InfoProducts - low priced digital products- working or no?

25 replies
Hi all,

we are running successful health supplements business - we have proven track record back to 1999s, a lot of satisfied customers but for past year or two we've been struggling to grow - as our options in terms of advertising are limited - because of strict google's policies and inability to do any retargeting based on health condition.

Because of the above, we've been thinking about making and selling digital products ( ebooks, or membership websites etc..) and advertising them - sell for low price something as $7 or $9 - and then we would cross-sell the supplements, of course.

However, we aren't really able to invest time and effort in something we are not sure that would work, as we are already overwhelmed - so thought to ask the experts here for suggestions and recommendations - is this something that could work?

Does anybody have positive experiences with the above tactics ?

Any advice or suggestion is highly appreciated :-)

Thanks :-)
#digital #infoproducts #low #priced #products #working
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author jessegilbert
    Originally Posted by lunajoma View Post

    Hi all,

    we are running successful health supplements business - we have proven track record back to 1999s, a lot of satisfied customers but for past year or two we've been struggling to grow - as our options in terms of advertising are limited - because of strict google's policies and inability to do any retargeting based on health condition.

    Because of the above, we've been thinking about making and selling digital products ( ebooks, or membership websites etc..) and advertising them - sell for low price something as $7 or $9 - and then we would cross-sell the supplements, of course.

    However, we aren't really able to invest time and effort in something we are not sure that would work, as we are already overwhelmed - so thought to ask the experts here for suggestions and recommendations - is this something that could work?

    Does anybody have positive experiences with the above tactics ?

    Any advice or suggestion is highly appreciated :-)

    Thanks :-)
    Sounds like a competitive market for ebooks. The answer might be to make the price higher rather than lower.
    Signature
    ThermoNuclear Branding: The #1 Fastest Way To Improve Your Marketing: http://www.BrainstormPro.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11290696].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
    My instinct is that the markets for health supplements and health eBooks are different. It's possible you could break into the latter, but without knowing your area of specialization, it's hard to say whether you'd be wasting your time.

    I'm a little confused about why you're intent on growth when you admit to being currently overwhelmed. Could you handle that growth?

    One option that might be worth looking into is offering a white label service for your supplements, assuming you're the original manufacturer. That shouldn't require too much extra in terms of infrastructure, and would be less of a risk than diversifying into a completely new area.
    Signature
    TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11290718].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lunajoma
      Hi Frank - thanks for the reply I appreciate it.

      We were thinking about all kinds of info-products, not specifically e-books - like membership websites or webinars or whatever...

      As to areas of specialization - our products are for different health issues - like cholesterol, blood pressure, blood flow etc..

      Well - we are looking to hire experts and delegate - if you can help or have any recommendations - it would be highly appreciated.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291887].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    Originally Posted by lunajoma View Post

    Hi all,

    we are running successful health supplements business - we have proven track record back to 1999s, a lot of satisfied customers but for past year or two we've been struggling to grow - as our options in terms of advertising are limited - because of strict google's policies and inability to do any retargeting based on health condition.

    Because of the above, we've been thinking about making and selling digital products ( ebooks, or membership websites etc..) and advertising them - sell for low price something as $7 or $9 - and then we would cross-sell the supplements, of course.

    However, we aren't really able to invest time and effort in something we are not sure that would work, as we are already overwhelmed - so thought to ask the experts here for suggestions and recommendations - is this something that could work?

    Does anybody have positive experiences with the above tactics ?

    Any advice or suggestion is highly appreciated :-)

    Thanks :-)
    What brought this on? Where'd the idea come from? I'm curious because the key here is how serious you are in solving the problem.

    But...are you clear on what problem you're solving?

    Being overwhelmed means you are not prioritizing correctly. I know all about this, so don't feel like I'm making fun of you. It's common for business owners. Let me share a concept I "knew" but was re-taught recently by a French programmer who makes a lot of money:

    Think about your activities as binary. 0 or 1. 1 = money-making activity.

    Anything that is less than 1 is really a 0, isn't it. As newbie coach Marlon Sanders famously shouted in a video a few years back now, "Half done AIN'T DONE!"

    How many activities are you involved in that are not 1 activities? I'll bet a lot. And again, I get into this trap myself from time to time. Despite delegating a ton!

    So start there.

    But what is "the problem" you need to be focused on solving here? The one that this vague "Hey, maybe we should put some books out there" is approaching sideways?

    You have two elements to making money: Traffic and Conversion.

    From what you've shared I get the sense that you are a bit stuck for methods to increase Traffic right now--more people to see your offers.

    A book is indeed easier to market than a supplement. And a book allows you to enter the conversation going on in your prospect's mind...Amazon/Kindle is a great traffic source because BUYERS are on there searching for info on the topic.

    The book price is not to make money, you understand. It's to generate a little revenue to pay for more traffic. You see, you can't rely on Amazon's search engine to be the only source of traffic. You're going to have to pay for it. And that's fine...every business has a Cost of Customer Acquisition. You should know what the Lifetime Value of your supplement customer is, and that will help you with what your CCA can be.

    I find many businesses, even some that are (temporarily) making money are flying by the seat of the pants. They don't know their numbers. I hope you know yours. I suspect you do not, though, because if you did know your LTV you wouldn't be here asking this question: you'd be saying, "We can invest $13 in traffic and book development to get a customer," and be off figuring out that split.

    So the books are a traffic generation source using paid and free search engines on established platforms. They sell the reader on your solution to a specific problem. And then the offer to collect that solution is to buy your supplements package. That's what you're about here, if you go in this direction.

    If you're serious, you'll realize you have to invest in this program, in time and money. If you're not, it'll blow away in the wind like another "gee that'd be nice" idea.

    If I was in your shoes, I would do two things:

    1. Pay a Kindle expert, a real one, to help outline the strategy. This includes traffic generation (organic at Amazon plus paid traffic) and book titles. You are not going to get quality help in this area for under $5K...I have some true bestseller experts as clients--not the "I got the badge from Amazon for selling a few copies today"-type bestseller but the longevity-minded, genuine bestseller for months and months-type

    2. Look deeply into the case of Kevin Trudeau, who was able to side-step advertising rules for awhile through books, but eventually got in trouble for claims made despite the means of fulfillment (book rather than pill). You do not want to duplicate his end results.

    You can outsource the writing of the books, the traffic management, and most other tasks. But the first thing you must do is UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE DOING, and I don't fully see that yet.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11290742].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author VidasVegas
    Simple - you'll never make good money buy selling low cost products.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11290859].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
      Originally Posted by VidasVegas View Post

      Simple - you'll never make good money buy selling low cost products.
      I hate how everyone generalizes.

      Signature
      TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11290877].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author discrat
      Originally Posted by VidasVegas View Post

      Simple - you'll never make good money buy selling low cost products.
      Never say NEVER ! This is a common fallacy.

      You start off with an intro product at a low price. Get people interested in you and what you can do for them. Then later on in the relationship building phase you Offer higher priced items that can benefit them
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291925].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve B
    Originally Posted by lunajoma View Post

    ... our options in terms of advertising are limited - because of strict google's policies and inability to do any retargeting based on health condition.

    If you have a successful business, like you say, going back to 1999, I think you would be foolish to begin selling low-priced ebooks. To me, the problem is your marketing and advertising of the current business if you are totally dependent upon Google. You're letting a minor obstacle get in the way of the real root of your problem.

    Personally, with the limited information you've given, I think your plan is a "band-aid" approach to trying to get more traffic, subscribers, and sales. Get to the root of the problem, apply even a limited budget to your growth and marketing, and begin building upon the success you already have instead of looking for greener pastures with ebook selling and cross-sells.

    Just my humble opinion,

    Steve
    Signature

    Steve Browne, online business strategies, tips, guidance, and resources
    SteveBrowneDirect

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11290869].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lunajoma
      Hi Steve - yes, at the end the purpose is the get more traffic - but as I mentioned - our options are limited because of the strict regulations for health supplements - and that's not just google.

      So, you say it isn't all about Google, so what else ? We are doing YT, tried FB - never worked, we use Bing as well.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291885].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SiteNameSales
    Create some 'free' ebooks with your products advertised within. Try an experiment with Facebook Fan Pages.Then advertise on Facebook for affiliates to promote anyway they see fit. Work out an affiliate arrangement with a platform like Clickbank or MaxBounty. They will also advertise your affiliate opportunities.

    You don't need to create sites for everyone. Just affiliate links to your site. Think about customizing your digital products so that affiliates can add their links.

    The first thing, of course, is to create a digital product. Don't know your finances, but you can get a copywriter to do the work if you provide the necessary info.

    Lastly, Google Adwords is not the only game in town. Facebook and/or Bing can be helpful. Just don't go overboard with exaggerated claims.

    Just some ideas. Hope you find them useful.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11290937].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lunajoma
      Thank you :-)

      So you suggest offering free e-book rather then selling them?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291881].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jbsmith
    Yep, that's exactly the strategy you want to be using. Run a free + shipping print book campaign where you recoup your costs on shipping your book or booklet as well as digital versions of your product for something like $5.99 and then promote your supplements on the back-end. This is not the only strategy changes you should make, but certainly is a good one allowing you to expand your advertising on Google and Facebook to capture a much larger front-end and then market your supplements as the back-end. Choose your top selling supplements to begin with, target the top desired use-cases and create your book or ebook around those so that you are well aligned to market the supplement on the back-end.

    In addition to all of this you should be expanding your organic reach via --

    1. Affiliates
    2. YouTube
    3. Podcasts

    Jeff
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291014].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lunajoma
      Hi Jeff - thanks!

      We are already doing YT with huge success, and we are looking into podcasts - but we need some help in that area - do you maybe have any recommendations for help in area of podcasts?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291880].message }}
  • Originally Posted by lunajoma View Post

    ...we are running successful health supplements business...
    What kind of health supplements do you sell, or what are your best sellers? What topics/problem/solution would the ebooks be based around, and how would you entice your customers from 1999 to purchase them from you? Would you make just 1 ebook, or a slew of them? Also, dont sell them for $7 or $9. Sell them for $20 and above.
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291051].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lunajoma
      Thanks for the reply Jeff.

      Our products are for cholesterol, blood pressure, blood flow, depression, libido ...many of them.
      Our best seller is for cholesterol.

      Guess we would then probably go with the content around cholesterol, although we recently had great success with libido/testosterone product - and we might consider working on it as well.

      You think 7 or 9 is too low?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291871].message }}
  • I think the idea has potential. I think the ebooks might even provide you with the opportunity to expand your business (food? exercise?)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291710].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lunajoma
      Yes, that's what we were thinking also - but main focus would be to build the lists and sell the supplements at the end.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291875].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BrunoBruno
    Well this is quite interesting. What will be your ebooks about? You understand that ebooks and health supplements will have different markets right? I'm not saying that this is impossible, but surely this will be challenging. Have you ever considered working with influencers? You can have an influencer under the health and wellness niche promote you, given that the influencer has a large following,then it will surely go a long way. Phlanx is a good platform to connect with one. Goodluck!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291824].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author lunajoma
      Thanks for the reply Bruno.

      The books/info-products would probably be around best/easiest way to help health condition they have - including meal plan, recipes, shopping list probably, etc...

      Yes, we have been thinking about working with influencers - but never really came to the point of doing something about it.
      Except the platform (thank you :-)) - do you maybe have any other recommendations - experts to help, or hire to help us with that?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291872].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SiteNameSales
    Have you explored sites like Market Health or Sell Health? These are platforms that specialize in working with affiliates and other marketers to sell health products. I'm sure you can get more ideas from them and possibly work out a business relationship when you feel you're ready. Drop them a note and see if they can be of service.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11291961].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author copywriterpros
    Low priced digital products working all the time with correct idea and good timing in marketing. Do not expect something huge at the start but after a while if you do everything in a good way you can expect some nice profit.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11292967].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisBa
    Originally Posted by lunajoma View Post

    Hi all,

    we are running successful health supplements business - we have proven track record back to 1999s, a lot of satisfied customers but for past year or two we've been struggling to grow - as our options in terms of advertising are limited - because of strict google's policies and inability to do any retargeting based on health condition.

    Because of the above, we've been thinking about making and selling digital products ( ebooks, or membership websites etc..) and advertising them - sell for low price something as $7 or $9 - and then we would cross-sell the supplements, of course.

    However, we aren't really able to invest time and effort in something we are not sure that would work, as we are already overwhelmed - so thought to ask the experts here for suggestions and recommendations - is this something that could work?

    Does anybody have positive experiences with the above tactics ?

    Any advice or suggestion is highly appreciated :-)

    Thanks :-)
    It can work but this is a very competitive (and expensive) niche. Best way to know is to try it and see if it works.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11292974].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Judey
    If your spending money on ads, then selling a low ticket offer is a good thing to do first and then adding higher priced related offer as an Upsell.

    E.g when you $9 product, you can Upsell them immediately with a $97 offer an recople your ad spend.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11293491].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DABK
    I know! Nobody's ever bought a Ford. People only buy Ferrari!

    Originally Posted by VidasVegas View Post

    Simple - you'll never make good money buy selling low cost products.
    Yup, but you're talking like a savvy marketer, a claim VidasVegas never made about VidasVegas, eh?

    Originally Posted by discrat View Post

    Never say NEVER ! This is a common fallacy.

    You start off with an intro product at a low price. Get people interested in you and what you can do for them. Then later on in the relationship building phase you Offer higher priced items that can benefit them
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11293516].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnVianny
    Try to advertise your physical product in:

    ezine (search ezine solo ads)
    fb ads using shopify
    magazine ads
    and google adwords display network pointing blogs regarding your niche.

    You can also go to maxbounty and peerfly and subscribe as an advertiser: doing cpa for product sold
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11294891].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics