Hello, New Member; Got any advice?

by Gaske
12 replies
Hello to everyone, I've recently joined WF and I have to say after reading a few posts, its quite a cool community.

I can honestly say I'm a newbie in the whole internet money making scene but I'd love to start and that's why I'm here; and am asking for anyone's advice where to start.

Goal: To make $1500/month passive income until the end of the next 3 months.

I've read a lot of books on marketing, wealth, strategies, and investing. Recently I finished Rich Dad Poor Dad. I've also watched hundreds of youtube videos and read hundreds of blogs and articles about passive income. My point is, I am tired of reading about everyone else's success and want to start my own journey.

So please feel free to leave a comment where you think I should start to achieve my goal, I'm opened to all ideas. I'd also like to hear about your journey, where and how you started and what you do now.

P.S I've recently been interesting in Fiverr arbitrage, Website flipping, Stocks, REITs and Blog sites. Also startup finance isn't an issue to me, I prefer the idea of making money rather than holding it.
#advice #member
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author kilgore
    My advice: stop thinking of yourself and start thinking about others.

    I don't mean this is some lovely-dovey kumbaya sense, but from the very self-interested (selfish even!) perspective that outside of your close friends and family nobody really gives a crap what you want. If you start an online business -- and don't kid yourself: if you're looking to enter the world of "internet marketing", that's exactly what you'll be doing -- the people who are going to decide whether your $1500/month goal is realistic or just a fantasy are going to be your customers. And what they want is something that's going to make their lives better.

    What are you going to do for them? Why should they buy from you, visit your website, read your emails, click on your ads or do whatever else it is that puts money in your pocket instead of buying from someone else, reading someone else's emails, or clicking on someone else's ads?

    You've gotta have a reason for being in business. And that reason can't revolve around you and what you want.

    So you want $1500/month in passive income. Where does that number come from? Is that what you need/want to survive? Or is that a number based on what you think the market will bear for the types of products or services you'll be providing? And how are the books you've read going to help your customers? Does the knowlege you've acquired set you apart from the competition? Or has it just filled your head with a fantasy about how easy it is to make money online?

    Listen. I'm not trying to be discouraging. But right now all you've got is a dream. And while dreams can be fun, they don't pay the bills. Still, there's good news. You've got plenty of time. The internet isn't going anywhere. And you seem like you're highly motivated, self directed and intelligent -- which gives you a leg up on 99% of the people who want to "make money online".

    So now take some time and think. Think about others. Think like an entrepreneur, because that's what you're looking to become. What are the skills, assets and talents you bring? What are some needs that you see in the world that either aren't being met or that you feel can be met better? And how can you use your skills, assets and talents to meet those needs.

    Internet marketing isn't rocket science. It's a business like any other. And the wonderful thing about the internet is that the entire world can be your market. But of course that also means that the entire world can be your competition. So you better have something to offer your customers. So think about them and what they want. That's where you start.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11515082].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Joecroyden
      Hi
      Thanks a lot... would you please advise me how to start I am confused
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11516989].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Delboy Trotter
    My point is, I am tired of reading about everyone else's success and want to start my own journey.

    Then stop it and start implanting what you've learned. You'll begin to see light after you get your hands dirty. I believe you can find answers to every question you may have in the forum.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11515084].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sgalla414
    Hey, one small piece of advice I can offer is take your $1500 and break that down in to smaller goals. Unless of course you only want to have one item worth $1500 which you would only need to sell 1/ month. But otherwise break that number down. Are you going to sell 15 products for $100 each or 50 products for $30. That will give you a manageable number to work towards.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11515310].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author PatrickTaylor1
    Hi Gaske,

    Welcome to the forum. There is a wealth of information here that may be of use to you.

    Here is my advice:

    1) Pick a system that appeals to you to earn your income and stick with it for at least six months. Most people dabble with a system and jump from product to product without ever really digging in and getting their hands dirty with it.

    As far as products go, when starting out, I would focus on being an affiliate of another vendor's product, and the best products are those with a recurring monthly commission.

    While you're being an affiliate, refine your OWN business model. Determine what you would like to sell, what your own interests are, and how you can serve others.

    REMEMBER THIS:

    "Our rewards will always be in exact proportion to our service. If you don't like your income, you must devise ways and means of increasing your service." --Earl Nightingale

    All the best,

    Pat
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11515349].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DRP
      Originally Posted by Gaske View Post

      Hello to everyone, I've recently joined WF and I have to say after reading a few posts, its quite a cool community.

      I can honestly say I'm a newbie in the whole internet money making scene but I'd love to start and that's why I'm here; and am asking for anyone's advice where to start.

      Goal: To make $1500/month passive income until the end of the next 3 months.
      You're a self-aware noob and yet your goal is $1500/month within 90 days of passive income. I have a reality check for you....it ain't gonna happen.

      What do you do for work? Assuming that you're in fact employed and have marketable skills, intellectual capital, and financial capital to work with. If you don't, then I'm positive you're going to fail miserably with your pipe dream. And yes, currently, as a noob, your "goal" is nothing but a pipe dream.

      Kilgore gave an excellent response as I only take issue with a few things he said. However, most of that would be semantics and quibbling but I still think are important in this context as you seem extremely limited in your understanding of business and marketing.

      For example, you don't have a lot of time as the figurative marketplace is filled with people and organizations that are smarter than you, more talented than you, have more resources than you, can execute better than you, and can scale faster than you.

      Your "motivation" counts for nothing as it doesn't matter that you've read all these self-help books written by people who were/are selling pipe dreams and unicorns.

      Also, internet marketing isn't a business. It's not even a business model or a distribution channel.

      Do you even know what those terms are, without Googling them? You might have a very high-level overview of business and marketing, but I can determine that it's nowhere near the level of proficiency that you'd need in order to stand any chance in the marketplace.

      Kilgore might not want to discourage you, but I absolutely want to. Why? Because if you actually have any savings available for a business, you will quickly lose it.

      Another pro-tip: disregard 99% of what you read from people here as they are mostly noobs who don't know what they're doing OR they're sharks looking for guppies (like you) OR they're BOTH.
      Signature
      I'd rather tell you an ugly truth than a pretty lie.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11515719].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author kilgore
        Originally Posted by DRP View Post

        Kilgore gave an excellent response as I only take issue with a few things he said. However, most of that would be semantics and quibbling but I still think are important in this context as you seem extremely limited in your understanding of business and marketing.
        Personally, I like quibbling about semantics. Though I do have some questions about some of your points.


        Originally Posted by DRP View Post

        For example, you don't have a lot of time as the figurative marketplace is filled with people and organizations that are smarter than you, more talented than you, have more resources than you, can execute better than you, and can scale faster than you.
        Are you suggesting that the internet is moving fast and is too saturated by established, talented people and organizations for any new player to have a chance at success?

        Originally Posted by DRP View Post

        Also, internet marketing isn't a business. It's not even a business model or a distribution channel.

        I agree wholeheatedly that "internet marketing" in itself isn't a business. But if you're trying to make consistent money onlne (or offline for that matter), what you're talking about doing is developing scalable, repeatable strategies to create, deliver and capture value -- which is to say, you're developing a business model. So how else does one earn consitent revenue?

        Originally Posted by DRP View Post

        Kilgore might not want to discourage you, but I absolutely want to. Why? Because if you actually have any savings available for a business, you will quickly lose it.
        To be fair, I do want to discourage him -- at least if his only goals revolve around his own pocketbook. But if he has can shift his mindset from "If I do steps X, Y and Z then I'll earn $$$" to getting creative about how he can use his own skills, talents, and assets to bring value into other people's lives and how to subsequently monetize the value that he's creating, then maybe (maybe!) he's got a chance at success.

        Certainly it's no guarantee though -- far from it! Some estimates have it that 75% of VC backed startups fail -- and these are companies with money, talent and expertise that some random guy with a pipe dream of making $1500 a month will never have. Still, just because the odds are stacked against success doesn't mean someone shouldn't try. (Of course, nor does it mean that they should.) Ultimately, that's a personal choice that every would be entrepreneur needs to make on their own, though hopefully one informed by fact and reality rather than get rich quick dreams.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11516175].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author DRP
          Originally Posted by kilgore View Post

          Personally, I like quibbling about semantics. Though I do have some questions about some of your points.
          Excellent! Sounds good.

          Originally Posted by kilgore View Post

          Are you suggesting that the internet is moving fast and is too saturated by established, talented people and organizations for any new player to have a chance at success?
          Generally speaking? Yes, absolutely. Things have matured and centralized to the point where a serious person wouldn't (and shouldn't) even bother. There are outliers and exceptions of course, but when it comes to the type of people that the WF attracts, I'll stand behind my position.

          Originally Posted by kilgore View Post

          I agree wholeheatedly that "internet marketing" in itself isn't a business. But if you're trying to make consistent money onlne (or offline for that matter), what you're talking about doing is developing scalable, repeatable strategies to create, deliver and capture value -- which is to say, you're developing a business model. So how else does one earn consitent revenue?
          Effective marketing today is omnidirectional and integrates digital and non-digital mediums. IMO anyone that makes the argument that digital marketing and "traditional" marketing are mutually exclusive - or that digital is better - doesn't know what they're talking about. I laugh too when people talk about "online businesses" because business is business. "Online businesses" need to have an offline footprint as much as brick-and-mortar businesses need to have an online footprint...with very few exceptions, course. (e.g. rubber sole/widget manufacturers) I digress.

          To the point, internet/digital marketing is a business process, it isn't a business model. A company that operates a website might sell products directly, promote offers as an affiliate, recruit affiliates to distribute their own products, offer services, and use free cash flow to acquire other websites. That's a business model, not "internet marketing" or "building a list".

          Originally Posted by kilgore View Post

          To be fair, I do want to discourage him -- at least if his only goals revolve around his own pocketbook. But if he has can shift his mindset from "If I do steps X, Y and Z then I'll earn $$$" to getting creative about how he can use his own skills, talents, and assets to bring value into other people's lives and how to subsequently monetize the value that he's creating, then maybe (maybe!) he's got a chance at success.
          Agreed, but it seems that he's your typical *mark* who's got dreams, shiny object syndrome, and is all hyped up after consuming marketing material from people like Frank Kern or Robert Kiyosaki...who are more than happy to take his money.

          Originally Posted by kilgore View Post

          Certainly it's no guarantee though -- far from it! Some estimates have it that 75% of VC backed startups fail -- and these are companies with money, talent and expertise that some random guy with a pipe dream of making $1500 a month will never have. Still, just because the odds are stacked against success doesn't mean someone shouldn't try. (Of course, nor does it mean that they should.) Ultimately, that's a personal choice that every would be entrepreneur needs to make on their own, though hopefully one informed by fact and reality rather than get rich quick dreams.
          Exactly. Generally speaking, VC backed startups fail so what makes any keyboard warrior here stand any chance? Truth be told, they don't have much of a chance at all. Are there outliers and exceptions? Sure! But again, they're exceptions, not the rule.
          Signature
          I'd rather tell you an ugly truth than a pretty lie.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11516182].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DURABLEOILCOM
    Find a niche that you are passionate about then take action by offering a premium service or product that enriches and improves people's lives.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11516348].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author johnslow
    Stop thinking and start doing what you can and do it continuously. I'm newbie but i started making information product even if not finish
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11516386].message }}
  • Thing 'bout any advice drops here is you got OBSERVABLE STATS in the warrior bio alongside what anywan says.

    So I would wanna look for people been around awhile.

    They been thanked more times than they posted.

    An' they liked stuff along the way.

    Gotta figure plenty people stop by here tryin' to suck The Delooded into their lair.

    So watch always for pearls cast before swine.

    ima sure you ain't no swine, but there be plenty pearls here.
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff together.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11516998].message }}
  • {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11517024].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics