Copywriters Are To Blame for the Ignorance Taking Over the Planet!

37 replies
I was watching Good Morning America while working out to wake up my sludge-brain…

…And a segment came on that was headlined by, “controversial children’s book” about how animals are treated during slaughter, the adverse effects of raising mass-farm stock to the planet and whether or not veganism should be taught to young kids.

In short: “how our dietary decisions affect our world.”

Well…

Like the headline says, Copywriters Are To Blame for the Ignorance Taking Over the Planet!

That… and lots of cold, hard cash!

You see…

The slaughter and dairy industry will have us believe that in order to be healthy, you have to follow the politically-manufactured Food Pyramid.

Just in case y’all aren’t aware, the Food Pyramid is the creation of early lobbying in government during the Nixon Administration, I believe.

The government came out with a report recommending the “ideal American diet” that said “little or no meat and dairy.”

Those two industries cried bloody murder, saying that if that report was broadcasted to the American people, it would be their demise.

So…

The report was rescinded and the birth of what the government now calls the Food Pyramid was born.

Since then…

Copywriters have been bankrolled, en masse, by the meat and dairy industries to tell the American people that the ideal American diet should have large quantities of meat and dairy.

Let me bring this back around to G.M.A…

The segment asked if teaching Veganism to young kids was appropriate.
I was shocked.

People (and the media) are so absurdly brainwashed to actually believe the made-up rhetoric that these major lobbying forces tell us is, um, actually true…

…a message brought to us via high-paid copywriters who HELP these HUGE industries market their ignorant message to the world.

After all…

All the money in the world couldn’t convince people that eating meat (from cows that are seldom fed any real nutrition) is an ideal diet.

Well, unless it was marketed just right.

And now…

People stand up and actually fight for the message that has been ingrained in them through television marketing, government support and fast-food restaurants, like McDonalds, that have all kinds of cash to continue taking advantage of the toxic-food-addicted.

Let me answer the question posed by G.M.A…

Is teaching Veganism (and the negative aspects of the animal-based products industries) appropriate to teach children?

Um, yeah.

And if people are truly stupid enough to believe billion-dollar-marketing over the gobs of information freely available to them in, you know, books and stuff…

…then this human race deserves whatever the elusive space God, preached in the made-up, lobbying-born-bible perpetrates against the sinful people…

…a.k.a. vegans.

Mark Pescetti

P.S. Is it really any surprise that major diseases have skyrocketed since “the ideal American diet” has been preached with vigor? Hmmmm….

P.P.S. I wonder what would happen if Vegan and Vegetarian lobbyists showed up in Washington and whined about how unfair their endorsement of meat and dairy REALLY is. Probably nothing…

…unless high-paid copywriters were hired to re-educated people.
#blame #copywriters #ignorance #planet #taking
  • Profile picture of the author RickCopy
    The copywriting discussion value in this is pretty thin imo but I'll bite...

    I dont see a problem with teaching kids about veganism, vegetarianism and all the other food "isms" out there. I especially think children should be taught about where their food comes from and why it's important to eat responsibly from an early age. However, why do you think its the schools responsibility or even right to take education of belief systems out of the home and into the classroom? How is this any different than pushing religious beliefs at school?

    As far as your "copywriters are poisoning us all!" comments...theres just as many facts for your argument as there are against it. Just because one group shouts louder than the other or has more cash to pay for propaganda doesnt mean they're right. In truth both the vegans and the USDA are stretching the truth for their own agendas....logical people know that the real truth is somewhere in the middle.

    just my $0.02
    Rick
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6087487].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author arfasaira
      As a mother myself, I'm all too familiar with the 'next fad' being preached en masse as you suggest...

      But common sense has to kick-in somewhere. I don't know if anyone saw hungry for change (HUNGRY FOR CHANGE ® | Hungry For Change Home) but I have to tell you - it opened my eyes WIDE!

      You see, (and I'll tell you guys now that my weight is a sensitive issue) for years I've battled with the weight since having my kids. When the diet industry said eat low fat, I ate low fat.

      When they told me eat low carb, I did just that. I even tried the evil Atkins diet and the Dukan diet which was created by a Dr...and in it (shock, horror ) he recommended ditching sugar and replacing with aspartame.

      When I didn't lose the weight promised, I had to seriously question why. And then (and Mark Andrews knows I had severe problems with this) my teeth kept breaking. In 4 months, my teeth have cracked and broken 4 times...in fact, I was in the dental chair today having a crown fitting.

      Then I found I was getting severe digestive problems which were causing me misery. So when I watched Hungry for Change, it knocked me for 6. Now I KNOW EXACTLY WHY I WASN'T losing weight!

      Because the food industries employ good copywriters to perpetuate the myths of their 'diet'. Ok, not totally blaming them, because we all have a choice, but they make the foods or the new diets sound irresistible - There's a reason the word 'die' is in diet

      So my reaction? I've thrown out the aspartame (did you know pilots are forbidden to drink diet cola? That's because the artificial sweeteners ROT your brain and can lead to visual problems), ditched the white sugar and stopped bringing food with MSG in it (look up MSG obesity induced mice and you'll understand why).

      Diet foods don't make you slim - they make you fat and SICK and keep you hooked by feeding you the promise their rubbish manufactured food is going to make you slim...

      Ever heard of people dying from eating whole foods?

      So, I'm now on day 3 of my detox - I've had NOTHING but pure fruit and vegetables juiced up and water. My son has severe eczema, and I went spare trying to find a remedy for him. I stopped the processed food and gave him fruit and veg juice...after one week, his eczema has finally stopped bleeding and started to heal.

      As for me, I cook 90% of my meals from scratch and MSG is a no-go for me. The meat is on the back burner and instead we're having more fish. I've switched the eggs to organic and now the milk will be organic too.

      As a copywriter myself, I'm ashamed to admit I totally fell for every diet out there - all dressed up to be the 'cure' by other copywriters. 3 days of detoxing and my skin looks amazing, I've got tons of energy and I've dropped 3lbs.

      And my kids aren't as hyper anymore. In my family, we have a history of heart disease, diabetes and 2 years ago, my father had most of his stomach removed from cancer. He is still sick to this day...

      And now, we just found out that my brother's best friend who is just 29 and has two young children has to have his rectum removed (he already had his lower colon removed last year) from cancer. We are all praying for him to get better soon...

      ...and it all stemmed from poor food choices dressed up as 'healthy'

      It's ironic how we die in the West due to too much food, whereas people in the third world die from a lack of it. That's messed up.

      If we eat like our ancestors did - lots of fresh produce and occasional meat, we will be fine. We make it far more complicated than it is, and we have our lovely food industries, advertising agencies and copywriters to partially thank for the 68% of Americans and 40% of Europeans who are obese - the rest is really up to us to do our due diligence and learn the truth ourselves.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6087787].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author WittyBlogger
        Originally Posted by arfasaira View Post

        But common sense has to kick-in somewhere. I don't know if anyone saw hungry for change (HUNGRY FOR CHANGE ® | Hungry For Change Home) but I have to tell you - it opened my eyes WIDE!
        ...
        As a copywriter myself, I'm ashamed to admit I totally fell for every diet out there - all dressed up to be the 'cure' by other copywriters. 3 days of detoxing and my skin looks amazing, I've got tons of energy and I've dropped 3lbs.
        ...
        And now, we just found out that my brother's best friend who is just 29 and has two young children has to have his rectum removed (he already had his lower colon removed last year) from cancer. We are all praying for him to get better soon...
        Sorry to hear that arfasaira.
        Sounds like a handful.

        Someone I was close to passed away a week ago from aorta aneurysm's post-surgery effects. Apparently the blood vessel's walls couldn't take it.

        My brother had appendicitis the other month - but he passed the surgery (thank god).

        We're not immune to copy even as copywriters. Yes, it makes us aware - but good copy is designed to dig deep into our core emotions. We're helpless if we're prospects.

        Mark, pretty thought-provoking. I've always inwardly "blamed" the copy industry for promoting things like cigarettes. Look at the skyrocketing rates of lung cancer.

        Sometimes, we need to pause and wonder before we write copy... Are we committing a white lie? Or a lie that will destroy lives?

        -wittyblogger
        Signature
        7-figure entrepreneurs aren't made overnight. You can make money online with a full time income through blogging and making words crackle with energy. ;)
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6087881].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Ken Hoffman
    This post has nothing to do with copywriting or marketing. Perhaps try posting it in a Vegan forum.
    Signature
    http://www.warriorforum.com/warriors...ost-sales.html
    Professional Direct Response Copywriting
    50% Off Limited Time Offer!
    "http://www.profitproducingcopy.com"
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6087628].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Paul Hancox
    Well, I've always said that copywriting is a form of propaganda.

    That's because the copywriter is, by definition, a cheerleader for the product owner.

    However, on a personal level, you don't have to "sell out"... as long as you write only for products you genuinely believe in. Then it becomes more about telling the TRUTH in a world of propaganda.

    If that means writing exclusively for vegan products, go for it. Help the vegan companies to become the next McDonald's.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6087638].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Shadowflux
      Copywriters aren't to blame for the rampant ignorance infecting our society, individuals are to blame for their own ignorance. Between books, the internet and everything in between you can learn anything you want, you just have to put forth the effort.

      Copywriting is just one aspect to advertizing so you can't place all the blame for everything on the writers.

      Copywriters and advertising people are also responsible for the viral (bad word to use in this case) marketing campaign "Got Milk?"

      I've read that they're also responsible for why you need to add an egg into instant cake mix, it makes people feel like they're a baker.

      You guys should hear what George Carlin had to say about marketers.
      Signature
      Native Advertising Specialist
      Dangerously Effective
      Always Discreet
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6087706].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RickCopy
    fwiw Atkins isnt a scam... I lost 20lb on it in the last month. If you cheat on Atkins though you're more likely to gain weight than lose it. Its definitely not an easy diet to keep up with.

    As far as writing copy you ethically dont agree with... I doubt i'd be able to write really good copy for something I honestly didnt feel right about....and for that reason alone I probably wouldnt take a project like that.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6087996].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Ken Hoffman
      Originally Posted by RickCopy View Post

      fwiw Atkins isnt a scam... I lost 20lb on it in the last month. If you cheat on Atkins though you're more likely to gain weight than lose it. Its definitely not an easy diet to keep up with.

      As far as writing copy you ethically dont agree with... I doubt i'd be able to write really good copy for something I honestly didnt feel right about....and for that reason alone I probably wouldnt take a project like that.
      Atkins is not a scam. But it will kill you over time. Once you go off it (and everyone always does) you will gain weight. Losing and gaining repeatedly causes things like type 2 diabetes.

      Check out "Eat To Live" by Dr. Fuhrman. It is based on healthy eating principles that are medically time tested. It ain't easy to follow, but far better than jumping on and off of diets.

      In a nutshell: Eat mostly fruits and veges. Then whole grains, beans and legumes. A little meat. No sugar and white flour.
      Signature
      http://www.warriorforum.com/warriors...ost-sales.html
      Professional Direct Response Copywriting
      50% Off Limited Time Offer!
      "http://www.profitproducingcopy.com"
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6088635].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author colmodwyer
    It's amazing you don't see the hypocrisy in your post (vegan propaganda)... where's the copywriting lesson?

    Colm
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6088008].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Raydal
      Originally Posted by colmodwyer View Post

      It's amazing you don't see the hypocrisy in your post (vegan propaganda)... where's the copywriting lesson?

      Colm
      Is it propaganda if it is true?

      -Ray Edwards
      Signature
      The most powerful and concentrated copywriting training online today bar none! Autoresponder Writing Email SECRETS
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6088187].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RickDuris
    Don't know why, but I write better copy after a BBQed porterhouse steak. - Rick Duris

    PS: And Mark, refresh your knowledge-base. They retired the Food Pyramid for the "Food Plate" months ago.

    http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&s...70&tx=67&ty=97

    Those damn copywriters are at it again! Notice, meat is conspicuously absent.
    Signature
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6088154].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author debml
      Originally Posted by RickDuris View Post

      Don't know why, but I write better copy after a BBQed porterhouse steak. - Rick Duris
      Who eats steak without a nice bottle of red wine?

      If eating steak possessed any risk, certainly the benefits of drinking red wine offset that

      Perhaps someone should study how this combination affects ones ability to write copy...
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6088246].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Zeplix
        I feel this is aimed somewhat at the wrong people here, but I also feel many of the comments made by people here aren't exactly decent either.

        First, no, it's not the individuals fault (necessarily, anyway), that they are ignorant, or believe in something that isn't true. That's the same kind of thinking that brings up the "rape victims are asking for it" mentality, or the "It's his own fault for being mugged, shouldn't have walked around there at night."
        Yes, you can do more to prevent these situations, and your ignorance, but someone feeding you misinformation in a cleverly disguised way, and you believing it, is hardly "your fault".

        That said, it's not the fault of the copywriters either... or rather, it's not ONLY their fault. They are part of a much bigger community, such as advertisers, marketers, designers, CEO's, and so forth, who are collectively at fault. Or put simply: the fault lies on the people doing the misinformation. Saying it's copywriters fault for misinformation, is like saying it's the fault of all humans that someone got mugged.
        There are decent people in the world, and, well, less decent people in the world.

        Though staying a bit more on the topic of this post, you copywriters can't say "it's not my fault" either, at least not all of you. Because SOME of you HAVE helped bring this about. Not all, certainly, but saying "I'm just writing the sales copy, not my fault!" isn't going to cut it.

        What the core of all this is really about, is ethics and morals in advertising and marketing, which if you do a bit of research on it, is nothing new being discussed. Heck, if you're interested in the topic, and read Danish (or really like Google Translate), I can send you a 10 page thesis I did on this very subject while taking my Masters Degree in Visual Communication at the Danish Royal Art Academy.

        Well, I've ranted on long enough now.

        Have a good day!
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6088385].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author NickN
      Originally Posted by RickDuris View Post

      Don't know why, but I write better copy after a BBQed porterhouse steak. - Rick Duris

      PS: And Mark, refresh your knowledge-base. They retired the Food Pyramid for the "Food Plate" months ago.

      Google Image Result for http://www.reverseagingnews.com/foodplate.jpg

      Those damn copywriters are at it again! Notice, meat is conspicuously absent.
      I like how it has actual food groups, then randomly throws "protein" in there.
      Signature

      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6088414].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author RickDuris
        Originally Posted by NickN View Post

        I like how it has actual food groups, then randomly throws "protein" in there.
        I believe there was nothing random about that word decision, Nick. Somebody in the US Beef Association is probably really mad.

        Just like there was nothing random about the diary component either:

        1. It's positioning outside the plate implies diary is optional.

        2. It's size implies it's less essential/relevant than the others.

        3. Why they didn't color it white is beyond me. But you can bet the color blue was deliberate as well.

        I think it's propaganda at its finest. And I bet if you stare at it long enough, you'll find the word "OBEY."

        - Rick Duris
        Signature
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6088658].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author NickN
          Originally Posted by RickDuris View Post

          I believe there was nothing random about that word decision, Nick. Somebody in the US Beef Association is probably really mad.

          Just like there was nothing nothing random about the diary component either:

          1. It's positioning outside the plate implies diary is optional.

          2. It's size implies it's less essential/relevant than the others.

          3. Why they didn't color it white is beyond me. But you can bet the color blue was deliberate as well.

          I think it's propaganda at it's finest. And I bet if you stare at it long enough, you'll find the word "OBEY."

          - Rick Duris
          Yeah, I'm positive that the word "protein" is intentional. I just meant that it seems out of place, considering protein is a chemical compound and not a food group.

          I read the government spent $2 million (!!!) on this thing. So I'm sure at least a little bit of thought went into it.
          Signature

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6088872].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Pusateri
    People love sweet. People love salty. People love fat. Evolution made us this way.

    When you're that on target, the copy is almost irrelevant.

    For most people, nothing trumps "I like it." Not even "It might kill you."
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6089356].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author videolover7
      I was watching Good Morning America while working out to wake up my sludge-brain…
      Try working out some more, because it doesn't appear you quite got all the sludge out.

      First of all, this is not the place to post rants about dietary topics.

      And second, like Colm said, your post is hypocritical. You write copy to persuade people for a living, and yet you rant against people writing copy to persuade people.

      Sheesh.

      VL
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6089510].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
        Originally Posted by videolover7 View Post

        Try working out some more, because it doesn't appear you quite got all the sludge out.

        First of all, this is not the place to post rants about dietary topics.

        And second, like Colm said, your post is hypocritical. You write copy to persuade people for a living, and yet you rant against people writing copy to persuade people.

        Sheesh.

        VL
        It does belong here.

        There are copywriters with integrity... And those without.

        If the beef industry gave me a jingle RIGHT NOW, I'd say F U.

        However.

        There are definitely more than enough top notch copywriters who would take the gig to perpetuate helping an industry that is destroying the planet.

        And yes, it IS a large part of how humans are destroying the planet.

        Imagine if the big money cattle industry was dependent on lowly content writers to sell their message of "what's for dinner?"

        Wouldn't work as well, would it?

        A lot of food companies financially struggle to get certified organic, much less have the investment funds to hire a top gun copywriter to light up the market for them.

        There IS a certain level of integrity that copywriters need to adhere to...

        ...and figure out different ways to make a living, like creating and selling your own products, rather than being dependent upon jobs that perpetuate ignorance and mis-truths.

        This is about recognizing the business side of copywriting and helping people understand there IS a consequence to helping companies that are, um, evil.

        Mark Pescetti

        P.S. Since I've compared copywriters to to Jedi Knights, let me ask you: do you write for the dark side of the force or the guys with the green lightsabers?
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6092497].message }}
        • Yes, yes of course we only write for stuff that we believe in.

          Now tell me...

          Are eggs good for you or not?


          Steve
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6092533].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author videolover7
          Originally Posted by Reflection Marketing View Post


          And yes, it IS a large part of how humans are destroying the planet.
          Don't worry. A nuclear holocaust will take out the planet well before the cattle industry, the timber industry, or so-called global warming will.


          P.S. Since I've compared copywriters to to Jedi Knights, let me ask you: do you write for the dark side of the force or the guys with the green lightsabers?
          When I was writing copy for clients, I only wrote for products and services that I believed offered true value.

          VL
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6093250].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Zeplix
        Originally Posted by videolover7 View Post

        And second, like Colm said, your post is hypocritical. You write copy to persuade people for a living, and yet you rant against people writing copy to persuade people.
        That's not hypocritical though, unless he specifically thinks it's fine for him to to so, but not for anyone else.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6096261].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Alex Ceskavich
          ... What?

          What the hell are you talking about?

          - Alex
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6105973].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author SMSWriter
        Originally Posted by videolover7 View Post

        Try working out some more, because it doesn't appear you quite got all the sludge out.

        First of all, this is not the place to post rants about dietary topics.

        And second, like Colm said, your post is hypocritical. You write copy to persuade people for a living, and yet you rant against people writing copy to persuade people.

        Sheesh.

        VL
        Agreed. SMH.

        And furthermore, Mark. COPYWRITERS ARE NOT responsible, as a collective unit, for destroying the planet. I'm a vegan too, but I know Big Ag / Dairy are chiefly responsible for the mass marketing (at least in the US. Not sure about the "planet" as you assert) and governmental lobbying that convinces folks that this is okay.

        However, as a former SAD dieter, I can tell you that no one is more responsible than the people who choose to eat that way. In today's information rich world, I do not believe that people are as blindly ignorant as you suggest.

        I have been listening to Coca-Cola's and McDonald's promotional campaigns since I was a very little girl. They have systematically told me that Coke is "refreshing" or that Mickey D's was about "food, folks, and fun" or that I "gotta love it". I never personally found it to be so and, thus, never subscribed to the belief that it was.

        As a vegan, I promote my lifestyle choice as a healthier, kinder option for myself and for the planet. I hope that others will be inspired to join me.

        But I never disparage or denigrate them or become dogmatic in my views. That's also not in harmony with the positive mindset you promote on your blog or in previous posts I've read from you.

        I don't think it's fair to condemn the copywriting industry and its constituents (a large number of whom eat meat and dairy anyway) for writing about milk and steak.

        The fact that humans eat meat is not some corrupt corporate scheme born of the covert dealings of industrial agriculture and the US government. It has not been wrought upon the masses against their will or hammered into the human psyche with vicious propaganda.

        Men have eaten meat for millenia, long before the existence of commercial agriculture or any governmentally sponsored 'food program'.

        Like it or not, Big Beef and Dairy are here to stay. And your ranting against the copywriters they employ won't change that.

        Shanen
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6106070].message }}
        • Here in the UK most of the meat is tasteless.

          If it does have any flavor is usually highly processed and /or stuffed full of additives.

          Not good.

          Luckily I've persuaded "Sasha's" dinner to stock organic fee range eggs.

          I can live without the bacon.

          I don't suppose I can be a vegan if I eat eggs? (because technically a hen is an animal...)


          Steve
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6106493].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
          Originally Posted by Shanen Smith View Post

          Agreed. SMH.

          And furthermore, Mark. COPYWRITERS ARE NOT responsible, as a collective unit, for destroying the planet. I'm a vegan too, but I know Big Ag / Dairy are chiefly responsible for the mass marketing (at least in the US. Not sure about the "planet" as you assert) and governmental lobbying that convinces folks that this is okay.

          However, as a former SAD dieter, I can tell you that no one is more responsible than the people who choose to eat that way. In today's information rich world, I do not believe that people are as blindly ignorant as you suggest.

          I have been listening to Coca-Cola's and McDonald's promotional campaigns since I was a very little girl. They have systematically told me that Coke is "refreshing" or that Mickey D's was about "food, folks, and fun" or that I "gotta love it". I never personally found it to be so and, thus, never subscribed to the belief that it was.

          As a vegan, I promote my lifestyle choice as a healthier, kinder option for myself and for the planet. I hope that others will be inspired to join me.

          But I never disparage or denigrate them or become dogmatic in my views. That's also not in harmony with the positive mindset you promote on your blog or in previous posts I've read from you.

          I don't think it's fair to condemn the copywriting industry and its constituents (a large number of whom eat meat and dairy anyway) for writing about milk and steak.

          The fact that humans eat meat is not some corrupt corporate scheme born of the covert dealings of industrial agriculture and the US government. It has not been wrought upon the masses against their will or hammered into the human psyche with vicious propaganda.

          Men have eaten meat for millenia, long before the existence of commercial agriculture or any governmentally sponsored 'food program'.

          Like it or not, Big Beef and Dairy are here to stay. And your ranting against the copywriters they employ won't change that.

          Shanen
          Personal accountability is where it's at.

          I grew up in the "alternative health" industry and cured myself of terminal brain cancer when I was 9 years old.

          I had to learn these lessons young.

          But I have a saying:

          Results don't lie!

          Yes, people are accountable for their own actions...

          ...and there's also the component of big industries doing everything they can to hide how destructive their products truly are.

          Can people do the research themselves and course-correct their lives?

          Heck yeah!

          Will they?

          Most won't.

          Why?

          Because they're addicts.

          And the cattle-based industries no that.

          Read Arfa's post above again.

          Mark Pescetti

          P.S. I assume everyone realizes I took a sensationalistic standpoint in this thread to make a point. If you didn't get that, shame on you.

          P.P.S. You know what's scary? A copywriter without a conscience. You know what's even scarier? A shameless horror, who will write for anyone because they're greedy... Or haven't figured out how to make their own products and leverage their abilities and take on clients that are determined to lie.

          P.P.P.S. Have people eaten meat since, well, forever? Yup. But if you research HOW the cattle-based industries became so big, what's really in their meat and dairy, how they treat the animals, what their practiceS are doing to the planet, etc., you'll quickly see this is a horribly corrupt business. Yes, they do manipulate people. And yes, they do lie to make more money. Don't be naive.

          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6107180].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author The Marketeer
            Originally Posted by Reflection Marketing View Post


            P.S. I assume everyone realizes I took a sensationalistic standpoint in this thread to make a point. If you didn't get that, shame on you.
            It seems like you achieved that objective, for sure.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6112403].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author colmodwyer
    Is it propaganda if it is true?

    -Ray Edwards
    Emm... yes.

    Colm
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6089497].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Steve Hill
    As long as we're on the subject of food and copywriting, along with the alleged evils of the meat and dairy industry, it might be worthwhile to take a look at the effects that hormones from meat and dairy are having on people, especially kids.

    A quick Google search will turn up lots of information about it.

    There is an increasing prevalence of early puberty, cancers, systemic diseases, and lots of other things that go considerably beyond a simple meat/vegan argument. They are not necessarily linked directly to hormones in the food chain, but there appears to be a strong correlation. The meat and dairy industry is largely silent on the matter.

    There is a reason why humans have meat-eating canine teeth, but back before grocery stores and refrigerators, meat was an occasional thing. If everyone stuck to the Caveman Diet, people would probably be a lot healthier for it...except the difference today is hormones and pesticides.

    No easy answers, except for common sense and moderation...and perhaps consumer education followed by popular demand for change.
    Signature
    Learn more - earn more: Books for Copywriters
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6089700].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author WittyBlogger
      I believe it's the processing of the food that really makes the big difference.

      And who knows what GM food really does to you? I mean, they can change the DNA for all I care - but certain research has shown food giving unknown allergies like when the food contains lectin that isn't supposed to be there. And then the nut sufferers go nuts.

      And oh well - packaging. What a damn fine job they did. I heard they kick coleslaw across the floor over here. And meat sludge grosses me out. Imagine a chicken's head with the eyeballs being grinded into sludge.

      However.... Nah. I'm never ditching meat.

      But as the saying goes... "Copy cannot educate people."

      It's been a century of campaigns. We can't reverse that.

      -wittyblogger
      Signature
      7-figure entrepreneurs aren't made overnight. You can make money online with a full time income through blogging and making words crackle with energy. ;)
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6090101].message }}
      • It's best I leave the food debate to others.

        Because Sasha's excellent diner - close to my copywriting attic has a "strictly no health food policy"

        But can I ask a quick question -

        Are eggs good for you?

        And if so what is the best way to cook them - I'm taking a wild guess that fried is not the the preferred option.

        Thanks everyone - for helping to improve my diet.

        Steve
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6091970].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RickCopy
    Obviously you've developed your viewpoints on this based on your environment, upbringing and your own personal morals. Hey....good on you. If that's your thing, that's your thing...cool with me and I think its pretty awesome you can keep up a vegan diet because Id assume its probably not easy. Good for you if you genuinely feel bad for these animals....seriously.

    Can I ask a question though? Can you give me a guestimate on how often a vegan/religious nut/politard/pro-life activitst/(insert your own personal belief here) hears this statement in the middle of a debate with someone that disagrees with them?

    "OMG You're right!!! Thank you so much!!! Its so clear now!! How could I have been so stupid?!"

    I'm pretty sure that number is pretty small no?

    You're not going to convert anyone here... the best copywriter in the world isnt going to convince me (and I doubt anyone else) to go vegan permanantly. There is zero chance the "big meat" industry is ever going to go away and I really dont think propaganda copy is keeping people eating meat....thats just silly.

    Live whatever life you want to live...but c'mon... lets not pretend you didnt post this to get a little holier than thou ego boost.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6112789].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Anna7
      Well, Don't you think it's quite unfair to blame copywriters for the ignorance taking over the world? Especially since people have been hunting and eating meat before they began copywriting.
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6126394].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mark Pescetti
        Originally Posted by Anna7 View Post

        Well, Don't you think it's quite unfair to blame copywriters for the ignorance taking over the world? Especially since people have been hunting and eating meat before they began copywriting.
        No.

        I blame the people who raise cattle, treat them poorly, feed them zero nutrients, stuff'em in tractor-trailers to their fate, where they're slaughtered with zero dignity.

        Copywriters just help spread the message that "beef is what's for dinner."

        The whole "primal instinct" argument about humans eating meat totally disregards how corporations treat these animals.

        And...

        The paleolithic diet (a.k.a. the caveman diet) utilizes WAY more than just meat.

        I've actually written a sales letter for the paleo diet. (Yes, I help sell meat.)

        But if you research what that diet is and how the planet would be affected is everyone ate that way, the big cattle industry would shrink in size by over half.

        Better than nothing.

        Mark Pescetti

        P.S. Who here remembers the Wendy's commercials where the old lady asked: "Where's the beef?"

        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6126537].message }}

Trending Topics