How to market research a consulting service

13 replies
Hi,
I've been trying to figure out my target audience,
I want to help coaches/consultants to build their sales funnels, campaigns, etc.

I don't know how to find out what are their current problems,
What's stopping them from doing it on their own.

I've tried posting questions in relevant FB groups,
and look at amazon books in the reviews section (relevant books),
but I can't seem to find out their problems, pains, and needs.

I need a strategy to get to my ideal client,
talk to him and understand exactly what he needs.

Thanks!
#consulting #market #research #service
  • Profile picture of the author DABK
    Get the contact info for 50 of them and ask them to participate in a survey (the results of which will be publish in PDF format and they'll get a copy). That way, you find out what's bugging them. That way, they find out what their competitors find troublesome and can crow if they're doing better.


    Then send them a questionnaire with whatever questions you need answers to.


    When you have all back, you sort their answers and put the results in a booklet format, print it PDF and, voila`, you're a genius with 50 clients-to-be just waiting to hire you.


    Originally Posted by ShaMan12 View Post

    Hi,
    I've been trying to figure out my target audience,
    I want to help coaches/consultants to build their sales funnels, campaigns, etc.

    I don't know how to find out what are their current problems,
    What's stopping them from doing it on their own.

    I've tried posting questions in relevant FB groups,
    and look at amazon books in the reviews section (relevant books),
    but I can't seem to find out their problems, pains, and needs.

    I need a strategy to get to my ideal client,
    talk to him and understand exactly what he needs.

    Thanks!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11591047].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author cheese1688
      Originally Posted by DABK View Post

      Get the contact info for 50 of them and ask them to participate in a survey (the results of which will be publish in PDF format and they'll get a copy). That way, you find out what's bugging them. That way, they find out what their competitors find troublesome and can crow if they're doing better.


      Then send them a questionnaire with whatever questions you need answers to.


      When you have all back, you sort their answers and put the results in a booklet format, print it PDF and, voila`, you're a genius with 50 clients-to-be just waiting to hire you.
      I wholeheartedly agree to this. It's all about addressing their issues first before they can move forward. A survey sent to them via email could really do wonders for them. Goodluck!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11591203].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ShaMan12
      Thanks alot! Any idea on how can I get their emails?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11591224].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ronnioooo
      Thanks Alot for this
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11591227].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author savidge4
    Originally Posted by ShaMan12 View Post

    Hi,
    I've been trying to figure out my target audience,
    I want to help coaches/consultants to build their sales funnels, campaigns, etc.

    I don't know how to find out what are their current problems,
    What's stopping them from doing it on their own.
    Specifically THIS is a universal problem. You are struggling to find the issues of "coaches/consultants" but the specific doesn't matter the issue will again be universal.

    I would guess <wink> that your target audience has a hard time suggesting they are having issues.

    You just need to find the issues people have with sales funnels and place that into context as it relates to coaches/consultants.
    Signature
    Success is an ACT not an idea
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11591064].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ShaMan12
      Yeah, so what is my way of doing that?
      I need a strategy on finding out those problems,
      so I can address them.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11591223].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author savidge4
        Originally Posted by ShaMan12 View Post

        Yeah, so what is my way of doing that?
        I need a strategy on finding out those problems,
        so I can address them.
        I am going to say this because its how I roll... How are you expecting to help consultants with their Sales funnel if YOU don't understand the issues with a sales funnel?

        But to be a nice guy I will answer your question - the answer is Google is your friend. You have a problem with anything, you just type the problem into Google and Google will generally provide you with 1,000,000 possible answers. Case and point, Search "most common issues with a sales funnel" and there are 6,670,000 results. A life time of reading I am sure!

        Hope that helps...
        Signature
        Success is an ACT not an idea
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11591556].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author ShaMan12
          I do understand the general sales funnels problems, however I want to find my specific audience problems with sales funnels, and that's something I'm not sure a google search will help with.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11592235].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author myob
    Originally Posted by ShaMan12 View Post

    I need a strategy to get to my ideal client,
    talk to him and understand exactly what he needs.
    Pick a problem (any problem) that coaches/consultants face.

    Like ... how to get clients

    Do a case study (real or composite of your targeted audience)

    If you can demonstrate competence and original practical solutions, you will get prospects contacting you by email with more questions.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11591234].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author JPs copy
    As someone who used to cold-call to schedule meetings with business owners, I'm totally not a fan of it.

    However, if you're trying to do market research, I don't think it's a terrible idea to reach out to a few of them to actually sit down and talk to them to try to learn more about their business.

    Usually when I meet someone in-person (or evening Skype), I usually learn more in 10 minutes with them than I do just trying to read about it on my own.

    If it were me, I would put together a list of these guys, and either send them a brief cold email to schedule a quick call. There's a chance your guys might be on LinkedIn, and if they are, try to connect with them and message them.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11591301].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Olly Alexander
    [DELETED]
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11591349].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sats
    I think you're getting bogged down by being too specific. While your target audience is unique to you, their problem is not a unique one.

    Their challenge is lead generation, a challenge faced by every business.

    What's stopping them from doing it themselves is the fact that their skillset is not lead generation. As a consultant, they're skilled in other fields not in sales and marketing although I suspect a few of them are probably doing it themselves.

    Here's where your skill comes in, which is presumably sales and marketing. I'm in favor of some of the answers below but in my experience, collecting contact information can be very time consuming in itself, and can distract you.

    Here's an article I found on Linkedin via Google : The Three Biggest Challenges Facing Coaches and How to Overcome Them All

    Look for it and like somebody below has suggested, use Google.

    More than anything else, get started. You'll learn along the way but its important to get started.

    - Sats
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11592435].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Yvon Boulianne
    Too much thinking not enough action, i still don`t understand why peoples are having so much problem finding clients. I`m being overwelm with answer each time i put my cold email system to work so i have to shut it down a few weeks later..
    Signature
    Stop Struggling With Your Website and Marketing
    30$ / task, pay after done!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11592716].message }}

Trending Topics