New Bloggers Make it Too Complicated, K.I.S.S.

12 replies
Hi all,

I wanted to post here and try to help some of the beginners out. I remember back when I was new to blogging and had no idea what I was doing. It can be overwhelming and it can seem like there are too many things to do and not enough time to do them all. However, it doesn't have to be so complicated.

Outside of the absolute basics, which you can find in my signature (free, don't worry).

There are a few other tips I would like to provide.

1. Create a plan and stick to it

By this, I don't mean create just a plan to write a blog post a week or one every two days. While the content is vital, you need to use that content properly, too. You need a marketing plan. Some of the things I include in mine are:
  • Share on all social platforms
  • Create multiple tweets and schedule them for later dates
  • Message anybody I mentioned in the post to let them know about it
  • Link back to the post in good, real blog comments on other blogs
  • And More!

Having a plan to implement for every blog post makes a huge difference and will get you to more subscribers and traffic faster.

2. Expect it to take at the very minimum 6 months to seek decent traffic/subscriber numbers

Too many new bloggers quit because they don't see results fast enough. It takes 50 to 100 good blog posts, all marketed well, to see much of any traffic or subscribers when you're first starting out. Yes, you can get lucky, but you should never aim for luck to be the deciding factor between your success and failure. Instead, aim for each blog post to be a small traffic generator.

I like to think every blog post I create will provide about 100 visitors per month for me. While many will provide more, this keeps me going and helps me realize if I create 100 posts, I will have 1,000 visitors per month. Then, it just becomes a numbers game, the more you produce (high quality, of course) the more traffic you will get.

3. Don't be intimidated by the writing

So many new bloggers get intimidated by the writing process. It doesn't need to be difficult. Make the research easy by using Google and the top 5 to 10 results as your sources. Then, just write as you would talk about the subject to someone. Don't worry about perfecting your grammar and making everything sound perfect. Just write and write and write some more.

The first 50 blog posts can be looked at as your practice to help you find your voice. Every blog post will make you a better writer if you put in the time.

I hope this helps at least someone in this forum. Please add your tips and comments below!!

Benjamin Ehinger
#bloggers #complicated #kiss #make
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author David Mee
    Thanks for the advice!

    Very good, solid strategy. I am about to start a blog, so this was great timing!

    Thankyou!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11427124].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author chuckholmes
    All great advice. The only thing I would add is to start outsourcing stuff as quickly as possible to help scale your efforts.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11428525].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author salsym
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Ehinger View Post

    Hi all,

    I wanted to post here and try to help some of the beginners out. I remember back when I was new to blogging and had no idea what I was doing. It can be overwhelming and it can seem like there are too many things to do and not enough time to do them all. However, it doesn't have to be so complicated.

    Outside of the absolute basics, which you can find in my signature (free, don't worry).

    There are a few other tips I would like to provide.

    1. Create a plan and stick to it

    By this, I don't mean create just a plan to write a blog post a week or one every two days. While the content is vital, you need to use that content properly, too. You need a marketing plan. Some of the things I include in mine are:
    • Share on all social platforms
    • Create multiple tweets and schedule them for later dates
    • Message anybody I mentioned in the post to let them know about it
    • Link back to the post in good, real blog comments on other blogs
    • And More!

    Having a plan to implement for every blog post makes a huge difference and will get you to more subscribers and traffic faster.

    2. Expect it to take at the very minimum 6 months to seek decent traffic/subscriber numbers

    Too many new bloggers quit because they don't see results fast enough. It takes 50 to 100 good blog posts, all marketed well, to see much of any traffic or subscribers when you're first starting out. Yes, you can get lucky, but you should never aim for luck to be the deciding factor between your success and failure. Instead, aim for each blog post to be a small traffic generator.

    I like to think every blog post I create will provide about 100 visitors per month for me. While many will provide more, this keeps me going and helps me realize if I create 100 posts, I will have 1,000 visitors per month. Then, it just becomes a numbers game, the more you produce (high quality, of course) the more traffic you will get.

    3. Don't be intimidated by the writing

    So many new bloggers get intimidated by the writing process. It doesn't need to be difficult. Make the research easy by using Google and the top 5 to 10 results as your sources. Then, just write as you would talk about the subject to someone. Don't worry about perfecting your grammar and making everything sound perfect. Just write and write and write some more.

    The first 50 blog posts can be looked at as your practice to help you find your voice. Every blog post will make you a better writer if you put in the time.

    I hope this helps at least someone in this forum. Please add your tips and comments below!!

    Benjamin Ehinger
    Thanks mate for the wise words. Just downloaded 7 Steps to Blogging Success. Will go through it. Hope it will take my blog to the next level.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11428546].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisBa
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Ehinger View Post


    2. Expect it to take at the very minimum 6 months to seek decent traffic/subscriber numbers

    Too many new bloggers quit because they don't see results fast enough. It takes 50 to 100 good blog posts, all marketed well, to see much of any traffic or subscribers when you're first starting out. Yes, you can get lucky, but you should never aim for luck to be the deciding factor between your success and failure. Instead, aim for each blog post to be a small traffic generator.

    I like to think every blog post I create will provide about 100 visitors per month for me. While many will provide more, this keeps me going and helps me realize if I create 100 posts, I will have 1,000 visitors per month. Then, it just becomes a numbers game, the more you produce (high quality, of course) the more traffic you will get.
    This is actually very good to see, so many times I see people who just launch a site and within a few weeks or a month they are complaining they aren't seeing results.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11431094].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author michal125
    Thank you for great advice mate.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11442022].message }}
  • Blogging should reflect your journey of becoming an expert/authority in your niche.

    Nobody will be perceived as an authority on a topic, with just one to ten posts on their blog. The posts you generate will help grow your following over time. Blogging is not some flash in the pan one nightstand that will make you grow rich overnight.

    As mentioned in the opening post, you should've developed a long term marketing plan to promote each blog post. Don't just assume the right audience will find your post. You still have to be actively promoting and advertising each new blog post to ensure that your intended target markets are engaging with each new blog post.

    Blogging is a a long term strategy to make money online.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11442054].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Benjamin Ehinger
      Originally Posted by chuckholmes View Post

      All great advice. The only thing I would add is to start outsourcing stuff as quickly as possible to help scale your efforts.
      I agree, depending on the blog. If it's a blog about your specific journey, it wouldn't be easy to outsource.

      Originally Posted by ChrisBa View Post

      This is actually very good to see, so many times I see people who just launch a site and within a few weeks or a month they are complaining they aren't seeing results.
      I was that person once, then I woke up and realized get rich quick schemes don't really exist. I love how we, as a society, often think someone hit it big overnight because we didn't see the years of blood, sweat, and tears put into getting where they are today.

      Originally Posted by michal125 View Post

      Thank you for great advice mate.
      You're welcome!

      Originally Posted by Internet Trillionaire View Post

      Blogging should reflect your journey of becoming an expert/authority in your niche.

      Nobody will be perceived as an authority on a topic, with just one to ten posts on their blog. The posts you generate will help grow your following over time. Blogging is not some flash in the pan one nightstand that will make you grow rich overnight.

      As mentioned in the opening post, you should've developed a long term marketing plan to promote each blog post. Don't just assume the right audience will find your post. You still have to be actively promoting and advertising each new blog post to ensure that your intended target markets are engaging with each new blog post.

      Blogging is a a long term strategy to make money online.
      100% dead on!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11442407].message }}
  • Well explained and on point. Thank you for sharing your strategies. This is a good guide for beginners.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11445212].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author spartan14
    Yea i am agree to may people overcomplicate with writing coment ,they dont know what to do etc
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11446451].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author digital55
    Great post. I agree, don't be intimidated and just keep practicing your writing. The more you write, the better you will get at it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11457380].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics