Who does his work first when creating a copy? the designer or the copywriter?

15 replies
Does the copywriter adjust his writing on the designs he is getting or the other way around? do you wait to get a template and then add your writing to it or you begin writing the copy before that happens?
#copy #copywriter #creating #designer #work
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Raydal
    The copywriter does his work first and then can advice the designer
    on how to support his copy. I've never seen this done the other way
    around. EXCEPT the design is the copy then the words come before
    the design. It has always been so. "Let there be light, and there was
    light".


    -Ray Edwards
    Signature
    The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11370896].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author THEroyseo
      Originally Posted by Raydal View Post

      The copywriter does his work first and then can advice the designer
      on how to support his copy. I've never seen this done the other way
      around. EXCEPT the design is the copy then the words come before
      the design. It has always been so. "Let there be light, and there was
      light".


      -Ray Edwards
      Indeed! However, business owners sometimes hire web designers before copywriters. In those cases, it leads to awkward situations where the copywriter has to adapt to the design or the design will need to be changed.
      Signature

      Nicolas Roy
      Warrior For Hire

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11370906].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Vladimir Mirnii
      I can agree with Raydal. First of all, copywriter creates the content and then the designer takes part, doing his own area of work. In most cases, the copywriter's copies should be previously confirmed by the client and be agreed finally to be further published. It is proved and obvious that relevant high-quality content creation takes a lot of efforts and should be done preferably by professionals.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11376406].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author yukon
    Banned
    Originally Posted by Shanks88 View Post

    Does the copywriter adjust his writing on the designs he is getting or the other way around? do you wait to get a template and then add your writing to it or you begin writing the copy before that happens?

    Why does it matter?

    The writer is still creating the same content.
    Signature
    Hi
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11370909].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Shanks88
      Originally Posted by yukon View Post

      Why does it matter?

      The writer is still creating the same content.
      Hm? if the designer adds more images, wouldn't that require more writing? also the type of images the designer adds might force you to adjust your text. Im talking about sales pages mostly. Some sales pages are very long while others are very short.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11371211].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author yukon
        Banned
        Originally Posted by Shanks88 View Post

        Hm? if the designer adds more images, wouldn't that require more writing? also the type of images the designer adds might force you to adjust your text. Im talking about sales pages mostly. Some sales pages are very long while others are very short.


        That's called revisions and it's up to you If you offer them or get paid for them.

        Communicate with the buyer.
        Signature
        Hi
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11371495].message }}
      • Hellor Shanks88
        Originally Posted by Shanks88 View Post

        Hm? if the designer adds more images, wouldn't that require more writing? also the type of images the designer adds might force you to adjust your text. Im talking about sales pages mostly. Some sales pages are very long while others are very short.
        You are over thinking this. Just research and write your copy. Let the client, graphic designer or layout person sort all that out. They are paying for you to write.

        Chinchilla
        Signature
        SEO Content Marketing Writer
        Online Writing Portfolio
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11371503].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Shanks88
          Originally Posted by ThePromotionalGuy View Post

          Hellor Shanks88

          You are over thinking this. Just research and write your copy. Let the client, graphic designer or layout person sort all that out. They are paying for you to write.

          Chinchilla
          So i write a paragraph or two and a list of benefits and give it to the client? or at least something like that, because it sounds like the copywriter assigns the images too so is he some sort of ux designer as well?
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11371521].message }}
          • Hellor Shanks88,
            Originally Posted by Shanks88 View Post

            So i write a paragraph or two and a list of benefits and give it to the client? or at least something like that, because it sounds like the copywriter assigns the images too so is he some sort of ux designer as well?
            A Copy writer only researches and writes. I know some agencies want copy writers to write and design. That is your call.

            I only research and write. PERIOD! I'm not a graphics person or a webpage designer. And I don't want to be. The only emphasis input I have is if I'm asked. Other than that, I stay out of that cook's kitchen.

            Chinchilla
            Signature
            SEO Content Marketing Writer
            Online Writing Portfolio
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11371541].message }}
  • Depends on the deal.

    Sumtimes, the copywriter person plays Supportin' Actress, wandrin' onstage an' throwin' in her lines so's they echo round the scenery with allure.

    Other times, the copywriter plays Worldbuilder Fiction Gal, definin' the whole show (incloodin' "Scenery TOV").

    Always there is a journey between start point an' end point, an' right at the start who knows what fixed waymarks be on the table?

    So ...

    Go with whatchya got to work with, embellish sweet & creative -- an' don't be so upya own ass you forget actschwl real people gotta go buy the sh*t you promotin' ... an' BASELINE not die.

    Truth is, when people buy in on the finished product, they don't care who in hell does what.
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff togethah.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11370973].message }}
  • Hellor Shanks88
    Originally Posted by Shanks88 View Post

    Does the copywriter adjust his writing on the designs he is getting or the other way around? do you wait to get a template and then add your writing to it or you begin writing the copy before that happens?
    One of my clients is a marketing agency. It comes down to the project and what the agency's client wants.

    Some clients want more bling and imagery. Others want more text/content. Just go with the flow.

    Chinchilla
    Signature
    SEO Content Marketing Writer
    Online Writing Portfolio
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11371334].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author prayosha
    The most surefire way to build a portfolio worthy of showcasing to creative directors is to enroll in ad school, also known as portfolio school.

    Also on Mediabistro
    social media logos
    What Job Seekers Should (and Shouldn't) Include on Their Social Media Profiles
    find-a-job-before-posted
    Here's How to Find a Job Before It's Posted
    Of course, ad school requires the largest investment in your time and money--most offer a 2-year program and run close to what a college degree might cost. But if you can foot the bill, the payoff is definitely worth the ride.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11373656].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author prayosha
    Creative and branding expert Teressa Iezzi dissects the copywriter-designer relationship in her book The Idea Writers: Copywriting in a New Media and Marketing Era:
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11373662].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Samjoohns
    First works a copywriter and then a designer puts the text and creates the design
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11375165].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MargaW
    In my experience, the copywriter starts with a content. However, copy sometimes has to be adjusted after a design is ready (e.g. some sentences shorten). If a company uses a template (for example email template) then it may happen than a copywriter has to adapt the content to the design.
    Signature

    Join the CrazyCall Partner Program and earn a 20% recurring commission

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11375263].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics