just I am not sure how well it will convert with 7search yet as I don't have much idea on the demographics of 7search.

          Do you know what works well with there network? From what I have seen so far its seems to be zip / email submits?

          I currently am using a surveys product and not sure its the best medium to push to 7 search eyeballs?
          Email/zip submits are all I ever used with them. But you can try the survey stuff, if you think the landing page is good. Just try on a low budget to see if it's worth it
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5863984].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author JamesMcCaferty
            Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post

            Google likes to see landing pages that have a little more meat to them. ( i.e. content, navigation, privacy policy, tos). This is another reason why I don't direct link, sometimes the offer's landing page won't even satisfy the Google requirement. But don't worry, once you create it, you can use the same template for all of your pages.

            Other than that, that's the gist. Your Landing page sets the stage for the offer and then you send them to the offer. Also I want to state that the complexity of your landing page depends on the offer. For simple email submits the page can be as simple as "welcome" for high value sales leads you'll need to talk a bit more.
            This was really great advice, I'm going to do my research today, and I should have a landing page up and running by the end of the week. Cheers!

            Originally Posted by videolover7 View Post

            If you hope to be successful, you'll need to do more than just participate in forum Q&A. You'll need training.

            A good product for you would be Traffic Blackbook - Traffic Black Book. (Not an affiliate link)

            Working with a good mentor would be even better.

            VL
            I'll check it out! Thank you!

            Originally Posted by eedriyz View Post

            PPV is the best. There's no reason to let google keep pulling one's leg over their adword policies. Use 7search and landing page. Just make sure you know what you're doing. Ask questions (guys here are always helpful) and buy courses, templates, if necessary
            Regards
            Originally Posted by lukedidit View Post

            Thanks OP for this thread! This helped me too.

            I am currently trying to hover up as much info as I can in this area. I have a 7search account in place and a peerfly account pending approval.

            I currently have some 7search ads running pointing to a clickbank affliate page, but I am not seeing many clicks as yet. I think I may need to hunt for some better keywords as the ones I have found need bids of > then $0.20 to pick up leads.
            I will check out 7search - also peerfly took about 3-4 weeks to get approved!
            Signature

            Goal for 2012: Become an Online Ninja - Make at least 2,000/month recurring online by December 2012

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5868068].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JamesMcCaferty
    I just picked up the Traffic Black Book - Looks legit.

    I'm going to be doing some KW research today, and research PPC's. (I'm going to use my free Google adwords bucks).

    I'm going to make a list of 4 high EPC & high CR (earnings per click and conversion rate) offers, and then do KW and PPC research on them.

    That's the goal for today.
    Signature

    Goal for 2012: Become an Online Ninja - Make at least 2,000/month recurring online by December 2012

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5868503].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author PPC-Coach
      Be careful relying too much on EPC's from network numbers. They can mix in and manipulate those quite easily. The only true way to know if an offer is good or not is to test it.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5868546].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JamesMcCaferty
        Originally Posted by PPC-Coach View Post

        Be careful relying too much on EPC's from network numbers. They can mix in and manipulate those quite easily. The only true way to know if an offer is good or not is to test it.

        Ah yes, there were some that had 100% conversion rate...in fact, there were many of them with downright absurd numbers, I don't know why they would do that... I'm avoiding those, and focusing on some that have more realistic numbers.
        Signature

        Goal for 2012: Become an Online Ninja - Make at least 2,000/month recurring online by December 2012

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5868937].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author videolover7
      Originally Posted by JamesMcCaferty View Post

      I just picked up the Traffic Black Book - Looks legit.
      It's a goldmine of solid, useable information about paid traffic sources (PPC, CPV, media buys)... especially as they relate to CPA offers.

      You should watch the videos on PPC and tracking BEFORE spending any money on Google or Facebook advertising.

      VL
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5869042].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author marceauct
    Vlom correct me if i'm wrong but what has kept me away from PPV is don't most browsers just automaticlly block pop-up ads, I know my browsers always do and if someone has to disable pop-ups every time they try to pop up i can't see how you ad really ever gets seen. Is there a way around this.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5869270].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Vlom
      Originally Posted by marceauct View Post

      Vlom correct me if i'm wrong but what has kept me away from PPV is don't most browsers just automaticlly block pop-up ads, I know my browsers always do and if someone has to disable pop-ups every time they try to pop up i can't see how you ad really ever gets seen. Is there a way around this.
      Hi Marc,

      This isn't really a problem since if the popup is blocked you don't pay the impression.

      Also, IE still counts for ~40% of browser usage worldwide and it doesn't block anything, and even on firefox and chrome popup still open, often as pop-unders but they do open.

      Proof of that is the huge amount of trafic available on PPV network, I think it's one of the cheapest/more available kind of traffic actually.



      Mehdi
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5875691].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author JamesMcCaferty
        I am about an hour into traffic blackbook.

        Great buy this far, this dude is awesome. No BS.
        Signature

        Goal for 2012: Become an Online Ninja - Make at least 2,000/month recurring online by December 2012

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5876880].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author hardinflash
    I really like PPV but there's easy money to be had at the lower level search engine services out there like 7search too.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5882899].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author KBrown
    Rock PN guys killer info .... am going to check out the ol blackbook action. Thanks and see you guys and gal...... later.

    KBrown

    I checked out the Traffic Blackbook ... I got it for a buck for 14 days then it gets charged to my paypal for 36 bucks choice offer so am on my way to read and get in the know.... know what am saying???? what are you waiting for?
    Signature
    What to see how its done? I Dare You!
    ListBuildingScience.Com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5885438].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JamesMcCaferty
    So I've got 105 bucks of free advertising.

    I'll let you know how it all goes!
    Signature

    Goal for 2012: Become an Online Ninja - Make at least 2,000/month recurring online by December 2012

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[5887856].message }}

Trending Topics