Some things you need to know for writing your website content

by WF- Enzo Administrator
22 replies
Again and again, content is king. There's a reason why - it's pretty much the bulk of anyone's website body. Without content, no one would visit a website or use an app. Here are some things you need to know.

Flexibility

Your website will have all sorts of visitors, even those outside your target audience. Your content should still attract your primary audience, while maintaining flexibility towards secondary and tertiary audience or those who simply happen to "drop by" your website. Having an "all-around" web content also increases shareability.

Less is more

And we're talking about concise sentences. Gone are the days when bodies are written so long it would put Edgar Allan Poe to shame. Today's audiences have a very short attention span that even if your content is well-thought and panned out but is several lines long, then people will quickly close that browser tab.

Don't use jargon

Jargons are meant for a closed group of people, not for everyone else. Avoid them. Make sure that the information in your content is understandable even for non-specialists. If you have to write a jargon, explain its context either by inserting parentheses or hyperlinking to another resource which provides further information on that particular jargon.
#content #things #website #writing
Avatar of Unregistered
  • Profile picture of the author Jamell
    Jargon and acronyms make your content more difficult to read. I agree . I noticed that you mentioned having all around content for those visiting your website that is not in your target audience . If I was starting out new I would make sure that my content is more targeted maybe go broad once I build authority in my niche .
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11557698].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author 1Bryan
    Sometimes you want jargon. If you b2b ... jargon is good. It's that "shortcut" that lets them know you are part of their in-group.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11557700].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Andrii Ozemko
    Some time ago I was recommended to leave jargon in article comments like some user left this message. Sometimes jargon-keyword is needed to attract users. Many users who try to search something in Google use jargon.
    Signature
    Smart SEO Auditor - crawler for On-Page SEO audit. Designed for experienced and beginning SEO specialists, webmasters and website owners. Download Free!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11557736].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author DianeBea
    much better to just use simple words to understand clearly.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11557868].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Afshan Bashir
    Banned
    Hello! I need little help with meta title and meta description. Can I write a meta description of more than 156 characters? My website is on wordpress.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11558082].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Andrew Gordon
      @Afshan Bashir:

      If you don't mind getting the ... in SERP then you can write them longer also. But, if you page comes up in the featured snippets of google results and the long description you write is relevant, it may even appear complete.

      However if you get the ... for results in your google search, it will affect your CTR so I'd suggest that you keep the relevant information within the character limits.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11558419].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author max5ty
    Originally Posted by WF- Enzo View Post

    Again and again, content is king. There's a reason why - it's pretty much the bulk of anyone's website body. Without content, no one would visit a website or use an app. Here are some things you need to know.

    Flexibility

    Your website will have all sorts of visitors, even those outside your target audience. Your content should still attract your primary audience, while maintaining flexibility towards secondary and tertiary audience or those who simply happen to "drop by" your website. Having an "all-around" web content also increases shareability.

    Less is more

    And we're talking about concise sentences. Gone are the days when bodies are written so long it would put Edgar Allan Poe to shame. Today's audiences have a very short attention span that even if your content is well-thought and panned out but is several lines long, then people will quickly close that browser tab.

    Don't use jargon

    Jargons are meant for a closed group of people, not for everyone else. Avoid them. Make sure that the information in your content is understandable even for non-specialists. If you have to write a jargon, explain its context either by inserting parentheses or hyperlinking to another resource which provides further information on that particular jargon.
    Thank you for your post...

    but I do disagree on a couple things.

    Yes, there are copywriters that do website content but one of the areas I disagree with you on is the flexibility issue.

    If I'm selling a cure for pot-bellied pigs with gas (example), I could care less if the content is interesting to everybody. I only want to target pot-bellied pig owners and talk directly to them.

    Fat people, skinny people, dumb people...I would have another site that talks directly to them and I couldn't care less if they find my pot-bellied pig articles interesting.

    Another thing...

    jargon is what helps make stuff irresistible. You need to know how to speak the language of the ideal customer you're talking to.

    If I'm interested in potbellied pigs and your article sounds like you have no idea about pot-bellied pigs...I'm not going to listen to you about pot-bellied pigs. I'll go elsewhere.

    Although I've never had a pot-bellied pig, I'm quite sure those that are into those fat little critters have some inside jargon or knowledge that nobody else cares about.

    Other than my thoughts on a couple things, I appreciate you posting because it gives everyone a chance to offer feedback...and I'm tired of typing pot-bellied pigs because my Grammarly had a couple of them hyphenated and a couple as one word, so I'm clueless and too lazy to look up the proper way to type it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11558201].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author savidge4
      Originally Posted by max5ty View Post

      and I'm tired of typing pot-bellied pigs because my Grammarly had a couple of them hyphenated and a couple as one word, so I'm clueless and too lazy to look up the proper way to type it.
      For the record it would be "Potbelly Pig" or "Potbellied Pig"
      Signature
      Success is an ACT not an idea
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11558596].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Sarmen B
    There is a saying - keep it simple stupid. when you write content talk as if your talking to a friend to keep the user engaged.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11558298].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DABK
      What if my clients are simpler than my friends?


      I know, I know, online, even if you're writing for PH.D.-ed people, you should aim for 6th grade level of writing.


      But you should still test, see what works best for the people you're after. Because some simple people ain't that simple, and sin-versa. (Sin-versa, by the way, is the simpler way of saying vice-versa, don't you think? A program for rewriting articles fast suggested it to me years ago and I agree completely and totally.)


      Anyway, jargon can be overused or underused. Like Max5ty said, jargon, among other things, shows you're part of the in-crowd. Which is very important when you sell.


      The issue with the OP's post is that it is too broad, does not take into account that there are many types of content websites require, with different functions. Content that is meant to inform is going to be different than content that is mean to sell or content that is meant to entertain or content that is meant to do a combo of the previous.







      Originally Posted by Sarmen B View Post

      There is a saying - keep it simple stupid. when you write content talk as if your talking to a friend to keep the user engaged.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11558642].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author shanu7
    Banned
    Sometimes Jargons are good, when you are writing for the specific group of people.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11558347].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author stylepick
    You should update your web content after certain period of time based on the user demand. Besides you have to maintain the On Page SEO factors while you are developing your web content.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11558471].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author spartan14
    Clearly ,straight to the point and valuable this are the secret ingredients .You dont need to write a novel on your posts to have great content
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11558551].message }}
  • As a confirmed scrawnyass, I got no idea 'bout potbellied pigs -- but what I DO know is ...

    websites ain't no Drive-By Shootin' experience.

    That's why I can faithfully predict that nowan lookin' in on this informative trail is here bcs they sourcin' dinky noo curtains for their apartment.

    "Shall I run with exotic RED or energizin' ORANGE? Natchrl fibers or hard-wearin' plastic weaves gonna threaten the planet's fyooture dolphins? An' should they mebbe be flame-retardent bcs I can't cook for crap? Aw, see -- here's Warrior Forum!"

    THIS person don't care 'bout WF.

    That's bcs they already scrollin' YOUR IDEAL CURTAINS DAHT.CAHM, slaverin' ovah all the exotic curtain choices till their legs so wet with desire it like they peed 'emselves.

    IDEAL CURTAINS DAHT CAHM is perfectly primed to catch all these curtain-seekin' homebunnies precisely where they at -- thx to an allurin' combo of lush imagry an' delish copy firepowah.

    Same deal is gowin' down ovah at QUIT MY ELDERLY CAT PUKIN' EVRYPLACE DAHT CAHM.

    Point is, unless them curtain hungry decor fiends ALSO GOT a regurgitation-prone cat, there ain't zero reason why they should look in on BOTH SITES.

    For anywan writin' out a website, this is speshly important.

    Drive-by shootin' is for random hustlers with zero af to do.

    Most people end up on websites outta CHOICE, which means their brains come pre-loaded with a whole buncha WANNA WANNA WANNA you gotta deliver on, pretty much instantly.

    Bcs why?

    Since when was the las' time you gave up on seekin' help for your pukin' cat jus' bcs QUIT MY ELDERLY CAT PUKIN' EVRYPLACE DAHT CAHM sounded LOUSY?

    See, cos Chrome also got HELP MY VOMITIN' CAT DAHT CAHM, NO THROW FELINES DAHT CAHM, Your Furniture Zero Feline Innards Daht Cahm, So Well Behaved You'd Think Your Kitty Was A DOG Daht Com, Digest-o-Train Pussy System Daht Cahm, Bowel Manx Daht Cahm, Tabbydominal Daht Cahm etc ...

    Internets means ... evrywan got a pukin' cat gonna find EVRYTHIN' ... INSTANTLY!

    So say sumthin' relevant, smart & juicy -- or butt out.
    Signature

    Lightin' fuses is for blowin' stuff together.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11558665].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author aarathi s
    Content should be unique ,interesting and precise to the point.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11561465].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Subho D
    Website content is one of the most important factors to boost online presence and business sales. Check out the following ways to write proper website content:

    • Write based on your target audience.
    • Write short and simple paragraphs using bullet points.
    • Use active voice.
    • Don't write plagiarize content.
    • Use CTA (Call-to-action) tones.
    • Keep your webpage graphically attractive.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11561624].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author toysoldier80
    Originally Posted by WF- Enzo View Post

    Less is more

    And we're talking about concise sentences. Gone are the days when bodies are written so long it would put Edgar Allan Poe to shame. Today's audiences have a very short attention span that even if your content is well-thought and panned out but is several lines long, then people will quickly close that browser tab.
    Do you think its possible some people still write reading long articles? Not everyone has a short attention span.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11562011].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author max5ty
      Originally Posted by toysoldier80 View Post

      Do you think its possible some people still write reading long articles? Not everyone has a short attention span.
      They didn't stop writing books just because some people have short attention spans.

      They didn't quit making movies because some people have short attention spans.

      Both of these businesses are alive and well and making billions.

      Rule #1 is "know your target customer".

      Rule #2 is "follow rule #1"

      Because someone writes boring crap and doesn't get any sales doesn't mean the rest of us should believe it's because people have short attention spans.

      It's because the person writing is boring.

      It's all quite simple really to understand.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11563148].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IGotMine
    Without content, no one would visit a website or use an app.
    I regularly visit websites without content just to use an app. i.e. PDFEscape, Canva, Pixabay.

    Paid posters...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11562056].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author codyhay
    Thanks for the post. Yes, most website owners don't invest in quality web content leading to higher bounce rate.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11562117].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jeffery
    Originally Posted by WF- Enzo View Post

    Again and again, content is king. There's a reason why - it's pretty much the bulk of anyone's website body. Without content, no one would visit a website or use an app. Here are some things you need to know.

    Less is more

    And we're talking about concise sentences. Gone are the days when bodies are written so long it would put Edgar Allan Poe to shame. Today's audiences have a very short attention span that even if your content is well-thought and panned out but is several lines long, then people will quickly close that browser tab.
    Originally Posted by toysoldier80 View Post

    Do you think its possible some people still write reading long articles? Not everyone has a short attention span.
    Enzo is referring to statistics published by Google and various websites that reflect the percentages of internet users that spend time on websites. He is right by eluding to the fact that the audience has a very short attention span compared to the past.


    Everyone may not have a short attention span - it is a measured statistic that the majority of people have a short attention span - as a result of a long article that is not concise and to the point - the majority of people will quickly close that browser tab.

    Also consider the majority of site visitors, the audience, visit websites utilizing devices with small screen sizes, mobile devices, tablets, etc.


    Long articles on a device with small screen sizes will cause visitors with short attention spans to scroll down a page in search of an immediate solution. Enzo is simple saying to be concise and to the point to capture the attention of people with short attention spans by avoiding long drawn out jargo.

    The trick is simple. Provide the solution in the first paragraph or three and provide the explanation in the remaining content of the article.

    In short.. That will satisfy "Less is More" for our audience and "SEO Best Practices" for the organic search engines,
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11562243].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author surfer30
    Everyone has his own way of writing and delivering the message, BUt for me o love " the how " to show me how to do something g clearly and easily.

    Always write content that anybody can understand. Focus your your dream customer. Deliver great introduction and tell a story. I love articles that starts with good stories.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[11563074].message }}
Avatar of Unregistered

Trending Topics