The Power of Vulnerability in Copy (Video)

7 replies
Have you ever acknowledged when you KNOW you're in an abrasive conversation... that's going nowhere!

Or a conversation where you just CAN'T connect -- no matter what you say or do... and your message just gets completely lost?

That's exactly what happens in most sales presentations;

The message gets lost... and simply fails to connect or make an impact.

And thus...

It doesn't convert.

Leaving you at a loss.

"Man, I put everything I have into this VSL! Why the eff doesn't it convert?!?!"

We've all been there. And it SUCKS!

So ask yourself:

"How can I INSTANTLY 'change the conversation'... and establish an INSTANT connection with my ideal prospect?"

And the answer is...

Vulnerability.

Think about this:

A lot of copy "talks down" to prospects. It's SO easy to accidentally do. (I'm doing it a little bit right now. But I'm not talking down. I just care too much. And so it might come across as being heavy-handed. Make sense?)

And when copy has that Talking Down Effect, prospects don't feel your sincerity.

Instead, they feel judged.

Again, it's easy to do.

As a copywriter...

I've written over a hundred different campaigns... in virtually every major niche. And I still struggle with NOT coming across like I'm talking down. That's sort of the negative side of being passionate about what you're selling or writing about.

And what does judgment do?

It creates distance between people, right?

It "accidentally" pushes them away...

Which is why lots of campaigns deal with really high bounce rates.

Because the copy fails to connect, oftentimes due to "the wrong tone." (Which can FEEL elitist to the audience.)

Don't get me wrong...

"Talking down" is far from the ONLY reason a campaign misses the mark. I mean, there are so many nuances is producing a high-converting control. However, this ONE THING can literally make or break your campaign's success; vulnerability matters THAT much.

Okay, now...

Imagine that in-person conversation again; the one where the friction is palpable.

Then imagine yourself revealing something that makes you utterly exposed... or vulnerable.

Can you see it in your mind's eye?

Again... ask yourself:

"What happens when I'm vulnerable, like telling the person I'm talking with something very personal about myself?

It instantly closes the gap in your disconnection, right?

And in a heartbeat, it has the power to completely change the "vibe" of your conversation.

Well...

You can do that in your sales copy too.

It's all about knowing what some of the BIG objections are...

And leveraging your story... or the stories of people you've helped... to create vulnerability... AND LET YOUR PROSPECTS IN!

Here's the catch:

You can't make it up.

I mean, you can. But come on!

There's so much authenticity within you... and available to you... at a moment's notice.

In other words...

If your story can't address and overcome a big objection...

Then GIVE AWAY your product or service to people who NEED it...

And hold their hands, while you compile some amazing stories.

Again, here's the catch...

You have to genuinely help them... and ALWAYS come from that intention.

If you can do that;

If you can spend a month helping people with your solution, keeping in close contact with them... and getting their stories...

You'll have an arsenal of content that can create the vulnerability your campaign absolutely requires to convert.

I have some more to say about it in the video below.

Mark Pescetti

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea2K...ature=youtu.be
#copy #power #video #vulnerability
  • Profile picture of the author copyassassin
    WEARING THOSE DARK SUN GLASSES TALKING ABOUT Vulnerability IS ODD.

    IF I CAN'T SEE YOUR EYES, I CALL BULLSHIT

    Originally Posted by Mark Pescetti View Post

    Have you ever acknowledged when you KNOW you're in an abrasive conversation... that's going nowhere!

    Or a conversation where you just CAN'T connect -- no matter what you say or do... and your message just gets completely lost?

    That's exactly what happens in most sales presentations;

    The message gets lost... and simply fails to connect or make an impact.

    And thus...

    It doesn't convert.

    Leaving you at a loss.

    "Man, I put everything I have into this VSL! Why the eff doesn't it convert?!?!"

    We've all been there. And it SUCKS!

    So ask yourself:

    "How can I INSTANTLY 'change the conversation'... and establish an INSTANT connection with my ideal prospect?"

    And the answer is...

    Vulnerability.

    Think about this:

    A lot of copy "talks down" to prospects. It's SO easy to accidentally do. (I'm doing it a little bit right now. But I'm not talking down. I just care too much. And so it might come across as being heavy-handed. Make sense?)

    And when copy has that Talking Down Effect, prospects don't feel your sincerity.

    Instead, they feel judged.

    Again, it's easy to do.

    As a copywriter...

    I've written over a hundred different campaigns... in virtually every major niche. And I still struggle with NOT coming across like I'm talking down. That's sort of the negative side of being passionate about what you're selling or writing about.

    And what does judgment do?

    It creates distance between people, right?

    It "accidentally" pushes them away...

    Which is why lots of campaigns deal with really high bounce rates.

    Because the copy fails to connect, oftentimes due to "the wrong tone." (Which can FEEL elitist to the audience.)

    Don't get me wrong...

    "Talking down" is far from the ONLY reason a campaign misses the mark. I mean, there are so many nuances is producing a high-converting control. However, this ONE THING can literally make or break your campaign's success; vulnerability matters THAT much.

    Okay, now...

    Imagine that in-person conversation again; the one where the friction is palpable.

    Then imagine yourself revealing something that makes you utterly exposed... or vulnerable.

    Can you see it in your mind's eye?

    Again... ask yourself:

    "What happens when I'm vulnerable, like telling the person I'm talking with something very personal about myself?

    It instantly closes the gap in your disconnection, right?

    And in a heartbeat, it has the power to completely change the "vibe" of your conversation.

    Well...

    You can do that in your sales copy too.

    It's all about knowing what some of the BIG objections are...

    And leveraging your story... or the stories of people you've helped... to create vulnerability... AND LET YOUR PROSPECTS IN!

    Here's the catch:

    You can't make it up.

    I mean, you can. But come on!

    There's so much authenticity within you... and available to you... at a moment's notice.

    In other words...

    If your story can't address and overcome a big objection...

    Then GIVE AWAY your product or service to people who NEED it...

    And hold their hands, while you compile some amazing stories.

    Again, here's the catch...

    You have to genuinely help them... and ALWAYS come from that intention.

    If you can do that;

    If you can spend a month helping people with your solution, keeping in close contact with them... and getting their stories...

    You'll have an arsenal of content that can create the vulnerability your campaign absolutely requires to convert.

    I have some more to say about it in the video below.

    Mark Pescetti

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea2K...ature=youtu.be
    Signature

    The Most Bad-Ass Tax Reduction Strategist for Internet Marketers who HATE paying taxes. See my happy clients

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10254215].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
      Originally Posted by copyassassin View Post

      WEARING THOSE DARK SUN GLASSES TALKING ABOUT Vulnerability IS ODD.

      IF I CAN'T SEE YOUR EYES, I CALL BULLSHIT
      Adam, I like you. I really do. But if you really have nothing better to do with your day than leave a dick-ish comment like that, then you need to get busier.

      Here is being vulnerable for you:

      I'm wearing the sunglasses because I'm in a major lupus flare and I look like I have two black eyes.

      So do you have anything relevant, valid or insightful about this conversation... or do you just want to waste my time?

      Friendship aside... not cool.
      Signature

      Do You Want To Make 5 and 6-Figures A Month As A Freelance Copywriter? My Copywriting System Has Made Over 600 Million Dollars. Discover More

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10254291].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author copyassassin
        WHY DON'T YOU SAY THAT IN YOUR VIDEO.

        IM TRYING TO HELP YOU.

        TO TALK ABOUT BEING VULNERABLE IN YOUR POST, YET YOU REALLY AREN'T EMBRACING THE CONCEPT, THEN GET DEFENSIVE IN YOUR REPLY TO ME.

        MY TIME IS VERY VALUABLE. I THINK YOU ARE VALUABLE TOO.

        YOU ARE WORTH HELPING OUT.

        ALL IM SAYING IS BE CONSIST WITH THE THEME OR TOPIC THAT YOU ARE TRYING TO GET ACROSS.

        AGAIN, IM TRYING TO BE HELPFUL.



        QUOTE=Mark Pescetti;10254291]Adam, I like you. I really do. But if you really have nothing better to do with your day than leave a dick-ish comment like that, then you need to get busier.

        Here is being vulnerable for you:

        I'm wearing the sunglasses because I'm in a major lupus flare and I look like I have two black eyes.

        So do you have anything relevant, valid or insightful about this conversation... or do you just want to waste my time?

        Friendship aside... not cool.[/QUOTE]
        Signature

        The Most Bad-Ass Tax Reduction Strategist for Internet Marketers who HATE paying taxes. See my happy clients

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10254367].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author copyassassin
          JUST READ YOUR POST AGAIN.

          YOUR CONCEPT OF "TALKING DOWN TO", IS WHAT YOU DID TO ME.

          BTW, I DON'T MIND. MY EGO AND SELF WORTH ARE LARGE ENOUGH TO TAKE SOME HEAT.

          YOU THINK I WOULD TRY TO MAKE YOU FEEL BAD?

          YOU THINK I WOULD WASTE MY TIME TRYING TO MAKE YOU FEEL BAD?

          I'M MORE OFFENDED YOU THINK SO LITTLE OF ME.

          NOT SURE WHAT ASSUMPTIONS YOU ARE MAKING

          I JUST WANTED TO SHOW YOUR INCONSISTENCY OF MESSAGE.

          IT'S A VERY SIMPLE FIX.
          Signature

          The Most Bad-Ass Tax Reduction Strategist for Internet Marketers who HATE paying taxes. See my happy clients

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10254381].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
            Originally Posted by copyassassin View Post

            JUST READ YOUR POST AGAIN.

            YOUR CONCEPT OF "TALKING DOWN TO", IS WHAT YOU DID TO ME.

            BTW, I DON'T MIND. MY EGO AND SELF WORTH ARE LARGE ENOUGH TO TAKE SOME HEAT.

            YOU THINK I WOULD TRY TO MAKE YOU FEEL BAD?

            YOU THINK I WOULD WASTE MY TIME TRYING TO MAKE YOU FEEL BAD?

            I'M MORE OFFENDED YOU THINK SO LITTLE OF ME.

            NOT SURE WHAT ASSUMPTIONS YOU ARE MAKING

            I JUST WANTED TO SHOW YOUR INCONSISTENCY OF MESSAGE.

            IT'S A VERY SIMPLE FIX.
            I still love ya Adam. Let me know when rag week is over.
            Signature

            Do You Want To Make 5 and 6-Figures A Month As A Freelance Copywriter? My Copywriting System Has Made Over 600 Million Dollars. Discover More

            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10254392].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author angiecolee
          Originally Posted by copyassassin View Post

          WHY DON'T YOU SAY THAT IN YOUR VIDEO.

          IM TRYING TO HELP YOU.

          AGAIN, IM TRYING TO BE HELPFUL.
          Dude - lose the caps.

          And seriously - he's in the sun.

          He's also given you the real reason in a public forum. Next you're gonna tell me that a blind man/woman wearing sunglasses isn't being vulnerable enough.

          I'm not really getting disingenuous or invulnerable from a dude telling a story facing the sun.
          Signature

          Aspiring copywriters: if you need 1:1 advice from an experienced copy chief, head over to my Phone a Friend page.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10254387].message }}
  • Good post Mark.

    Another way of not "talking down" to prospects.

    Is…stop trying to incessantly sell…sell...sell…to them. (have you any idea just how much people hate it?)

    And the more you do it - the faster they run.

    Instead tell them about all the incredible "research" you did (make it illuminating and interesting).

    And how you found (discovered) what you feel is the ideal and perfect product/service for your people (give all the reasons why - which also handle any all the objections).

    Phrase all this sensibly, tactfully and skilfully (don"t overdo it) and now you have people wanting to buy.

    You've made them feel you are their "friend" with their best interests at heart. They know they can trust you.

    And everything is enjoyable, easy and very importantly - irresistible.


    Steve
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[10254233].message }}

Trending Topics