I'm talking about multiple aspects of copywriting but for today, I'm talking about the business of copywriting.
Namely - the days of the super high paying jobs are OVER.
I'm talking about the days when you could quote a job from 25K-60K and have a wait list.
Those clients are gone.
There are a number of reasons why.
1. The buyers are out of credit. Their credit cards can't afford to pay for a copywriter. Similarly, they can't get home equity loans to fund new businesses.
2. The rise of video sales letters. People think there is an art to copywriting but think any shmuck can create a powerpoint video.
3. The gurus who spent a lot of money on copy are doing their own copy in the form of the videos.
4. The clients know the market for their products isn't as strong.
5. Google AdWords banning most copywriting sites as "make money" sites.
So if you're a copywriter just waiting for your ship to come in. It hit an iceberg.
There's a whole new world you are dealing with.
It's a world of hurt.
In the past few weeks, I've spoken to a lot of copywriters and they are all feeling the pain.
My students - who listened to me - have launched their own products and that's where there money is coming from.
But for people waiting to jump into the field, it's a new game.
All of the old advice out there is pretty much worthless.
And no one is teaching copywritingbusiness 2.0
I'm not one to be politically correct but the business has changed.
If you can adapt and carve out a new path, you'll make money.
Do things the old way?
You're in for a surprise.