Needing feed back on new web site

28 replies
Hi
I'm a speech therapist. I'm working on creating a site to give parents ideas and information to help with speech and language development at home. If I can get enough traffic and interest I would like to eventually either charge for my speech programs and/or sell advertising.

I just started it a few weeks ago and am adding more content when I can. Right now it focuses on speech sounds but I will be adding pages on language development.

Its just a simple Wordpress site. I am in no way a web designer.

I would very much appreciate feedback on anything that would help put me on the right track with this. Anything to do with the look or content or anything that I should add or take away. I would much rather make changes now rather than later.

My site is www.speech-therapyathome.com It is also under speechtherapyathome.ca and speech-therapy-at-home.com

Thank you very much for all of your help.
#back #feed #needing #site #web
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author IGotMine
    I would much rather make changes now rather than later.
    Get your own hosting.
    Signature
    $1 Billion Free Traffic Loophole - 10 Done For You Free Traffic Software Tools
    Get FREE Traffic Right Now! >>>
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11369543].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Frznrth
      Thanks - Do you mean I should have my own server? Not something I'm likely wanting to invest the time or money in unless you can help me with good reasons.

      Or do you mean just getting away from Wordpress?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11369580].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author IGotMine
        Originally Posted by Frznrth View Post

        Thanks - Do you mean I should have my own server? Not something I'm likely wanting to invest the time or money in unless you can help me with good reasons.

        Or do you mean just getting away from Wordpress?
        I mean get your own hosting account and stop hosting your site on wordpress.com where it's not really yours.

        Shared hosting is cheap for a single site and most good hosts have one-click Wordpress installers.
        Signature
        $1 Billion Free Traffic Loophole - 10 Done For You Free Traffic Software Tools
        Get FREE Traffic Right Now! >>>
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11369641].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frznrth
    I used a different host for the last website I tried. I didn't mind it but Wordpress was a bit cheaper so I went with it. What are the advantages of not using Wordpress?
    Thanks
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11369645].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author savidge4
    A website is a collection of different medias that convey a message. Images, text videos etc all of these things allowing the visitor to better understand what it is you do, and what you are wanting them to do.

    So the idea for your site is "Speech Therapy At Home" ok that is great. and the first text I am reading is about Practicing sounds at home. NOT the same message. right off the bat there is a disconnect. Go a step before this and you have a nice image of a baby, a toddler and an adolescent. how is any of this tying together.

    Maybe some opening text on how important language is in our world. How the success of your child now and their future rides on communication. ( create urgency, and create a point of bonding with the reader - they will obviously agree ) and YOU are here to help. Hi my name is X and I am a registered Speech therapist OR Hi my name is X and I am a parent of a child with speech issues. ( develop authority )

    Then go into how you suggest that parents start with their child with " Sounds " and that you have created a library of sound skills to help them with the process Patience and persistence and forward progress can be made.

    You need to create a level of authority. You need to create a level of trust. You need to undermine the angst the reader is probably having in terms of their childs speech. you need to develop the idea that TOGETHER the parent can get through this. and you are providing the tools to help them with THIER success, as well as their childs.
    Signature
    Success is an ACT not an idea
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11369659].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Frznrth
      Thank you. You brought up good points that I will work on.. I recycled the baby, boy and teen image from my last site - IdeasToGrowOn - I wanted it to illustrated the progression from infancy to independence. I'll have to see if I can tie it in better with my present site or come up with something different.

      I don't give my name on the site. I'm not really sure what my present employer would think about my present site. Can I establish trust without letting people know exactly who I am? Would an alias work?

      Should I focus just on Speech Sounds or expand to Speech Therapy? If I add information on other areas of Speech Therapy such as language development, stuttering, social skills, etc. then I could make an nice general intro about the importance of working on speech and language development at home. and make my "Working on Speech Sounds" a separate page. Would all of this extra content help with rankings? Would it be distracting if my main goal is to sell the Speech Sound Programs?


      Thanks again for the ideas
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11369954].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author savidge4
        Originally Posted by Frznrth View Post

        I don't give my name on the site. I'm not really sure what my present employer would think about my present site. Can I establish trust without letting people know exactly who I am? Would an alias work?
        You can.. its just not as easy. At the very least if you have credentials you would want to post those somewhere. I would NOT use a fake name for something like this... it could come back to bite you later. Might be worth the communication with the current employer in a hypothetical sense to see where they stand.

        Originally Posted by Frznrth View Post

        Should I focus just on Speech Sounds or expand to Speech Therapy? If I add information on other areas of Speech Therapy such as language development, stuttering, social skills, etc. then I could make an nice general intro about the importance of working on speech and language development at home. and make my "Working on Speech Sounds" a separate page. Would all of this extra content help with rankings? Would it be distracting if my main goal is to sell the Speech Sound Programs?
        Me personally.. I look long term with projects.. so start with Sounds, but work with the idea that you will be adding more later... so you want to ensure that the added topics are easy add ins in terms of navigation etc.

        Extra content that is close targeted is always value added. by showing the speech therapy topics as well, you are again displaying authority on the subject you are primarily focusing on.
        Signature
        Success is an ACT not an idea
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11370285].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frznrth
    Thank for all the good advice.

    I just switched hosts. I'll set up a non gmail email.

    I tried to increase continuity by changing the tag line and tittle of the home page and moved my credentials closer to the top. I also added some statements that I hope motivate parents to act. I'd appreciate another look to let me know if I'm on the right track.

    I'll also add in more content besides speech sounds. As long as I keep it well organized I can't see it hurting.

    If I sell my speech programs my boss is going to say I'm in a conflict of interest. Likely just a slap on the wrist but I like to lay low. I could likely get away with selling ads but I don't know if I'd ever get enough traffic to make this worthwhile. I do list my speech programs on a teacher resource site without my name. I sell a few occasionally. I am hoping my own site would generate more sales and increase my profit margin. I guess time will tell.

    Would a year if I continue to follow your good advice be enough to see if this could be more than a hobby?

    Thanks again.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11370307].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by Frznrth View Post

      Thank for all the good advice.

      I just switched hosts. I'll set up a non gmail email.

      I tried to increase continuity by changing the tag line and tittle of the home page and moved my credentials closer to the top. I also added some statements that I hope motivate parents to act. I'd appreciate another look to let me know if I'm on the right track.

      I'll also add in more content besides speech sounds. As long as I keep it well organized I can't see it hurting.

      If I sell my speech programs my boss is going to say I'm in a conflict of interest. Likely just a slap on the wrist but I like to lay low. I could likely get away with selling ads but I don't know if I'd ever get enough traffic to make this worthwhile. I do list my speech programs on a teacher resource site without my name. I sell a few occasionally. I am hoping my own site would generate more sales and increase my profit margin. I guess time will tell.

      Would a year if I continue to follow your good advice be enough to see if this could be more than a hobby?

      Thanks again.
      Site looks pretty good, but as others have said a free blog isn't a good long term platform.

      Free blogs can have viral issues.

      SiteSell, if you want a private forum, and be led by the hand, and can afford the odd $30+ a month, and don't mind having limited display, etc options.

      Hostgator, if you want 100% control over the display, don't mind jumping in the deep end, and can get one to 10 sites for $10 a month.

      But there is no forum, but a very good help section, although if you are installing software and need to go into C Panel to change the logs, or add something, then you may need to research it.

      And you can add a blog, or attach one to one of your sites, (l attached one, since it is free, or doesn't add to your allowance amounts).

      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11370350].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dilipcybex
    Good things first. It was a good suggestion to choose a responsive website. It works well with PC, tablet and smart phone screen. The font, layout etc are also good


    The page loading was fine for me. It should do well in that part as well. Nice to see that you have an SSL certificate as well


    The only thing that would improve in my view point is the domain name. A smaller domain name would have been easier to remember
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11370329].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frznrth
    Thanks.
    I went with SiteGround. If this isn't a good choice let me know. I have 30 days to switch.

    They can't move my present theme over so that will change. Any suggestions? Would something woocommerce friendly be good? Better choices than woo?

    My domain is long. I was hoping it would help SEO if I used a possible search term. Not helpful?

    Glad to hear it doesn't look too bad so far.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11370420].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author tagiscom
      Originally Posted by Frznrth View Post

      Thanks.
      I went with SiteGround. If this isn't a good choice let me know. I have 30 days to switch.

      They can't move my present theme over so that will change. Any suggestions? Would something woocommerce friendly be good? Better choices than woo?

      My domain is long. I was hoping it would help SEO if I used a possible search term. Not helpful?

      Glad to hear it doesn't look too bad so far.
      Welcome, and no your name isn't that long, my one was,...toy-and-game-inventor-success.com, (l won't make that active since there is advertising on the site).

      And l got quite a few kw,'s indexed by Google, including the primary kw, or domain name one or course.

      That site made peanuts, but l keep hanging onto it for some reason?

      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11370467].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frznrth
    Thanks for the vote for the longish name.

    Sorry to hear your site made peanuts. My pipe dream is to someday make enough to supplement me sitting on a beach in retirement - realistically it would supplement the occasional cold beer - but that's not a bad thing either. I'll take what I can.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11370506].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rayhansunny1
    You have a great website indeed.
    PageSpeed Score
    (93%)

    YSlow Score
    (65%)

    Page Details

    Fully Loaded Time
    1.3s

    Total Page Size
    761KB

    Requests
    54
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11371912].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Frznrth
      Thanks - I'm not sure what those numbers mean but I hope they are good ones. I am going to try to make it load as fast as possible.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11372040].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
    Two serious recommendations:

    1. Use your name. This sign-off SLPatHome thing doesn't work for me. I would never buy because it looks like you're hiding something, and it makes zero sense to me why you would do that. This isn't affiliate marketing or selling risque products.

    2. Make a list of 20 local professionals in your area who understand what you do and can refer clients to you. Go speak with them. Referrals from other professionals are the best qualified appointment generators you'll find in your field. The biggest problem with leadgen is not competition: it's that those who would refer to you don't even know you exist. Some people will refer to you just because they know you exist...and will start doing so within 24 hours of knowing you.

    When you're done that, make a list of another 20 and repeat. Keep doing that.

    Why this works is they already understand what you do and all the jargon that goes with it. When they refer someone, all that rapport and trust they've already built with the person is leveraged...and transferred to you. You won't have to explain everything in detail to new patients coming in this way: they'll do what needs doing because they were told to by the expert they trust.



    Urgghhh here are a couple more:

    3. Get rid of that "Great Sites" / "Sites I Rely On" page. It's what's called a "leak"--people leave your site from there and never come back. Turn it into a branded pdf or membership page in return for signing up to your list or creating a membership account.

    4. No distinct Call To Action. Where's your offer? Bland design, nothing stands out..."talk to me" does not work. Get a clear offer and make it stand out on the page.


    BONUS...

    5. Put something into the blue Attention Getter banner at the top of the page or get rid of it. It says "ADD ANYTHING HERE OR JUST REMOVE IT" and screams "Templated Site!"

    ...bet you didn't even see that there, did you ;-)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11372022].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frznrth
    Jason - thanks for looking at my site and your honest feedback. Exactly what I am looking for.

    Use my name. I'm not sure if the SLPatHome thing will fly or not. But If my employer finds out I am selling what I give away for free at work I don't think they would be happy. Most SLPs who have their own sites are in private practice - I work for a government.

    Referral from professionals. All most all of the SLPs I know also work for the same government agency. They aren't going to tell people to go to my site. I think my biggest referral source will be word of mouth via facebook or however happy mom customers communicate with each other. If I can get a blogger or some "news" story to pick me up I think that would be a major plus.

    Getting rid of my leak. I'm not sure about this. I can see your point where people might leave. Hopefully though they would come back to buy my product. It is a bit unique. Does a Sites I Rely on make it seem like I'm doing all I can to help parents get the info they need?

    Membership. I thought about this but I would need to be turning out lots of content
    to send them or have so much useful stuff on my site for "members only". I've know of a couple of SLP sites that do each. I don't want to be constantly sending out stuff and I don't have enough to make a members area. Ideally Id like to get this set up to the point where it needs little of my time. Not a great attitude but I don't have much time to spare at this point in my life.

    Call to Action - I know this needs work. I cleaned up my front-page script last night. I think it has enough to show parents the importance of what I offer I'm just not sure yet how to put in a "hook". I want to balance being "nice and friendly" and don't want to come off too "YOU NEED TO BUY THIS". I'll work on it.

    No - I didn't realize that garbage was at the top. Will definitely get rid of it.

    Thanks again for all the help.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11372056].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
      Originally Posted by Frznrth View Post

      Jason - thanks for looking at my site and your honest feedback. Exactly what I am looking for.

      Use my name. I'm not sure if the SLPatHome thing will fly or not. But If my employer finds out I am selling what I give away for free at work I don't think they would be happy. Most SLPs who have their own sites are in private practice - I work for a government.

      Referral from professionals. All most all of the SLPs I know also work for the same government agency. They aren't going to tell people to go to my site. I think my biggest referral source will be word of mouth via facebook or however happy mom customers communicate with each other. If I can get a blogger or some "news" story to pick me up I think that would be a major plus.

      Getting rid of my leak. I'm not sure about this. I can see your point where people might leave. Hopefully though they would come back to buy my product. It is a bit unique. Does a Sites I Rely on make it seem like I'm doing all I can to help parents get the info they need?

      Membership. I thought about this but I would need to be turning out lots of content
      to send them or have so much useful stuff on my site for "members only". I've know of a couple of SLP sites that do each. I don't want to be constantly sending out stuff and I don't have enough to make a members area. Ideally Id like to get this set up to the point where it needs little of my time. Not a great attitude but I don't have much time to spare at this point in my life.

      Call to Action - I know this needs work. I cleaned up my front-page script last night. I think it has enough to show parents the importance of what I offer I'm just not sure yet how to put in a "hook". I want to balance being "nice and friendly" and don't want to come off too "YOU NEED TO BUY THIS". I'll work on it.

      No - I didn't realize that garbage was at the top. Will definitely get rid of it.

      Thanks again for all the help.
      I am a proven Conversion expert. Listen to or ignore me as you will...people have paid a lot of money to learn things like those I recommended.

      Get rid of the leak. Turn it into a lead magnet. Get an autoresponder, have the lead magnet up as the bribe for them opting in, and send subscribers an indoctrination email sequence concluding with your call to action.

      You are in the business of SELLING.

      Don't like that? Too bad. You have to sell.

      That doesn't mean manipulating people...but it does mean showing them things and getting them to react.

      If you are uncomfortable with that, it's probably best not to proceed.

      Your call to action can be as simple as "Book a 15-minute assessment with me". Is that uncomfortable or salesy weirdoish or unfriendly? The site is not doing that now.

      Speaking of which...the site is a Conversion tool. It has one job, which is to filter visitors In or Out and convert those who are qualified In to an appointment with you.

      So many people are unclear on this concept.

      Sitting behind a website and hoping to make a living is not a good idea in your position. You aren't selling trinkets.

      Do not expect your site to get people to hand you money. Use it to book qualified appointments. Use the appointments to sign up clients.

      Other SLPs is not who I said for you to identify and visit. Other experts who refer people to SLPs. That's your target. No, they are not going to tell people to go to your site. They're going to direct people to CALL you. Which I would rather have any day.

      Happy Moms...OK. If that's what you have to use as your marketing method then get using it. Video testimonials. Start getting them.

      Using just your first name is better than the lingo you have up there now. Have those recording testimonials use that.

      Testimonials are to be designed. Where were they before they found you? How did you help them? What were the results, where are they now after working with you? That's the format. Do not let people do whatever they want and ramble on. Design it.

      Post the videos on the site. Keep adding them. Develop a preponderance of evidence.

      Get this book, read and apply it (NOT an affiliate link):
      https://www.amazon.com/No-B-S-Price-.../dp/1599184001

      In particular look for "the hidden price of Free."

      You asked for advice. I am giving you proven, expensive advice. Look at the difference of the details I provided in comparison to what others said. And you are saying, "Well, I don't know..." It's like Gordon Ramsay telling a restaurateur how to fix their broken business, and the chef pushing back. When an expert gives you advice, act on it.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11372068].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Frank Donovan
      Originally Posted by Frznrth View Post

      Use my name. I'm not sure if the SLPatHome thing will fly or not. But If my employer finds out I am selling what I give away for free at work I don't think they would be happy. Most SLPs who have their own sites are in private practice - I work for a government.
      This is your problem. Are you trying to keep your online activity a secret from your employer? What restrictions do you have on selling any of the information you use in your day job?

      There's no point anyone here advising you on how to become a successful speech therapy consultant unless that's a route you're planning to take.
      Signature
      Write a wise saying and your name will live forever. (Author unknown)

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11372073].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jason Kanigan
        Originally Posted by Frank Donovan View Post

        This is your problem. Are you trying to keep your online activity a secret from your employer? What restrictions do you have on selling any of the information you use in your day job?

        There's no point anyone here advising you on how to become a successful speech therapy consultant unless that's a route you're planning to take.
        I agree with you that it is a serious problem, but not insurmountable.

        First name, last initial (which I mistakenly assumed was Pat until now...silly brain pattern maker) should be fine. Are tons of people in your industry looking, OP? Are they spying on you? Probably not.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11372076].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frznrth
    Thanks both Frank and Jason. I know your advice is valuable and I definitely appreciate it. I will have a look at the book. This all is a big learning curve for me. I will be implementing what I can as I go.


    I'm not so interested in being a "successful SLP consultant". I just want to give parents some good advice, answer a few questions and yes sell some speech programs. I have no delusions of living off this site. Enough to be able to sit on a beach a few times a year would be nice but I'm happy if if it pays for itself and gives me a "hobby".


    My employer has nothing against me selling ideas or service as long as it is "outside of my coverage area" - a couple of hundred square miles. I'm not sure what they would have to say about my site but I'd rather not make life complicated by asking. If I did go public I guess I could say something like if you live ____ come on by for free.


    It is all defiantly a work in progress.


    Thanks again for your time and advice.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11372080].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bersamasaya
    I think you need building link and add new content regularly. Focus on creative story and ask visitor to direct call on you
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11372946].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frznrth
    Thanks. I have heard that links with other sites are important for SEO. Does continual new content also help?

    Can you elaborate on what a "creative story" would look like for my site?

    Visitors are welcome to email me or contact me through comments but I'm not thinking phone calls would be something I'd want to entertain. Thanks for the thought though.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11372954].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DURABLEOILCOM
    You should have a video like a white board animation explaining the issue and how you can help also add quality Infographics. Start an email marketing list as well.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11373097].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frznrth
    Thanks. I'm sure some sort of video could be helpful. I've see ones that demo therapy with kids. I'll definitely think about that. I'm afraid a whiteboard animation is way beyond me.

    I'm not so sure about marketing through email. I'm in a few of those lists from other speech therapy sites. I frankly get sick of them pushing their products, even if they are good ones - gets to be spammy.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11373292].message }}
  • I am far from an expert on site design and building but I can offer this. Your site is a little bland and lacks some form of pop within it. Brighten it up a little and add some color and you should be ok. Again, I am a new internet marketer myself so I am by no means an expert. I just joined the forum yesterday and I already have read some awesome, useful posts for beginners. Keep working on your site as I am currently doing and plan for success. That is what I am doing in these early stages.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11373652].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Frznrth
    Thanks. I agree it's too plain. I'm wanting to keep it "clean" but some colour or pop is definitely needed.
    Good luck with your endeavours.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11373854].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nirajan
    Here are my quick suggestions,

    1. Get a good domain name
    2. Enable SSL (Https) - I use Cloudflare, its free
    3. Get a responsive theme/template for the site
    4. Host on your own server/cloud
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11375446].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics