Hiring help... Any Testing Sites?

10 replies
Hello all, I'm been building out my sites, and they are finally getting nice traffic and signups for my authority sites. I'm at at point where I need to hire someone full/part time, I just can't keep up with some of the lower level items/task... plus I'm starting to need more dev work for my sites.

I've done a mild google search, but would really like to hear from some of you seasoned warriors if you are using any type of Testing services/site before hiring (VA's, PHP Dev and the like)?

Post what you use or have seen.
#hiring #outsourcing #sites
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Test them yourself by starting with a few small tasks/jobs - try several freelancers and see which ones work best for you. On freelance sites pay more attention to the ratings and the reviews than to " cheaper than everyone else"....
    Signature

    Saving one dog will not change the world - but forever changes the world of one dog.
    ***

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11479338].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jmosticc22
    I have had a few tasks done for me through VAs on Fiverr, not sure about testing but generally the best ones are fast, keep lines of communication open and cost a little bit more than the others.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11479350].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dave_hermansen
    We use Agents of Value and UpWork for hiring VAs. And, like Kay King intimated, we give them small tasks to prove themselves and monitor them closely at the beginning to make sure they are doing things correctly. You'll surely get some duds but when you find good VAs, hold onto them and pay them more than the average VA.
    Signature
    StoreCoach.com- Learn How to Dropship the Right Way - Buy & Sell Websites - Partner with Coach
    My PROVEN ecommerce process, as seen on: Fox News, the NY Times & Flippa
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11479362].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AnotherTime
    Thanks for the replies all. I have used 3rd party sources, but looking for higher someone with more skill sets in php full time (not contract)...I know barely enough. Would like to find a service where I can have them do some type of tests that are way beyond what I would know.



    I know some of the 'big' tech recruiters will have them tested in house... just wondering if there is something readily available.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11479704].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dave_hermansen
      Originally Posted by AnotherTime View Post

      Thanks for the replies all. I have used 3rd party sources, but looking for higher someone with more skill sets in php full time (not contract)...I know barely enough. Would like to find a service where I can have them do some type of tests that are way beyond what I would know.



      I know some of the 'big' tech recruiters will have them tested in house... just wondering if there is something readily available.
      You could check indeed.com for a full time PHP developer or, again, you could use UpWork (you can hire one-time, part time or full time people there).
      Signature
      StoreCoach.com- Learn How to Dropship the Right Way - Buy & Sell Websites - Partner with Coach
      My PROVEN ecommerce process, as seen on: Fox News, the NY Times & Flippa
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11480077].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author MSutton
      Originally Posted by AnotherTime View Post

      Thanks for the replies all. I have used 3rd party sources, but looking for higher someone with more skill sets in php full time (not contract)...I know barely enough. Would like to find a service where I can have them do some type of tests that are way beyond what I would know.

      I know some of the 'big' tech recruiters will have them tested in house... just wondering if there is something readily available.
      I will assume you are in the Western world since you have not indicated otherwise...


      You need to sit down with an accountant who specializes in small business and discuss with them if hiring an employee is a sound decisions over hiring a independent contractor in your current situation. If you are making enough consistent revenue and profit to want to hire and employee, then you are making enough to get expert advice before making such a big move as hiring and employee. If not, then look into contractors. Hiring employees is nothing to take lightly.

      You are saying that you want to hire someone as an employee, not for contract work. OK. But can you offer that employee the pay and benefits they can get at a larger company? Not to mention, can you afford the taxes that go along with hiring employees and all the other bureaucratic headaches? I'm not saying you have to be able to offer what google offers employees, but the way western economics are, employees need more than just a paycheck.

      If you can't offer that employee benefits and decent pay, you will be forever a revolving door for developers who are "in between" jobs.

      Most independent contractors usually work harder and quicker than employees and produce better outcomes because they have "skin in the game" (they run their own business and usually because they want to be independent). Western employees tend to have a different outlook because, even though they could be fired and lose their job for not performing, they seem to act and work like they have no "skin in the game" a lot of the time, even though they do. This partially stems from the fact that they know they can be fired or laid-off at any point, among other things.

      You say that you are "finally" getting "nice traffic and signups". I will guess that means you are making money, but that alone means nothing because it's too vague and subjective.

      Oh, and never rely on a recruiter's testing of a developer. Their job is to place as many people in a job as possible. They will tell you what you want to hear just to "make a sale". Most job recruiters are just one step above "used car salesman" on the trustworthiness scale. If you want a warm body, they will provide you with as many as you need. Anything more and you will have to shell out the big bucks for a good recruiting firm, who may not even take you on as a client in the first place.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11480115].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author AnotherTime
    Thanks for you comments and reply.


    As my question still hasn't been answered.... no one has any suggestions?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11481511].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author dave_hermansen
      Originally Posted by AnotherTime View Post

      Thanks for you comments and reply.


      As my question still hasn't been answered.... no one has any suggestions?
      Apparently, you question HAS been answered ... nobody is using a "testing service/site" because it is not a good idea. My goodness, how long can it possibly take to review candidates, yourself? Do you really want to turn that over to someone else who almost always has a financial incentive to push anybody - qualified or not - to you?
      Signature
      StoreCoach.com- Learn How to Dropship the Right Way - Buy & Sell Websites - Partner with Coach
      My PROVEN ecommerce process, as seen on: Fox News, the NY Times & Flippa
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11481678].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author AnotherTime
        Originally Posted by dave_hermansen View Post

        Apparently, you question HAS been answered ... nobody is using a "testing service/site" because it is not a good idea. My goodness, how long can it possibly take to review candidates, yourself? Do you really want to turn that over to someone else who almost always has a financial incentive to push anybody - qualified or not - to you?

        Never said I was having someone decide for... looking for a service to help ME make my one decisions.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11481690].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author NetMan
    Originally Posted by AnotherTime View Post

    Hello all, I'm been building out my sites, and they are finally getting nice traffic and signups for my authority sites. I'm at at point where I need to hire someone full/part time, I just can't keep up with some of the lower level items/task... plus I'm starting to need more dev work for my sites.

    I've done a mild google search, but would really like to hear from some of you seasoned warriors if you are using any type of Testing services/site before hiring (VA's, PHP Dev and the like)?

    Post what you use or have seen.
    Hello there,

    Been doing development on the Internet for more than 20 years, and most of the time with only a few clients at the time because I can take charge of the entire marketing technology needs for them. Over the time clients grow as well as their needs, so then I need to hire all kind of talents to build the required teams in order to provide them their monthly digital marketing services needs. I do not know of any service / site that exists that will do some "testing before hiring" for you if this is somewhat the question you ask. But, yes, for sure, of course I PREPARE and make all applicant candidates go through the test, which is made to reveal much more than just the actual skills, before hiring anyone and that is for any department. Start by thinking of exactly what will the tasks for that new hiring, then elaborate and list the skills you absolutely want her/him to have and also list what would be an asset or a plus. Now, think, prepare, create a specific test you will have each one of the applicants to go through. Make it so that it answers your questions. Then go to the mentioned websites where you can find tons of freelancers and post the job offer, and never forget that the message on the posting a job must be like you are SELLING THE BEST PRODUCT IN THE WORLD. Yes, recruiting is a sale.

    Best regards,
    Andy
    Signature
    READY FOR A COMPLETELY NEW WEBSITE IN 2019? We are rebuilding our Agency Service and we OFFER a HUGE 37% DISCOUNT on all design packages. Only 5 COUPONS AVAILABLE so BE QUICK!

    * ClickFunnels Alternative Anyone?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11481728].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics