19 replies
So Im creating a product and am decided how to structure it.

I am making a video course with 10+ hours of video on traffic generation. There is loads of information in the course and I have seen similar courses go for thousands.

I want to price it around $200.

I am wondering however, if it would be better to hire someone on elance to watch the videos and write a book on the topic.

Charge $67 for the book and have a $127 upsell for the video or to just release the video at $200.

What do you think?
#upsell
  • Profile picture of the author Jarrett
    Banned
    yes. upsell for the win
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2869499].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bashty
    About that: I'm always wondering whether the upsell should have the same content, just in another format, or complimentary information in another format.

    So in your case: Should the upsell videocourse include the same info, just in videoform or should the ebook contain something else than your videocourse?
    Because why whould I want to buy the same information again? I mean, I could understand if someone said: "Okay, I like video more than reading, so I will pay more and buy the videopackage." But that's different from first buying an information package and then paying money for the SAME information again.

    I hope you can answer that question. Thanks.
    Signature

    My German site about sleeping problems, review of the squeeze page appreciated: Schlafprobleme

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2869505].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vstar00
    hmm yes I was wondering about this. But the main difference for the video will be that it is not just text. It will have more information in it plus it has screen walk throughs etc...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2869701].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Bashty
      Originally Posted by vstar00 View Post

      hmm yes I was wondering about this. But the main difference for the video will be that it is not just text. It will have more information in it plus it has screen walk throughs etc...
      Ah alright. Screen walkthroughs are definitely something that makes greater value. Also more in information of course is a good reason to buy it.
      I'm currently working on a project and thinking about whether or not I should make a video upsell from it.
      It is in the health niche, so a screen walkthrough is not possible unfortunately
      The only thing that I could add in a video would be more information. As I am already covering the important information in my product though, I'd have to make a video course with information that might be interesting for the prospect too, but not directly the information that is covered in the ebook already, right?

      Sebastian
      Signature

      My German site about sleeping problems, review of the squeeze page appreciated: Schlafprobleme

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2869713].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vstar00
    yeah... I have seen products that do just upsell the video course... I think the thing is that some people prefer video. Video also has a higher 'perceived' value. Even tho I find itmuch easier to make video and would rather pay someone to make an ebook out of it
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2869930].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Bashty
      Originally Posted by vstar00 View Post

      yeah... I have seen products that do just upsell the video course... I think the thing is that some people prefer video. Video also has a higher 'perceived' value. Even tho I find itmuch easier to make video and would rather pay someone to make an ebook out of it
      same for me
      I'd just somehow feel betrayed when i pay for the ebook, but then ALSO for the video course, just to get the same info. I'd be like "Why the heck did I have to buy the ebook then?! Couldn't he just have given me the damn video offer up front?"
      Of course we know that this would convert less probably because of the higher price, but seen from the customers point of view, I'd feel like I just described.
      Signature

      My German site about sleeping problems, review of the squeeze page appreciated: Schlafprobleme

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2870008].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author vstar00
        Originally Posted by Bashty View Post

        same for me
        I'd just somehow feel betrayed when i pay for the ebook, but then ALSO for the video course, just to get the same info. I'd be like "Why the heck did I have to buy the ebook then?! Couldn't he just have given me the damn video offer up front?"
        Of course we know that this would convert less probably because of the higher price, but seen from the customers point of view, I'd feel like I just described.
        ahh dammit, this is the conundrum that I am in at the moment! I am just worried that charging the $200 up front is going to cost conversions...

        I really dont even want to offer the ebook... I have to pay to get it written plus I dont think the info will be as valuable...
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2872126].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MarkWidawer
    Don't get yourself down!

    You've got an opportunity here, NOT a problem.

    If you want to offer an upsell, then one easy way to do it is to segment your main product. For example, if you've got 10 traffic methods in your course, sell 8, and then make upsells out of two of them.

    Or better yet, sell three or four and make upsells out of the rest. The benefit there is that it allows you to get the lower hanging fruit (ie the cheaper buyer) and still sell the full product to the rest.

    If your course is not divisible, then simply look for other products as your upsell.

    For example, you're selling "Traffic".

    Well then a natural upsell would be List Building. I'm sure you could find lots of PLR content on that, if you can't/won't/don't want to make your own product.

    Just think in terms of what makes the initial product better. What ELSE would your customer want?

    Good luck!

    --Mark
    Signature

    --Mark Widawer
    Want more sales page critiques, headline suggestions, and optimization ideas from hundreds of marketing experts?
    www.OptimizersClub.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2873200].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author J. Barry Mandel
    Hi,

    Perhaps if you repackage the video upsell as a physical product in the forms of DVD's you can charge even more...something to think about

    It would be fairly easy to automate production via Kunaki with RAP architecture so you don;t have to get your hands dirty


    Best of Luck,

    Justin
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2873223].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MarkWidawer
    Amen to that, Justin.
    Good idea!
    --Mark
    Signature

    --Mark Widawer
    Want more sales page critiques, headline suggestions, and optimization ideas from hundreds of marketing experts?
    www.OptimizersClub.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2873234].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author vstar00
    Wow, great tips guys. maybe I should look at breaking up the product. I also love the idea for DVD upsell. Will look into it.

    Thanks!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2873389].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author J. Barry Mandel
      And another word to the wise...

      If you offer an extra "no-brainer" ninja bonus together with your DVD upsell then this should greatly increase your upsell's conversions

      This extra report/DVD should have a KILLER title and the value should be apparent by telling them exactly what they're going to loose out on if they don't get this fantastic extra bonus that is only made available to those that grab the upsell DVD's

      (people HATE loosing out on stuff)


      Best of Luck,

      Justin


      Originally Posted by vstar00 View Post

      Wow, great tips guys. maybe I should look at breaking up the product. I also love the idea for DVD upsell. Will look into it.

      Thanks!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2873591].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author vstar00
        Originally Posted by Justin Mandel View Post

        And another word to the wise...

        If you offer an extra "no-brainer" ninja bonus together with your DVD upsell then this should greatly increase your upsell's conversions

        This extra report/DVD should have a KILLER title and the value should be apparent by telling them exactly what they're going to loose out on if they don't get this fantastic extra bonus that is only made available to those that grab the upsell DVD's

        (people HATE loosing out on stuff)


        Best of Luck,

        Justin

        Thx for the suggestion. Great Idea! Gotta think of a bonus.

        What do you think the DVD bonus should be priced?

        I want to price the product including the upsells at around $200. How should I structure the pricing?


        Originally Posted by MarkWidawer View Post

        Don't get yourself down!

        You've got an opportunity here, NOT a problem.

        If you want to offer an upsell, then one easy way to do it is to segment your main product. For example, if you've got 10 traffic methods in your course, sell 8, and then make upsells out of two of them.

        Or better yet, sell three or four and make upsells out of the rest. The benefit there is that it allows you to get the lower hanging fruit (ie the cheaper buyer) and still sell the full product to the rest.

        If your course is not divisible, then simply look for other products as your upsell.

        For example, you're selling "Traffic".

        Well then a natural upsell would be List Building. I'm sure you could find lots of PLR content on that, if you can't/won't/don't want to make your own product.

        Just think in terms of what makes the initial product better. What ELSE would your customer want?

        Good luck!

        --Mark

        Hey,

        thanks for the great tips on splitting up the product.

        The product is currently structured:

        - Keywords
        - SEO
        - Content
        - Social Media
        - Bringing it all togeather

        Maybe I could sell the Keywords and SEO content on its own or maybe the Social media section on its own?

        Thx again for your help!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2874411].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Zero
          Originally Posted by vstar00 View Post

          Thx for the suggestion. Great Idea! Gotta think of a bonus.

          What do you think the DVD bonus should be priced?

          I want to price the product including the upsells at around $200. How should I structure the pricing?
          Have the number 7 in the pricing i.e $197, $227. etc
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2876344].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MarkWidawer
    Hello Vstar00.
    I was thinking that the social media part could be taken out as a separate product or upsell. But I've got a feeling that a list building or conversion product might be a better choice, if your "all together" module references the social media parts.
    -Mark
    Signature

    --Mark Widawer
    Want more sales page critiques, headline suggestions, and optimization ideas from hundreds of marketing experts?
    www.OptimizersClub.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2874481].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author StephanieMojica
    I was at a two-day in-person intensive this weekend and the leader, Janis Pettit (who has a seven-figure business selling info products and coaching) recommended "repurposing" everything from articles to audio and video.

    I'm wondering if you could have the videos transcribed (it's usually not expensive; you can find someone on oDesk) and then offer the transcripts as a book. Some people would rather read the transcripts than watch video and vice versa.

    You could also have the videos placed onto audio files to sell MP3s...

    The possibilities really are endless...

    Good luck,
    Stephanie
    Signature
    Are you still struggling to grow your Internet business income? Learn the secrets that increased my income 700%--and can do the same for you--in my free report "5 Business Prosperity Secrets." Go here now to download your copy at no cost to you...http://www.businessprosperitysecrets.com
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2876541].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author vstar00
      Originally Posted by StephanieMojica View Post

      I was at a two-day in-person intensive this weekend and the leader, Janis Pettit (who has a seven-figure business selling info products and coaching) recommended "repurposing" everything from articles to audio and video.

      I'm wondering if you could have the videos transcribed (it's usually not expensive; you can find someone on oDesk) and then offer the transcripts as a book. Some people would rather read the transcripts than watch video and vice versa.

      You could also have the videos placed onto audio files to sell MP3s...

      The possibilities really are endless...

      Good luck,
      Stephanie
      Hi Stephanie,

      Thanks for the comment.

      Yes I was thinking this, having the videos turned into a book and selling the book as the starter then having the DVDs as an upsell...


      I am also considering a PLR video product to add as a bonus to the DVD up sell after the book...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2876936].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author daytonb2
    I found that, if you give a password on the thank you for ordering page, it's not a good idea to list additional products on that same page. If you do upsell on the thank you page, be sure to tell the customer how to bookmark the page, or add it to favorites, so they can find it again later.

    When I had additional products on my thank you page, many people lost the download link to my product, creating a lot of customer service for me. There were also more returns and complaints about me trying to sell them, "so many other things."

    When I cleaned my thank you for ordering page to nothing but the username, password and download link, I found that it immediately reduced customer support and refund requests.

    After testing and tracking each step of the process, I decided to move the upsell into my product download area. It was only after I proved that I could deliver my digital product, that people trusted me and were "four times" more likely to purchase an additional product related to mine.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[2876650].message }}

Trending Topics