Question about landing pages

12 replies
Hi all,

Sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question but I'm a bit technically challenged!

I want to create my own landing pages and figure using wordpress would be the easiest way for me to start.

I have a VPS hosting plan with Beyond Hosting, so should I just create a subdomain for each campaign I want to run and install WP in the subdomain? So if i was doing a dating offer and a credit score offer, it would be www.dating.mydomain.com with a wordpress landing page and www.creditscore.mydomain.com with a different wordpress landing page.

Is this the best way to do things or should I be buying seperate domains?

Sorry if it's a silly question. I'll Appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks
#landing #pages #question
  • Profile picture of the author Xtronikz
    Banned
    this depends on many factors.

    If you want a good clean landing page then you can install wordpress on subdomains and use certain themes that make landing pages that look EXTREMELY professional.

    What you are doing will work but to be honest you have to make sure you are targeting one niche with one domain.

    I wouldnt make a subdomain for a fat loss landing page on a domain that is meant to be used for internet marketing.

    But yes that is a possibility.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7138705].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Gkayla
    Banned
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7138736].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author doshmachine
      I would say it is definitely best to use separate subdomains for separate niches. You are not trying to get links from one to the other for ranking so it is not a problem. You can work on each one separately for SEO etc,. Also, you can adjust the themes easily for each domain. Unless you have an umbrella term that is a catch all for all your offers this is an easy way to keep organised and will save you money on buying separate domain names - which I am presuming is what you want to do.

      Another way would be just to create separate landing pages but not have them show on your site map. So only the traffic directed to them knows they are there.
      Depending on how many themes you want to use depends on how messy each method gets.
      Signature
      >>>FREE WordPress Squeeze Page Plugin<<<
      > Easy to Use - Totally Cool <

      >>>>>>>
      Click Here: www.wpoptins.info <<<<<<
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7138780].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author bluebagger
        Originally Posted by Xtronikz View Post

        this depends on many factors.

        If you want a good clean landing page then you can install wordpress on subdomains and use certain themes that make landing pages that look EXTREMELY professional.

        What you are doing will work but to be honest you have to make sure you are targeting one niche with one domain.

        I wouldnt make a subdomain for a fat loss landing page on a domain that is meant to be used for internet marketing.

        But yes that is a possibility.
        Originally Posted by doshmachine View Post

        I would say it is definitely best to use separate subdomains for separate niches. You are not trying to get links from one to the other for ranking so it is not a problem. You can work on each one separately for SEO etc,. Also, you can adjust the themes easily for each domain. Unless you have an umbrella term that is a catch all for all your offers this is an easy way to keep organised and will save you money on buying separate domain names - which I am presuming is what you want to do.

        Another way would be just to create separate landing pages but not have them show on your site map. So only the traffic directed to them knows they are there.
        Depending on how many themes you want to use depends on how messy each method gets.
        Thanks so much for your help.

        My domain is actually a general name, not specific to any niche. It is used solely for hosting landing pages for CPA offers with traffic generated by PPC, so I'm not interested in it ranking or doing SEO on it as I have other seperate domains for those type of projects.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7139961].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7139997].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jairod
    I had the same desire and ended up developing a wordpress page template derived from envato static landing pages (Marketing - Health Point - Health Industry Landing Page | ThemeForest) and ported it to wordpress (I Can Do It Conference)

    I use custom fields and I just add the info into neat little boxes in the wordpress admin section.

    The conversion rate on these pages has been extraordinary for ppc traffic, over 20%

    Let me know if this is what you're looking for, I've been considering offering this as a plugin.

    Best wishes
    Signature

    Jairo Rodriguez
    http;//nomadixgear.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7158884].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Dan Grossman
    It doesn't exactly match up with your plans, but there are compelling alternatives to managing multiple WordPress installs, setting up subdomains, trying/buying different themes, etc.

    You might want to at least consider something like Unbounce, which includes drag-and-drop landing page creation, built-in templates, built-in A/B testing, built-in hosting, and integrations with most other marketing software you would want to use, like mailing list providers to send your e-mail leads to:

    Landing Pages: Create, Publish & A/B Test Without I.T. | Unbounce
    Signature
    Improvely: Built to track, test and optimize your marketing.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7159209].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author bluebagger
      Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post

      It doesn't exactly match up with your plans, but there are compelling alternatives to managing multiple WordPress installs, setting up subdomains, trying/buying different themes, etc.

      You might want to at least consider something like Unbounce, which includes drag-and-drop landing page creation, built-in templates, built-in A/B testing, built-in hosting, and integrations with most other marketing software you would want to use, like mailing list providers to send your e-mail leads to:

      Landing Pages: Create, Publish & A/B Test Without I.T. | Unbounce
      Thanks so much Dan, that looks really good and will suit my needs.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7159318].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisBa
    Originally Posted by bluebagger View Post

    Hi all,

    Sorry if this is a bit of a dumb question but I'm a bit technically challenged!

    I want to create my own landing pages and figure using wordpress would be the easiest way for me to start.

    I have a VPS hosting plan with Beyond Hosting, so should I just create a subdomain for each campaign I want to run and install WP in the subdomain? So if i was doing a dating offer and a credit score offer, it would be www.dating.mydomain.com with a wordpress landing page and www.creditscore.mydomain.com with a different wordpress landing page.

    Is this the best way to do things or should I be buying seperate domains?

    Sorry if it's a silly question. I'll Appreciate any help you can give.

    Thanks
    Typically I buy a domain per site or niche.. I have tried both this approach, using sub domains and just folders and typically I find offers on their own domain convert better for me
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[7159376].message }}

Trending Topics