Video Sales Letters Are Wrong..

by max5ty
53 replies
Ok, I know I'm throwing a lot of posts up tonight...

Only because....

Here's my take on video sales letters.

Don't do them.

Nobody wants to sit around and listen to 10 minutes of you drone on and on about something.

Here's what I'm thinking.

Make it like a mini movie..

Make it something that people will want to watch.

Something that will change their life...in that 5 minutes or so.
#letters #sales #video #wrong
  • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
    Dude, you're so off-base on this one, it's sad.

    The scientific testing data is in... in most cases, video sales letters outperform their text counterparts signficiantly.

    Alex
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4657223].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author max5ty
      Originally Posted by Alex Cohen View Post

      Dude, you're so off-base on this one, it's sad.

      The scientific testing data is in... in most cases, video sales letters outperform their text counterparts signficiantly.

      Alex
      You know Alex, I don't agree.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4657260].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Justin Quick
      My latest letter for a client was tested with and without video -- and my letter WITHOUT video pulled better.

      Hence the solution is to TEST and not make a blanketed statement as to what will or will not work.

      Obviously, with so many non-literate people (those who can read but hate to) video should give you a boost -- and what I see many big companies doing are using video-only -- but if you click to exit, the page changes to a text sales letter (all the same copy in the video, but laid out in letter format).

      Another thing...

      People... supposedly copywriters... from this thread keep saying, "I don't like them" or some derivative of that statement...

      Who gives a sh*t what you like? It doesn't matter what you like. If the PROSPECT is interested, they will watch. Just because you're not interested doesn't mean it's a horrible tactic. And maybe the videos you don't like are just poorly done.

      -- Justin
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4691746].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author CaliChristian
      Originally Posted by Ken_Caudill View Post

      What scientific testing data?
      link please?
      Signature
      Christian Credit Counselors is a non-profit organization that has been credit counseling for 20 years and our credit counselors have helped over 200,000 individuals and families get out of debt in less than 4 years.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4692704].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Daniel Scott
    I've only done about five video letters...

    But in each case, when split-tested against the text-only version, they increased conversions by approx 50 - 100% (depending on the project).

    Not saying the formula can't be improved in the future (I see them becoming more and more like infomercials)...

    But right now they're working like crazy. At least in my experience.

    -Daniel
    Signature

    Always looking for badass direct-response copywriters. PM me if we don't know each other and you're looking for work.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4657426].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author BartsTreasures
      I personally hate video sales letters (as a consumer) BUT as a seller, they outperform their text counterparts...as the saying goes..."a sample of one is not a representative sample! Personally, I throw out 'junk mail', but the fact that such mail keeps arriving means it's working!

      In my humble opinion, As marketers, it's important for us not to let our personal prejudices keep us from using what works.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4754104].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Harlan
    Originally Posted by max5ty View Post

    Ok, I know I'm throwing a lot of posts up tonight...

    Only because....

    Here's my take on video sales letters.

    Don't do them.

    Nobody wants to sit around and listen to 10 minutes of you drone on and on about something.

    Here's what I'm thinking.

    Make it like a mini movie..

    Make it something that people will want to watch.

    Something that will change their life...in that 5 minutes or so.
    This post is so off base and disconnected from reality, they should put you in time out before you post again.

    Video sales letters (PowerPoint) are making HUNDREDS of millions of dollars online now.

    They are completely out-pulling traditional copy letters.

    Get with the program.
    Signature

    Harlan D. Kilstein Ed.D.
    Free NLP Communications Course at http://www.nlpcopywriting.com
    http://overnight-copy.com
    Get Fit In Four Minuteshttp://just4minutes.com
    Learn how to build a Super Site Without SEO http://supersiteformula.com

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4657532].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author wordwizard
      I dislike them personally, especially since they kind of hold you hostage in front of the screen unless you want to miss something potentially important, and since they take a good deal longer than 10 minutes even when they say it'll just be 10 minutes, or even 5.

      So most of the time I click "close" the moment one of those things comes on, unless I want to study it for educational purposes ;-) I've got to start writing those things...

      Why they work? Because people are forced (if they stick around) to listen to the whole carefully crafted argument, something they can't usually be coaxed into doing by most sales letters, where they go straight to the price, missing all the persuasive action.

      I should have bought that WSO way back that was teaching us exactly how to write those killer video letters! Anyone here remember what that was, or know of a WSO that teaches that?

      Thanks!!!

      Elisabeth
      Signature

      FREE Report: 5 Ways To Grow Your Affiliate Income

      Let Me Help You Sell: Sales Letters, Email Series, Pre-Sell Reports... PM me & we'll talk!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4657822].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author aandersen
        Originally Posted by wordwizard View Post

        I should have bought that WSO way back that was teaching us exactly how to write those killer video letters! Anyone here remember what that was, or know of a WSO that teaches that?
        Maybe you're thinking of this one
        http://www.warriorforum.com/warrior-...just-12-a.html
        Signature

        signature goes here

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4657838].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Len Bailey
      Originally Posted by Ken_Caudill View Post

      How do you know?
      I won't presume to speak for anyone else, but for me it's easy: VSPs are proving to be extremely profitable for my clients. The combination of the a/v slideshow, exit pop, and long-form sales page have increased response in virtually every instance I have seen them used.

      That's not to say they will outperform traditional sales pages for every product or business. They won't. Like Direct Response Rule #2 says, "Every rule has an exception (except Rule #1 -- Test Everything)."

      But, hey -- if you don't want to do VSPs, don't do them. You can always tell potential clients you'll be happy to handle any other videos they need, but that they'll have to get their VSPs somewhere else.

      After all, it's your business.

      - Len

      PS: For those who hate the look and feel of VSPs, I do sympathize. I felt the same way when they first arrived on the scene. But sometimes the ugliest headline pulls the best response... and at the end of the day it's all about increasing response.
      Signature

      Len Bailey
      Copywriter/Consultant
      Feel free to connect on LinkedIn or Twitter

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4668518].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Rezbi
        Originally Posted by Ken_Caudill View Post

        What does any of that have to do with these bald statements?

        "Video sales letters (PowerPoint) are making HUNDREDS of millions of dollars online now.

        They are completely out-pulling traditional copy letters."


        How could you possible know if I want to do VSPs or not?

        We've entered the twilight zone.
        Maybe that's why it's wrong...

        Try some hair-restorer.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4670644].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Rezbi
          Originally Posted by Ken_Caudill View Post

          Wonderfully clever.

          Thank you, sir.

          I don't get to make clever statements often. Maybe I'm getting old.
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4675562].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author SergeyZ
    If the headline and the subheader is good enough the target audience will prefer watching a 10 minute video over reading 30 pages of text on their screen. If you're not the target audience, if the headline doesn't hook you and draw you in, and if you're simply analyzing the sales letter, you'd hate the video since, at least with text, you can skim through it to get the basic gist of the thing. You can't do that with videos. May be that's why you're thinking that videos made like movies are the way to go? The problem with that is the videos are sales letters - their main objective is to sell and not entertain. Why would you want someone watching the video if they're only doing it for entertainment and are not looking to buy anything? It's just a waste of bandwidth.
    Signature

    Enter witty signature here.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4658644].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Eduard Stinga
    Yes, they work, only because the viewer finds it easier to just sit and and watch a 10 minute presentation than to use his brain and read a sales letter for 10 minutes.

    But as a video creator, I think it's just wrong to use them. A silly thing such as a PowerPoint presentation CAN'T cost more than $50, really. I see stuff like that selling for $2,000, times more expensive that a well crafted custom made video in After Effects.

    Plus, when I create videos, I know I lose the viewers if the beginning is not cool, or if the video tends to be boring along the way.. and guess what, I mostly create 1 minute videos.. I don't think "PowerPoint Gurus" ever think of the attention span.. I've once wanted to see HOW FAR they can GO.. really.. and watched a presentation of 30 MINUTES... GOD!!!
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4658692].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Robert_Rand
    Originally Posted by max5ty View Post


    Nobody wants to sit around and listen to 10 minutes of you drone on and on about something.
    Ah it's quite the contrary my friend...

    Men who are lonely and are interested in dating more, will gladly sit around for 10 minutes (and beyond) if you give them juicy insight/stories that explains why they're single and how they can finally solve their problems...

    People who are dead broke will gladly listen to your incredible rags to riches story that resonates with their circumstances...

    An obese person wanting to lose weight will gladly watch if your stories offers hope and a glimmer of a new life...

    Of course, the caveat here is that your video needs to be GOOD. It needs to provide value, it needs to be entertaining, it needs to spark curiosity and it needs to resonate with authenticity...

    But all things being equal... video sales letter > long sales copy with no video.

    That's not simply my opinion by the way. It's the market's.

    In fact, your post is merely a slight variation of the "stop using long sales copy" complaint...

    Sure, there are things that don't lend itself to a 20 minute video sales letter. But in my opinion, anything that is sold via long form sales copy is a candidate for a serious conversion spike with a video sales letter.

    And may I ask, what is the basis for your post? Is it just speculation/theory? Just curious

    Robert
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4664378].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author arfasaira
      Daniel is right on this one - video sales letters work very well because well, simply put, people are lazy.

      I mean, why read a sales letter when you can watch it instead?

      The only thing I don't like are video sales letters which don't allow you to pause or stop or move on and keep playing (I saw one like that the other day and it droned on for 10 minutes, with no end in sight and worse still, there was no other way to the main sales page) without allowing you to do anything really...so you know what happens to those type of videos?

      Prospects will probably hit the back button faster than a speeding bullet!
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4664879].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author sanjaypande
    You do get some additional options with video besides words and imagery. You can add - motion, sound, music which can make it compelling to watch (or boring if you miss the mark).

    It is also a linear medium which lets YOU control the flow of information in most cases.

    Can video help make more sales compared to a long form sales letter?

    Yes, most of the time, but not always.

    There are issues:

    1. Most video sales letters (over 95%) are awful. I saw one by Agora publishing and it was the worst thing I've seen. It takes more than just the script to create a good video.

    2. The script is still extremely important and will take even a really bad production up a notch. I've been glued to the computer watching the worst ever production quality on a video presentation because the information was just that good. But, imagine if both the script and the production quality are good.

    3. It's a linear medium, which doesn't let the hottest folks (eager to push the buy button) in fast enough, especially with the delayed CTA buttons. If for some reason they have to reload the page ... poof! They're gone.

    4. Video only pages assume high-bandwidth connections in most cases. While this should not be an issue these days, people are ignorant and their browsers sometimes are hogging on stuff so badly that even hyper speed connections result in jerky video. The absence of a text message below the video can result in them leaving (even if they intended to buy).
    (Hint: Sometimes your best prospects may be traveling and not have access to a high-bandwidth connection)

    5. Video produces images for your audience. Reading makes us create images in our minds. From that particular perspective I think reading is superior (and there is great power in that self created imagery).

    All said and done, it IS easier to write a video script than a long form sales letter. People have made a ton of money from simple video sales letters mostly because they were new.

    They are NOT novel anymore. In my opinion more people leave video pages than plain text sales copy these days and are less forgiving.

    If you want to produce an absolute killer video, then you need more than just a copywriter (who doesn't mind writing scripts), you also need a good video producer - even if you want it to be presentation based.

    Many people who have used video and boast success, already have a following. The conversion stats on their videos are not very relevant even when their videos suck (Most of them do, even by well known folks). It would be rude to take names.

    The OP summed it up very well in this sentence

    Make it something that people will want to watch.
    And he's also very good at riling up the forum and has been entertaining to watch. Good lesson there if you've been paying attention.

    And of course you CAN ...

    Make it something people would WANT to READ
    Make it something people would WANT to HEAR
    Signature

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4665125].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Crystal_Jobs
    Originally Posted by max5ty View Post


    Here's my take on video sales letters.

    Don't do them.
    If you doubt this, please read this thread and this blog.

    Truly, I hate to wait for the videos to load when I can quickly breeze through the unique benefits of the product.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4665147].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author David Merriman
    Look - at the end of the day, it's all about human psychology.

    Does your website make people want to buy the product?

    I'm still making money from longform sales letters.

    That being said - people today are less willing to read a long sales letter.

    Now people are becoming engrossed in sales videos, where they MUST
    watch the entire thing to get the special benefit at the end
    (which, of course, you must pay for) and you can't skip ahead.

    Another benefit to VSL is that you can make the BUY link appear at the very end.

    It's good for your visitor not to be sure if you're selling something
    or not at the beginning.

    Look at all the top clickbank products. VSL, VSL, VSL. There's a reason for that. Many reasons, in fact.
    Signature

    Be unique.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4665172].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author MikeHumphreys
    Originally Posted by max5ty View Post

    Nobody wants to sit around and listen to 10 minutes of you drone on and on about something.

    Here's what I'm thinking.

    Make it like a mini movie..

    Make it something that people will want to watch.

    Something that will change their life...in that 5 minutes or so.
    It depends on the niche and target market. I've seen instances where video converted better. I've seen instances where traditional salesletters converted better than video.

    Personally, I'm a type A personality. I don't like sitting and waiting for anything.

    So if I'm thinking about buying something, I better be able to skim the copy, get the key points and make a buying decision pronto.

    Max, your last point was probably your best IMHO. I'd love to see more infomercial style sales videos.

    I'd love to see someone come up with a infomercial style online sales video that rocks as well as Ed Valenti's Ginsu Knife ad did when it debuted in 1978:

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4665715].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Alex Cohen
      Originally Posted by MikeHumphreys View Post

      I'd love to see someone come up with a infomercial style online sales video that rocks as well as Ed Valenti's Ginsu Knife ad did when it debuted in 1978
      They did... the Billy Mays Impact Gel infomerical.

      The dude lets a car run over his hand!

      Alex

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4666029].message }}
      • I don't like them.

        They may work incredibly well - but I still don't like them (and most of my clients hate them).

        For me, even with a fast broadband they usually take ages to load.

        And then stop, reload, start, stop, reload...

        I don't have the patience to wait.

        As mentioned often you can't pause or move forward. I get that "marketing" bit - lets keep the prospect imprisoned in the hope they'll watch the whole thing.

        But what if they want to move back in case they missed something. Or wanted to see the one part that most interested them again?

        I don't think many people will start the whole production all over, and wait 10 minutes or more until they get to the point which might have got the sale.


        I had a "discussion" with one client who wanted one (they felt they had to follow the trend...).

        I was petrified because technically I have no idea how to do them.

        So, I used Carltons' "Gun to the head" technique.

        Would you use a video which may not load quickly enough, frequently stops, starts and stops, your audience loses interest, clicks off the site in sheer frustration and you lose the sales?

        Or shall we play safe and do a sales letter - which people can read, get the message, or skip to the point that interests them the most, re - read whatever they want and it's easy for them to order quickly?

        Luckily for me they went for the old fashioned sales pitch.

        It did well.

        But I'll never know how many zillions we lost not knowing how much better a video might have done.

        As long as we made a lot of money, I don't really need to know

        (Yes, I probably do need to know - but with all the economic grief at this time - clients desperately want the sales and the revenue asap without any "risk" that their promo won't be seen).
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4667390].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author MikeHumphreys
        Originally Posted by Alex Cohen View Post

        They did... the Billy Mays Impact Gel infomerical.

        The dude lets a car run over his hand!

        Alex


        Great example... I miss Billy Mays as he was one of the best TV pitchmen ever.

        Do you know if it was ever an online sales pitch or just TV?

        Mike

        P.S. Does anyone have any ONLINE infomercial style sales videos that they think rock?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4668672].message }}
  • The results are actually inconclusive on which is better.

    using the two together, text and video is the best way to go because you appeal to all the senses and give people the chance the see what you have in print.

    Thank God clickbank are making people put in a pause button -I think a fast forward button is needed too
    Signature
    "Peter Brennan is the real deal, In the first 12 hours we did $80k...and over $125k in the first week...if you want to be successful online, outsource your copywriting to Peter"
    Adam Linkenauger

    For 12 ways to sell more stuff to more people today...go to...www.peterbrennan.net
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4667763].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Len Bailey
      Originally Posted by Quality Copywriter View Post

      Thank God clickbank are making people put in a pause button -I think a fast forward button is needed too
      Perfect example of finding ways to improve on the current standard. But as always, make sure you test (at least, in areas where they aren't required) before you roll out completely so you'll know whether they help or hurt response.

      And while you're at it, don't forget a rewind button in case they want to go back and replay a point or hear something they missed!
      Signature

      Len Bailey
      Copywriter/Consultant
      Feel free to connect on LinkedIn or Twitter

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4668563].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John_S
    If you wouldn't do it in a sales letter, try not doing it in video.

    The hope is, finding a starving crowd, anybody would still try to write the ad or letter well. They would not calculate the least they could possibly get away with, and skirt the edge of disaster.

    At very least, they would improve upon the video in just the same way you'd test various improvements to a web page or print letter. What would be "wrong" is to chuck every last bit of smarts because whatever you do will probably work.

    I am a supporter of a video pitch. Want to do a slide show format? Just tell me where to stand so I can cheer you on. I am a critic of people who use video to get away with things they would not stand for in text.

    All that amounts to is taking just a little pride in your work folks.

    And since when, pardon me for asking, would the greedy SOBs ever think of running a letter (to any kind of market) if they had even a shadow of a notion they were leaving a nickle behind on the table? If you won't do pride, test a couple of changes for the sake of greed.

    Because I seriously doubt we've reached the uppermost limit with video sales letters. I seriously doubt the last few decades of infomercial and video production have absolutely not one thing to apply online which could boost response.

    What I have faith in is the internet's penchant for discounting everything offline and taking not one hint from the entirety of human history in shaving a few weeks off reinventing fire ... the wheel ... moving pictures. Then calling it an innovation like they discovered something.

    I seriously doubt there is no niche here for someone who wants to bring these techniques online -- in an easy, usable way -- and stand head and shoulders above the status quo. It might not be easy work, but from what I've seen the industry is setting itself up for somebody to stroll in and eat every bit of everyone's lunch.

    What I see is the potential for blood running in the streets on this one. So, before the line forms for every last one of you to get on the other side of my prediction as it has before, I'd suggest you reconsider your track record. Wanting me to be wrong doesn't mean I'm wrong.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4675661].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Studio13
    Can you imagine turning on the television and reading a sales letter?
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4677050].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author rbates
    I guess if you are a Billy Mays or some super pitch person, then
    making 20 - 30 minute video-mercials is okay.

    I personally will click off of them if they are more than a few
    minutes long (less if a bad presentation).

    I don't think that using video is wrong, but I do think that those
    who put them together forget that time is precious for most of us.
    With text you can get what you want to know in seconds. You used
    to be able to click through a video presentation (some still let you), but
    these so-called "Guru's" who like to hear themselves talk always disable
    this function. To me most of these guys are a real pain in the - well,
    Back End! I guess that I don't know why these videos can't be kept to
    the old "Short and Sweet" style that would benefit everyone.

    The bottom line is, if people will allow themselves to be "Sucked in"
    by these time consuming videos, then they will continue to be used
    by more and more people.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4677210].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author kento57
    10 minutes is way too long for an introductory sales letter. 3 minutes or less is good. Beyond that you run the risk of losing the prospect.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4678197].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author sanjaypande
      Originally Posted by kento57 View Post

      10 minutes is way too long for an introductory sales letter. 3 minutes or less is good. Beyond that you run the risk of losing the prospect.
      ... and 10 pages is too long for a salesletter?

      I'll use a popular "American" response here

      Yeah, Whatever!

      Ted Nicholas said it best for sales letters:

      "It can never be too long, it can only be too boring"

      Video is no different from that perspective.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4678697].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author IceIceBaby
    Im testing different layouts and methods daily. Video was one major thing in our sales pages. We were testing different videos, with autoplay, no autoplay, above fold, below fold etc.

    Conclusion: it depends

    - We saw that autoplay video can decrease avg time on site and conversion on sites that are focused on people in offices. People surf the net all the time while at work, they just dont like their boss to know. Sudden sounds are not very good for such covert operations.

    - We saw that most people dont play videos that are not set to auto play, while at work. Same reason as above. Conversion here is also lower, because video is taking place from quality copy.

    - Videos can be long, but its very hard to make them interesting. Rule of thumb: short, "punchy" videos work best most of the time.

    - Combination of 2 videos on site works great. One very short video with key benefits or claims above the fold and a link to long video below fold can increase conversion dramatically

    We were playing with these conclusions and PPC ads a bit. In the morning, when most people are at work we run campaigns showing sites with no videos above fold and maybe just include a video in the body of site.

    We also funnel visitors to these sites in our emails.

    We switch to "video" pages after 5PM.


    So, the main question can not be answered easily and straight forward. Like everything else in marketing, it depends. Video CAN do wonders, but not in every case and not in any form.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4679024].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author davemiz
    last time i checked, we're in the direct response marketing bizness.... that, unless i'm wrong, means opinons dont matter, you gotta test it.

    i do.

    The numbers, unfortunately, prove otherwise... vsl's, if done right, can make a LOT of money.

    The way I do them is by giving content in the video... while selling at the same time... coming from the bencivenga school of thought, "make your advertising valuable"...
    Signature

    “Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.”
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4679077].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Glenn@AllGoodCopy
    Big discussion and too many points to cover. But there is one thing that no one appears to have mentioned and it's the most fundamental reason why video sales letters are working at the moment.

    Before I explain though, I should add that I don't personally like them. I'm a COPY writer, not a VIDEO writer. But I think over time it will be proved that the best videos are merely adaptations of the best long copy letters. The novelty of delivery will eventually wear off and people will once again be forced to improve their copy.

    But regarding why video works is all to do with engagement. The aim of a sales letter is to engage the reader enough that they read your letter at the speed you intend them to. You want them to listen to your argument and then sell them. But in truth most people read the headline and lead and then scroll down to the price to see how much it is. If the price is acceptable, they'll start reading again.

    However, with a video sales letter (one that's done properly with a hidden scroll bar) the reader - or viewer - must listen to your sale argument as you intended it. The pace, the content and the price are all delivered at the point YOU intended.

    When the point of sale arrives, a reader is more engaged and more sold on the product or service.

    That's why video is working at the moment.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4685904].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author YasirYar
    Originally Posted by max5ty View Post

    Ok, I know I'm throwing a lot of posts up tonight...

    Only because....

    Here's my take on video sales letters.

    Don't do them.

    Nobody wants to sit around and listen to 10 minutes of you drone on and on about something.

    Here's what I'm thinking.

    Make it like a mini movie..

    Make it something that people will want to watch.

    Something that will change their life...in that 5 minutes or so.
    Dont know about that one.. I have heard that videos outperform traditional sales letters by a lot.. simply because most people are lazy and they do not want to read.

    Also, many marketers these days have video sales pages WITHOUT even using any pause or stop buttons and this is said to have increased conversions..

    Would I want a video sales page for my products? Nope.

    But thats just because I think I am a better copy writer and will not perform good on video.

    Just saying.
    Signature

    >>>Get your websites ACTUALLY ranked by checking these out: Quantum SEO Labs, Home Page Link Building & SERP Ability. Want to get rid of negative listings? Check out Reputation Enhancer.

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4686728].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author EricMN
    I find the thing that makes or breaks the video is the speaker. A solid speaker can keep me listening start to finish. If, however, they are dry with zero excitement and no intonation. . . I don't care what they're selling.

    But you can't deny they work. And whether you like them or not frankly doesn't matter. We're in the business of selling. That means when we're at odds with what works, we suck it up and go with what works.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4690950].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Raiel Schwartz
    I read a few replies, quickly realized that a lot of people
    in these type of threads are almost like "internet cavemen",
    then stopped reading.

    Look, text is powerful, always has been, always will be. But
    what is the main purpose of selling a product or service online?
    To communicate to your prospect why your solution is for them.

    I don't know about you, but if I had to read a advertising brochure
    then make an informed decision, it would feel A LOT LESS personal
    then if someone made a video presentation for me, and then told
    me the decision is mine...

    In the latter, I get to feel the speaker's emotions behind his
    story. In fact, if the product is actually solid, having video
    is only going to make it that much easier to sell (when things
    ring legitimate, conversions increase)

    I don't really want to say to much about this... If you are
    debating salesletter vs video salesletter, do the testing
    for your specific site or niche, but to simply say text is
    better is foolish at best. If you could HEAR and VISUALIZE
    you are incorporating more physical senses into the
    conversion factor.

    If you are just reading text, then the prospect's mind
    has to do all the work...

    Sometimes you just have to make things easier
    for others...

    - R.S.

    P.S. A copywriter who is truly honest in his abilities would
    ONLY use videos as a means to improve conversions. Why
    would video detract from your conversion? Just because
    its a video, doesn't mean that it will not require principals
    of copywriting or marketing.... There is still a 'formula' that
    is being followed.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4695889].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author trevorhickey
    I have to admit - I would rather read text than watch a video
    Signature

    Trevor Hickey, B.A.
    Internet Marketer - who actually gets results


    P.S. If you want to see how I make money - you can see how at http://goo.gl/U6KB4

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4697516].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John_S
    I would love to see an example of this too?
    Just look in your swipe file. Oh. Wait. Forgot where I was for a second...

    Pair Up Wash Bag


    Hey ....that's not what the guru video sales letters look like! Just forget I ever showed you this.


    Holy heck; location shoots in exotic locations like a laundromat?! Two, no three other people using the product? Voice inflection?! Buyout music? Who has the time to do all that? ...Is that guy wearing pants?!

    Don't I know you guys don't have money for a wardrobe with pants and clothes and stuff.

    You guys can't pay for a nice site like that, you're selling two hundred dollar courses and Hawaiian condos, not a laundry bag for way under twenty bucks!!!

    Sheesh. I bet that guy doesn't even own that laundromat.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4697668].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John_S
    Pretty is not the point.

    Having some design maven make a fuss over the production values is not the point. Having impeccable lighting is not the point. Having super graphics is not the point.

    Your Website Doesn't Have To Be Pretty.

    Pretty rots your brain. It is a nice to have, but frankly doesn't add up to much ...aside from steering you in the wrong direction.

    Absolutely nothing wrong with pretty. But don't look to boost response. Response may go down.

    How could the roughly shot YouTube version be better? First off, as a way to get people off youtube and onto the site. Testing just one option, either phone or web. Next, using before and after, although the cleaning part is not the central selling point, it's still part of the offer.

    A hundred people will look at this and ninety-nine percent will evaluate how pretty the video is. I can not help those people.

    What would improve the aesthetics? Consistency of look between the video and the site. Do not have one guy design the brochure ... another the site ...somebody else doing the video ...another gal design a magazine ad. All without looking at anything else anybody has done; all going off in different good looking directions.

    Wendy the Snapple Lady is your video marketing guru. The trick? The gimmick? The short cut? Authenticity.

    And sorry graphics art people, there's no Authenticity command in the PhotoShop drop downs.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4700291].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author davemiz
    acutally John_s.... good design, done right, can and does boost response.

    I've been saying this for the last 10 years.

    In fact, my current split test is proving this theory once again.

    page with design +22% increase in conversion vs no design.

    58,000 uniques so far on this test and its still running, so to me, thats pretty valid.

    Again, the key is the design absolutely must be high end and done for response.

    Most clients dont have a clue what this type of design looks like, so they think they have one but they dont.
    Signature

    “Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.”
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4702292].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author John_S
    Most clients dont have a clue what this type of design looks like, so they think they have one but they dont.
    This is the tree falling in the semantic forest. Does it make a sound?

    Yes design can be effective. No, that's not how it is being done in the vast majority of cases. It doesn't matter because that vast majority insists otherwise.

    In fact, my current split test is proving this theory once again.
    And what is the percentage insisting their design works who don't test?

    vs no design.
    No such thing. No design is still a form of design. A design formed out of a different set of assumptions, but still resulting in a design. Binary ...that'd be "no design." The source code view of the page ...that might be considered "no design."

    A design maturity model might be...

    ...Design by default. Still design, but could be called no design. You build something, and however it looks that is the design. Another way to describe it is design by construction. The very best, the uppermost limit of this stage might be utilitarian styling. At its more common worst, Frankensteining ...without the benefit of being addicted to Meth.

    ...Design as styling. Problem is, people think this means design as decoration, specifically pretty design or design as fashion.

    ...Design as process. IA and ID. (don't ask)

    ...Design as strategy. Kansei and Captology. (ditto)
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4702708].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Azarna
      At this moment I am a consumer not a creator of info products, so with this in mind might I humbly offer my two cents worth?

      I do find the sort of video where it is someone talking and the only visuals are snippets of what he is saying off putting - i.e. it is sort of like a powerpoint lecture. This doesn't really constitute very imaginative use of video in my book.

      Perhaps I am shallow, but when I click play on a video I want to see pictures, images, animation something other than the exact same thing I have in my ears.

      Surely the whole point of adding visuals is to... well add visuals?

      Let me see the person talking, that is a nice touch, instantly brings a name on a page into 3d humanness. Show me your product in action - isn't that the purpose of advertising?

      So yes, I do like video - but if it appears to have been cobbled together just for the sake of having a video (any old video will do) then it can be quite a turn off.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4703604].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author jasonl70
      Originally Posted by Justin Quick View Post

      People... supposedly copywriters... from this thread keep saying, "I don't like them" or some derivative of that statement...

      Who gives a sh*t what you like? It doesn't matter what you like. If the PROSPECT is interested, they will watch. Just because you're not interested doesn't mean it's a horrible tactic. And maybe the videos you don't like are just poorly done.
      I was wondering if anyone else was going to point this out!

      So many responses from so called "copywriters" were based on their personal opinions of them as a consumer! That's like, what? The #1 biggest rookie mistake?

      My next big product will certainly use a video salesletter.. the only people who will see a text salesletter are those whom I detect are on a slow connection... and even then, I may just make a lower bandwidth version video for them instead of text.

      heck - even Dan Kennedy is using video now!
      Signature

      -Jason

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4752663].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bruce Wedding
    While marketers like drone on about how important mobile marketing is, they continue to send out links to video sales letters not viewable on a smart phone like my Samsung Android. Guess what, while video may work, it has to be seen to work. I view most of my email on my phone and if you're link doesn't play on my phone, I'll never get back to watching it on my PC.

    This has happened to me multiple times in the last few months.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[4753165].message }}

Trending Topics