1. Do not avoid the hard work. ''Write at least 20 to 25 good headlines,'' says legendary copywriter Gary Bencivenga. Apparently, no matter how good you think your first headline is, the nineteenth or twenty-second is likely to be better.
2. Write headlines where lines have a complete kernel of thought.
How Slash Your Total Cholesterol To 150 Or Below Naturally,
exhibits a complete kernel of thought while the same headline written this way does not.
How Slash Your Total
Cholesterol To 150 Or Below Naturally.
3. Write your copy in black against a white background. This is what the eye is used to; other design forms will depress response.
4. Never end page 1 of sales letter with a period. End it mid-sentence forcing the reader to move on to page 2. This increases readership and response.
5. When writing a guarantee, use one month instead of 30 days. ''One month is a longer time than thirty days.'' Says HERSCHELL GORDON LEWIS, in his book the Art of Writing Copy. In addition, half an hour sounds longer than thirty minutes, but sixty seconds seems shorter than one minute. This is a psychological key that controls human reaction.