Why Wikipedia though a legitimate source is not taken as reference for assignments?

11 replies
Wikipedia is a good source and there's no doubt about it. But then guidelines say references from wikipedia are not allowed in assignments?
#assignments #legitimate #reference #source #wikipedia
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Moved this to the 'beginner's' section - it's a rather simplistic question.


    If by 'assignments' you are referring to a classroom - that has nothing to do with this forum.


    If you are referring to 'writing jobs' - it's obvious you would not copy wiki or any other site. The articles there are indexed - and though you would not violate copyright - nor would you produce much of value by copying.
    Signature
    Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

    Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548415].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author webcontent
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      Moved this to the 'beginner's' section - it's a rather simplistic question.


      If by 'assignments' you are referring to a classroom - that has nothing to do with this forum.


      If you are referring to 'writing jobs' - it's obvious you would not copy wiki or any other site. The articles there are indexed - and though you would not violate copyright - nor would you produce much of value by copying.
      Do you know what is meant by ASSIGNMENTS??? Heard about Harvard, API etc.. terms? If yes, then you should have not written move it to beginners.... It the question was up to the mark of beginners, mods would have done that..

      Again, it is related to assignment writing which is a form of writing getting popular at very high pace and even copywriting agencies are now getting into it. So, it is good fit for this category.
      Signature

      Source to Outsource SEO services and Wordpress Website Development to help small, medium and large enterprises mark their presence.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548420].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mark Singletary
        Originally Posted by webcontent View Post

        Again, it is related to assignment writing which is a form of writing getting popular at very high pace and even copywriting agencies are now getting into it. So, it is good fit for this category.
        No legit company is offering this. It's a scam in a sense. Students are supposed to write their own assignments not outsource them.

        Mark
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548425].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rose Anderson
    Anyone can edit an article in Wikipedia, that's why it's not considered a legitimate source.

    However, if you go to the bottom of the article you can find references to where the writers found their information. If you go to those links you can often find material that can be used. I mean as reference material, of course, not copied, as Kay has already stated.

    Rose
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548419].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author webcontent
      Originally Posted by Rose Anderson View Post

      Anyone can edit an article in Wikipedia, that's why it's not considered a legitimate source.

      However, if you go to the bottom of the article you can find references to where the writers found their information. If you go to those links you can often find material that can be used. I mean as reference material, of course, not copied, as Kay has already stated.

      Rose
      Right but then why everyone considers Wikipedia to be legitimate? Even the world of SEO looks at it with great respect. When the links are not worthy, don't you think anything should be done to make it more legitimate?
      Signature

      Source to Outsource SEO services and Wordpress Website Development to help small, medium and large enterprises mark their presence.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548421].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    Your definition of 'assignment' may not be the same in every language.

    As Rose mentioned, you can use the references to get more info - but using the info on wiki is not accepted by most who give you 'assignments' as it would not be unique copy and due to Wiki procedures, might be incorrect info as well.


    As for moving the post - I AM a moderator.
    Signature
    Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

    Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548422].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author webcontent
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      Your definition of 'assignment' may not be the same in every language.

      As Rose mentioned, you can use the references to get more info - but using the info on wiki is not accepted by most who give you 'assignments' as it would not be unique copy and due to Wiki procedures, might be incorrect info as well.


      As for moving the post - I AM a moderator.
      Yes, so here you can see there's a valid point! Don't you? Good to know you are a MOD here but don't you think sometimes the point is raised as it is actually required. I spend quite sometime here on this platform and my account is since 2011. For sure for such time period, I am not here to fill it with useless stuff.

      Moreover, I got answer to one of very important queries ( promotion of articles in the form of videos) from Warriorforum only and this has increased my respect for this platform. So, sometimes try to understand the viewpoint... after all we all are warriors.
      Signature

      Source to Outsource SEO services and Wordpress Website Development to help small, medium and large enterprises mark their presence.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548427].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rose Anderson
    As long as anyone can jump on and write whatever they want, it can't be considered 100% accurate.

    Not EVERYONE considers it to be legitimate. Thus, why the people who are giving you assignments don't allow it as a final source.

    Follow the links and they may be from sources that are considered legitimate research material.

    Rose
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548426].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Kay King
    "account since 2011" might not be a big selling point

    2011-2015 - 15 posts total
    Remainder in past 30 days.

    Nothing wrong with that and it's not unusual for members to return and be more active...but the stream of new threads asking for 'opinions' may not be creating the results you want. Good to have a plan to build a reputation or present the service in your signature...but it can backfire, too.



    This is meant as helpful info but do what you will.
    Signature
    Every child needs a pet because every family needs an optimist

    Saving one dog will not save the world....but will forever change the world for one dog.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548443].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author webcontent
      Originally Posted by Kay King View Post

      "account since 2011" might not be a big selling point

      2011-2015 - 15 posts total
      Remainder in past 30 days.

      Nothing wrong with that and it's not unusual for members to return and be more active...but the stream of new threads asking for 'opinions' may not be creating the results you want. Good to have a plan to build a reputation or present the service in your signature...but it can backfire, too.



      This is meant as helpful info but do what you will.
      Forums are for clearing doubts.. but let's not get into it.
      Signature

      Source to Outsource SEO services and Wordpress Website Development to help small, medium and large enterprises mark their presence.

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548460].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
        Originally Posted by webcontent View Post

        Forums are for clearing doubts.. but let's not get into it.

        Forums are for clearing doubts? What if forums are for creating doubts?


        Wikipedia is for clearing doubts? What if Wikipedia creates doubts?

        What if forum members create doubts by asking every forum member in a discussion redundant questions?

        Wikipedia is a good source and there's no doubt about it.

        What if Wikipedia is not a good source and there's no doubt about it?


        Originally Posted by webcontent View Post

        Forums are for clearing doubts.. but let's not get into it.

        Point is..


        You have not cleared any doubts about Wikipedia for anyone in this thread. With that said, your logic is full of doubts.
        Signature

        Entrepreneurs starting out and small businesses without giant staffs and budgets.

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11548475].message }}

Trending Topics