21 replies
If you know me you know I love numbers. Although I hate math! The only real #'s I love have a $ sign in front of them...

So before you read this and think it's to hard to calculate its really not.

Before you consider diving into PPV do you know your landing page conversion #'s? If you are direct linking do you know your conversion numbers and perfect demographics? If not it's gunna be a hell of a ride for you in the PPV market.

You have to know ALL your stats before you go into PPV/CPV!

How to test: start off with a semi controlled platform like PPC. If you are getting started then I suggest screw google and go to a tier 3 PPC network like 7search because it's the GREATEST for beginners and can potentially pull in great profits once you scale up.

Here is how I did it and still do it for every new offer. It doesn't matter weather you are direct linking or landing page.

Tier 3 PPC (7search/adbrite/etc)

If the offer has decent conversions then I'll move to:

Low cost media buy (adenage)

If it pulls well them I'll move to MSN adcenter while I'm still running the tier 3 and low cost media buys. So now I have 3 different Traffic sources.

After MSN If it's still doing well I go into the big boy arena.

Google PPC

If it is pulling well here I won't have a problem with $$ because at this point the offer should be pulling me in from $500-$1,000 profit per week. That's my goal. Before anything gets to the next phase I make sure it's hitting $500-$1,000. Nothing less.

Then it's a HUGE step up.

Media buys.

Direct media buys normally ranging from $500-$3,500.

I remember one particular time I had negotiated my way to $500 for a one month ad spot that pulled in 3,000-7,000 Uniques PER DAY! I was ranking in cash like I robbed a bank.

This leads me into my other topic I wanted to discuss.

Putting your eggs in one basket.

I remember running that offer in the weight loss niche and making it big. The advertiser decided to pull the offer and that's it! Their goes my $$.

So that kittle short lesson and what I always do: pick an offer that has 3-5 back up offers just incase one pulls off the network.

So be careful when you dive into PPV and never ran an offer before!

Just because it's cheap traffic doesn't mean it's good traffic. Just because you can send 500000000 people to an offer doesn't mean you'll get a conversion. And also....

You get what you pay for.

Pay $0.01 for a view you'll see that reflected on your earnings.
#ppv
  • Profile picture of the author ResultsDriven
    I and quite a few other people would disagree with you about PPV being effective for various types of offers.
    Signature
    CHECK OUT THE WORLD'S LARGEST NICHE WEBSITE PACKAGE


    "Talk is cheap, results aren't."
    Results Driven IM
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6704200].message }}
    • Originally Posted by ResultsDriven View Post

      I and quite a few other people would disagree with you about PPV being effective for various types of offers.

      That's why I said you should know your numbers. If your going in blind and just put up a URL and a few target keywords or URLs and you think your done your wrong. It doesn't really work like that. Until you have a rough foundation of where your offer stands (on a conversion aspect) then you really don't have a chance in profiting.

      Now that's just my opinion. Obviously everyone is entitled to his/her own.
      Signature
      Next time you're at a McDonald's Playplace and someone asks you, "Aww which one is yours?" Say, "I haven't picked one out yet..."

      Im selling 2 adwords accounts with $100 in each account for $30! $200 value! PM me only!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6704361].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Pava
    Originally Posted by DanDasilva15YearOldIM View Post

    You get what you pay for.

    Pay $0.01 for a view you'll see that reflected on your earnings.
    You mean I will get better traffic for it?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6704276].message }}
    • Originally Posted by Pava View Post

      You mean I will get better traffic for it?
      If your gunna spend a single penny run banners on google display network for a single penny. You have 7 search where you can get penny clicks and higher conversions then you would just starting out in PPV.
      Signature
      Next time you're at a McDonald's Playplace and someone asks you, "Aww which one is yours?" Say, "I haven't picked one out yet..."

      Im selling 2 adwords accounts with $100 in each account for $30! $200 value! PM me only!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6704336].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author speedylikesKJ
      To be honest that's how i stared 7search is always first place for me to test offers and from there i do take my campaigns to next level
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6704381].message }}
      • Originally Posted by speedylikesKJ View Post

        To be honest that's how i stared 7search is always first place for me to test offers and from there i do take my campaigns to next level
        And that's most likly why you are normally pretty successful with your campaigns that you scale up!
        Signature
        Next time you're at a McDonald's Playplace and someone asks you, "Aww which one is yours?" Say, "I haven't picked one out yet..."

        Im selling 2 adwords accounts with $100 in each account for $30! $200 value! PM me only!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6704404].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PPV Affiliate
    That's actually really bad advice. Offers can perform VASTLY different across traffic sources.

    There is absolutely no point in optimizing a PPC campaign (or any other traffic source) with the thought that it will somehow make PPV easier. You could have a LP/offer that doesn't convert at all on PPC, but does great on PPV. Why miss out on all those profitable campaigns just because an offer didn't work on PPC?

    Your logic is also totally flawed thinking you should start with 7search and adbrite then move onto better traffic sources. Most experienced affiliates start with a better quality traffic source, then maybe go to the 2nd tiers if they can't scale it any further.

    I'm not trying to put you down, that's just the exact opposite advice I would ever give someone.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6705182].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author brentb
      I hate bidding on 7search because there is not autobid... it requires manual adjustment.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6705268].message }}
    • Originally Posted by PPV Affiliate View Post

      That's actually really bad advice. Offers can perform VASTLY different across traffic sources.

      There is absolutely no point in optimizing a PPC campaign (or any other traffic source) with the thought that it will somehow make PPV easier. You could have a LP/offer that doesn't convert at all on PPC, but does great on PPV. Why miss out on all those profitable campaigns just because an offer didn't work on PPC?

      Your logic is also totally flawed thinking you should start with 7search and adbrite then move onto better traffic sources. Most experienced affiliates start with a better quality traffic source, then maybe go to the 2nd tiers if they can't scale it any further.

      I'm not trying to put you down, that's just the exact opposite advice I would ever give someone.

      Then again everyone has what works for them. I can obviously tell that you are a CPV marketer and you must admit that the quality of the traffic from directCPV and even traffic Vance has fallen. It wasn't what it used to be.

      Unless you test your offers for maximum gains will you eventually see a profit. But in all seriousness $50-$100 as a test I would rather spend on clicks them
      Impressions.
      Signature
      Next time you're at a McDonald's Playplace and someone asks you, "Aww which one is yours?" Say, "I haven't picked one out yet..."

      Im selling 2 adwords accounts with $100 in each account for $30! $200 value! PM me only!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6705455].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Brennen Noble
      Originally Posted by PPV Affiliate View Post

      That's actually really bad advice. Offers can perform VASTLY different across traffic sources.

      There is absolutely no point in optimizing a PPC campaign (or any other traffic source) with the thought that it will somehow make PPV easier. You could have a LP/offer that doesn't convert at all on PPC, but does great on PPV. Why miss out on all those profitable campaigns just because an offer didn't work on PPC?

      Your logic is also totally flawed thinking you should start with 7search and adbrite then move onto better traffic sources. Most experienced affiliates start with a better quality traffic source, then maybe go to the 2nd tiers if they can't scale it any further.

      I'm not trying to put you down, that's just the exact opposite advice I would ever give someone.
      100% correct. Not only do offers not perform similarly between PPC and PPV, in alot of cases they don't even perform similarly between different PPV networks!

      I've had camps with 200% ROI on TV, that would BOMB on LI and vice versa.

      This is a bit like comparing cars, motorcycles, boats, and jets... yes they all move people, but they move different types of people in different ways, at different speeds, over different distances.

      With PPV you need to have a few things in order. You MUST track, you NEED to split test, and you HAVE TO know when to go broad vs go niche/targeted - and that depends on the offer. Beyond that, you have to change your approach and stop looking at things from a PPC point of view.

      Compared to PPC, it IS a completely different animal.. but would I say not try it? Of course not! Some people just "get" PPV and suck at PPC and vice versa. The reasons most people cite to stay away from PPV are not so different than any other platform though; ANY form of CPM advertising can lose you a bunch of money if you make a dumb mistake on the front end. I can't even count the times I've accidentally ran dating ads meant for males to females on POF, or set up my tracking links incorrectly and sent hundreds of dollars to a completely unrelated offer. Even if it's the hard way, you learn to double and triple check!

      Don't be stupid, pay attention to your demographics and targeting, pay attention for awhile when you turn on a new campaign, and always set a reasonable budget when testing and you should be fine.
      Signature
      Over 2400 Warriors Use SoreThumb On Their Sites, Do You?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6723267].message }}
  • Originally Posted by bizoppmaster View Post

    Well first of all, PPV / CPV marketing is not cheap traffic. I can see how people might think that, looking at 1.5 cents per view.

    But if you do the math, that's $15 CPM. Which is crazy high, like big branding high.

    You should never pay over $2-$3 CPM when buying media.

    PPV can and does work, but you need to hyper focus your target urls and have a wicked landing page that converts.

    This is true. like you also mentioned you need to hyper target your URLs which can take time to see which ones are converting. Plus a wicked landing page. If you are new to PPV/CPV then you will not know what type of Landing pages convert for that type of traffic.

    Plus (even though I use PPV) is it a legit way to get traffic? Would you consider it unwanted or spam traffic?
    Signature
    Next time you're at a McDonald's Playplace and someone asks you, "Aww which one is yours?" Say, "I haven't picked one out yet..."

    Im selling 2 adwords accounts with $100 in each account for $30! $200 value! PM me only!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6705469].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author david15923
    Like, 7search (IMO) is NOT the way to start. I got into it, got 300$ in my account and I spent 60$, found 2 campaigns that gave me a 1$ profit/day. I could probably use the other 300$ but is it worth it?? I didn't put to action of what I was taught because a) I got little to no traffic, b) I got traffic but the CR was 0%, c) I get a campaign converting at a loss but there is not way to optimize because all the traffic comes from 1/2 keywords and 1/2 sub-id's or d) it converts semi-well but I have NO way of scaling it.

    I haven't tried CPV, I will do so in a couple of months with arround a 500$ budget (I hope) and I'm sure that a) I will get a good ammount of traffic, b) if it isn't converting I can split test landing pages/offers/networks, c) Because the traffic comes from a lot of sources and I'm using a landing page I can optimize it, and d) I can scale it because url's (I'm sure) are not as limited as keywords.

    Yes I will spend a lot more money and I probably won't profit any time soon but at least I learned how to optimize, split test, etc. Besides, there is a LOT more info out there about PPV from webinars (I watched ppv affilate aka david's webinar and it has a lot of info), info on this forum and I even bought ppvrocker for 5$ (very good product with a lot of nice bonus btw ).
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6705538].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PPC-Coach
    I think 7search is the place to learn the ropes for PPC, then move to Adcenter, then move to Facebook, (move as in ADD in those 2 traffic sources.)

    I used to do CPV/PPV a lot but now it's so saturated with meatheads getting into bidding wars on all the good terms that its difficult to make a profit without a really good angle, solid ad and great landing page.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6705693].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author david15923
      Originally Posted by PPC-Coach View Post

      I think 7search is the place to learn the ropes for PPC, then move to Adcenter, then move to Facebook, (move as in ADD in those 2 traffic sources.)

      I used to do CPV/PPV a lot but now it's so saturated with meatheads getting into bidding wars on all the good terms that its difficult to make a profit without a really good angle, solid ad and great landing page.
      well, 7search is saturated in a lot of niches, not because the bid is high but becuase the CR isn't that good. I'm speaking for the email submit niches anyways (not talking about ipad's and iphones btw )
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6705796].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author PPV Affiliate
        Originally Posted by DanDasilva15YearOldIM View Post

        Then again everyone has what works for them. I can obviously tell that you are a CPV marketer and you must admit that the quality of the traffic from directCPV and even traffic Vance has fallen. It wasn't what it used to be.

        Unless you test your offers for maximum gains will you eventually see a profit. But in all seriousness $50-$100 as a test I would rather spend on clicks them
        Impressions.
        So you think that 7search and adbrite are better quality than Traffic Vance? DirectCPV has always been garbage, the quality at Traffic Vance is good.

        I run on lots of traffic sources. I don't waste my time on crappy 2nd or 3rd tier traffic sources because it doesn't tell me what's going to work on not. Following your method, if I launched a campaign on 7 search and couldn't get it to work, I would move on. In reality, you very well could be throwing away a good campaign that would have converted on quality traffic. You have a MUCH better chance of getting conversions on a better quality traffic source.

        I'm not biased to PPV - it has good and bad things about it just like any traffic source. What I'm saying applies to any traffic source. Start with quality traffic and you stand the best chance of seeing results.

        If what you're doing works for you, great! Keep at it. I just know that none of the successful affiliates I've talked to do it that way. My worry is that people will follow your advice, get frustrated when it doesn't work, then quit.

        Originally Posted by DanDasilva15YearOldIM View Post

        This is true. like you also mentioned you need to hyper target your URLs which can take time to see which ones are converting. Plus a wicked landing page. If you are new to PPV/CPV then you will not know what type of Landing pages convert for that type of traffic.

        Plus (even though I use PPV) is it a legit way to get traffic? Would you consider it unwanted or spam traffic?
        But if you're new to 7search or whatever, you won't know what type of landing pages or offers convert on there. It's the exact same thing. Whatever traffic source you go with, there's a learning curve. I disagree with what some people teach that one traffic source is 'easier' to start on.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6706056].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeMorgan
    Originally Posted by DanDasilva15YearOldIM View Post


    Media buys.

    Direct media buys normally ranging from $500-$3,500.
    Sitescout.com is best option for new media buyers. You only need $500 to get started.
    Signature
    CPA Game Changer - Coming Very Soon !

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6706409].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eutaw
    TrafficVance is a great PPV network. Making good money.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6715897].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PPC-Coach
    7search is a different animal from the regular and larger PPC platforms. They combine search and content in every campaign and heavily on the content side. I think that's why so many struggle with it. You have to think more along a content network campaign which requires slightly different approaches versus search.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6716109].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PPC-Coach
    I disagree with the above statement about 7search. But to each his own.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6722997].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PPC-Coach
    Yes and they don't track, they don't block sites and don't manage their campaigns. Then they completely lack creativity and wonder why it's not working. So instead of blaming their horrible lack of skills, they blame the traffic source.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6723040].message }}

Trending Topics