Landing Page Questions (Newbie Alert!)

19 replies
Hi everyone! Quick question. What is the difference between sending people to a homepage with a CTA and sending them directly to a landing page? Could my homepage actually double as a landing page or would I need to build a landing page in addition to my homepage
Is the landing page actually a part of my website, with it's own unique address or something completely different?

Also, can the landing page/homepage have a menu at the top or will that confuse prospects/leads? I've heard from Neil Patel that you shouldn't have a navigation menu, but if it's my homepage then I assume I would need to keep the navigation menu there so that people can view my privacy policy and "about me" sections.

I appreciate any help I can get!

Thanks,

TIm
#alert #landing #newbie #page #questions
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
    A landing page is simply the page on which a visitor first arrives at a site. So it can be a home page, a squeeze page, an article page, whatever you want.

    The type of page will depend on what action, if any, you want that visitor to take. So if your intention is a specific CTA, such as a click or a sign-up, you might want to limit any other distractions on the page. That's why you see specially-created "landing page" templates.
    Signature
    TOP TIP: To browse the forum like a Pro, select "View Classic" from the drop-down menu under your user name.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11362835].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MagicWords
      Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

      A landing page is simply the page on which a visitor first arrives at a site. So it can be a home page, a squeeze page, an article page, whatever you want.

      The type of page will depend on what action, if any, you want that visitor to take. So if your intention is a specific CTA, such as a click or a sign-up, you might want to limit any other distractions on the page. That's why you see specially-created "landing page" templates.
      Spot on. Your landing page will vary depending on what action you want them to take (click on some link, opt in, etc.).
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11364279].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author webhosting
    Originally Posted by Tim Jury View Post

    Also, can the landing page/homepage have a menu at the top or will that confuse prospects/leads? I've heard from Neil Patel that you shouldn't have a navigation menu,
    A few months ago I made an A/B test. Version A was a landing page and version B the same page with the menu. The A performed slightly better.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11362842].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Obviously any unnecessary links on the page will allow traffic a chance to leave.

    Don't distract traffic when they're in buying mode.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11362857].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author garry baker
    This is when you need to step back and take some time to learn and understand in the world of marketing what it is you are doing...

    When you are sending traffic to a page and you want a certain response you need to build the page to get that response and only that response otherwise you will lose the person when they land on the page...


    A squeeze page in the land of marketing as a mechanism inside of Direct Response Marketing, you are squeezing them into your funnel, and it starts with only giving them one option, to enter their email address...


    well two options, they can leave, this is where you get into an exit pop or using the Columbo method, like "just one more thing" or "before you leave" ... a second shot at them to enter their email address....


    The more options you give a person the less action that you want, or the response you want you will get...

    You send traffic to your homepage, they are just going to wander around click a few things and then bounce away...


    There are plenty of reasons to have a full website with lots of great information, and links and menus and designers will love to give you all that and it will be really nice looking and full of functions...


    But for having a single Call To Action and getting a Direct Response you want to only give them the one option you want them to do, right then and there, and then follow up with all the other things you want them to do, aka "buy"....
    Signature
    Time is your most valuable resource ... do not waste it...
    https://30MinuteMarketing.net
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11363362].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sana11
      Originally Posted by garry baker View Post

      This is when you need to step back and take some time to learn and understand in the world of marketing what it is you are doing...

      When you are sending traffic to a page and you want a certain response you need to build the page to get that response and only that response otherwise you will lose the person when they land on the page...


      A squeeze page in the land of marketing as a mechanism inside of Direct Response Marketing, you are squeezing them into your funnel, and it starts with only giving them one option, to enter their email address...


      well two options, they can leave, this is where you get into an exit pop or using the Columbo method, like "just one more thing" or "before you leave" ... a second shot at them to enter their email address....


      The more options you give a person the less action that you want, or the response you want you will get...

      You send traffic to your homepage, they are just going to wander around click a few things and then bounce away...


      There are plenty of reasons to have a full website with lots of great information, and links and menus and designers will love to give you all that and it will be really nice looking and full of functions...


      But for having a single Call To Action and getting a Direct Response you want to only give them the one option you want them to do, right then and there, and then follow up with all the other things you want them to do, aka "buy"....

      I wouldn't have said it any better! There is one more thing bugging my mind, please fellow warriors correct me if I'm wrong! why don't you build your site/blog and have a really enticing side bar widget linked to your squeeze page, and then take it from there.... ? This way to me you "catch more flies in one shot" by driving traffic to your blog, building your audience and making possible sales at the same time....
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11363913].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Risktaker89
    First of all, you need to understand the term landing page.

    The way I see it, there are basically 2 types of landing page:

    1. a.k.a squeeze page / lead capture page - this kind of landing page only serves as one purpose - to capture email leads - if you are using paid traffic, you would like to send them to this page first.

    2. the landing page of a person's business / blog - This kind of landing page where they show their authority first, usually accompanied together with links where you can click and sign up for something. The main purpose is to establish authority. patricchan.name will be a good example.

    The question that I would ask myself:

    1. What kind of traffic is sent to my landing page.

    -if it's traffic from my email list, I would send them to the 2nd kind of landing page

    -if it's traffic from SEO, I would still send them to the 2nd kind of landing page

    - if it's paid traffic, for example solo ads, I would send them to the 1st kind of landing page

    2. The purpose of the page

    - is it to build authority?

    - is it to build an email list? If it's for building an email list, then removing all other distractions will be the way to go. You could still add disclaimers and privacy policy in this kind of landing pages to comply with the advertising sites you use, e.g. Facebook ads

    The landing pages you built can use your same domain there is no need to purchase a new domain. If you are using Wordpress and you have page builders such as Instabuilder, Thrive Architect, Optimize Press or other form of page builder, just click on create new page, and create your landing page from there.

    If you are not using Wordpress, you can create a simple landing page with a WYSIWYG program, e.g. Kompozer, and upload the file to your hosting account. Some hosting accounts will provide you with a page builder too and you can build a simple landing page to capture leads with it too.

    Hope this helps!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11364176].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnVianny
    If you are doing cpa is like doing lead generation for others

    SO your squeeze page has to have the minimum set of distracions

    So basically build a squeeze with the less element you can except the field required for cpa.

    BUT why are you doing cpa instead of building a more sustainable list?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11364178].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Janice Wald
    Hi,
    I agree with what is being said here. Your landing page and your home page should be separate. Your landing page gives visitors a chance for you to put your best foot forward and get signups or get sales.

    What if your best impression isn't made by whatever happens to be on your homepage at the time the visitor arrives?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11364276].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisBa
    Originally Posted by Tim Jury View Post

    Hi everyone! Quick question. What is the difference between sending people to a homepage with a CTA and sending them directly to a landing page? Could my homepage actually double as a landing page or would I need to build a landing page in addition to my homepage
    Is the landing page actually a part of my website, with it's own unique address or something completely different?

    Also, can the landing page/homepage have a menu at the top or will that confuse prospects/leads? I've heard from Neil Patel that you shouldn't have a navigation menu, but if it's my homepage then I assume I would need to keep the navigation menu there so that people can view my privacy policy and "about me" sections.

    I appreciate any help I can get!

    Thanks,

    TIm
    Landing pages are often used when promoting affiliate offers, in this case you are referring to your homepage, does this mean you own the website? if you own the website and offer, you don't necessarily need both a landing page and homepage, it really depends on what you are trying to do. If you are promoting affiliate offers, then yes - you should have a landing page to help pre-sell your visitors.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11364679].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Alexis Wilke
    You are asking about whether your landing page (and I think you mean a squeeze page, really) should have a link to your privacy policy and terms & conditions and possibly some disclaimer.

    The answer is Yes.

    Note however that you could looks into getting those links to open popups so your users are still on the page and can go on with your offer. All other links should be GONE.

    There is one page I have which has just that kind of popups:

    https://diverserealty.team/orangevale-homes-list.php

    If your home page is already a sales letter, you can reuse it as your squeeze page, obviously. Just make sure to mark the squeeze page with NOINDEX so Google & Co. do not see it as a duplicate. It should not matter much if you have an ad to send traffic to the squeeze page, although, you never know. Because Google could decide that the squeeze page should be the one indexed and not your standard home page!

    As others mentioned, any other link creates a distraction and people may want to click on them and you'd lose them from your sales letter.

    You're "About Me" is probably okay, but I would not put that as a separate page on the squeeze page. Instead I would create an "About Me" which is one or two paragraphs within the sales letter. That's how it's usually done.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11364722].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dilipcybex
    If you do it properly, your homepage will automatically double as your landing page. If otherwise, better try to modify your landing page without causing much issues to incoming traffic.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11365062].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author salsym
    It can be. But first you need to understand, how and why landing pages are designed. They are distraction free. When your prospect reaches there, he sees only your message or product that you want him to see. There are no ads, no menus etc. to distract him. Your home page will have plenty of other things other than the main product to distract him, so your conversion rate will come down..
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11365078].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ashwinsd
    It is good to have a landing page without a menu.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11365098].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author imranimran
    If the traffic coming from the Paid ads and you want your customer to Buy a product or service then your lading page should be in such a way that there should relative content for which actually customer came for , if not your landing page is home page which is not relative to your ad then there is more chance of your customer leaving the page.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11365174].message }}
  • It is better to have a landing page to capture the email of visitors so that we can build a long term relationship. Furthermore, leads are not cheap nowadays. The landing page can be at same domain but different sub-folder. The homepage can have menu at the top so that the visitors can easily navigate you site.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11365580].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JohnVianny
    it's all belong to the MARKET STRATEGY behind. no quick recipe.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11368770].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IGotMine
    A "landing page" should offer only two options - perform the CTA or leave.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11368859].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AshleyRivera
    The landing page is where you want your visitor to go and if it happens to be the home page then that's fine. It's the first place they will see so if you are wanting them to perform a certain action on that page try to keep it simple and easy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11370152].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics