12 replies
Well, are you?

Try recording yourself reading your sales page out loud and then play it back. Did it bore the piss out of you? If it did, guess what... it bored the piss out of your potential customers too!

Your sales pages should engage the reader. They should be stumbling over the words because they can't wait to see what you have written next.

This doesn't mean that you have to be a William Shakespear. Some of the best sales pages are written in a conversational style. Record yourself saying your pitch out loud. If it's boring, do it over. Do it over and over again until you think that this is something worth listening to. Once you are there, transcribe it to text.

Enthusiasm is rarely boring, but boredom rarely sells. Be enthusiastic and make more sales.
#boring
  • Profile picture of the author A P Geofrey
    Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

    Well, are you?

    Try recording yourself reading your sales page out loud and then play it back. Did it bore the piss out of you? If it did, guess what... it bored the piss out of your potential customers too!

    Your sales pages should engage the reader. They should be stumbling over the words because they can't wait to see what you have written next.

    This doesn't mean that you have to be a William Shakespear. Some of the best sales pages are written in a conversational style. Record yourself saying your pitch out loud. If it's boring, do it over. Do it over and over again until you think that this is something worth listening to. Once you are there, transcribe it to text.

    Enthusiasm is rarely boring, but boredom rarely sells. Be enthusiastic and make more sales.
    great idea, I can't count the number of times I have stumble upon a sales page that just sound like crap and just makes me click the backward button or just close the page and run away as fast as I can.

    also I think IM should try and drop the money everywhere big house sport cars pages it just doesn't convince anybody, maybe not any more I should say. Go for something more natural and original and inspiring.
    Signature

    Check Out Our SEO And Social Media Services with Prices Starting at $1
    Read Tips To Making Money Online

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3355782].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DavidO
      You're absolutely right... my sales page is (was!) boring. If you have a complicated product or offer the biggest challenge is to convey the details in an engaging way. This is even more difficult in long copy.

      I never really overcame the boredom trap but I've had some luck using short copy combined with audio/visual media. This is a good solution to this problem.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3355795].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Rezbi
    My writing's pretty good (so they say), but my voice is boring. But that's probably because I'm just a little too relaxed when I talk.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3355849].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author DireStraits
      Originally Posted by Rezbi View Post

      My writing's pretty good (so they say), but my voice is boring. But that's probably because I'm just a little too relaxed when I talk.
      Know the feeling.

      The problem for me is that I can read aloud even the most well-written, enthusiastic and engaging of texts, and still manage to make it sound excruciatingly boring both for myself and anyone else listening. A few people have said I sound mechanical and monotonous - sort of like a robot.

      I think video/audio can have its advantages for this reason. It is what it is, after all, and doesn't rely on the reader's own ability to channel the message in an enthusiastic, positive, engaging tone; what you present is what gets seen/heard.

      This can work in your favour, or against you, as a marketer, depending on the individual concerned and whether they're able (and willing) to distinguish and select which medium is most efficient and effective for them.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3356207].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author drluisbarrios
      Originally Posted by Rezbi View Post

      My writing's pretty good (so they say), but my voice is boring. But that's probably because I'm just a little too relaxed when I talk.

      The same for me
      Signature
      Stuck With Internet Marketing? Get Your Free Diagnosis Today!http://drluisbarrios.com/fatprofits
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3357071].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bareket57
    Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

    Your sales pages should engage the reader. They should be stumbling over the words because they can't wait to see what you have written next.

    This doesn't mean that you have to be a William Shakespear. Some of the best sales pages are written in a conversational style. Record yourself saying your pitch out loud. If it's boring, do it over. Do it over and over again until you think that this is something worth listening to. Once you are there, transcribe it to text.

    Enthusiasm is rarely boring, but boredom rarely sells. Be enthusiastic and make more sales.
    I couldn't agree with you more! No offence meant, but many others and I find Shakespeare boring to despair.
    First of all, you'd be well advised to sell something which you are enthusiastic about and then writing an engaging sales page will be substantially easier. I sell Crystals because I'm CRAZY about crystals. Even if it features on the xteenth page of eBay's "most popular products" list. But I rather aim at a specified group of customer's who love crystals as much as I do.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3356135].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author The Copy Nazi
    Banned
    Originally Posted by E. Brian Rose View Post

    Record yourself saying your pitch out loud. If it's boring, do it over. Do it over and over again until you think that this is something worth listening to. Once you are there, transcribe it to text.
    ...or just get yourself "Dragon Naturally Speaking" voice recognition software and use it to write your salespages - I do. But I use the Mac version - "MacSpeech Dictate".
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3357062].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Rezbi
      Originally Posted by The Copy Nazi View Post

      ...or just get yourself "Dragon Naturally Speaking" voice recognition software and use it to write your salespages - I do. But I use the Mac version - "MacSpeech Dictate".
      You recommend this so often I'm beginning to think you own the company.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3357437].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Pusateri
      I always read mine aloud. Great for eliminating clumsy phrasing. The result is better conversational flow.
      Originally Posted by The Copy Nazi View Post

      I use the Mac version - "MacSpeech Dictate".
      Dictate?! Dictate Speech?! Perfect for Nazi!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3358012].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author DireStraits
        Originally Posted by Pusateri View Post

        Dictate?! Dictate Speech?! Perfect for Nazi!
        Achtung: Haben Sie etwas Respekt!

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3358031].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Oxbloom
    I sound a lot like Lurch, from the Addams Family.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3358790].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sethczerepak
    Good suggestion here bro, takes some guts though. I've yet to meet a boring person who was ready to openly admit it...or who even knew that they were for that matter.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3360157].message }}

Trending Topics