Why your post has been deleted...

20 replies
AN OPEN LETTER TO THE WF CW SUBSECTION REGULARS


To whom it may concern:

I do not know why your post has been deleted.

I do not care enough about why your post has been deleted to research this for you.

There are a number of ways and reasons why a post gets deleted. Some of these include:

One - an entire thread gets nuked, taking your post down the toilet with it.

Two - the "member moderators" of our community reported the post, triggering an automatic removal.

Three - you have been viciously and ruthlessly censored, silenced, and your free speech stifled all in service of a nefarious, nihilistic, cynical attempt to control everyone's perception of you. Yes, they are out to get you.

Clear as mud? Good.

Please don't PM me, or e-mail me, or Facebook me, and especially don't call me...

...to ask me why. K?

Your friendly neighborhood mod,

Brian McLeod
#deleted #post
  • Profile picture of the author Bill Jeffels
    Brian, Thanks for pointing this out.

    It does seem some need a refresher on that.

    Here's something to get your week-end going



    Best,

    JEFFELS
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6223717].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author Mark Andrews
      Banned
      I've had well over 2,000 posts disappear in the past - it is what it is. So what? It's all good.

      If you're experiencing one or two posts disappear now and again, get over it and yourself.

      Life is too short for worrying about such inconsequential trivialities. Just move on. Always move on. You can't do nowt about the past but what you do in the here and now, is what's most important.

      And in the big scheme of things... a few posts disappearing - big deal!


      Mark Andrews
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6223749].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author RedShifted
    /\ Are you saying that almost 50% of every post you make gets deleted?

    You must be posting some very controversial stuff as you only have 1,567 posts in the first place. Add 2000 to that, we get 3,567 posts.

    So out of 3,567 posts, 2000 deleted. Thats 43% of all Mark Andrew posts evaporating off the face of the Earth. Am I the only one who finds that weird? Like really weird? I've had less than 1% of my posts deleted since coming here, sounds almost like you're trying to get your posts deleted (if I may be frank).

    -Red
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6225630].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Bruce Wedding
    I had a valuable critique disappear a few days ago; one which provided actionable advice to the poster regarding his poor excuse for a letter.

    It was wiped. I figured it was a trigger-happy moderator thinking I was too hard on the poor boy. I didn't complain, pm or re-post. I just decided to not respond next time a crit request like that comes up. No point in trying to add value to a forum which doesn't appreciate it.
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6226560].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author JakeDaly
      I have to ask, Brian.. has someone actually called you in the past to ask about a deleted post?
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6226655].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author BrianMcLeod
        Originally Posted by JakeDaly View Post

        I have to ask, Brian.. has someone actually called you in the past to ask about a deleted post?
        Indeed, it's happened multiple times...

        The reason I made this post was not to whine (ok, a little) as much as to inform folks that I typically have NO CLUE why or how your post ended up getting nuked.

        Sometimes mods can see who deleted a thread or a post, often we cannot.

        So, I'm left saying "I don't know..." while the angry person is left thinking I'm full of **** and just not telling.

        Either way, it's a massive mutual waste of energy.

        It's just a forum, folks.

        Brian
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6231023].message }}
    • Profile picture of the author videolover7
      Originally Posted by Bruce Wedding View Post

      I had a valuable critique disappear a few days ago; one which provided actionable advice to the poster regarding his poor excuse for a letter.

      It was wiped. I figured it was a trigger-happy moderator thinking I was too hard on the poor boy. I didn't complain, pm or re-post. I just decided to not respond next time a crit request like that comes up. No point in trying to add value to a forum which doesn't appreciate it.
      Bear in mind... this forum is a business. So it's reasonable to assume that business decisions favor the owner(s) first, the participants second.

      VL
      {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6226676].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Mark Andrews
        Banned
        Originally Posted by videolover7 View Post

        Bear in mind... this forum is a business. So it's reasonable to assume that business decisions favor the owner(s) first, the participants second.

        VL
        I think Bruce knows the score by now VL.

        You've only been here just over a couple of months - Bruce has been here for several years.


        Mark Andrews
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6226692].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author videolover7
          Originally Posted by Mark Andrews View Post

          I think Bruce knows the score by now VL.

          You've only been here just over a couple of months - Bruce has been here for several years.


          Mark Andrews
          Bruce is fully capable of speaking for himself.

          But thanks for your comment anyway.

          VL
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6227454].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Mark Andrews
            Banned
            Originally Posted by videolover7 View Post

            Bruce is fully capable of speaking for himself.

            But thanks for your comment anyway.

            VL
            Yes he is, I'm happy for you that you actually recognize the fact. Finally.


            Mark Andrews
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6227521].message }}
            • Ladies and Gentleman,

              Despite having spellbinding technology (actually a spell check would be good).

              There's always a slight possibility that even on this esteemed forum - a rare and unforeseen software glitch could leap out and bite.

              Of course it's never happendddded to meee bekause I usse a Mac.

              But before it happens to you - and you've spent ages writing a post.

              (You tend to get an early warning because the pages take longer to load).


              So, before you hit "Submit Reply"

              Save your brilliant words of wisdom on a word doc.

              So if it goes wonky.

              Post it again - when the battalion of technical experts have regenerated the elastic bands and gismos that makes everything work.


              sTEEVE
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6229198].message }}
      • Profile picture of the author Bruce Wedding
        Originally Posted by videolover7 View Post

        Bear in mind... this forum is a business. So it's reasonable to assume that business decisions favor the owner(s) first, the participants second.

        VL
        As Mark said, I'm well aware of that, though I'd disagree at this level. Posts are deleted by moderators who have only been given guidance by the owner. They follow this guidance, I assume, but then act, influenced by their own prejudices and opinions and are largely unchallenged.

        They are not compensated for moderation and I doubt they have very much, if any, contact with Allen Says.
        {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6232718].message }}
        • Profile picture of the author videolover7
          Originally Posted by Bruce Wedding View Post

          As Mark said, I'm well aware of that, though I'd disagree at this level. Posts are deleted by moderators who have only been given guidance by the owner. They follow this guidance, I assume, but then act, influenced by their own prejudices and opinions and are largely unchallenged.

          They are not compensated for moderation and I doubt they have very much, if any, contact with Allen Says.
          It's reasonable to assume the owner is okay with the results.

          VL
          {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6233021].message }}
          • Profile picture of the author Bruce Wedding
            Originally Posted by videolover7 View Post

            It's reasonable to assume the owner is okay with the results.

            VL
            Agree, though that doesn't reinforce your statement that its all business decisions. My belief is that as long as the membership base grows, the WSO section thrives, the display ads and sig ads run, Allen doesn't really care so much about the day to day post content.
            {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6233491].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author videolover7
              Originally Posted by Bruce Wedding View Post

              Agree, though that doesn't reinforce your statement that its all business decisions. My belief is that as long as the membership base grows, the WSO section thrives, the display ads and sig ads run, Allen doesn't really care so much about the day to day post content.
              If your belief is correct, that's a business decision on his part.

              VL
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6233512].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Bruce Wedding
                Originally Posted by videolover7 View Post

                If your belief is correct, that's a business decision on his part.

                VL
                I have a distinct feeling you want an argument or some kind of validation... Ok, you're right. It is a business decision. Getting out of bed is a business decision.
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6233635].message }}
            • Profile picture of the author BrianMcLeod
              Originally Posted by Bruce Wedding View Post

              Agree, though that doesn't reinforce your statement that its all business decisions. My belief is that as long as the membership base grows, the WSO section thrives, the display ads and sig ads run, Allen doesn't really care so much about the day to day post content.
              One might be very surprised just how many of the "where'd my post go" conversations start and stop with ADMIN.

              Although often it's not just a post that disappears - it's a member. Who else remembers the day's of getting N/A'd on the old system?

              Yet another reason why contacting a mod to demand to know "why?" isn't just annoying, it's often futile.

              I'm just a lowly sub-forum mod, I cannot ban members, see who or why someone got banned or really do anything other than keep this section somewhat organized and delete the most egregious, obvious spam...

              ...which I do unapologetically.

              And sure, there are times that I'll delete a string of back and forth pot shots between members that add nothing to the original topic - but I'm not here to stifle conversation.

              If people want to make idiots out of themselves publicly - this joint is a self-cleaning oven.

              Brian
              {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6235377].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author Steve Hill
                Originally Posted by BrianMcLeod View Post

                I'm just a lowly sub-forum mod, I cannot ban members, see who or why someone got banned or really do anything other than keep this section somewhat organized and delete the most egregious, obvious spam...

                ...which I do unapologetically.

                And sure, there are times that I'll delete a string of back and forth pot shots between members that add nothing to the original topic - but I'm not here to stifle conversation.
                Hey Brian - thanks for the moderation! I know it's often a thankless job, but most of us here really appreciate the efforts that the moderators put out.
                Signature
                Learn more - earn more: Books for Copywriters
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6235442].message }}
              • Profile picture of the author MikeHumphreys
                Originally Posted by BrianMcLeod View Post

                One might be very surprised just how many of the "where'd my post go" conversations start and stop with ADMIN.

                Although often it's not just a post that disappears - it's a member. Who else remembers the day's of getting N/A'd on the old system?

                Yet another reason why contacting a mod to demand to know "why?" isn't just annoying, it's often futile.

                I'm just a lowly sub-forum mod, I cannot ban members, see who or why someone got banned or really do anything other than keep this section somewhat organized and delete the most egregious, obvious spam...

                ...which I do unapologetically.

                And sure, there are times that I'll delete a string of back and forth pot shots between members that add nothing to the original topic - but I'm not here to stifle conversation.

                If people want to make idiots out of themselves publicly - this joint is a self-cleaning oven.

                Brian
                Brian, did you take my stapler?!?
                .
                .
                .
                .
                .
                Just kidding man.

                No joke... speaking from personal experience, being a moderator is a thankless job. I greatly appreciate your effort and every other moderator of this sub-forum.

                Take care,

                Mike
                {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6240327].message }}
  • Profile picture of the author Wytnyt
    Early college years I was mod and then promoted to admin of a forum for fiction/fantasy writers. I had to deal with with a lot of spam-like posts. Some of them weren't actually spam. Received quite a few hate emails and PMs.

    Such is life.
    Signature
    Take Advantage Of This Profit-Pulling Marketing "Vaccine" That Ensures Your Business Won't Be The Next To Flatline... Save Your Business... CLICK HERE NOW... or else... helplessly watch it fade into oblivion...
    {{ DiscussionBoard.errors[6227026].message }}

Trending Topics