Where to start if you're a copywriting newbie

20 replies
Start with books by Dan Kennedy, Ray Edwards, Bob Bly, Gary Halbert, and Craig Garber
#copywriting #newbie #start
  • Profile picture of the author CopywritingTony
    I would suggest picking out a piece of copy that's proven.
    Read it 10 times, and write it by hand on piece of paper 3 times.

    Do that for 3 or 4 good ads and you'll be golden.

    As far as 'learning' how to write good copy, I would suggest you
    study John Carlton.

    Best Regards,
    Copywriting Tony
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4507899].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EricMN
    Do both of the above + ask questions from people who have been in the business of copywriting for a while.

    While writing out proven copy and studying it is a good idea, it doesn't teach you the methodology behind writing good copy. It's better to learn the mechanisms and strategies copywriters use so you can look at various pieces of copy (most often sales letters/pages) and go, "Oh yeah, that's why that's there." That way you can see when and where common themes pop up and why they work.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4508956].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author bensonenterprise
    I have actually just recently decided to start studying copywriting myself. My company offers article writing and ebooks but we are not currently doing anything with sales copy. I purchased a video training series and a book and I am reading the book to get the "mechanics" down and watching the video to see the "application" I also feel that it is going to take some time to perfect this skill. I have written 2 copy so far that have done OK, but I think with practice and patience it can move from OK to great.

    I am also going to look into that link that Joe posted. I think having a few ways to look at it might allow me to choose the method that my closely matches my own style and way of learning.

    Thanks.
    Signature

    I own a small writing company that takes the time to make sure you are pleased with your end product visit my site at http://www.ebookwritingservices.org for more details.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4509305].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RefundHost
    Originally Posted by siocowiz View Post

    Hi,

    I wouldn't really say that copywriting is one of my strengths, but I'm currently learning it right now. What's the best way to learn copywriting and become really good at it?
    If you're learning it here ... it's probably bad habits. lol

    Know what benefit you offer.

    Tell people you offer that benefit.
    Tell them what the price is.


    Try doing that 10 different ways and try each way for a week
    and see which works best. Customers tell you what the best copy is.
    - not books ... not even pro copywrters.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4510045].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SpikeS
    Originally Posted by siocowiz View Post

    Hi,

    I wouldn't really say that copywriting is one of my strengths, but I'm currently learning it right now. What's the best way to learn copywriting and become really good at it?
    Read the sticky re books.

    In particular:

    -Ultimate Sales Letter by Dan Kennedy
    -Anything by Gary Halbert
    -Influence by Cialdini
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4511362].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Mark Andrews
    Banned
    Originally Posted by siocowiz View Post

    Hi,

    I wouldn't really say that copywriting is one of my strengths, but I'm currently learning it right now. What's the best way to learn copywriting and become really good at it?
    Use the search function for starters...

    http://www.warriorforum.com/search.p...rchid=10745850
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4511553].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author SUPER Louie
      [DELETED]
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4512586].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mark Andrews
        Banned
        Well this question pops up every week on average in one form or another and it's rare to see any of the top copywriters posting in these kind of threads nowadays.

        So many newbies think learning copywriting is easy... something which they can just learn in a few weeks to increase their online earning capacity. But for the most part many of these questions aren't genuine unfortunately. You may be the exception to the rule. If this is you - prove it.

        There is no magic bullet to learning and practicing copywriting. It's not something which you're going to learn how to do in just a few short weeks. It's going to require a massive amount of research and total dedication on your part IF you want to do this well.

        Be prepared to put in a minimum of 10,000 hours research if you want to be anybody in this business. All of the top copywriters on this forum and elsewhere have an insatiable appetite for more marketing knowledge. All of them are very adept too at understanding buying psychology - what makes buyers tick.

        Everything you want to know is available on this forum. Most questions from newbies have already been asked time and time again - ad infinitum.

        If you are serious... you'll use that search function like there's no tomorrow!

        I'll bet you there's thousands of nuggets of advice right there at your fingertips IF you would only search the information out as required. It won't take you very long to sort the wheat out from the chaff, who's who in this business.

        Good luck!


        Pete Walker
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4513016].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author bensonenterprise
          Great advice. Thanks for sharing. I have started using the search function to learn more about the topics that I am researching and it has been very helpful to me.

          The book I started reading said that you should spend 70% of your time researching and 30% of your time actually writing the copy. So far I have been in the research phase for a short while and have gone through maybe 15% of the research needed.

          Great advice, I feel that this advice that you provided can help someone to gain a real perspective and I for one appreciate that.

          Thanks.
          Originally Posted by Pete Walker View Post

          Well this question pops up every week on average in one form or another and it's rare to see any of the top copywriters posting in these kind of threads nowadays.

          So many newbies think learning copywriting is easy... something which they can just learn in a few weeks to increase their online earning capacity. But for the most part many of these questions aren't genuine unfortunately. You may be the exception to the rule. If this is you - prove it.

          There is no magic bullet to learning and practicing copywriting. It's not something which you're going to learn how to do in just a few short weeks. It's going to require a massive amount of research and total dedication on your part IF you want to do this well.

          Be prepared to put in a minimum of 10,000 hours research if you want to be anybody in this business. All of the top copywriters on this forum and elsewhere have an insatiable appetite for more marketing knowledge. All of them are very adept too at understanding buying psychology - what makes buyers tick.

          Everything you want to know is available on this forum. Most questions from newbies have already been asked time and time again - ad infinitum.

          If you are serious... you'll use that search function like there's no tomorrow!

          I'll bet you there's thousands of nuggets of advice right there at your fingertips IF you would only search the information out as required. It won't take you very long to sort the wheat out from the chaff, who's who in this business.

          Good luck!


          Pete Walker
          Signature

          I own a small writing company that takes the time to make sure you are pleased with your end product visit my site at http://www.ebookwritingservices.org for more details.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4516579].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Jamesgregory
    I recommend spending a lot of time on the Copywriting Forum, go on Clickbank and study sales pages that have a high gravity, and keep your eyes open for the right WSOs related to copywriting... but only if they get good feedback from other Warriors.

    One thing that I haven't noticed in the forum much -perhaps mistakenly- is any big reference to learning consumer psychology alongside copy itself, since one (consumer psych) must reflect and complement the other (written copy). Learn how to get inside the head of the prospects, target their desires, in order to make them WANT to pay for the product you're writing copy for... even before you start writing for that product or service.

    The sticky book list is spot on. Pick which ever ones pique your interest the most... and most of all... try to ENJOY learning how to write copy. Writing copy CAN be fun! (I enjoy it much and that makes all the difference in the world
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4515469].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mark Andrews
      Banned
      Originally Posted by Jamesgregory View Post

      One thing that I haven't noticed in the forum much -perhaps mistakenly- is any big reference to learning consumer psychology alongside copy itself, since one (consumer psych) must reflect and complement the other (written copy). Learn how to get inside the head of the prospects, target their desires, in order to make them WANT to pay for the product you're writing copy for... even before you start writing for that product or service.
      Hello James

      This specific area is covered more indepth by individual copywriters personal coaching or training programs and also via some of their eBook / product offerings.

      In fact, I've just spent the past 2 1/2 hours going through one of the top copywriters training material - a new copywriting 'manual' coming onto the market very soon. Proofreading it in great detail and editing out, making corrective changes where necessary.

      For the price it's going to be worth every cent. I'll keep you posted when it's released to the general public.

      Best,


      Pete Walker
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4519359].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mark Andrews
        Banned
        One excellent book I would recommend personally to greenhorn potential copywriters is by the legendary copywriter... Joseph Sugarman: The Adweek Copywriting Handbook.

        You can buy it on eBay for as little as $13.38 including free shipping.

        Or Amazon for $11.84 including free shipping.

        Highly recommended!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4519431].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author ChrisKahler
    One thing I would recommend against doing is loading up your library with a billion books on the subject... rather, take your time finding a few that really resonate with you from the masters on the list that Joe Ditzel shared in his post. Find a few of those books you really click with and read them at least a dozen times each.

    Don't just read them though, immerse yourself in them. Take notes, make highlights, and really try to digest what they say as much as possible.

    Do this in addition to writing out letters daily.. I know this might sound tedious, but to really master this craft that's what's needed... Just set aside a bit of time each day, doesn't have to be much, and dedicate yourself during that time to nothing but copywriting mastery through consistent practice.

    That's what the greats do... at anything really. Consistent and dedicated practice plus study will lead to great abilities.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4516201].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Homer Lasa Hood
    Originally Posted by Louie Sioco View Post

    Hi,

    I wouldn't really say that copywriting is one of my strengths, but I'm currently learning it right now. What's the best way to learn copywriting and become really good at it?

    Read a lot. That's the best thing you can do. Reading a lot of articles that pertains to different topics or products online.
    Signature

    " With great online casino comes with great online casino software " - SpiderGamblerMan

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4520451].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author suigeneris
    Louie, Like Joe said those books are a great place to start. And as with everything you have to pay your dues and really practice your craft everyday. Nothing is easy of course. If I could tell you one trick that I have used, that many people overlook, to really speed up my learning curve it would be study up write your own copy and then hire a copywriter to edit and review your work. This is a great way that I have used to get insight and tutelage from some of the best, and most expensive, copywriters on Elance. Many of these guys will do this for a fraction of the cost of what they would normally charge. GL
    Signature
    THE AMERICAN SURVIVAL BIBLE
    Hot New CB Product!
    [VIDEO] CONVERTS Easy!!
    65%, On Each CONVERSION

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4521050].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author jaiganeshv
    for newbies with no experience, i just suggest use Robert Plank's speed copywriting. its just point and click and simple, copywriting is not rocket science with that. After all we are not going to write a million dollar copy (atleast myself )


    Thank you
    Jai
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4521180].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author BradCarroll
    I'm going through this "course" right now:

    The Gary Halbert Letter

    As far as the book portion of it goes, my personal recommendation is that after you've read Hopkins a couple of times, read The Robert Collier Letter Book (I bought one years ago at B&N for less than $30; I'm pretty sure it's still available). Everyone is different...but that's when things really started to click for me.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4521394].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Izzy9
    I've enrolled with niche profit classroom and one tip they strongly suggest is to write down successful sales letters by hand. I have read it in the other thread too and I'm doing it because in the process I am slowly getting this fixed winning strategy in my brain.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4524852].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author davehayes
    This CW forum is excellent. Some Super Contirbutions being made. CW is a Skill, which is probably the Most Neccessary Skill you will need on the Internet, when doing Direct Response.

    There are some Excellent Examples that have been provided in this thread, the late Gary Halbert was probably one of the best ,Ted Nicholas is another, to learn from.

    As has already Been Written its a case of study, learn and study more, try writing yourself and see how it goes, you'll soon find what you like & what you don't!

    I hope this is of use to you.

    Dave
    Signature

    Read the reviews on list building & blog promotion, so you save time & money
    http://davehayes.co

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4525458].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author ChrisKahler
      Originally Posted by davehayes View Post

      This CW forum is excellent. Some Super Contirbutions being made. CW is a Skill, which is probably the Most Neccessary Skill you will need on the Internet, when doing Direct Response.
      This is 100% true. Copywriting is actually the bread-winning skill to have... there are so many parts to writing persuasively even outside of sales page. You have to entice clicks, prepare mind states, and position yourself noticeably and interestingly before even getting people to read a sales letter.

      Then you have to push curiosity to the max until it's a burning desire to know more, an incurable itch that only the product solves. Copywriting is a skill that trickles all down and throughout entire marketing campaigns online.

      Learning copywriting can help you max out conversion rates that you may otherwise neglect that could really improve your bottom line profits!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4527086].message }}

Trending Topics