Where Do Writing Nerds Hang Out?

20 replies
Where is the "journalist" watering hole for semi-pro and aspiring writer/bloggers?

People who like doing research, doing interviews and then writing a great article or press release.


Naturally, I can look on "Google"...but that will not tell me the "insider" spot. How to tell the lame place from the cool place, or how to find the place full of serious writers verses hobbyists.

Thanks in advance

EDIT:

I guess I need to be clear for those who spend too much time behind a computer.

If I had asked, where is there a good restaurant in town? Your response might be "what kind of food you looking for?"

If I then respond "italian" and you tell me "well you could try looking on Google, Facebook, Yelp" etc...that answer is 100% unhelpful.

I am looking for someone to say "hey, I eat at Johnny's Italian restaurant off of McMullen all the time, its great"


In other words, I need a recommendation of whats good, not general information on how to possibly find something that might work (which I can do)

Thanks again in advance.
#hang #nerds #writing
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
    Create compelling PPC copy for your offer and run ads on Facebook and/or Google.

    If you target correctly, you should get qualified leads contacting you.

    Alex
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9971425].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author igrowyourbiz
    Alex,

    Thanks for the info.

    There are a few reasons I would not do that.

    1) I am anti-PPC for such small things. I do not see the true value in it, when there are much more cost effective ways to get the same results.

    2) I am in prelaunch with my network, so it is not ready for public announcement. As with any venture, you build it first before marketing it. consider this "pre-launch" in IM speak.

    I am specifically looking for a web space (forum?) to network with writers and recruit those with skill or at least potential skill and in need of work.


    Thanks again for the advice.
    Signature
    Get LEGIT! Make 6, 7 or 8 FIGURES Per MONTH
    Just Like The Other Students I Mentor Do!

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9971442].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author laurencewins
    The Warriors for hire section in this forum has lots of writers (including myself) so you can check it out.
    Signature

    Cheers, Laurence. Writer/Editor/Proofreader.
    Visit my site for more info

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9972073].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author joe golfer
    Look for writer's groups on FB and LI.
    Signature
    Marketing is not a battle of products. It is a battle of perceptions.
    - Jack Trout
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9972376].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DABK
    Don't know about writing nerds. I do know where the suave and debonaire writers hang out. But I ain't telling.

    Originally Posted by igrowyourbiz View Post

    Where is the "journalist" watering hole for semi-pro and aspiring writer/bloggers?

    I am looking to recruit some writing nerds for publishing. People who enjoy writing (non-sales copy).

    People who like doing research, doing interviews and then writing a great article or press release.


    Naturally, I can look on "Google"...but that willnot tell me the "insider" spot. How to tell the lame place from the cool place, or how to find the place full of serious writers verses hobbyists.

    Thanks in advance
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9972541].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author igrowyourbiz
      Originally Posted by DABK View Post

      Don't know about writing nerds. I do know where the suave and debonaire writers hang out. But I ain't telling.

      epic
      Signature
      Get LEGIT! Make 6, 7 or 8 FIGURES Per MONTH
      Just Like The Other Students I Mentor Do!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9972562].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author StephenJJackson
    Try, Writers groups on Linkedin....
    Signature
    Stephen Jay Jackson is an Article Content Writer
    Writing the content you need, when you need it!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9973964].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GenMickensJr
    I'm right here looking for you!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9974896].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author igrowyourbiz
      Originally Posted by GenMickensJr View Post

      I'm right here looking for you!
      Gen I lived in Tampa Bay up until a year ago.

      SKYPE ME: iGROWyourBiz
      Signature
      Get LEGIT! Make 6, 7 or 8 FIGURES Per MONTH
      Just Like The Other Students I Mentor Do!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9974971].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Slade556
    I think there are way too many writers out there and an exact reply to your question simply cannot exist! You could look for the on freelance websites, that's your best bet. Writers who have great ratings and great reviews must be good, but then again, writing is subjective.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9974976].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author igrowyourbiz
      Originally Posted by Slade556 View Post

      I think there are way too many writers out there and an exact reply to your question simply cannot exist! You could look for the on freelance websites, that's your best bet. Writers who have great ratings and great reviews must be good, but then again, writing is subjective.
      sooooo you are saying, If I said - hey where do internet marketers hang out...there is no answer? warrior forum could never be an answer because there are way to many and way to subjective?

      Is my question subjective? is the answer? or is it just the reader of the question who is subjective?

      Can I get an exact answer? Maybe not here, but there is an exact answer. I may have to wait for NAB to find out.

      Signature
      Get LEGIT! Make 6, 7 or 8 FIGURES Per MONTH
      Just Like The Other Students I Mentor Do!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9974993].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author angiecolee
    Originally Posted by igrowyourbiz View Post


    I guess I need to be clear for those who spend too much time behind a computer.

    If I had asked, where is there a good restaurant in town? Your response might be "what kind of food you looking for?"

    If I then respond "italian" and you tell me "well you could try looking on Google, Facebook, Yelp" etc...that answer is 100% unhelpful.

    I am looking for someone to say "hey, I eat at Johnny's Italian restaurant off of McMullen all the time, its great"


    In other words, I need a recommendation of whats good, not general information on how to possibly find something that might work (which I can do)

    Thanks again in advance.

    Your tone is bordering on assholish (making fun of people who are at their computers while asking for forums where people are...AT THEIR COMPUTERS?! Whoa! [said in best Keanu Reeves Bill and Ted voice]), but I'll bite.

    1) You're asking copywriters to tell you where the article writers are. I don't really hang out with a lot of article writers (though I do know a lot of copywriters who do both), so I'm not sure I can help with something specific.

    That's kinda like asking people who are interested in French cuisine where the best Italian places are. You're probably going to get, "I don't know, maybe try Olive Garden?" a lot more than you bargained for.

    2) Expanding on point 1: people are giving you their best advice absent "Johnny's Italian". I.e. they're trying to help. If you're not getting the answers you're looking for, it may simply be that you're looking in the wrong place. Continuing to ask the same question as if people are idiots is more reflective on you than the quality of answers you're getting.

    3) If you can find general info, why not post those links here and ask if anyone is familiar with the quality of such group? I get what you're trying to accomplish, but help us help you.

    4) In the spirit of trying to help, I just Googled "Article writing forums" and Google found 100M+ results. I can understand why you're trying to pare it down. Hopefully while you're sourcing leads, you're also checking out some of the top results on your own, because ultimately only you can really find what you're looking for.
    Signature

    Aspiring copywriters: if you need 1:1 advice from an experienced copy chief, head over to my Phone a Friend page.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9975156].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author igrowyourbiz
      I will take that. You are right. Pretty snarky of me. so i will just own it and not rebut. (no pun intended)

      1) I am looking for journalists, not really article writers. I expected that "copywriters" would be all kinds (including those that work for publications) and not merely sales letter cobblers. I have gotten a couple leads though in private.

      2) I only asked once, but agree, this is probably the wrong place.

      3) I don't want to promote other forums here

      4) agreed

      Originally Posted by angiecolee View Post

      Your tone is bordering on assholish (making fun of people who are at their computers while asking for forums where people are...AT THEIR COMPUTERS?! Whoa! [said in best Keanu Reeves Bill and Ted voice]), but I'll bite.

      1) You're asking copywriters to tell you where the article writers are. I don't really hang out with a lot of article writers (though I do know a lot of copywriters who do both), so I'm not sure I can help with something specific.

      That's kinda like asking people who are interested in French cuisine where the best Italian places are. You're probably going to get, "I don't know, maybe try Olive Garden?" a lot more than you bargained for.

      2) Expanding on point 1: people are giving you their best advice absent "Johnny's Italian". I.e. they're trying to help. If you're not getting the answers you're looking for, it may simply be that you're looking in the wrong place. Continuing to ask the same question as if people are idiots is more reflective on you than the quality of answers you're getting.

      3) If you can find general info, why not post those links here and ask if anyone is familiar with the quality of such group? I get what you're trying to accomplish, but help us help you.

      4) In the spirit of trying to help, I just Googled "Article writing forums" and Google found 100M+ results. I can understand why you're trying to pare it down. Hopefully while you're sourcing leads, you're also checking out some of the top results on your own, because ultimately only you can really find what you're looking for.
      Signature
      Get LEGIT! Make 6, 7 or 8 FIGURES Per MONTH
      Just Like The Other Students I Mentor Do!

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9978326].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author dlinq
    Check out iwriter.com they are grate! The problem is quilty articles can be pricey.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9975225].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author nmwf
    There's a subreddit for journalists exclusively: Journalism

    Do note there are significant differences between writing and journalism -- one being cost.
    Signature
    Write comprehensible articles on *any* topic in seconds with First Draft...
    First Draft's: Download | Add-Ons | Templates | Purchase | Support | Affiliates
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9975626].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author srp0987
      There are a lot of sites out there about freelance writing and self publishing.

      A few that I've found:

      -Make a Living as a Writer

      -Be a Freelance Writer

      -All Indie Writers

      Writers also hang out a lot on social media. There are Twitter tags like #amwriting, etc.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9977776].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author angiecolee
    You're one of the few that has the cojones to own it, even when it may be wrong or offensive. Bravo, sir. Just thought it merited mentioning.

    Wish I could have helped more, but hopefully the leads you've received are helping you out.
    Signature

    Aspiring copywriters: if you need 1:1 advice from an experienced copy chief, head over to my Phone a Friend page.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9979057].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author The Copy Nazi
    Banned
    I go away for awhile... hoping this place will get its act together. But - nuh. Have a look. Post after post on blogging, content writing... where can I find a P.A. ?... help writing an ebook... where do writing nerds hang out? ? Ah well. Such is life. But it's a pity this mob don't know the difference. Apparently these days any dope that blogs can claim to be a "copywriter". ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9979367].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Cam Connor
      Originally Posted by The Copy Nazi View Post

      I go away for awhile... hoping this place will get its act together. But - nuh. Have a look. Post after post on blogging, content writing... where can I find a P.A. ?... help writing an ebook... where do writing nerds hang out? ? Ah well. Such is life. But it's a pity this mob don't know the difference. Apparently these days any dope that blogs can claim to be a "copywriter". ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

      I'd hoped you leaving would improve things, but nope. No better, no worse. Though the explanation for what Copywriting is at the top of the forum is a nice start.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[9979821].message }}

Trending Topics