Copy & Conversions for Software vs. Info Products...

12 replies
Hey Warriors,
Have you thought about this?

Is there a difference in the copy you write for software products vs. traditional info products?

Also, all things being equal, do you think one converts better than the other?

I have my thoughts, but I'm more interested in what you guys have to say!

Looking forward to your insights....
/Money...
#conversions #copy #info #products #software
  • Profile picture of the author kmesiab
    There is definitely a difference in the copy, because the target audience is different.

    What converts best, all things being equal, is a function of present market demand (pedantic answer).

    All things, however, are never equal .

    The winner is the one who 'positions' best (including quality copy for the target market) for a product with sufficient demand and delivers convertible traffic.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3648761].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author travlinguy
    There's obviously a difference in the words but the structure and message is the same. It's this: People have problems along with things they want or, desires. People are always trying to get the things they want, fulfill their desires and solve their problems. People selling stuff appeal to these needs. Simple, right.

    People with the problem of not having money or the desire for more seek ways to solve the problem or satisfy the desire. So we present appeals that address their needs. People desire more free time in their lives and understand that automating any number of tasks with software will give it to them.

    The need for software, automobiles, baby food, sporting goods, plant food, whatever it might be will somehow fit one of the above. People offering every imaginable product will recognize the specifics of their market (understanding and relating to what people in that market want and need) and fill it.

    That's it. The copywriter's approach is virtually the same (solve the problem or fulfill the desire) though the words will vary depending on the product and market, mainly market. Good luck.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3648944].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iSoftware
      Interesting. I was thinking someone would mention that the "proof" elements and the "before" and "after" story would be different for software.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3649001].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author kmesiab
        I have promoted software primarily and only the software my company writes. This leaves me a bit biased .

        However, common sense says:

        "People looking for info products are persons trying to learn"
        "People looking for software, are persons ready for a competitive advantage"

        This kind of basic analysis, while seemingly contrived, is an important aspect in the language and approach of the copy you use.

        The above is correct, ultimately all copy calls upon the basic human desires (google it). How it is presented, is a matter of lexicon.

        I have found that software geared for businesses convert best, because the target audience already knows they must spend money to make money (invest) for their businesses. They are statistically quicker to pull their credit card out, if there is immediately demonstrative ROI.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3649665].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author iSoftware
          Originally Posted by kmesiab View Post

          I have promoted software primarily and only the software my company writes. This leaves me a bit biased .

          However, common sense says:

          "People looking for info products are persons trying to learn"
          "People looking for software, are persons ready for a competitive advantage"

          This kind of basic analysis, while seemingly contrived, is an important aspect in the language and approach of the copy you use.

          The above is correct, ultimately all copy calls upon the basic human desires (google it). How it is presented, is a matter of lexicon.

          I have found that software geared for businesses convert best, because the target audience already knows they must spend money to make money (invest) for their businesses. They are statistically quicker to pull their credit card out, if there is immediately demonstrative ROI.
          Would you say that people looking for software are also more prone to convenience and ease - i.e. they want a "push button" solution (assuming you can demonstrate how easy it is to use the software....)
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3653978].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raydal
    I wouldn't say that the copy is different but the marketing is
    a little different. You are in a better position if you can give
    away a TRIAL copy of your software so the client can sell
    himself on the benefits of using the software.

    You can always give away a few chapters of your ebook but
    this works better with software.

    -Ray Edwards
    Signature
    The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3650017].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author iSoftware
      Originally Posted by Raydal View Post

      I wouldn't say that the copy is different but the marketing is
      a little different. You are in a better position if you can give
      away a TRIAL copy of your software so the client can sell
      himself on the benefits of using the software.

      You can always give away a few chapters of your ebook but
      this works better with software.

      -Ray Edwards

      Interesting. Wouldn't you say that even the copy is different. Because if you have a demo video, ideally it should be scripted.

      The interesting thing about software is being able to show the "before" and "after" scenario.

      Bottom line for instance if someone knows it manually takes them 5 hours to do something by hand - then you can demonstrate on screen - how it takes 5 seconds.....well that's pretty powerful, don't you think?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3653968].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author briancassingena
    Another thing with software vs ebooks, when you do a video demo, how do you show the benefits of an ebook? It's easy to show this for software with a video, but with an ebook you'd have to grab the main benefit and show it in action.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3650164].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Scott Murdaugh
    I've written for a lot of software and a lot of info-products.

    The trick, as always, is to know your market.

    If I'm selling cutting-edge expensive SEO software for professionals I don't really need to help them visualize the possibilities or tell them the software will take them from the 9-5 grind into living in a mansion...

    I just explain that, ya know, "tired of spending 20 hours a week manually submitting links to .edu sites? Here's how to do the same amount of work in less than 10 minutes."

    Video demo to show them it works.

    Build value by asking them what saving 80 hours a month is worth to them.

    Info-products can be a lot of fun. A lot of room to play with stories, emotions, lots of juicy bullets.

    Short answer, they're different.

    But every info-product and every software is different too. It depends on the solution you're selling and the market you're selling to.

    If you can understand what your market is thinking about when they hit your sales letter, and you can provide a solution to them, the battle is 80% over. The copy comes naturally after that.

    -Scott
    Signature

    Over $30 Million In Marketing Data And A Decade Of Consistently Generating Breakthrough Results - Ask How My Unique Approach To Copy Typically Outsells Traditional Ads By Up To 29x Or More...

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3650255].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author WAWarrior
    Before I buy a software product, I would like a trial version to test it out. Else the demo videos must be really convincing...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3654227].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author GlobalMedia
    Originally Posted by moneykws View Post

    Hey Warriors,
    Have you thought about this?

    Is there a difference in the copy you write for software products vs. traditional info products?

    Also, all things being equal, do you think one converts better than the other?

    I have my thoughts, but I'm more interested in what you guys have to say!

    Looking forward to your insights....
    /Money...
    Yep, there is a difference between writing for software products and traditional info products. It allows us a better opportunity to present the actual details to the readers, without creating confusion.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3675913].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BartsTreasures
    There are both similarities and differences...the other answers cover them well, I just wanted to offer an observation... It seems today the best "positioned" ebooks are the ones that make use of the SAME benefits software has.

    We use software to - save time - automate processes - give competitve advantage etc... SO, an ebook promising "easy to understand" / "easy to implement" / "simple step by step insider secrets" that let me save time, automate processes, give me competitve advantage etc. are better positioned than ebooks that just offer information.

    Likewise, Software that is capable of the above while teaching me something is better positioned than software just doing tasks.

    Just my humble observation and opinion
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[3679070].message }}

Trending Topics